Weep for the Fallen

Annasiel
Administrator

Weep for the Fallen

Post by Annasiel » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:01 pm

Twilight, L.A. Summer is nearing, and the wet heat already rolls across the air like waves, bringing a certain lethargic torpor to the scene. Crickets hum from unseen cracks in the concrete, harmonizing with the whine of cars and the wail of a distant siren. The moon already hangs in the sky, though the sky itself is still pink with sunset, and the smell of salt from the sea carries in on lazy breezes. All in all, a fairly normal night.

VROOOOooooom.

A bike raced down the narrow avenue, kicking up smoke in a whine as it rounded a sharp corner. It's rider laughed with glee. Leaning forward, she forced the clutch to its limit, body naturally adjusting to the bumps and sways at it made its way through the mostly-empty streets.

"Catch me if you can, you big bogey!" she shouted over her shoulder. A passerby might think her shouting at the clouds, unless they happened to look up, where a dark shape shot by in hot pursuit. In the rider's moment of distraction, she brushed the curb. The handlebars wobbled ominously.

"Woah, there!"

She overcorrected, the bike swerved, and it jumped the curb on the other side. Something inside it snapped, and suddenly, the handles wouldn't turn the wheel anymore. Still smiling wide, the rider leaned right hard, body bending back to try and correct for the wobbling machine. It bounced off the sidewalk back onto the street, slamming through a pothole. Immediately, the engine began to rattle, billowing smoke out of its sides, sound rising to a crescendo of whirs and whines. With another snap, the entire front of the bike seemed to collapse. It slid noisily into the side of a building.

The rider appeared a few feet away, laying sprawled on the floor, laughing hysterically.

"Let's find another one, Orpheus!" she called. "That was amazing!"
Swollen with a mantra that I've stolen from a thief.

Trandafir
Intermediate Mod

Re: Weep for the Fallen

Post by Trandafir » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:21 am

"What the fuck is that? Is that... A person?"

"Are they making a film? Where're the cameras? Oh my god, I hope my hair looks nice in case they get me on screen! Who is making it?"

"A big bird!"

Orpheus ignored all the voices, as his focus was solely on his sister. Eurydice was a fast rider, fast and reckless. It wasn't a surprise that she'd managed to crash her stolen bike into a building, not before blinking away to safety.

"We're not going to find another one, we're going home." Orpheus said firmly, floating down to earth and folding his wings behind his back, paying no attention to the stares in his direction that came from the people who populated the crowded avenue.

In truth, he didn't know how they'd get home. He didn't even know how they got there in the first place or why; his plan was to stop his sister as soon as he heard her mischievous plans, but he hadn't been fast enough and ended up being dragged along to her crazy adventure, and this time, he had no idea of where they were.

First thing was the buildings. They looked nothing like those from his world. The people were different as well - they didn't have wings - and so were their vehicles. different and dangerous. He'd make sure to keep Eurydice away from those things from that moment forward.
Hey! Isn't it funny we all want what isn't right?

Annasiel
Administrator

Re: Weep for the Fallen

Post by Annasiel » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:09 am

"Orpheussss," Eurydice insisted. She hopped to her feet, brushing dirt off her jeans, and sparing furtive glances at the demolished bike. There was no way her brother would let her get another one now, even if she pleaded for an hour. He'd barely agreed to her plans the first time, if agreed was even the right word. More like, didn't resist as much as he could have, letting himself be dragged along amidst a litany of curses and complaints. Eurydice sighed, and looked around.

This place was different. A far cry from the lofty towers and spirals of Perithea, the nearby buildings were squat, stone, and scrawled with runes in some kind of multicolored paint. Some of the words were discernible, though lost without context; "skinner wuz here" was written in red loops near a steel door, and "jon is a faget" littered a fence in blue. Most, however, seemed to be some complex script, possibly a long-lost form of spellcasting. Eurydice resisted the urge to poke them and see if they'd explode. She spoke to her brother instead.

"Do you know where we are?" she asked. It wasn't like anywhere she'd seen before, and she wasn't quite sure how they exactly got there.
Swollen with a mantra that I've stolen from a thief.