[ADV] Shards of Memory

Andromeda Infinity
Meaningless Title

Re: [ADV] Shards of Memory

Post by Andromeda Infinity » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:58 am

Hiding his amazement behind a serious face, Ichiro repeated the process which he was just taught, effectively opening his own menu. After a quick glance, he did the same gesture backwards in order to close it, ridding of the screen in a single hand swipe. Things had changed so much since the last time he played a videogame, enough to not need a controller anymore! The controller was yourself, and the character too; no wonder his sister enjoyed these games, with her lifestyle and all. Ichiro gave a last look at his helper after obtaining her contact information. "Hisa." He said to himself, memorizing the name at that moment; he could give his sister a "starter gift" by giving her Hisa's information, just in case she didn't know how to play either. "Thank you, I appreciate the help." He bowed slightly, turning his gaze away. "Now if you excuse me, I'll go back to my route." With a somewhat forced smile, he parted ways with Hisa and moved on.

After a while, the crowd lessened in numbers around town, possibly from the impending rain. Using the gesture taught to him, he opened his own menu and glanced across it. The equipment chosen at the character creation screen was there, and after viewing the options he had for both pieces, he simply equipped the Rusted Chainmail. He moved his shoulders in circles, one by one, measuring the weight added by the new equipment. "This feels right, I bet putting on a real armor would be like this." He thought, inspecting the gear. "Though I'd prefer a shogun look over any gaijin." He chuckled silently at his thoughts, looking upwards with a piercing stare. The weather did change, it was about to rain. Everyone else knew it and that's probably why they went to another place, he thought he probably should do the same.

After swapping to the map tab, he noticed there was a few building where he could freely walk in, an inn between them. "King's Boar?" He raised an eyebrow as he confirmed both the name and location, turning towards the general direction of the place and memorizing the turns before closing his menu. It was an odd name, but everyone has their quirks after all; this king's was his boar, Ichiro's was music. His mind wandered back to the music to which he used to listen with his sister, a thought triggered by the inn's name.

On the way, rain finally fell down, soaking him gradually. He approached the inn's entrance with haste, stopping to rub his feet against the floor in order to dry his boots before entering - An old habit. He walked inside slowly, his eyes inspecting the place as he pulled the surplus of water out of his hair in an attempt to dry it faster. In one instance, he had forgotten this was a virtual reality and his natural reactions came to light. He noticed a trio of hooligans fighting, just like any drunkard group who had too many cups, a bartender behind the counter, the average couple or small group of people talking, and finally, a female sitting near a fireplace, wiping what seems to be her armor. Does armor get rusted in this game? Does it require maintenance? After looking down at his still moist gear, he shrugged it off, it was already rusted after all; and he wasn't staying too long anyways.

Not knowing anyone there, and not seeing a reason to move further, he simply stayed near the entrance. His back rested against the wall, he opened his menu once again to familiarize with the options. The thought of stopping the fighting group crossed his mind, but this wasn't his territory anyways, and not knowing this game well could drag him down if they can pull off tricks he doesn't know. So he simply stayed alert, swiping left and right, reading and tapping into everything that piqued his attention.
"We're all idiots on the inside." - My dearest"...And from that moment on, I started loving you unconditionally."

SuXeSoN

Post by SuXeSoN » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:57 pm

The new girl took his hand, and he gave it a firm shake. “Sorry for the water. The name’s Aki.” The rainwater barely bothered him at all, after all, it was just his hand getting wet. Before he had a chance to reply though, newly acquainted Aki continued speaking. Saying that she had to go to work. "I see, work..." That worl\d made Rugaki thought about reality again. He wondered if Hiro was finished with his notes by now, probably not. It was the first time he thought of the real world ever since he got here. As a VRMMO, it's a really effective form of escapism, sometimes too effective. He then realized that Yumi was looking directly in his direction with intense eyes. So it seems she's still pretty agitated, but that's to be expected, knowing her. Rugaki managed to muster up the courage to look at her directly in the eye as she spoke. It would be rude otherwise. He was pretty relieved to hear that he didn't have to pay for damages, even though it's probably going to end up very minuscule. However, the catch was that he had to help clean her armour. While it was troublesome, and perhaps even unreasonable, Rugaki had no reason to deny her request. They are probably stuck here with the rain for a while after all. Despite the fact that Yumi was pretty much up in his face, he managed to give out an answer rather calmly, "Sure thing, it's the least I could do." No sooner than he answered though, she was already off to see the barkeep, to ask where the fireplace was. The sound of the bell of the inn's door opening caught Rugaki's attention. He spun around to glance at a man in his 20s or so, probably here to take shelter from the rain as well. The young boy didn't pay much heed to him and returned his attention to Aki, who was cut off by Yumi.

She offered an exchange of information, she's probably referring to contacts or a friend request. Furthermore, she asked where the fireplace was. "Sure thing, I'll send you a friend request later. As for the fireplace..." Rugaki swivelled his head to look at where Yumi was talking with the bartender. "I suppose she went that-a-way." the boy pointed at the direction he thought she went in. He then proceeded to head over there, looking back at Aki to see if she was following him. "Let's go then." He invited her before carrying on. With the fight still on-going, the other inn patrons were quite close together and they had to weave in and out of the crowd to get to where the fireplace was. Sure enough, he found it, along with Yumi, humming quietly to herself as she cleaned her armour with a rag, and bucket of water. Silently, he joined her, sitting down cross-legged next to her, and outstretching his hands to feel the light warmth of the fire. It felt so real, it's quite impressive how far technology has come. This wasn't bad, listening to Yumi's sombre, yet somehow pleasant humming, indulging himself in the orange warmth of the fireplace at the same time. Kind of like something from a storybook. Then again, wasn't this game like that? He heard Yumi whispering something to herself, but he didn't really hear what she said, nor was he bothered by it. “The chest-plate shouldn’t have too many crevices…” It was only then he turned around to look at Yumi, it was about time he offered his help. "Here, want me to clean the rest?" He said as he outstretched his hand.
If you clean your vacuum cleaner, you're making your vacuum cleaner, and you're a vacuum cleaner.

Loyal to none but the one true King... OZYMANDIO-DA!

AnimuGirlVoiceLebi

Post by AnimuGirlVoiceLebi » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:19 am

Jennifer woke up to a gentle voice calling out to her, "It's time to get up Little Miss." Realizing Mary had come in to wake her up for school the mass of blankets and pillows Jennifer was buried in began to rustle and shift before falling aside to reveal her bright orange hair shining in the light of the rising sun. After a drawn out yawn her clear blue eyes opened and focused onto Mary's gently smiling face, "Morning Mary, time to get ready for school eh?" Mary's smile widened briefly before pulling out Jennifer's school uniform and setting it on the bed, she then bowed slightly before heading down stairs.

After some easy stretches Jennifer slipped into her uniform then brushed and braided her hair, she smiled in the mirror and lightly slapped her cheeks, "You got this, keep it in check!" She went down stairs and sat at the table with the food Mary had prepared quietly eating while occasionally glancing at the empty chair on the opposite side of the table. Finishing the food in good time she made one last look at the empty chair before sighing and heading into the front room to meet Mary again. When Jennifer entered the room she was once again greeted by Mary's smiling face, something she undoubtedly felt very thankful for no matter how many times she has seen it. Mary handed Jennifer a small box wrapped neatly in some fine cloth before pointing to the door, "Here is your lunch Little Miss, by the door is your bag, and your ride is awaiting you out front." Jennifer accepted the lunch and headed to the door obediently, turned back and said, "Take care Mary, I'll see you when I get home!" Once at the door she put on her shoes, grabbed her bag and left through the door. After the door shut Mary whispered sadly, "Stay strong Little Miss."

Several minutes later Jennifer arrived at school, she was greeted by the various cautious and reproachful gazes of the many other students, each giving her a wide berth. (Ugh, this 'Elite' school really sucks. All these 'prim' and 'proper' ladies acting like spoiled little brats, bragging about their money and their parents status. I almost can't wait to move again.) She sighed and walked to class, trying her best to ignore all of the annoying gazes and unpleasant whispers they spoke when they thought she could not hear. For the most part Jennifer's day went on like usual, try her best to listen to the teachers and take notes, ignore the annoying gossip and whispers from the many girls of the all girls academy, and quietly spend her time while awaiting the end of her several classes.

When school finally ended Jennifer went to the teacher's office to speak with her homeroom teacher and give her daily report of what she did, one of the many conditions attached to her enrollment into this school due to her behavior at her previous schools. The teacher nodded her head in assent while frowning slightly before letting her leave. When she arrived at the front gate Jennifer was greeted by a large man in a suit, "Are you ready for your lessons now Miss Steele?" Hearing this Jennifer frowned briefly before quickly forcing a smile, "Yes, let us go."

It wasn't until late at night that Jennifer was done with her extra lessons, something her father got her into to make it so she could 'keep up' with other students. Although she didn't like it, it really was something she needed to help with her studies after the many years of falling behind due to her 'rebellious' attitude. When she walked through the door of her home Jennifer's worries and anxiety seemed to wash away when she saw Mary's smile, "Welcome home Little Miss. The bath is ready for you, and your meal will be waiting when you get out." Jennifer returned the smile happily, "Thank you Mary, I will be back down to eat soon." She paused before climbing the stairs and turned back to Mary, "Is he home tonight?" Mary had an apologetic frown and shook her head, "He said he will be back late tonight, but he wanted you to try that new game since it has opened up earlier today, I'll have it ready in your room for when you finish eating." Jennifer frowned deeply and nodded before continuing on her way.

It didn't take long for Jennifer to finish her bath and eat dinner, after which she listened to some brief instruction from Mary before heading upstairs to her room to try out this new game or whatever it was. When she arrived in her room, what she saw on her bed was a strange grey helmet and a piece of paper lying beside it. Jennifer lifted the odd looking helmet and turned it around in her hands before setting it back down and reading over the note, 'To my beloved little Jenny, I am sorry that I could not be there tonight, business is keeping me late again, but I will be sure to be there with you in the morning. Please try to enjoy this Shards of Memory game, my clients seem to do nothing but sing endless praises for it, so I hope that you will come to like it too. Until tomorrow, know that I love and miss you, take care my little beloved.'

Jennifer stood beside her bed frowning deeply as her eyes glistened slightly for several minutes before she took a deep breath and recalled the directions Mary had given her for starting the game. She lied down in bed and put on the bulky helmet, then let her fingers search around for the power button that is supposed to have been on the side. After pressing the button she saw several lines of text appear on the visor, followed by a sharp stabbing sensation at the nap of her neck. She was about to throw the helmet off in shock but her body went limp much like a puppet with their strings cut. She quickly began to panic internally but she was cut off suddenly when her consciousness was robbed by the machine. Suddenly she awoke in a dark field alone, above she saw many stars in the form of the company name and logo of the helmet. The words soon faded and were followed by a floating line of text that said, "Welcome Player." A menu appeared near her hand with a few options and suddenly Jennifer's mind finally had a small idea of what just happened. She looked around again as her mind slowly caught up and recalled the description Mary gave her, once ready she went through the menu a little to start Shards of Memory.

She was startled once more when everything went black and a large old tome suddenly appeared and opened before her. She spent several minutes looking over the book from several angles, feeling the texture of the pages, and smelling the old dusty scent absolutely bewildered at how any of this could possibly be a game. All of it seemed far too realistic, but eventually she settled down once more and stared at the words on the opened pages, 'Start', 'Settings', 'Quit'. Jennifer was extremely tempted to press quit right there so that she could ensure herself that everything was still fine, but the game hadn't even started yet, so she begrudgingly pressed the start button.

Shortly after she pulled her hand away from the black text the old tome slammed shut and a tall mirror and several books appeared before her. In the mirror she saw her reflection, every detail accurate aside from her clothes. Dark orange braided hair reminiscent of a late season sunset, clear blue eyes creating a bit of contrast, and skin tanned just enough to make it obvious that she has spent plenty of time outdoors. Her height was no where near the height of the mirror, but taller then most of the girls she knew her age. She had a fairly petite build but was well well toned and had a pretty decent figure. Jennifer was a little disappointed with the clothes that she was wearing, plain white t-shirt, and simple brown pants, the texture felt rough and slightly itchy but at least it was better then being in the nude. It took several minutes before she realized that nothing was happening so she looked around again before finding a book that said 'Next', she tried to pull it out thinking that is what she had to do, but as she touched it a small menu of sorts appeared before her hands. It was asking her to choose her skills and starter equipment. She looked over it briefly then grabbed a few skills that sounded like something she would most likely use, then selected some 'Worn Leather Gloves' and 'Worn Leather Coat'.

Once again everything went black and she suddenly was somewhere else. Jennifer found herself standing in the middle of a wide open square in a strange town, a cold breeze was blowing across her wet clothes. (Wet clothes?!) It suddenly dawned on her that it was raining hard, she was soaked from head to toe. Sudden cold feeling soaked down to her bones and she shivered a bit, looking around quickly for some shelter she instead noticed people running in different directions in a hurry while trying to shield themselves from the downpour. She picked a random group and started to follow behind, didn't take long before her gamble bore fruit as the group led her to a place called 'The King's Boar'. Jennifer stepped inside quickly for shelter and was once more overwhelmed by the many sensations. The loud noises of people merrily chatting, fighting, and drinking, the smells of the food, the warmth of the large fire on the other side of the building, the gentle flickering lights of many candles and lamps, and the colors of the many peoples hair and outfits. She was amazed and mumbled, "Is this really a 'game'?"

**Italics for English

Diamantine

Post by Diamantine » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:38 am

It was raining pretty hard in the field and Natz was caught right in the middle of it. She trudged through the slippery grass, not stopping to think about the detail that had gone into the immersion, the feeling of rain on her skin, the mud on her boots or the young man who slipped right next to her-
"Oof!" she yelped as the hooded man fell on top of her, staining her clothes in mud. She stumbled to her feet and looked him in the eye.
"Watch where you're going! You literally just ran into me!" she growled at him. He said nothing and left, with what seemed to be a smirk on his face.
Confused, Natz got up and immediately fell back down again. There was something in her pack that wasn't there before, something remarkably heavy. Natz decided to go inside before she got any dirtier and made her way to the inn. The sign said the Kings Boar, a quite generic sounding name but whatever. She was absolutely covered in wet mud at this point and she took extra care not to get it on anyone or anything. She stood in the corner waiting for the fire to dry it off. She would need something else to wear, perhaps someone could make something from the red silk she had bought or something. Then she remembered the item in her pack.She pulled it out and immediately hid it again for fear of catching attention. It was an extremely shiny rock, or was it more like a nugget? It was smooth, shiny silver and highly reflective, like a deflated disco ball. That man must have dropped it, but what were the chances of finding him to return it? And what even was it? Natz decided to keep it until she knew more about it. She really wanted to team up with someone, like that other guy had said. Hopefully that time would come soon.

Myrn
Swiggity Swooty

Post by Myrn » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:59 pm

Hi, Hisa!" the small avatar of a girl smiled. "I'm not sure though, but it's pretty and feels familiar like I've listened to it a hundred times." Moriko couldn't place her finger on it but she was almost certain it was a voice she had heard before. Was it possible for her to be one of her friends from school? She wasn't aware of any who liked vrmmorpgs. Nor did she knew of any who was able to get the game to begin with. There was also the fact that some didn't even like games, which she thought was odd. Oh well. If she couldn't figure it out, she just might later. But for now, she would need help.

"But that's alright. I'll probably remember later but... how do I play this game? This is actually my first time using the headgear thing for games. I always played the games on the handheld devices. Soo.. yeah. There's tha-" It was then, that Moriko was interrupted by a single fat wet droplet or something. She glanced up and noticed the hyper-realistic swirling puffballs of rolling darkness. Fear had been struck into Moriko, the look of horror on her was truly the same as a child who looked death in the face and cried from the ugliness. Then the freezing rain began to fall hard. The child looking character had begun to run in circles as she wigged out from the petrifying sensations that were just too real.

"Oh gosh! What is happening? Everything is so cold! The world is ending! The sky is crashing! Hell has frozen over and I am meltingggg..." She cried as she ended her strange breakdown with her on the ground kneeling, looking defeated.
"He seemed the sort to even Dream in suave."

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:15 am

The inn was not quiet. The voices of huddled players melded into a singular buzz of wordless noise which further mixed with the lonely violin which made up the inn’s background music and the constant drum of rain against the roof. Aki followed her small group through the clumps of gathered players to a, thankfully, still empty bench next to the fire. By the time she took her seat the other two were already busy cleaning the grime off Yumi’s armor, so Aki busied herself with warming up. She shrugged her cloak open, and leaned forward, her hands outstretched towards the warming lick of the flame.

Hopefully she would have time to dry off before she logged out. Returning to damp clothes after her shift ended did not sound like it would be an enjoyable experience. Did she need to clean her equipment off too? That hadn't been a feature in the Alpha, or if it had been, she had no memory of it. Couldn't hurt to ask, she supposed.

“Hey, do I need to do anything to upkeep cloth--”

A series of sudden series beeps caused her Aki to pause. Her brow scrunched, and she began to turn to try and identify the source of the noise when a pop-up window appeared in the center of her vision. The text was simple enough, it just read alarm with two options <End> and <Snooze>, with a faint sigh, Aki reached out and tapped ‘End.’

So much for drying her clothes first.

“Sorry, that was my alarm, I have to get dressed for work.” Aki said, with an apologetic smile to the other two in her group as she swiped her hand up to open her menu. “My shift ends in about five hours or so. So if either of you two are still on I’ll drop a message.” Her hand traveled up to the upper right of the screen where the logout icon was located and--

She froze.

Where the icon should have been was a patch of blank screen. Aki’s eyes darted around her interface, her heart skipping a beat. Had it been moved? If it had then where would it be? Aki forced herself to take a breath to calm herself. If the icon wasn't on the interface then she would just need to go through the Options menu, there had been a manual way to logout there. Her fingers danced across the interface, and she scrolled down through all the various options and…

Nothing.

Don't panic. Don't panic. Don't panic.

“Hey guys, do you know where the logout button is?” She asked, a nervous smile forming on her lips. The other two looked wrong, almost like they were completely transparent, then, cracks began to spread across their bodies, a brilliant light spilling through the fractures. Aki opened her mouth to speak, but before she could her image shattered into shards of colored glass which clattered to the ground and sent motes of vibrant light rising up to the ceiling.

And, for a brief moment, all Aki saw was dark.

---------

Stunned, Hisa could only watch as the small girl frantically ran around, clearly horrified by the rain. Hisa looked up as fattened droplets splattered against her head and shoulders turning what had once been dry skin and cloth damp with water. The clouds above were dark, churning, angry twists of vapor, but they were still clouds. And it wasn't like any of this was real, so was the little girl just having fun? Maybe she was easily frightened by storms? Some little kids were like that, she knew.

Eventually the girl seemed to tire herself out, and she knelt to the earth crying out premonitions of doom and despair. Carefully, Hisa squatted down over the distraught child and scratched her cheek, not certain what she should do to comfort her. “Koriko, sweetheart, are you ok? It's just the rain, nothing to be afraid of.” Hisa smiled as she held out her hand to the rain in an attempt to prove that there was no danger.

And Hisa stared in amazement as a brilliant light leaked through the cracks in her skin, which seemed to spread like a mirror struck by a hammer.

----------------

When sight returned to her, Aki was back in the plaza. The heavy rain had turned to a steady drizzle, and all around her players were taking shape, as shards of crystalline glass descended from above and arranged into the shapes of players. Murmurs crept through the crowd, uneasy and confused, each searching for an answer, but few finding resolution. At the heart of the square, the pedestal which had once held the great book stood empty. Eventually the flashes of light signaling arriving players stopped, and the plaza was full of unease.

At the pedestal, there was a sudden flutter of papers, as if a whole stack had been upturned by the wind. A man’s voice boomed across the plaza.

“I am Lead Designer Kane Mori.” The words came at a weary, languid pace.

No one moved nor spoke; they all stood still completely transfixed. Fifteen-thousand eyes all trained on the man who stood at the very center of the grand city square. He was not a handsome man, his features were unremarkable, his skin pale, untouched by the sun, his hair an unsettled mess of black, his dull brown-green eyes raked across the gathered people, and his features, sharp chin, pointed nose, thin pink lips, all utterly forgettable. Yet, all fifteen-thousand were enraptured. With only an introduction, he had silenced the frightened mass. He; Head Designer Kane Mori, was a man who could provide the answers to their current predicament. But, with each word that dripped from his lips, what relief was drawn from his presence only waned.

“I have called you all here as I have an announcement, but first, regarding the several support tickets which have been received regarding the logout function being missing from the main menu, I would like to take a moment to address any growing concerns.” Mori paused momentarily, to clear his throat, and feeling of unease almost took physical form, as players shifted and metal clicked. “I would wish to inform all of you, and silence any fears that you might be having, this was no bug in the coding nor a minor error which will be shortly resolved. The logout function was intentionally left out of the retail version of the game.”

Noise ripped through the crowd, dozens of questioning shouts mixing in the air into buzz of commotion. With only a wave of his hand, Mori silenced the crowd.

“There is one, and only one way to leave. You must clear every level of this game. But, do not go with haste, Travelers, should your health points reach zero then your physical body shall perish alongside your avatar.” With a wave of his hand, a console took form. With only a few quick movements of his fingers, a sudden wash of light consumed the crowd, and by the time the glimmer faded the crowd which stood there looked nothing similar to the one which had been summoned to the square. Aki found herself standing upon her tiptoes to keep her gaze upon Mori. “To help remind you of what is at stake, I have set all physical parameters of your avatar to that of your real body.” He said, silencing another confused murmur as he dismissed the menu.

"Now that announcements are out of the way, I welcome you all to my world, Shards of Memory." A thin smile curled his pale lips, and Mori bowed. Scrolling glyphs twisted integrate patterns as they crawled up his body from his feet. With a shudder, his image shivered, and deteriorated into sheets of paper.

The tome slowly descended to where Mori had been standing a moment ago. There was a creak of ancient leather, as the book opened, as if pulled by some invisible hand. Words scrawled themselves across the blank page.

Chapter One:
Betrayal.

Welcome, Traveler…

A stunned silence hung over the crowd, held for three beats of a heart before finally being broken by a single shrill scream.
//… and it was there, and her blade flicked out catching only air. She backed from the door, worn floorboards shivering with each misplaced step...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III

Andromeda Infinity
Meaningless Title

Post by Andromeda Infinity » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:52 pm

A short time transcurred as Ichiro explored his own interface until something had piqued his interest, there was an empty tab between the main selections. Raising an eyebrow of doubt, he tapped a couple times on the option to no avail; it was then when he was interrupted. A sudden light pierced through his hand, creating a crack as it seemed to come from the inside, then extending across the arm. Did it happen because of him? Maybe it was a glitch, maybe not; Ichiro became worried that he might've broken something. Before his worries could grow, his vision was nulled, being able to observe only black. His senses became alert, his eyes would widen if they could, and his body would've definitely tensed up.

After a short moment, his sight returned, revealing that his position had changed; again at the starting plaza. Ichiro frowned, his eyes darting across the area to try and inspect the current situation. It seems like there were more being transported to the same place, a lot more, and they all seemed as lost as he was. This isn't good. If everyone else, who seemed confident and that knew what to do, were confused and some even panicking, it meant that this was definitely bad. The chaos and confusion remained until a man appeared in the middle of the crowd, claiming to be the lead designer, he surely would bring calm.

Except he didn't.

His words only served to spread more panic among the players, and confuse Ichiro even further, though it did answer a question. The empty tab from earlier, that was the Log Out function. "Dammit!" He thought, realizing that getting out of here was going to take a long time, time he couldn't afford to lose. His sister came to mind, and then his men, when was he going to exit this game? Time seemed to stop for him after the "no log out" announcement was made, his mind drifting away into his main concerns. Only the next flash of light returned the regular pace for him, which meant more trouble.

As the lead designer spoke, Ichiro could confirm each of his claims by looking around him. "To help remind you of what is at stake, I have set all physical parameters of your avatar to that of your real body." Were the man's words, and indeed, everyone else's appearances changed. Including Ichiro's. The first thing he noticed was his own skin, once white and flawless, was now slightly darker and creased; a small change others wouldn't notice, but he could. His eyes focused then on his wrists; his torso was mostly covered by the armor, but the black marks reaching his wrists meant one thing. "My--" Along the years, he had been inking history on his torso, like every Yakuza would; somehow this game now showed even that. As if he was still skeptical, he pulled a strand of his hair down; showing a blond lock in front of his eyes, which widened afterwards.

Despair, stress, anger. Most of all, anger. That is what he felt at all of this. Not only he was apparently trapped in this place indefinitely, but everyone else could see his real face. His eye twitched, lip curving down as he gritted his teeth. Ichiro was about to complain, to yell at Mori, to demand his way out; he had important things to do in real life! But, before he could do it, a quick glance revealed that the man was no longer there. His eyes narrowed, almost at the same time, silence engulfed the area. His fists clenched, there had to be another way out. He clicked his tongue, taking a deep breath. Then, the silence was broken by a scream. His head turned both sides to identify the source of the sound, there was nothing else he could do for now but to follow it.
"We're all idiots on the inside." - My dearest"...And from that moment on, I started loving you unconditionally."

Myrn
Swiggity Swooty

Post by Myrn » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:31 am

Koriko’s hands had gone transparent like glass that had begun to crack with light shining through. Before she could do or say anything, her vision had seemingly disappeared as the darkness took only to return with her standing in some other part of the town. She was too short to see what was happening and moved over to a pile of boxes and barrels beside a stand. She watched with transfixed eyes as the man who claimed himself as the game designer had essentially told them that they could not leave, that the logout was intentionally left out. But why?

Everyone began to murmur and yell only to quiet as he continued.

“There is one, and only one way to leave. You must clear every level of this game. But, do not go with haste, Travelers, should your health points reach zero then your physical body shall perish alongside your avatar.” Suddenly there was a light and Koriko was no longer the short child, but an awkwardly tall girl. “To help remind you of what is at stake, I have set all physical parameters of your avatar to that of your real body.”

"Now that announcements are out of the way, I welcome you all to my world, Shards of Memory." Koriko was struck dumb and watched the giant book settle back into its place with the pages revealing words. Chapter One: Betrayal. Welcome, Traveler... It was a fitting title.

The silence that followed was shortly broken as Koriko lost her balance as her foot had slipped off the edge of the barrel she had been standing on. She had unintentionally let out a terrified scream.
"He seemed the sort to even Dream in suave."

SuXeSoN

Post by SuXeSoN » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:49 pm

Despite what might be the reaction of the black-haired girl, Rugaki took the slightly wet rag away from Yumi, and scooched over beside the girl so he'd be able to clean the armour as well. It wasn't unusual for the boy to be this insistent when helping people. Besides, he already gave his word that he would be helping to clean anyways. Of course, honouring one's word was quite significant for someone like him, no matter if it's his own, or others'. He was rubbing one of the small cervices with vigour when he heard his new acquaintance trying to speak. Unfortunately, she was rudely interrupted by a very familiar pattern of beeps. Rugaki himself was more than familiar with the alarm, he always used it so he'd be able to log out in time to switch with his friend, or to do work. Speaking of work..“Sorry, that was my alarm, I have to get dressed for work.” Aki started to announce. “My shift ends in about five hours or so. So if either of you two are still on I’ll drop a message.” Before replying, Rugaki stopped his rubbing and turned his head to face her. "Shame, I doubt I would be on in 5 hours. I have to share this console with a friend of mine. Anyways, I'll see ya soon." He did a quick wave of farewell, before returning to the armour. It was at that moment he realized that perhaps he should log off soon as well. There was no doubt that Hiro is getting restless. As he wasn't exactly the studious type."Welp, I might log off after finishing with your armour mate." He told his near-future plans to Yumi.

At that moment, Rugaki had no idea that he wouldn't be able to fulfil his word that time. Strangely, that wasn't true in the next moment: When an apprehensive voice spoke out from behind him. “Hey guys, do you know where the logout button is?” It wasn't until that time, when the boy's attention broke away from the armour, he realized that his avatar was becoming transparent. "That's.. Odd" He muttered to himself, before looking around. It seemed that he wasn't the only one becoming transparent. The strange occurrences made him panicky himself, was this some sort of glitch? The "glitch" became more worrisome as he saw that there were cracks forming in multiple areas of his avatar. Lighting up wherever the cracks give way. But he wasn't feeling pain as he thought he would, making the sight much more confusing for him to process. Before long, the cracks spread throughout his whole body. Before the poor boy had any chance to react, he broke into pieces, quite literally so.

All was dark, and there was a sort of peace. But not for long.

He was instantly summoned to the plaza, along with thousands of others, he could only assume that they were all summoned here by the GMs or Developers. He was right. Everyone stood transfixed as they looked at a projection of a man Rugaki thought he knew very well beforehand. The appearance Lead Designer Kane Mori brought sudden relief, yet, uneasiness. Something was off about this appearance. He felt it in his gut. "The logout function was intentionally left out of the retail version of the game." Wait- was that a joke? A sick throwback to some unremarkable anime in the past? What kinda bullcrap is that?! Without the boy realizing it, his fist was tightly balled with annoyance. Clutching Yumi's armour and rag that he was still holding at the time. Which only tightened as more words spoke out from his mouth. The man he came to admire before was now the man he despised the most. He was dead serious, and this was no joke. Whatever the reason was for doing this, this was absolutely unforgivable.

He didn't realize it at first, but his appearance was changing. Which he only noticed because some major changes were happening to others. He felt himself losing a few centimetres, and he saw his bang turning back to his natural hair colour. Dull black. There was no doubt that his scar appeared on his left forehead too. There was a slight tingling, almost an itch, as he felt it forming. Personally, he wasn't as irritated about his physical changes as most would be, since he made his avatar pretty identical to himself anyways. What was bothering him was the fact that there's no escape from this place, except by completing the game. "And that we'll die in real life if we die here.." He muttered to himself as he clutched one of the pieces of paper that fell into his hand. Was that fact really true? There was really no way to prove it unless he actually died. There would be no way he would try that willingly though, it's way too risky. Rugaki looked down towards his feet, looking defeated. "Imouto-chan.." He knew that she would worry about him if she found out. Mori seemed confident that there was no escape except for clearing the game.ha So what would that mean if the console was shut down from the outside? Would he actually get out like that? Or would there be consequences? Lethal consequences?! Rugaki shuddered at the thought. A shrill scream was heard somewhere off in the distance, but that scream reminded him of his sister. Which only strengthened his resolve. He can't die here. No. He just can't. There's someone waiting for him outside, someone who would be utterly helpless without him. "That's why-.." That's why I have to find a way out, no matter what! He told himself. Crushing and throwing the piece of paper on his left hand. It made a dull crumple sound at the bottom of his feet. Only then did he discovered the contents of his other hand.

He was carrying Yumi's armour the whole time. He was reminded that he wasn't alone in this. Perhaps, with their help, they can find a way out of this. Rugaki spun around, looking for a girl about his height, and bla-

Oh yeah, their appearances might have changed

He realized that fact a bit late. It would make her more difficult to spot in the crowd. He was scanning pretty far off into the crowd though. Missing a certain petite, white-haired girl right beside him. Along with a certain brunette not too far from him too.
Last edited by SuXeSoN on Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you clean your vacuum cleaner, you're making your vacuum cleaner, and you're a vacuum cleaner.

Loyal to none but the one true King... OZYMANDIO-DA!

Diamantine

Post by Diamantine » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:03 pm

Natz was quite unaware of the games mechanics at that moment, so she almost didn't question the fact that her form was breaking up into light until a few milliseconds before everything vanished. Other people were having the same thing happen. Instantly reappearing in the main plaza, a place she had missed, along with many others worried her until she saw the tall figure, probably an admin or developer gloating above his peasants with some great holographic form. What was it about though? A developer special release? A QnA session? She listened carefully.

Two lines of dialogue struck her like bullets through her heart and brain.

"The logout function was intentionally left out of the retail version of the game.”

"Travelers, should your health points reach zero then your physical body shall perish alongside your avatar.”

It hit Natz out of the blue. This wasn't a game anymore, if it was even one in the first place. It was a death trap, and she had fallen in like a baby rabbit into a hungry wolfs den. Her breath picked up and shock and terror ran over her. Three words ran through her mind over and over, around and around like a train on a looping track.

"I'm already dead. I'm already dead. I'm already dead..."

Natz almost didn't hear the next part about their forms being reset back to their realistic physiology, and was further caught off guard by her body wavering and shifting. Luckily she hadn't really strayed too far from her real appearance as she really didn't see a character customization screen as something you really needed to completely change yourself, more insert yourself into the game. Her hair was a bit shorter and messier, her body a fair bit more out of shape and she had an annoying level of acne, but that was about it. Even though she was probably more well off than most people -especially those who had made their characters the opposite gender as themselves- she didn't feel reassured. Not in the slightest.