To Be a Hero

Myrn
Swiggity Swooty

Re: To Be a Hero

Post by Myrn » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:51 am

Yuri padded out of the changing room quietly only to be caught by surprise from Nina. The outstretched hand marking her as the recipient of the previous statement. She silently stared a moment or two before reaching out with her own hand hesitantly. Her handshake was but a weak grip and a shake. Not the best proper shake but a handshake nonetheless. Yuri glanced up at Nina after and tugged the cloth that covered her face lower after she had taken her hand back. An awkward smile curled her lips and she spoke as soft as ever.

"A pleasure. Your presentation was quite the riveting one."
"He seemed the sort to even Dream in suave."

Wint
Member+

Post by Wint » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:04 am

The ghost girl luckily did not ghost Nina as she walked into the room.
With her hand stretched, it had been a couple of moments of silence before her gesture was reciprocated.
Oh right, maybe I shouldn't be this direct?... Now that what she had affected how things would play out later and how her time in school would pay off, Nina had to learn to choose her words carefully.
It was clear that Yuri was making an effort, and Nina truly appreciated it. Her smile was subtle, but it was grander than many others she has seen mostly by honesty.
"Hehe, thanks. I've always loved messing around with my portals. This time it turned out to be useful. But I should be congratulating you, the way you handled Pulp Boy earlier was incredible. He was completely phased once he finally woke up. Well, more dazed."

Remembering why they all gathered here today, she then asked. "Hey, what do you know about Camazotz, our mentor?"
“The tongue is the most remarkable. For we use it both to taste out sweet wine and bitter poison, thus also do we utter words both sweet and sour with the same tongue.”
― Neil Gaiman, The Graveyard Book

Lev

Post by Lev » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:10 am

She rubbed the fabric between her fingers for a long moment before finally deciding to try it on. The body of the suit, made equally of mesh and a sleek nylon, had a color that reminded Akemi of the sea cows she'd read about in her marine-life books. Every shade of grey rippled through the fabric, darker and darker, with a soft blue twinkle that flashed across the eye only to disappear the moment it was seen. If she wasn't so daunted by what came from wearing it, Akemi might've admired the craftsmanship.

When she contorted her body to fit inside the tight suit, wiggling this way and that, Akemi was able to feel ultra-thin wires running through the dark fabric. She traced the trail delicately with her fingers and found that they even twined through the mesh cut-outs like snakes in the grass.

Strange, Akemi thought.

She couldn't fathom what purpose the hidden wires could serve, or what she was supposed to know about them. Akemi recalled the large packet of information she'd received about costume allowances from the school. She'd also remembered the excitement when previous classmates discussed the prospect of receiving one. Dozens of pages listed the rules and restrictions for personal design. For Akemi it was all too overwhelming. So, ultimately, she chose to fill out the outdated questionnaire at the very back... and let UA handle the rest. Then, as she was strapping on her strange boots, she started to question her decision. When she held the final piece of the ensemble in her pale hands, letting it stare back at her with empty eyes, she'd regretted it completely.

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:56 am

1,376 steps. It took 1,376 steps to go from the main school campus to Ground Beta, and somehow, Suzuki managed to squeeze double that number in words during the class' trip there. It helped, of course, that she didn't take a single breath. She barely took a break from talking at all. If she were more aware of her partner, she might have stopped every now and then to let her reply, but as it was she just trampled over poor Chuya's sparse replies with more words of her own.

She couldn't help it - she was just too excited! The first day of school was already shaping up to be everything she'd dreamed. Cool teachers, cool classmates, and a promise of training alongside pro-heroes?! It was all too much to handle.

"And I was thinking - maybe we could do a thing where I blow really hard and you hang onto my hands and we just sorta spin in a circle really fast while you shoot your coins all over the place," she prattled, only halting beside the rest of the class through instinct. "And maybe I can learn to sorta go slow so you can aim better and then fast to stop us from getting hit back and we can be like a super top - I like that name, Super Top, that can be the move name -"

An old man standing in the clearing cleared his throat, and Suzuki audibly swallowed her next few words. So, this was their next teacher. What had he said his name was? Gran... Treeno? She hadn't heard of him before, but then again, she hadn't heard of Bou-sensei either. Living in the country had its perks, but it also left you cut out from the rest of the world. The sparse news her papa allowed her to watch was often cut out by static, and news really wasn't fun to watch, anyway. It was much more fun to chase frogs in the creek!

Too late, she realized Treeno-sensei had already dismissed them, and she sped off after the rest of her classmates. Into the locker room-

The sleepy boy, Shun, was rising from the floor, Rocko standing grumpily over him. Off to the side, the new boy - Lee? - was getting dressed, and others-- and others--

"Sorry!" the red-faced Suzuki squeaked, backpedaling out of the locker room and slamming the door. Okay, it was the other side. The other side. Got it. She opened the remaining door (guessing really wasn't hard when you already knew the wrong answer), and breathed a sigh of relief when the sight of her class' other half greeted her. Shaken, but not bowed, Suzuki half-walked, half-skipped into the room, delivering comments all the way.

"Those buttons are so cute, Chuya!"

"Eimi was your name, right? That color is adorable on you!"

"Nina, you look like a buffet table!"

"Gah, Yuri, you look so cool!"

"I love those wings, Miki!"

At last, after a veritable adventure, her locker. She opened it up and could hardly contain her squeal of joy - it was exactly what she'd asked for, right down to the little shoes. Excited, she flung off her clothes and pulled the costume on over top, fluffing out the cape behind her. It wasn't the most practical design. She didn't have practicality in mind when she'd sent in her request. When did she ever? She'd spent the night after being accepted painstakingly pouring over clothing catalogs, narrowing down the choices of things she wanted her father'd never had the money to buy. Of course, this wasn't the exact same, but it looked like it, and that was good enough. No, not just good enough. Perfect.

Folding her clothes in her locker as neatly as she could manage (Suzuki never got the hang of it), she closed her door, and turned to see the room emptying. With a cheerful grin, she hopped over to Akemi and tapped her on the shoulder.

"Tada!" she exclaimed, throwing her arms wide, spinning side to side to twirl her cloak. "Aren't our costumes amazing? Oooh, and I love the color on yours. It looks so sleek and shimmery!"
Alone she drifts from ancient mists
Nary a candle, nary a wish
But in the wont of wandering paths
Through wooded knolls, and windworn crags
She seeks a face she thought as friend
But now -- she thinks as judgement's end

Myrn
Swiggity Swooty

Post by Myrn » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:10 am

Yuri was more than happy to listen to the chatty Nina. She chuckled to herself when Nina had mentioned what had happened to the knucklehead of a boy and continued to smile. She supposed this was a blessing as Yuri wasn't required to handle the quiet between them when one of them tends to be a chatterbox. This was nice. She could get used to this.

"Hey, what do you know about Camazotz, our mentor?" Before Yuri could answer she was interrupted by a Suzuki complimenting her outfit before they dashed off to compliment the others. Yuri's cheeks tinged a slight pink out of embarrassment as she began to feel self conscious. She even tugged her jacket close if only to hide most of her away underneath.

"I don't really know much about her other than her being like a bat. I... should probably pay more attention to the lower ranks, huh?
"He seemed the sort to even Dream in suave."

Someguy500

Post by Someguy500 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:39 pm

"Hop to it!"

Having joined the rest of the class in Ground Beta, Lee stood up straight and headed to the boys' lockers as ordered. His walk was brisk and purposeful, like he was focusing on something. Really, he'd felt something... off on the way here, like a sound on the edge of your hearing you can't pin down. He was glad to have a distraction. Opening his locker, he found his costume, neatly folded. The dour boy changed into them without much ceremony, to the point of even ignoring the brief intrusion by one of the girls. After putting it on over a plain white undershirt and shorts, he examined the outfit briefly. On the surface, it looked like a simple grey long-sleeved Tai Chi shirt and matching pants, perhaps straight out of 19th century China. As he started stretching experimentally, it became clear that this wasn't just an outfit for a Kung Fu movie. His forearms, legs and torso were properly padded and armored, and the padding thinned over his joints to preserve flexibility. Plus, there were first-aid supplies stashed in the insides of his sleeves. Finally, he held his headgear in hand. A dark balaclava, over which fitted a clear full-face mask. As he put them on, he allowed himself some amusement. As expected of UA's partner companies, they certainly delivered here.

Turning around, Hao regarded the two behind him who were currently making a scene. The larger one was standing over the lazy one, likely taunting him after pushing him down. Lee exhaled. There was no point to this.

"Our goal is to become heroes, not to play around." The mask did little to muffle his blunt, serious tone.

As he turned to walk past, Hao stopped short. There was that feeling again. Turning his head, he focused on his senses rather than his thoughts for a moment. His eyes widened in surprise, though it was mostly hidden by the mask. He hadn't caught this boy's name, but... his body was brimming with energy. Even power-loaders didn't show so much without actively using their Quirk. There was no reason why he would act so languidly. He was just taking it from the bigger one. Why? Lee forced the surprise off his face and continued pacing back towards the main area. This one's Quirk. What was it?
Last edited by Someguy500 on Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Annasiel wrote:"Lewd the twinsies"
- September 2018

Wint
Member+

Post by Wint » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:10 pm

"Hey, don't sweat-"
Hey Nina you look like a fucking table.
"Aw, th-thanks, Su..."

Stop being so self-conscious, people will tell. Do what you know, and know what you do.

"As I was saying, I don't really keep up with some of the stuff either. Though I do like hearing more about the villains. It's so weird thinking of someone just deciding to hunt people, kill for the fame and glory and the desire to be recognized."
It stung. Nina wished to understand the bad people, or at least the bad guys who always popped in news articles and news stories.
It sucked to have so many of them just be single-minded maniacs, and it hurt when any hope Nina had for them was tarnished.

She didn't want to bore anyone, and aside from Suzuki who was excited by everything, it was hard to get any pro-villain opinions or at least ones neutral enough to have a kind discussion about them. Maybe a quieter fellow like Yuri would work? Though, just in case it didn't, Nina had a backup plan in mind.

"So, I guess we should come up with strategies? Tell me about your quirk."
“The tongue is the most remarkable. For we use it both to taste out sweet wine and bitter poison, thus also do we utter words both sweet and sour with the same tongue.”
― Neil Gaiman, The Graveyard Book

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:59 am

Chuya slipped her blazer off her shoulders and neatly placed it onto a hanger which she hung within her locker. Her white button up undershirt was next, which she folded up carefully and placed on the bottom, her skirt too received the same treatment, and her shoes with her socks placed inside were placed into a cubby hole at the top. With a broad grin on her lips Chuya picked up her costume and hugged it to her chest. This was so cool! She had her own uniform already! And it looked just like how she wanted it to be!

With all haste, Chuya slipped a thin mesh shirt over her head before she pulled the long coat over her shoulder, and with nimble excited fingers she buttoned the costume closed. She stepped back and forth, letting the light fabric swish back and forth. It was light, cool, it was everything she had hoped it would be.

“Those buttons are so cute, Chuya!" Suzuki chirped, before she hurried off to compliment someone else.

“Yeah! Thank you!” Chuya responded back, her smile still bright even if Suzuki wasn’t paying attention any longer.

Quickly Chuya clipped a few metal hair clips onto her bangs, before she pulled her hair into a bun wish she held in place with a pair of metal hairpins. Finished, Chuya glanced over to see what Suzuki was up to, it seemed she had dressed quickly and was already chatting with someone else. It was amazing how quickly that girl could work a room. With a smile and shrug, Chuya made her way out of the locker room.
//… and it was there, and her blade flicked out catching only air. She backed from the door, worn floorboards shivering with each misplaced step...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III

Lev

Post by Lev » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:42 pm

Akemi's mind was off in thought as the other girls slowly filtered out of the locker room, their cheerful voices passing admirations back and forth like a pack of mint candies.

None of them had masks,Akemi thought grimly. The questionnaire didn't mention anything about masks.

The mask was unremarkable. An oval shape with flat cheeks and soft chin that rounded just below the lips. The lips were supple and carved with barely the hint of a smirk like they were holding a secret, but lacked all color. They were powdery white like the rest of the face... except the eyes. Black pools stared back at her doggedly, sunken beneath an alabaster brow and devouring any light that cast on them. Their intensity made Akemi's stomach a tangle of knots.

Suddenly, a wet feeling - like a splash of water - pulled Akemi's attention toward her shoulder. Her hand groped the fabric for the spill but found nothing. The nylon, the mesh, and Suzuki's retracting hand were all dry. The pig-tailed girl was going on about something with a big smile and her arms thrown open, but Akemi didn't register any of her words.

What was that just now? Why didn't I feel-"

Suzuki was finished talking, and the locker room was nearly empty. Akemi needed to get herself together.

"Y-yeah," Akemi agreed without knowing why. Then she hurriedly tucked the mask back into her locker, sparing it one more glance before shutting the door. "Let's go," she said.

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:58 am

There was a rare gap of silence following Akemi's last words. Suzuki's lips pursed and the quiet hung over the pair, oppressive blanket and imminent guillotine alike. The concerned frown shattered into a cheery smile, however, and the silence was soon punctured by a prattling gatling gun of words.

"So, you've got that Rocko guy as your partner? He seems pretty grumpy, but maybe that's just 'cause he has problems with blood sugar. My aunt on my momma's side had trouble with blood sugar," Suzuki said knowingly as she chased after Akemi, hands planted firmly on her hips. "She stayed with us a lot when momma was sick and she was always super snappy when she was hungry. Maybe he'd be nicer if we got him some cake!"

He had said something about emergency sandwiches, hadn't he? Yeah, blood sugar trouble made perfect sense.

"My partner's really nice, I met her a little while after meeting you. She was in trouble and we had to fight some bad guys," the girl continued. Still on the same breath and beat, she threw two punches into the open air, dramatic sound-effects included. "We took 'em out though and they went running!"

Another rare pause.

"Do you need a hug? You kinda look like you need a hug."
Alone she drifts from ancient mists
Nary a candle, nary a wish
But in the wont of wandering paths
Through wooded knolls, and windworn crags
She seeks a face she thought as friend
But now -- she thinks as judgement's end