Friends in the Void. 1x1 RP

Ramjammer

Friends in the Void. 1x1 RP

Post by Ramjammer » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:18 am

OOC/Character Board
http://rp-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=6760

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
This was not good.

This was in fact, probably the farthest one could get from good.

The cool fall evening meant that many people would not be out at a time like this which was just as well, Rasteva would hate to be seen like THIS. Leaves rustled wildly as something small and dark zipped over them. A cloud of smoke so black that it absorbed all light coiled and darted across the ground. This in and of itself was already odd. Even odder that the cloud of smoke as talking.

"Absolutely unacceptable! To think that I would be degraded in such a manner!" The Cloud darted across the ground erratically, all the while a deep voice bellowed from within. "Such an embarrassment, that is all this is. To be laid to ruin by WEAKLINGS, my power stolen by the unworthy. How could I allow such a thing to happen?" Only the wind answered the cloud of smoke, and it was an unwelcome answer at that. The cloud began to thin, almost in danger of dissipating completely.

Needless to say, the voice was not amused.

"Unbelievable! To think that I would be stricken down by a mere breeze! I must hurry if I cannot find a form I-"

The voice stopped short, taking sudden notice in the sound of footsteps approaching them. Someone was coming.

This was good, better than their current predicament. Whoever it was that approached was sure to have something on them that Rasteva could use as a temporary form. Once there they could make plans to regain their former strength.

But they had to act quickly.

The wind was beginning to pick up tremendously and Rasteva cursed themselves internally. Each gust of air only dissipated their smoke form further and they were getting dangerously close to falling apart altogether. The Daemon tried to collect their form as much as they could only to have someone walk straight through their body, causing them to unwind once more.The Daemon let out a sound of irritation as the Human rushed past "How rude! If I had a good and proper body, you'd be regretting that!" Rasteva silenced themselves, realizing that the human had long since left and wouldn't have heard the Daemon anyway. And what could have Rasteva done if they had? Given them a severe coughing fit? The Daemon's ego shrunk a few sizes, the realization of how powerless they were fully hitting them. When they had a body they were strong, but now they were nothing.

Less than nothing.

But that could all change.

Shaking off the intrusive thoughts Rasteva resumed their previous course of action. "A body. I need a body. Any body will do. And once I am strong enough I can begin regaining my former glory. But until I have a physical form-" The Daemon cut themselves short, taking notice of a human idling nearby.

Perfect.

Or at the very least, better than nothing. The wisp of smoke darted towards the unwary Human, quick as a Viper hunting their prey. All the while the Daemon was hoping, praying, that the Human held the one thing they needed.

Only then could their real work begin.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Richard watched the digital display over the Elevator's doors in silence, the numbers on it changing at what felt like a Snail's pace. He wasn't late for his meeting with the CEO. He was never late. But that didn't make the wait any more bearable. The Chief of Security grumbled softly, a gloved hand coming up to fiddle with his tie. These meetings were not uncommon, Lorette took the safety of the building and all inside of it as seriously as she did the rest of her duties. However, she rarely called Richard to her Office so late in the evening, especially without making sure to schedule an appointment with him beforehand. He knew that the matter had to be serious if Lorette was willing to go off schedule and mentally prepared himself for the worst.

The Elevator dinged softly as it finally reached the top floor, and the doors had barely opened before Richard stepped through them. The floor was eerily silent, the Receptionist's desk empty in the dimly lit area. The Chief of Security set off at a brisk pace towards the imposing double doors situated just beyond the large desk, his footfalls muffled by the plush carpet on the floor. He didn't even make ready to knock as the CEO's voice rang loudly from within her office. She had expected him to arrive on time as he always did and wasted no time in bidding him to enter. Years ago, Robert had found her perception and timing unsettling, but now he could only appreciate the efficiency it afforded him. The massive office was as dimly lit as the rest of the floor and Richard could make out Lorette's form as she stood facing the floor to ceiling windows at the opposite end of the room. The many lights illuminating Arnvista cast a soft glow around the room, and for a moment the CEO was silent as she stared out at the busy streets.

"Lorette, do you think you can skip the dramatics this time and tell me why you called me up here?" Richard closed the heavy wooden door with a small grunt before turning to face the woman once more. Lorette pivoted sharply on a heel to face Robert, a stern glare leveled on him. A lesser man might have shrunk back from her gaze, but Robert had found himself under it for many years now and it had long since become exhausting to constantly cower before her.

"I will be leaving for Tokyo in a few hours. Ms. Oshiro will be accompanying me there. As you are well aware by now, Sato-Yamasaki Genetics will be doing business with us going forward and I will be visiting their Headquarters to finalize our agreement." Richard sighed and sank into the chair seated in front of Lorette's imposing black desk. "I'm going to go ahead and assume there's more. I can't imagine that you'd call me all the way up here for something you could have just texted me." Richard leaned back in the plush chair, spinning it side to side as he eyed the CEO carefully. As was usual, her face betrayed none of her inner thoughts, but the man was not stupid enough to believe that she had nothing else planned for him. "This is a very crucial time for us Mr.Solberg. Sato-Yamasaki will, of course, be sending some of their own people overseas to assist in future projects here in the States. And while I have the utmost trust in them you are well aware of what is at risk should we allow anything to slip past our notice." The Chief of Security nodded silently, waiting for her to continue. "I need you go about finding a security force for our new Research facility. Nikhil will give you the details on what he needs specifically."

Richard leaned back in the chair to stare up at the ceiling in silence for a moment, not quite ready to voice his thoughts. He could feel Lorette's gaze continuing to bore into him and knew that she would not wait all night for a response. "So, you're taking the Lieutenant on a vacation overseas and leaving me to round up some new people along with maintaining the security of this building AND a Research Facility out in the middle of nowhere with Nikhil?" Robert looked back at Lorette, his blue eyes narrowed. "Did you know that I own a home, Lorette? I have a house, with a roof and a bed. At some point this year, I'd like to sleep in it." Lorette's expression and tone did not change, seeming unbothered by the man's quips. "Junior Officer Kinnaird is more than capable of carrying the workload with you Robert. Her....exuberance aside, she's proven to be more than effective at her job. She can handle things here while you are out with Nikhil. Allister will be staying behind as well and I'm sure that he can keep an eye on things while we're both away."

Lorette moved away from the windows, her footsteps ringing loudly on the polished stone floor as she approached the sulking Chief of Security. A gloved hand settled gently on his shoulder and gave it a small reassuring squeeze. "It'll be fine Richard. I know I'm asking a lot of you right now, but you that it's only because I know you're capable of doing it." Richard glanced up at the woman, the small smile gracing the edge of her mouth not escaping his notice. "And besides, it's not as if I sleep in my own house any more than you do in yours. Sometimes I wonder if I'll forget where it is one day." The hand moved away along with Lorette as she walked away before coming to pause before the double doors of her office."I will contact you when we land. Please turn the lights off when you leave." Richard didn't bother watching her as she left, and once the doors had slammed shut the office descended back into silence.

Richard rubbed tiredly at his face and resigned himself to his fate, knowing there was no point in crying over things as they were. Reaching into his jacket he pulled out his phone and tapped at the screen, pulling up a familiar number. The phone rang twice before the person on the other side picked up. The voice on the other end was thick with exhaustion, no doubt its owner had been asleep before Richard had called, but he wasted no time on that. "Kinnaird. I know you're off but I need you back at the Office. Something has come up-Are you crying? If you want to cry, then do it on your way over here. Now move your ass." Richard ended the call to loud tearful protests on the other side before tucking his phone away, muttering balefully to himself. "At least she got to sleep tonight...."
Matsuko grinned stupidly at her phone's screen, a string of expletive-riddled messages displayed prominently on the backlit surface. "To the surprise of no one, Audrey's pissed. She's probably going to set headquarters on fire, you know." She looked across the aisle towards Lorette, the CEO's expression as unreadable as always. "Tell the Junior Officer that if she plans to burn HQ to the ground, she'd best be prepared to pay the millions of dollars needed to rebuild it." Matsuko let out a short laugh, tapping idly at her phone. "So what's the plan once we get there? I'm not sure that I'll be of much help, Allister usually goes with you to these things and I don't like leaving Richard and Audrey unattended." Lorette continued staring out the plane's window, her voice even as she watched the clouds roll by. "Don't be ridiculous Ms. Oshiro. Your presence will be indispensable at this meeting. I will need you to remain observant once we arrive at Sato-Yamasaki Headquarters. Pay very close attention to their Security measures, and keep a close eye on the people that they choose to present to us. We are there to forge an agreement with them, but I'd feel better knowing how they operate."

A gloved finger tapped idly at the armrest of her seat, and Lorette pressed on. "And I need you to translate for me." Matsuko arched a brow, eyeing the CEO quizzically. "You speak Japanese pretty decently if I remember. What do you need me to translate for?" Lorette's gaze slid over to the Lieutenant, her voice remaining even. "I speak the language well enough, but not enough to catch any subtle nuances in everyday conversation. Something that is quite important when conducting business." Lorette resumed staring out the plane's window. "And as far as they know, I don't speak it at all. I want them lulled into enough of a false sense of security that they might think me ignorant of everything that's going on. They may very well let slip something that they don't want me to hear."

Matsuko pursed her lips, brows knitted together. "You think they might be up to something?" Lorette did not make any movement to confirm or deny the other woman's question."Hanshiro Sato does good business, but I hear that he enjoys stringing along potential suitors. He has no love for Americans either, though you wouldn't know it. Currently, I don't know if he plans to make the same offer that he's giving us to any of our competition. But I do know that if given the opportunity to gain the upper hand, he will take it. I want you to keep your eyes and ears open while we are there Ms. Oshiro. Is that understood?" Matsko nodded silently, knowing that Lorette would see it one way or the other. "You've got it." Matsuko grinned at Lorette. "I hope you aren't keeping tabs on me like this, you know."

"No, I am not. I've seen how you live Matsuko and the thought of having to watch you depresses me."

"That's pretty rude coming from someone needing my help as much as you do!"

"If you thought that by leaving Audrey and Richard behind, that you'd be free of any suffering, you were wrong Ms. Oshiro."

Right...Great."
Last edited by Ramjammer on Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Nyx

Re: Friends in the Void. 1x1 RP

Post by Nyx » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:13 am

Grayson

He was on the run. Twigs and dead leaves broke under his bare feet. They were bloody and ruined, each stride sending a fresh lance of pain up his legs, but he was too terrified to stop. The forest was dark, with trees that twisted and loomed high up above–their tops ascending up and out of sight, into a canopy that blocked out the stars and the moon. There was no sound, no bugs, no animals, nothing but the howling wind that ripped at his clothes and made branches sway like so many arms reaching out to get him.

He was covered in a sheen of cold sweat, gasping for breath as he ran. He was burning up and shivering, but he couldn’t stop. He couldn’t. Desperate, he glanced over his shoulder and went cold inside.

The Void took everything. There was nothing left of the forest behind Grayson, and it was gaining ground, pulling everything into a black so total, his mind could hardly comprehend it. He only knew he must escape. So he turned around, but the forest was gone, and jagged rocks dug into his bloody feet as he ran to the edge of a cliff. Below him sat a world on fire, and panicking, he turned around to face The Void – But a figure impossibly huge stepped from it’s inky depths, black as pitch, and with one mighty hand, shoved Grayson off the cliff into the fire below.

He awoke with a shock, sitting bolt upright and gasping for air. He was covered in sweat and shaking, the remnants of his dream rapidly losing coherence. He reached over to his nightstand and grabbed a cigarette from his pack and took a long drag after catching his breath. ” A bad one, huh,” his voice came out as little more than a croak, but the sound seemed to fill his small apartment. Grayson got out of bed and went to the fridge for a drink. Which made him realize he needed to go to the grocery store.

With a sigh he went and drank from the sink. A shrill alarm went off in his bedroom, and he responded with a grunt. It was Grayson’s first day off, he forgot to turn off his alarm, but it didn’t look like he was going to be sleeping in anyway, so he went to turn the damn thing off and hopped in the shower. He could at least go shopping before the store closed tonight. Grayson was working the night shift, so his schedule made it hard to keep his shelves stocked.

After the shower he pulled on some jeans and a nice white button-up, grabbed a few essentials and his leather jacket and was out the door. Outside, the sun was already sitting low in an orange and purple sky, partially concealed behind the tall buildings that lined either side of his street. A cool fall wind swept along largely quiet streets, and Grayson pulled the jacket tighter to his large frame before lighting another cigarette and continuing his way.

The store was within walking distance, only a couple of blocks away, so he wasn’t in much of a rush, but as Grayson neared the store he felt a familiar buzzing in his pocket.

He took his phone out and read the caller ID. Work was calling. As soon as Grayson accepted the call and put the phone to his ear, his manager launched into a string of curses. ”Listen Grayson, someone called in sick—Of course they never give me notice, they just sit around and wait until their shift comes around to call me and I get stuck with this shit. Typical, I tell you. It’s impossible to find good help nowadays, Grayson, you know that? Do you think you can come in and cover it? You’d be doing me a favor, so I’d owe you big time.”

Grayson looked through the windows of the store he was standing outside of. He shrugged, flicked his cigarette filter down to his foot and ground it into the pavement. ”Sure boss,” he said, voice gravelly from sleep, “I can be there in fifteen.” After he disconnected the call, he looked at the bright screen for a moment.

Who needs a day off anyways?
We all want to see the fire. But we don't want to feel the flames.

Ramjammer

Post by Ramjammer » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:39 am

The surging wind irritated Rasteva more than words could ever hope to express and the Daemon grew more an more desperate with each gust. They were rapidly fading, and new that they could wait no longer. They had to act, and soon if they wanted to survive.

"Where...Where....anyone....WAIT."

Rasteva set their gaze on a Human standing nearby, the man did not seem at all aware of his surroundings as he was occupied with a small device pressed to his ear. For a split second, the Daemon reconsidered approaching at all, sure that the Human would notice a cloud of smoke approaching him, but another breeze spurred Rasteva into action.

The cloud zipped forward, surging up and around the unwary man and dissipating wholly into the rectangular device in his hand. It did not seem as if he'd noticed what had happened, and so Rasteva allowed themselves to relax for the moment.

Their new form was small. It was weak. But it was the best that Rasteva could do on such short notice. They simply lacked the power to channel and project a form of their own, though they hoped that they would be able to discard their current body for a more dignified one later one. Rasteva allowed their magic and consciousness to course through the device, taking note of every wire and piece of metal held within. They heard a voice speaking from within and for a moment, the Daemon was fearful that they'd been discovered. They soon realized that the Human was talking into the device, another Human somehow speaking from within. Had they been at all capable, Rasteva would have breathed a sigh of relief, and so they settled into their new (and hopefully temporary) home.

Rasteva was not sure what to make of the Human, never having observed one up close. He was odd looking, but the Daemon was of the opinion that ALL Humans looked strange. They could sense no power coming from him either, so Rasteva was safe under the assumption that he'd not come across any other Daemons. This was good, thus far. In their present state, Rasteva could not afford to clash with another of their kind. Especially after what had happened.

The Daemon felt a surge of rage at the thought. Their power had been torn from them, unrightfully so. And now it rested in hands that didn't deserve them, scattered all over the planet. Rasteva was not sure HOW they would go about locating even the smallest fraction of it. But the Daemon would not rest until they'd regained their former strength and glory.

But how to go about wrenching it from the unworthy?

The Daemon regarded the Human again, mulling over every available option laid before them.

The Human. He was the key. He would be the one to uplift the Daemon.

There was only the small matter of convincing him.

Nyx

Post by Nyx » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:49 pm

Grayson

He ducked his head against the cold breeze, loose strands of hair whipping about his face as he pulled his jacket closer. He scanned the road and half-jogged along the crosswalk. Grayson could hear the voice of one of his Instructors in his head saying, “Watch your angles. Get out of the open. Check the windows,” over and over, like a mantra. It was a hard thing to turn off, to relax. Your mind was constantly considering the tactical situation - it made you feel paranoid. Like eyes were on you, watching, waiting. It made Grayson shiver involuntarily.

As he crossed the street he checked the reflection in the windows directly in front of him. Nothing. No tails, but he didn’t like surprises. He was done with basic, but these people always kept you on your toes, something that Grayson actually enjoyed. So he kept his head down, but his eyes scanned this way and that. His job wasn’t more than a couple of blocks away, and as he turned the corner, Grayson could see the familiar Waylight Security sign, lit brightly against the side of a tall, dark building.

Ten minutes later Grayson was up the steps and through the front entrance. Someone he recognized was on duty behind the front desk, Grayson gave the older man a nod and signed in, and took out his badge. Standard procedure, no complaints. Grayson made his way to the locker rooms down the hall. Pausing at a large set of doors with a card swiper set into the wall, he slid his badge through the slot and a small LED flashed green, accompanied by a click as the lock mechanism turned to the open position and he stepped through.

The locker room was sort of a catch-all, bathroom, showers, lockers, all in one. The whole place was bright and sanitary and smelled slightly of some kind of cleaner. Not entirely unpleasant. The locker portion of the room had a number of full-body mirrors that lined the walls, while huge grey storage units filled the spaces between. Grayson went to his locker and started the process of undressing and getting suited up -- He didn't know who the senior officer was tonight, but he'd find out soon enough.

Ramjammer

Post by Ramjammer » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:39 pm

There was very little that Audrey hated more than Paperwork.....Well actually, if she stopped to think about it, there were PLENTY of things that Audrey hated more than paperwork. But thinking was something that the Junior Officer left to the many Scientists scurrying around in the Headquarter's Labs. Practically everyone that Audrey knew would tell her otherwise of course, but the opinions of other people was also something that Audrey didn't really put too much stock in.

The red-haired woman leaned back in her desk chair, gloved hands rubbing tiredly at her eyes. She tried to not let her foul mood overtake her, but it was proving difficult. She should have been at home sleeping, something she didn't get much of in recent weeks. But as she'd been learning over and over, sleep was not a luxury afforded to anyone working for Apex, even on their scheduled days off. Audrey placed both hands behind her head and stared up at the ceiling before letting a frown settle even more firmly on her features. Richard had left in a hurry and only stuck around long enough to bark out a few orders to her before rushing off with Nikhil. Even worse, Lorette had decided in her infinite wisdom to take sudden overseas trip had taken Matsuko with her. Audrey had been left to in charge of the building all alone, and she wasn't even the slightest bit prepared for the responsibility that came with it. Well, she wasn't COMPLETELY alone. The Night Crew patrolled the building along with her, and she was pretty sure that Allister was lurking around the building too but she had yet to see him, something that the Junior Officer was glad for. Allister wasn't completely unpleasant to be around most of the time, but he had a habit of attempting to adjust Audrey's clothes and lecturing her on 'Aesthetics' while doing so. Audrey was also positive that he would try to rearrange her Office if he was able to get in there, no doubt while bitching at her about the mess she kept it in. Audrey took a moment to glance around the cramped space, papers and soda cans littering the Office floor. As far as she was concerned piles of trash was a good aesthetic, Allister just lacked the sense of style to see it that way.

Deciding that she'd moped around long enough, Audrey sat back up and resumed shuffling through her paperwork, a loud sigh escaping her. It really DID need to get done, and it wasn't as if she had much else to do. It was a little difficult to remain focused though. Her mind kept wandering back to Richard and Nikhil's abrupt departure, and more specifically the Chief of Security's terse manner. To be fair, Richard always seemed pissed off about something but his mood had been especially foul when she last saw him. He obviously didn't feel comfortable leaving Audrey in charge of things, as evidenced by his constant orders to 'Not fuck things up' while he was away and the reminder that if he did, that she'd find Richard's foot up her ass the second he got back. The Junior Officer let out another sigh. She hadn't exactly asked for the responsibility, and if she had her way Matsuko would be here to run things instead. Hell, at this point she'd even prefer to have Nikhil's company, he wasn't Security but he was at least responsible. Audrey briefly wondered if this was some sort of test. If not from Richard, then from Lorette herself. Calling the CEO an enigma would be putting it lightly, and it was certainly something she'd do.

Audrey just wished that she wasn't doing it to HER.

It was some time before the red-haired woman finished her work, and she stood with a groan and a prolonged stretch. She peered at the clock over her desk and frowned, the rest of the staff would be arriving shortly and she wanted to be there to greet them before giving everyone their assignments. People had begun to mill around outside the communal Locker room and Audrey wasted no time in getting into things, bellowing over the chatter of the many Officers.

"Everybody look alive! Eyes on me!" The talking came to a halt and Audrey straightened her face as best she could. She was quite nervous about thrust into the role of management so suddenly, even if it was for a single shift. But the woman had always been the determined sort and had no intention of failing the task sent before her.

"Alright, I'm gonna fill you all in on what's happening and how we're going about things for now.” Audrey gestured to a whiteboard on the wall behind her, a schedule of rotations written on it clearly. “A few hours ago, our Great Leader, in her infinite wisdom decided to take a trip overseas and took the Lieutenant with her. This wouldn't be a problem if it weren't for the fact that the Chief hadn't left too. He's out with Nikhil looking at a new Facility and before leaving he put me in charge, so I'm acting Chief of Security for tonight. Senior Officer Ranjit Dhebar will be running the Day Shift when we're done for the night." As she expected, Audrey heard several murmurs of dissent, though no one spoke openly against anything. The woman scowled and knew that if she didn't get a handle on things now she never would. And the last thing she wanted or needed was a building full of people unwilling to listen.

"Yeah, yeah. I'm not excited about it either. But if any of you have a problem with how things are, your ass can take it up with my foot. I'm your boss for at least the next ten hours, and if you think I'm putting up with your bullshit for all ten of those hours, you're wrong." A gloved hand slammed palm down against the whiteboard, several Officers flinching from the sudden noise. "We have a job to do and it gets done no matter what. Do you think the Chief isn't watching right now? That the Boss isn't watching?" Several people glanced around somewhat nervously, and the group began to settle down to Audrey's relief. "Nothing's changed, we do our jobs same as every night and we keep this building locked down. The Chief and the Boss come back to a happy home and nobody loses their job because some of you had an attitude problem. Understood?" There were many nods and a few verbal affirmations and Audrey allowed herself to breathe. Whatever awkwardness and tension had melted away, and the usual air of camaraderie that existed between Officers came back to the forefront.

'Easy enough.' The red-haired thought to herself, and she began assigning everyone's roles for the night. The Officers bustled out of the Locker Room one and two at a time, a few remaining to clarify their assignments as they were working outside of their scheduled times. One of the newer Officers, Grayson Belmont was still loitering around with them, clearly having been dragged in against his wishes. Audrey approached the man, intent on giving him his duties for the night and sending him on his way with the rest, but stopped short, her eyes narrowing suddenly.

'No way. No fucking way.'

Audrey's thoughts were a jumble, but she straightened both her posture and expression before addressing Grayson directly. "Belmont, you're on Labs and the lower levels. I don't think I have to tell you to NOT touch anything down there, but I like to be sure." The redhead eyed the younger man critically, searching his face momentarily. "You weren't supposed to be here tonight huh?" The woman chuffed softly, waving a gloved hand in the air. "Neither was I. We're missing a lot of people since the new facility needs to be covered for a while, so get used to it." Audrey grunts, and rifles through a sheaf of papers on a clipboard before scribbling something onto a sheaf of paper and passing it to Grayson. "Take that to the Front Desk and they'll give you a keycard to the Labs, make sure to sign it back in when you're done." Audrey shoos the man away, reaching into her jacket and pulling out her cellphone before walking off. "Have a good night, don't get into trouble. I gotta make a call" She did not wait to see if he'd left before pressing the phone to her ear.

"Allister. I saw the craziest Rat down here earlier and I don't know what you want me to do about it, but I'm not touching the thing."

Allister Schoen was silent for a moment, listening closely to the woman on the other end. "I will inform Lorette. Contact Richard immediately, and keep an eye on things down there." The man paused his inner thoughts in turmoil despite his calm outward demeanor. "And you know what to do should things get out of hand, Audrey." Audrey huffed softly, a hand pressed to her forehead. "Yeah, yeah...Just my night." Allister chuckled softly in reply. "The night is still young, Ms. Kinnaird, let's wait and see for now."
Lorette's eyes scanned the screen of her tablet intently, an Officer's file on full display on the backlit screen. "Grayson Belmont. A new hire, fresh from Basic Training. He's done remarkably well, I'm told." Matusko nodded at the other woman from across the aisle. "Good marks didn't bitch when I drilled him. He's a quiet kid, friendly but doesn't talk much." Matsuko pursed her lips. "I figure it's because he's still new. Feeling things out, so it's expected that he hasn't really made friends."

Lorette hummed softly. "No friends, no living relatives from what I'm seeing. The Mother died recently, so he's been alone for a while now." The CEO 's expression did not change, speaking as evenly as she always did. "Until tonight, that is." Matsuko nodded. "That's what Audrey said in her report. Was perfectly normal the other day, and tonight he shows up with a Daemon hanging off of him." Lorette side eyed the other woman. "Threat Level?" Matsuko was scrolling through a tablet of her own, seeming unconcerned with the whole thing. "Minimal. According to Audrey, Sanzir told her that the Daemon is pretty weak. Most likely another small fry making its way out here. But that's what they do. This kid has no family and barely any money. The little guys are getting smart, Lorette. They find desperate people at the lower rungs of society and glob onto them and offer them a better life in exchange for helping them bulk up a little." The shorter woman shrugs. "If things go bad, they off them and find someone else. Nobody is going to miss a criminal, or in this case, an Orphan."

Lorette nods, a soft sigh escaping her as she resumes staring at Grayson's file. "Because the City has plenty of those to spare, doesn't it? What's one more gone missing." She tossed the tablet aside carelessly, fingers rubbing her temples. "Richard has been informed as well, yes?" Matsuko nodded silently in response. "Good. Allister is there with Audrey, Faendr is a powerful Daemon. He will not allow anything to happen. It sounds to me as if Mr. Belmont isn't even aware of his little stowaway, according to Audrey's report." Matsuko turned to look at the other woman. "So we wait?" Lorette nodded in return. "We wait. Things are moving along too smoothly now for me to worry about this. As of now, this is a low priority issue. I've honestly expected something like this to happen for a while now, and I'm surprised it took this long."

Lorette resumed staring out the Plane's window, clouds rolling along serenely. "Richard returns the day after tomorrow, and when he does he'll assess the situation in the manner that we've come to expect him to. I trust him to make the right decision when the time comes."

Matsuko hummed, fingers idly tapping the pommel of her sword. "I do too, but I still don't like it. Why NOW of all times?"

Lorette simply shrugged in response."I can't say. We'll have to cross that bridge when we get to it." The Woman leaned comfortably back in her seat. "I'm sure it's nothing, though."
Richard strode across the roof of Apex HQ, his coat whipping furiously in the wind created by the Helicopter some distance away. The surly man climbed into the aircraft, clutching his phone in one hand so hard he was in danger of breaking it. Of course, of COURSE, something had to slip through the cracks when he was on his way out. And of COURSE, all that he had to man the post was a small gaggle of Officers. It wasn't that he didn't trust Audrey or Allister for that matter. Lorette's personal assistant was more than capable, and Audrey had truly come into her own since being hired though Richard would never openly admit it. He was simply a man that preferred to take a hands-on approach to all problems and an unregistered Daemon loose in HQ had the potential to be a complete disaster.

The Chief of Security attempted to calm himself, knowing that he was blowing things out of proportion. It would do him no good to get angry now, all that he could do was trust Allister and Audrey to keep a handle on things until he got back. 'This is what you trained all of them for. They were supposed to be ready for something like this.' The man thought. If they couldn't keep a single Daemon under wraps, what would be the point of all this? Of them? Richard settled back in his seat, sighing loudly as the Helicopter carried him over the city. Lorette had told him not to worry, but that didn't stop him from doing it all the same.

'She'd better know what the hell she's doing.'

Nyx

Post by Nyx » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:42 pm

Grayson

Grayson never considered himself a superstitious man, but this definitely unusual. He hadn’t had much time to learn all the names of his superiors and hell, he even struggled with the names of his peers, often times only recognizing their faces more so than their names. He made a mental note to be better at that, but even he knew the name of the small, red-headed Junior Officer named Audrey Kinniard. She had a bit of a reputation for being a hard-ass, but no one would ever say it to her face. She was cocky, and the word up the vine said she was always looking to bust some heads. Which is why all the rumors are whispered well out of earshot.

But with her standing there in front of everyone, pulling rank, even she seemed a little nervous, and Grayson found himself feeling a little sympathetic. She was definitely given the short end of the stick, and from the wary expression on her face, she looked like she hadn’t slept in a while. Employees often said that some people lived in the office, but he was beginning the think it wasn’t a joke. After she debriefed the room on the situation and the night shift began shuffling out to their posts, she seemed to make a b-line straight towards Grayson, only pausing a moment to narrow her eyes.

As far as he remembered, this was the first time she’d ever spoken to him, and he wasn’t particularly comfortable with the way she was looking at him. Like he was some sort of science experiment. It made him nervous, but he kept his face stone-cold impassive, only nodding and giving the barest of responses to her attempt at small talk. It was apparent she didn’t necessarily care what he had to say, so his short replies were mostly out of necessity, and for his own benefit. She seemed nervous, and some small part of his brain was picking up the subtle nuances, directing his intuition, but he kept his mouth shut.

He had never been down to the labs before, and that made him nervous. It was a tactical unknown, he’d have to familiarize himself with the layout. There were rumors about strange things scientists were doing down there, everything from top-secret new weapons systems, and cutting edge new drugs, and that if you spoke about what you saw down there, they’d disappear you quicker than you could say Apex Implementations. Grayson always made it a habit not to place his faith in rumormongers, but even he had to admit he was a little worried.

But he had his orders, so he made his way down the hall and explained to the front desk. He got a raised eyebrow, but the older man walked him through the security procedures without comment, and five minutes later he took the first elevator down.

When the doors to the lab slid open, Grayson wasn’t sure what he expected, but his updated mental map of the building just got a lot bigger.

Ramjammer

Post by Ramjammer » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:08 am

Rasteva violently recoiled and had nearly fled in terror when the woman approached them and the Human they were clinging to. The Aura surrounding her was so BRIGHT. To the Daemon she was engulfed in flames, swirling vortex surrounding her and seeming ready to consume all of them. Rasteva did not miss the bright orange feathers drifting from her frame when she shifted, and even now they could feel a pair of eyes pinning them down, even from where they clung to the Male Human's device.

The other Daemon had surveyed Rasteva from where they were but made no effort to reach out. No doubt not wanting to alert either Human to its presence. Instead, it fixed an almost predatory gaze on Rasteva, inspecting them closely. Rasteva had been prepared to meet other Daemons during their journey, it was inevitable after all. They were countless in number and were sure to pop up SOMEWHERE. But they'd not expected to run into one so soon after arriving, much less one so powerful. As loathe as they were to admit it, Rasteva was nervous. The other Daemon knew they were there, and somehow the woman did too if her intense stares at the man were anything to go by. They'd been discovered and there was nothing they could do, save for wait. And so the Daemon did, hoping against hope that their current state would allow them to escape pursuit.

It seemed to be the case, perhaps the other Daemon and woman finding Rasteva too weak to bother with. Relief surged through the Daemon's consciousness, though there was a notable undercurrent of rage. THEY should have been the ones cowering before Rasteva's might. The proud Daemon should not have been reduced to such a state, hoping to escape confrontation by virtue of being powerless. It was an intensely bitter feeling, one that Rasteva did not think they would ever get used to. Even as the burning Aura faded from Rasteva's senses, they fought back the urge to call out, to challenge the other Daemon then and there.

'And what? What would you do? What can you do now? You'd be destroyed in an instant, what's left of you scattered to the winds.'

The Daemon pushed the unbidden thoughts away and struggled to regain control of their temper. This would not do, they could not risk drawing even more attention to themselves. As much as Rasteva hated it, their current state was a small blessing in some way. A Daemon too weak to hurt anyone would not be bothered, there was nothing to gain from it. Had they possessed teeth, Rasteva would have ground them out of irritation. So long had they been used to think about others in this way, that it was infuriating that THEY were in a position to be looked down upon.

'No wonder the weak were always so irritable.'

The Daemon managed to calm their temper, enough to take note of their surroundings. Rasteva had no real knowledge of Human architecture, though they were of the opinion that not all of it was good. The building they were in was quite vast, and Rasteva wondered how the Humans managed to navigate it without getting lost. The Human they'd latched themselves to seemed to be of the same opinion. He looked almost nervous, wandering around slowly and peering down darkened corridors cautiously. Most of the rooms held no interest to Rasteva, all containing equipment and tools that only Humans would find interesting. The Daemon found themselves drifting off into their thoughts once more before something caught their attention.

The door that the Human was standing in front of was quite large, Human writing stenciled on it in bright red. Rasteva could not see what was inside, but something within called out to them in a strange way. Granted they could do nothing without alerting the Human to their presence, and they didn't want that. Still, something inside of Rasteva wanted to move closer, though the Human did not outwardly seem to be of the same mindset. The Daemon prepared to withdraw back into their own thoughts, thinking their sudden urge to be nothing more than curiosity when they heard it. It was faint, barely a whisper. But the sudden intrusion to their thoughts hit the Daemon full force.

'I will be free....'

Allister stood beside Audrey, hands clasped behind his back as he eyed the wall of security monitors. Each one displayed various parts of HQ, many showing the images of Security going about its work. "And where is our little Rat, now?" The man said, eyes scanning rows of screens critically. Audrey huffed, pointing to a series of them near the upper left-hand corner. "In the Labs, and don't call him that." Allister smirked gently, side-eyeing the woman. "Going soft, Ms. Kinnaird? How unlike you." The woman scowled at the man openly. "No. I just think it's rude. You don't have to be rude, he's got a name." Allister's smirk widened but his gaze returned to the screens displaying Grayson. "He seems to be behaving normally." Audrey shook her head at the man. "I told you, I don't even think he knows that it's there. Probably just jumped onto the first person it found and it happened to be him."

Allister hummed softly, stroking his chin in a thoughtful manner. "Very well, so he's not a danger to anyone just yet and hopefully he stays that way-What the hell is he doing there?"

Audrey's eyes shot to the screen to see Grayson standing outside of a massive set of pressure sealed doors. "I told him to sweep the labs, he can't get in there, he doesn't have the right clearance. His pass only allows him into the complex. Everything is locked up tight." Allister frowned at the woman in response. "Do you think it was wise sending him down there?" Audrey sighed, a hand raking through her hair. "Everyone had already gotten their assignments, and I didn't want things to look out of the ordinary. He can't get in, Allister." The blonde haired man frowned, gaze leveled on the screen. "Yes, of course. But that's the containment bay. It's filled with Daemons. Mean ones." Allister shoots Audrey a wry smile. "So what will you do, if our little Rat finds himself in the jaws of a Cat?" Audrey deadpanned at the man. "You're not funny-"

A shrill beeping sound cut the woman off and her gaze cut a flashing light on a circuit board hanging on the far wall. "ARE YOU SHITTING ME?!" The woman shoved past Allister to his loud protests, skidding to a halt in front of the board. Rows of lights shone brightly, all glowing a vibrant green save for one. The Light flashed on an off repeatedly, a foreboding red causing it to stand out from the rest. Allister's voice was strained, conveying both concern and exasperation. "How is it possible that we have a breach right now?! Is this kid bad luck?" Audrey muttered softly, her stare now trained on a series of cameras showing the inside of the containment bay, a large metal drum expelling plumes of black smoke "Either him or the Daemon. Doesn't really matter since they're probably going to be dead REAL soon. That's 553-A. The Rake's loose."

Allister groaned as Audrey pushed herself bodily away from the screens, already heading towards the door. "Ah. Of course, it's a Daemon with an A Rating. Not a D Rating, hell I'd even take a C. Nope. It's a nice solid A. And I suppose that we can't just seal the labs and leave him to his fate? That's what you're about to tell me." Audrey nodded at the man. "Yep. He just started, and he should have the chance to start hating this job before he gets killed. Then it won't suck so much. Look on the bright side. It's got no stars. This will be a breeze for me and Sanzir." Allister threw up his hands, and looked ready to argue, but shook his head at the woman. "Fine. Hurry. There's no one else down there, so if we're quick we can keep this all under wraps." The man looked at Grayson on the screen. "And...Well, one problem at a time. Who knows, this could be a nice learning experience for him." Audrey saluted sharply, a grin on her face. "Trial by fire! He's going to be so happy that he didn't stay home. Open the doors when I get there, we're keeping that thing contained no matter what." The woman was gone in an instant, and Allister's gaze returned to the screens displaying the interior of the containment bay.

A grotesque humanoid figure was scuttling towards the door, black smoke trailing off its barely corporeal form as it moved. Allister grimaced, knowing that the creature could not simply be left to its own devices otherwise it'd go about freeing every other Daemon kept in containment, a catastrophe that they could not afford. It seemed intent on trying to free itself for right now, bony hands slamming against the metal doors of the bay and Allister knew that the man on the other side of it was not at all prepared for what was about to happen. "No Suppression training, a weak Daemon. Just started. This guy is getting thrown into it all headfirst, huh? It's like a shitty TV show with poor pacing."

Alllister groaned and pulled his cellphone out of his jacket, fingers trembling as he punched in an all too familiar number. The phone only rang once before a gruff voice answered on the other end.

"Hey Richard....Uh. So don't get mad, this is really important because literally none of this is my fault. But there's been a Containment Breach." Allister winced slightly, waiting for an onslaught of curses and insults to come but they never did. Richard was silent for a long moment before speaking, his voice eerily calm before speaking.

"Allister, whatever got out had better kill you because I'm damn sure going to when I get back."

Nyx

Post by Nyx » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:28 am

Grayson

He was beginning to reconsider his stance on superstition. This time of night, the Labs were void of all personnel, which is why he was the only one down here, despite how expansive this floor was. He should’ve known better, never volunteer for anything. He briefly wondered how expansive the underground portion of the building was before he stuffed it down and started to focus on the task at hand. Patrolling the long, well-lit hallways – with rooms running along either side, mostly open and visible through large, open windows and glass doors. They had the feel of classrooms, with clean whiteboards and a wide variety of scientific instruments and containers. Some rooms didn’t have windows and required some type of card clearance that he didn’t have, so he moved on, scanning this way and that.

Grayson was surprised when he came upon the huge pressure door. The front desk didn’t mention it, but it wasn’t like he could get inside anyway, it appeared to have the same sort of security clearance as some of the other rooms. The door looked solid, and the mechanisms well maintained, and it probably weighed a ton. It had “Containment”, and a bunch of hazard symbols to turn away anyone not supposed to be there – ominous, to say the least.

Containment for what?

He was just about to continue his circuit when a strobing red light popped on next to the door, and simultaneously throughout the whole floor. Grayson froze, and turned back to the large door. He hadn’t touched anything, so he was pretty confident that he hadn’t messed anything up – curiously, a siren wasn’t sounding out and blowing out his eardrums either. He considered for a moment, a place like this, they probably got an internal alarm system. Certain employees of privilege were probably watching him at this very moment, which made him straighten up a bit. He moved around a bit, as if making to clear his vectors, which he was, but his eyes were quick, and he found a few devices that looked like cameras.

I will be free..

The voice was no louder than a hoarse whisper, but it sounded right next to his ear. The quality was like running nails on a chalkboard, and the hairs on the back of his neck stood up. Grayson turned this way and that, a hand freeing the black baton at his hip, and with a flick, extended it to it’s full length. He felt cold all over, and goosebumps covered his arms. He thought he felt a flicker of amusement, and it was the strangest feeling you could ever describe. Experiencing something that you knew was completely foreign from your own body, but that was present in your own mind nonetheless. He tried to swallow as he looked at the large pressure door, but his mouth was dry.
“What the hell is going on?”

Grayson’s voice sounded loud in the awkward silence of the strobing lights, but he managed to shake some of his initial fear, or compartmentalize it down to some dark corner of his brain at least enough to remember contact protocol. He thumbed his radio and transmitted. ”Labs, we got a situation down here, over.” But all he got in his earpiece was a burst of static. “Hello? Anyone receiving? Over.” He didn’t wait for a response, it was obvious his comms were down, worst case they were being jammed. Secretly he hoped that was the case, because that meant someone was in control, but he wasn’t gonna hold his breath. Actually, he took a deep breath. Calm, think, figure this out. It was Grayson’s own personal mantra. He pulled out his cellphone and tapped a few digits across it’s surface, which woke the device. No service, of course. He started to back away from the door, and considered his options for cover. His weapons didn’t fill him with a lot of confidence, but sometimes when life gives you shit, you just smile and ask for more.

A grim smile touched Grayson’s lips.

Ramjammer

Post by Ramjammer » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:53 am

The voice on the other side of the door was growing more insistent, and if the banging sounds were an indication the owner of it was particularly upset.

"Free. FREE! Did they think to hold me here? No, I WILL be free!"

Rasteva was at as much of a loss as the Human, completely unprepared for what lay just behind the door. The man was nervous and it showed plainly. Rasteva did not blame him in the slightest, the once proud Daemon stricken by fear as well. The other Daemon's power was becoming more evident, as was its rage. They still could not see the other Daemon, but Rasteva could sense its consciousness even from where they were. In truth, Rasteva did not pity the other Daemon in any regard. If they were foolish enough to be captured and locked away by Humans, that was their own fault. But the implication alone was quite worrying and it would have been a problem worth pursuing if Rasteva wasn't so close to danger at that exact moment.

The Human seemed to be trying to contact others for help, though it didn't seem to be working. The device that Rasteva inhabited either did not work or the Humans on the other side simply did not care. The Human seemed to have armed himself with a club of sorts but still seemed quite on edge. Rasteva wasn't sure what it would do against an irritable Daemon, but they commended the man for wanting to try. Their attention turned back towards the massive door, the banging on the other side having grown louder but the occupant did not seem any closer to breaking out. Rasteva allowed themselves to relax marginally. They seemed to be safe for the time being, the Humans seemed to have been smart enough to make the doors strong. At least strong enough to halt a raging Daemon. So long as they remained close, neither Rasteva or the Human were in any real danger.

And so naturally, as if the Universe itself conspired against them, the doors suddenly began to open.

There was a loud hissing and the clanging of metal indicative if latches being turned and soon enough the doors began to part. The Lights on either side flashed green as they parted, and a long bony arm shot out suddenly between the widening gap. Claws scrabbled at the metal, and the bulk of the creature on the other side began to push itself through. "Free! FREE! YES!" The Daemon's maw opened unnaturally wide and needle-thin teeth glinted in the lights, a raspy voice bellowing from its wiry frame. Two dinner plate eyes bored into the hapless man at the other side of the door, and the beast let out a sound terrifyingly close to a chuckle. "And they left a meal how nice." The Daemon slunk from between the doors balanced on unnaturally long limbs, smoke trailing in its wake. It reached an over large clawed hand towards Grayson, rasping softly as its glowing white eyes seemed to stare right through him. "Hold still...this will be painful and not at all quick."

To say that Rasteva was disgusted would be putting it lightly. They recoiled as much as they could away from the other Daemon as it lurched forward, though the Human seemed to be rooted to the spot. He couldn't be blamed. If his current reaction was any indication he'd never seen a Daemon before. And now here he was trapped with one that was ready to tear him limb from limb. It wasn't as if Rasteva was any safer themselves, as they were positive that the other Daemon would consume what was left of their power after finishing with the human. It lurched ever closer, and the human instinctively lifted his club, seeming ready to strike. Rasteva scoffed internally, knowing that it wouldn't do much against the other Daemon.

'Can nothing go right for me?'

Their thoughts were laced with bitterness, and Rasteva felt themselves trapped. This was how it would end for them. Devoured by a shambling husk of a Daemon in some forsaken Human complex. Truly unfitting of one such as themselves. The Daemon was reaching out, claws extended as it prepared to crush the Human's skull like a grape and Rasteva was suddenly spurred to action. There was no concern for the Human, and truth be told Rasteva felt no sense of self preservation. No, the Daemon was FURIOUS. Unwilling to die underground alongside a Human too terrified to do something. Even when set upon by their kin, countless and without end, Rasteva had managed to survive. They hadn't perished then, and they would not perish now.

Whether or not the Human man noticed the plume of smoke erupting suddenly from his pocket, Rasteva could not say. Though he most certainly noticed it winding its way around his outstretched arm, and Rasteva had no doubt that concerned him. Rasteva stretched their remaining power to its limits, form trembling as they became suddenly corporeal. A shining metal gauntlet struck the other Daemon square in the face, sending it reeling back with a hiss. The hapless man had been dragged forward with the pull, his hand and wrist now encased in metal claws. Rasteva's did nothing to hide the disdain in their voice as they addressed the man for the first time, and a burning red eye situated at the back of the hand glared balefully at Grayson.

"If you are too stupid to flee, then fight! I'll not sit here and watch you die like a coward!"

Rasteva had more insults to fling at the man, but the other Daemon had recovered quickly and chose that moment to launch itself at the pair. It was a mere hair's breadth, from the two when something struck it forcefully from the side. Something small, red and very angry.

"Gotcha, bitch!"
Audrey had sprinted down to the Lab as quickly as she was able, blast doors sealing behind her the second she arrived. Allister's voice crackled over her headset as she rushed towards the Containment Bay, sounding strained. "Almost there, the doors are opening. The kid's still there, you need to hurry." Audrey huffed loudly and quickened her pace. Grayson obviously hadn't left the area, and the woman felt an odd mixture of pride and exasperation. He was clearly doing as his training instructed, and would attempt to neutralize the threat as best he was able. Unfortunately, it was a particular threat that he hadn't been trained for, and Aundrey did not foresee him surviving the encounter. Allister's voice sounded in her ear as she skidded around a corner, and she nearly lost her balance. "It's out! It's out and it's going for him-Wait...Wait, the Daemon with him. It just smacked Rake, it's barely holding itself together but it got him." The Junior Officer let out a small sigh of relief. "Looks like Belmont's Guardian Angel bought him some time. I'm closing in now."

Audrey turned another corner, and there it was. Rake had regained their composure and let out a sickening hiss before launching themselves at Grayson. Flames licked at Audrey's frame as she threw herself forward, arms winding around Rake's wiry frame as she tackled the Daemon to the ground.

"Gotcha bitch!"

The Daemon was sent sprawling to the floor with a screech and it thrashed wildly and Audrey was forced to roll away from its lashing claws to avoid injury. She moved to stand and gave Grayson a quick once over to make sure that the man wasn't injured. "Still in one piece? Great. Hopefully, we can keep it that way." She cocked her head, a brow arched as she surveyed the Gauntlet that had seemingly latched itself to the man's arm. "Huh. Just one hand. You really are a small fry." Rasteva sputtered incomprehensibly at the offense, their singular eye whirling madly. "How...How DARE you! So help me, when I have a proper body I will-" Audrey held up a hand, cutting off the furious Daemon. "Save it, Fuckhand." Rake had once more gotten to their feet, glowing eyes fixated on both Humans as they crouched low to the ground.

"If you've got something to say, help me kick this guy's ass. Maybe I'll think about listening. Belmont! On me!" Audrey barely waited for the man to respond before she dashed forward, leaving a trail of still burning embers in her wake. "Sanzir!" A bellowing voice echoed through the halls suddenly and a massive flaming creature seemed to erupt from the woman's form. "OH YEAH!" Rake could barely defend themselves as Audrey and the flaming Bird Daemon barreled into them, and they wilted under the assault. One of Audrey's fists caught the Daemon in the side of the head, empowered by the Phoenix's flames and was followed swiftly by a foot to the abdomen. Rake skittered backwards, maw stretched impossibly wide as they hissed at their opponents.

"Not fair! NOT FAIR! He was supposed to be alone, there wan't supposed to be anyone else." The cowering Daemon retreated down the corridor as Audrey and Sanzir advanced, their smoky form bleeding into the shadows. "This cannot be! I will not allow this!" Rake turned and fled down the hallways, their bony frame disappearing around the corner. Audrey let out a loud huff, hands on her hips. "What a little bitch. Hard to believe this guy used to be considered an Urban Legend." The woman turned to Grayson and beckoned him to follow. "Well quit standing there with your mouth hanging open, we need to pursue him. The Lab's locked down, and we have eyes upstairs so we'll find him." She pointed to the gleaming metal gauntlet still attached to Grayson's hand. "Uh...Bring your friend with you too. You're friends, right? I assumed that you two only just met which is why I didn't bring it up earlier...uh...."

Rasteva's singular eye bored into the woman with great intensity, voice dripping with disdain. "No we are NOT friends! Rasteva does not have friends!" At that moment, Sanzir chose to walk forward, talons clicking on the floor as he cocked his head and stared down at the other Daemon. "You're shiny!" Rasteva's booming voice erupted from the gauntlet, causing Sanzir to beat his wings as he backed away in surprise. "OF COURSE I AM. RASTEVA HAS ALWAYS BEEN SHINY. I USED TO BE THE SHINIEST, YOU KNOW." Audrey was slightly less enthralled than Sanzir, and shot a pained look towards Grayson. "You want to turn him off and get moving? I know you have to be pretty confused right now, but there's still a literal freak of nature running around right now."

Audrey looked first at Sanzir and then Rasteva, a sheepish expression on her face. "No offense meant to present company and all that."

Rasteva's eye still hadn't stopped glaring at the woman, and his voice was gruff. "All offense taken."

Nyx

Post by Nyx » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:19 am

Grayson

It’s funny how one moment you think you know everything, and the next moment the world is flipped on it’s head and you realize you don’t know shit. For some people, the effect was sobering. But that probably depends on the circumstances. One second he was searching for cover to ambush anything that waltzed through, and the next, Grayson found himself staring face to face with a real, certifiable monster. It looked like the inspiration for the monsters parents told their kids about to scare them into behaving. Having something like that reach out to you, with a hungry grin on it’s face, it changes you a little inside. Maybe you go a little crazy. You start thinking about mortality and how little control you truly have over your own fate. Men have lost their minds for less.

Grayson was having an out of body experience, he saw himself standing there, motionless, like some animal about to be put down and simply resigned to it’s fate. He watched, and he was furious. He could feel it bubbling inside him like a raging, uncontrollable torrent, foreign and unexpected. He was going to die, and he wasn’t even going to put up a fight.

Things started happening fast then, he became aware of his surroundings and stimulation flooded his system, he was running on pure instinct, life or death, fight or flight. Subconsciously, he chose fight. His mind was filtering out a lot of the smaller details due to the sensory overload, he had tunnel vision, but it didn’t seem to matter in the grand scheme of things, he was going to die now anyways.

He swung a left hook. It wasn’t his brightest moment, but rage overruled his rational mind and ignored the fact that he was clutching a weapon in his other hand. He was just as stunned at what happened as the monster appeared to be. Some sort of dark, sinister looking gauntlet covered a length of his arm, and turned into a black mist as soon as Grayson noticed it. He was staring at his hand in wonder, but the monster was already recovering.

"If you are too stupid to flee, then fight! I'll not sit here and watch you die like a coward!"

The voice seemed to come from within and around him all at once, it caught him off-guard, and he reacted quickly. But not quickly enough, as the creature lunged out at him with a speed that didn’t seem possible. Grayson gritted his teeth and watched as it’s claws reached out and—and it was gone.

"Gotcha, bitch!"

Grayson brain was lagging, too much going on all at once. He was dead. But he was still breathing. The afterlife was a strange place all of a sudden. And Audrey was there.
So hell, then. He wasn’t surprised.

Calm, think, figure this out, some distant part of his mind was whispering to him.

He snapped to, the creature was down, but not out as it thrashed and clawed at the floor wildly, screeching is horrible speech. Aubrey was look at him, and her mouth was moving, but he couldn’t hear anything she said. His ears were ringing, and she motioned for him to follow, just before she turned and rammed into the monster and rained down on it with a series of furious blows that made it retreat a beat. He followed her lead and backed her up while the two exchanged heated words, and a deeper voice joined the two that he felt in his chest, it made Grayson look around for the source, but when he turned back towards the monster, it had already turned around and fled.

"You want to turn him off and get moving? I know you have to be pretty confused right now, but there's still a literal freak of nature running around right now."

Him? “I—,“ Grayson tried to choke out a response as he regained his hearing but all he could do was cough, and she had turned away anyway. He eyed her sideways, he had noticed the faint orange glow about her, but his mind hadn’t fully processed it out. Now the orange glow had a form all it’s own, and it was almost as unreal as the monster that ran down the hall. What the hell is going on?

”All offense taken.” That booming voice again, he could feel it in his bones, and his grey eyes were drawn to the impressive gauntlet at his side. Things started shifted into place rather quickly now. Grayson didn’t like this, he didn’t like any of this. He was terrified, but he was more angry than scared.

”Fine, I’ll follow you into hell, but then I want answers,” he snapped. He didn’t mean to, but he didn’t apologize. Instead he turned heel, and started to make his way down the hall the creature fled down, gauntlet in one hand, baton clutched in the other.