Crossroads: Chapter 1

Azra
Bronze

Re: Crossroads: Chapter 1

Post by Azra » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:03 pm

Kat round her head swimming once the more corporeal people were made clear, their questions concerns and music joining the apparent sky voice. It was proving just a lot to take in. When it came to the cook's question Kat simply shook her head in response. She had no phone on her, normally kept that in a backpack or purse rather than directly on her person. Her pockets were not the nicest or most spacious to such a device. This was further harmed by her usual more outgoing and skating activities, any screw ups there would likely break the damn thing. Shame though lot some broke college student could do with three hundred, or alternatively that would cover buying a decent tattoo.

A few snaps in the distance, more toward the snapper then anyone or to a melody. Was testing hearing then? Curious if not concerning. Kat assumed one reason was possibly being deprived of such a sense, and sign language was not a talent the college student had. Music, a song she doesn't know to a style she doesn't listen to. Wasn't bad but there was two kinds of guitar and she favored the one that was electric. Being called a punk with a cat was apt though for her obnoxiously loud as the business man was that didn't phase her.

A mission was take the phone from the phone cult, the app addicts, the calling cuckoos not exactly something she was looking forward to. The rage some girls had in high school if a phone was broken or taken away was quite the dangerous thing. Was a moment to ask questions but the punk was hardly to be the first. The snapper as it were was first to pitch questions, they weren't bad but also not for Kat. She wasn't going to conform to others expectations. Vincent as it were was trying to be nice towards snapper but then lashed out at sky voice.

He was the kind of guy who could afford a Porsche and quick to anger. Not the most promising company. "Names would be nice, that includes you sky voice. Only questions I got is where do we look, anyway of knowing who? Do they got robes with app icons on them or something? And lastly are they dangerous?" Things already seemed to be pitching the idea they could die here. Wasn't their phone after all, she didn't think herself any sort of bad ass. But it went without saying you wanted to know if going to be skating through a sketchy neighborhood.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:46 pm

This certainly is an inquisitive group. Suppose I could have just thrown them out there without bothering to explain the situation first. Wouldn't bother me any - at least until they all died and I had to replace them. That's the trouble with being a long-term thinker like I am. You always end up having to answer questions.

Suppose we'd better get on that, then.
>What is this place we are being sent to?
The city's called "Perith." If that means anything, I'm sure everyone there's already forgotten. Been around for generations and generations. I don't expect you'll need to go outside the city limits, but if you do, watch out for the little critters under the hill. Most of 'em bite. City itself's decent enough, if you stay out of the midden heaps and aren't particular about indoor plumbing.
>You said cellphones are out of place?
Yes.
>Is it on a remote untouched island?
No.
>Or back in time?
No.
>What do we need to be careful of there?
Stupidity.
>What are the cultural norms that we need to abide by?
Finally, a decent question. You'll look like foreigners anyway, so a little weirdness on your part will be excused. The city functions under a standard council, with one representative for each major guild. Smaller guilds fall under the umbrella of one of the larger ones, who are responsible for their concerns. There's one singular religion - a fairly relatable monotheistic worship of "The Knowing One" - at least, there was one singular religion, until the cultists came up and started worshipping the cell phone as a Messiah - that being the whole reason you're going.

Next, please.
>Yeah jackass I have few questions, obviously I'm not back in San Fran right now, what's happening there while we're here?
That question requires a few conjectures - firstly, that I know what's happening in San Fran. Secondly, that I care, and thirdly, that if I did know and care, I would tell you. One or more of those statements is false.
>Did my deal with Delorean go through the bank yet?
See above.
>Is my Porsche okay?
No, it's hideous. What were you even thinking when you bought it?
>Are ya at least gonna point us in the direction of this stupid phone?
Follow the yellow brick road. Or just ask for directions. I'm sure you can figure something out. Anything else, or did you want to insult me a few more times? Do you think that will go well for you? Something to think about.

Next.
>Names would be nice, that includes you sky voice.
That's not a question.
>Only questions I got is where do we look, anyway of knowing who?
You look in the city. Somewhere, there will be a temple to the Messiah. How you get there is up to you.
>Do they got robes with app icons on them or something?
Do you have robes with idiot icons on them?
>And lastly are they dangerous?
Thinking is always dangerous. What you do with that information is up to you.

Great. I'm glad we've got that all sorted out. I hope you feel you've used your time wisely. Off you go, now.

With that, the room brightens - it's the opposite of fading, which is probably what they'd have expected. Everything just seems more real, and they're in a town square of some sort, next to a fountain of a winged pig barfing water onto the shoes of a three-legged leprechaun.

You'll note that I didn't mention that the people here were particularly renowned for their artistic taste.

As for the people, most of them seem to be going about their day, doing all those little things people do in markets, walking around with baskets or food or cloth or miniature statues of ugly babies or any of the other hundred little incidentals people think they need. Most of 'em are dressed in loose pants and tunics in bright colors, none of which match. There's definitely a few of them staring at the group, though. A couple of the younger ones are pointing, which is easy to do, since everyone there seems to have four arms.

In my defense, no one asked about that.

kotetsu

Post by kotetsu » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:44 am

He slowly and awkwardly stopped playing as clearly while well intention-ed, he was not yielding any results. The time he spent trying to get the attention of the shades, he hadn't payed the others around him much mind, which might have been a mistake. The shades behaved about as promised. He might have gotten a small gathering of about three of them...? Or was it a whole crowd? Either way it was getting him nowhere and the older suit wearing fellow didn't seem all that keen on letting him concentrate either. Something about him was worse than any heckler he's ever dealt with. The disinterest of the teenage looking girl on the other hand filled him with the grief of knowing that millennials like him were getting old and teenagers these days didn't recognize the music he grew up with.

Though he supposed that wasn't important right now. He positioned himself in a crouching position in front of his old guitar case. Questions were being tossed in the air and the voice was answering again sooner than expected, so what else was there to do but listen, regardless of how useful the questions and the follow up answers were. He'd look up and around and occasionally back to his guitar while it was going on.

Then the light hit. He hadn't prepared for this. Heck he hadn't even really decided that this wasn't a dream yet. Then the environment they were in all of the sudden. It fell upon him what the voice meant by looking like foreigners. This group was gonna stick out like a deer in headlights.

"Heeeeeey ... fellas... I'm so glad we made our trip for our successfully..." he said, maybe a little too high volume for the sake of the crowd hearing him.

Looking around to everyone who had come through from the crossroads. Walking up to Vincent he puts his arm around his shoulder as if they were old friends and he hadn't insulted his guitar playing earlier.

"If I know you I know you're eager to go out and party, but I suppose we ought to be finding a place to stay while we make our way to our objective." he said putting slightly extra emphasis on the word objective.

Current Characters
Roy McLean, JJ...
Currently Active RP's
Legacy: Chapter One, Crossroads: Chapter 1...
(RIP Azuria)

Azra
Bronze

Post by Azra » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:07 pm

Kat felt she had framed it more as a request then a question so she wasn't mad with the response. She didn't think it not a question however either. She tried to focus on what was being said however. City was Perith, which meant nothing to her did sound like Perish though. Anyplace named Perish or some shit was probably a place for horror stories, and while this wasn't hell because Purrderr was here she was willing to assume was still nightmarish in nature. Especially if there was no or bad plumbing. Which also told her to expect people to smell like ass, delightful.

Cellphones bad, but isn't out of time or on a island. So could be weirder, which meant they probably weren't totally screwed just yet. Expect stupidity, which well Kat always did. When someone's number one company was a cat it went without saying they likely didn't put much stalk in others. Next bit of info mentioned guilds, which was a bit more weird. Guilds, clubs, cults, religious groups. They were all one and the same, total weirdos who wanted to sacrifice a tattooed punk's soul to a sky father. Well maybe not, but she wasn't going to trust them long enough to be proven different. The rest of the questions seemed to be met with resistance. Some earned some not, but who knew if a sky voice was as into sacrifices as sky fathers so she figured she wouldn't pry to much.

"I do actually. My causin got me bath robe with some dumb ass iconic anime characters on it. Grew out of the shows but it's warm, so yes I've robes with dumb icons." Moments later the suroundings became less of a haze revealing people.

People with four arms for that matter. Which meant blending in was entirely hopeless, especially for a girl like her. A questionably dressed highly tattooed, dual hair colored skater wasn't going to fit in. So instead she rolled over to the cook who she knew had a phone. "Mind bringing out that phone of yours?" Though Kat would also try and just tug it free, she didn't want to be an ass but they weren't going to get anywhere keeping quiet. While throwing around a arm over Vincent and talking parties was certainly a idea it didn't seem as likely to get results.

So she stuck to trying to get the cook to flash the phone. "We're looking for more things like this. Rectangular electronics that light up. I'll also uh trade a finger for English to quadarmian dictionary if need be." She hadn't really been able to tell if they were speaking another language, or knew if she had anything to trade for a dictionary. Kat felt it worth a shot to try however.

cz_invazion
Bronze

Post by cz_invazion » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:06 am

The sudden change of scenery and appearence of a crowd made Vincent feel almost as embarrassedas the time he woke up in the hills in his birthday suit. He froze, his image ment alot to him and for the strangers in robes to be starring at them like clowns in a show made him sweat. "Umm ugh augh er..." We're the only words he could muster, if you could even call them words.

All of the sudden an arm reached around his shoulder, which made Vincent jump a little. It was the arm of the guitar player, how could he be so cool about this? After he made a statement with emphasis on words that Vincent picked up. "Errrunmmm yeah let's go find a room place for the sleeping." Vincent spoke out, trying his hardest not to over react. Then he heard the pink haired girl talk about phones and pulling one out, asking the crowd if they have seen anything similar. Vincent whisper yelled to Kat "Don't show them that they might confiscate it!"
Remember, when you go to war. If peace doesn't work carry the bigger stick.

Quirkless Deku

Post by Quirkless Deku » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:22 pm

Elijah had to admit that this had never crossed his mind as a possibility.
He'd thought the time idea was absurd, this was on another level.
The locals, with their four arms were already staring and pointing at them and the others were trying to draw more attention to themselves.
Elijah's heart was racing. He backed away from the others a bit. He needed a moment.
He'd always hated being the center of attention. This was practically a nightmare. And maybe it was. He still hadn't decided on the exact nature of what he was experiencing.
He took a deep breath.
There was no way they were going to blend in.
And now that the girl had made a scene about the cell phone they were clearly going to be seen as being connected to the cult. Elijah had no idea what that would mean. Would they be deemed heretics? would the locals laugh them off, or try to burn them at the stake? They didn't know enough about what they were getting themselves into, and the others seemed to want to just jump straight into things without thinking them through.
There was a part of him that was starting to panic as it all began to sink in.
no, he told himself, it would be okay, they would figure this out. It was just like in star trek. They were going where no one had gone before. The mission itself was just like the prime directive. They had to make sure not to interfere and to undo the interference that had occurred last time. Was it silly that he was using a show to focus himself? probably, but he didn't really care. It was enough to get his courage back. All he had to do was frame their group as an away team.
Whatever place this was, it seemed to have a breathable atmosphere and similar gravity. That was good. The people were humanoid with an additional set of arms. Their art...well it was different. He would study the stars once they were visible to confirm whether or not they were on Earth. His current hypothesis was that this was a different planet, but it didn't hurt to confirm. That was assuming, of course that they would still be here once it got dark, and that this planet wasn't in tidal lock with it's sun.
"I agree, we need to find a place to rest. And get a drink," Elijah said, hoping that if they had anything normal, they would have coffee.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:05 am

Ever notice how when you put someone exactly where they need to be, the first thing they do is try to be somewhere else? No? Well. I guess that's just a me thing. My little group has taken it into their heads that they need to find lodgings for some strange reason, as if they intend to be here for a while. Maybe I shouldn't judge. Maybe I should just trust in their apparent assessment of their ineptitude and plan on it taking months to get the job done.

What are they planning on paying with, anyway? I'd think even these folks could probably figure out this isn't the sort of place that takes Visa. Are they going to hand over their cell phones so I have to find another group to fix all of this?

Nothing like job security, is there?

Well, it doesn't take long for them to attract some attention, a woman walks up with a child in two of her arms and a basket in each of the others. She hesitates just a minute, like she's not real sure about all this, then inquires, rather kindly, "Are you folks all right?"

They're fine, lady. Just not the sharpest thumbtacks in the pegboard. She doesn't respond to that, though, probably because I'm not talking to her. The others can hear me just fine, though. Some say once you've been through the Crossroads, the voice can talk to you any time.

Think about that next time you're in the shower.

The flash of the phone gets a reaction, though: she clutches the children to her more tightly, drops the baskets, and makes a gesture that's pretty obviously of the warding-evil variant. Not everyone's a cultist, after all. "Please, put that away," she tells them, which is the most sensible thing anyone's said in a while.

Trust me, I'm as surprised as anyone that one of my troupe said it first.

The woman backs away, as if her shopping doesn't matter any more - only her children, and getting away from all of this. Her empty hands sign something else, maybe a benediction. "The Knowing One forgive you."

We'll see whether that happens.