Dogs Eat Dogs: A New Era [RP]

newnostalgia

Re: Dogs Eat Dogs: A New Era [RP]

Post by newnostalgia » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:43 am

Gero's wide, round, teary eyes looked to the woman. He scowled slightly, and he sniffled again. "S-So ya recognize me 's parta the Pantheon? And ya still want to try ta cut a deal with me? Yer head empty or som'n?" He gave a laugh, though it sounded akin to a dog yelping.

He looked down at his bleeding hand and stared for a moment, then looked back at the woman with an eyebrow raised. "What kinda deal're we talkin' 'bout here? You'n yer big friend here gonna spare me if I spare you? I can't promise that. That...Motherhood bee gonna make me become her drone? Not down fer that."

He looked back at the spear hovering near his chest. He couldn't stand, he was dizzy, he was in pain, and this man had him at a position where he could kill him at any moment. If this guy (he didn't recognize the markings of him, but this guy) wanted to, he could really just take him out. Had he been a Pantheon member, he would have been successful.

Shit. This was intimidating. He could really die here. He didn't sign up for this.

He sniffled, and a fat tear rolled down his cheek despite himself. Shit. He told himself he wouldn't do that.

Shakily, his right hand went to his satchel, and he slowly opened it. "I ain't drawin' a weapon. Don't worry. I wanna hear ya out on cuttin' a deal, and I'll propose one first."

His eyes searched, and in moments he slowly pulled out a jar of jerky. He looked utterly defeated, like a wounded animal subtly admitting defeat and reluctantly laying down their pride, if only for a moment. He sniffled. "'ll this suffice? I give ya some jerky, ya help me out with this wound? He paused, and looked away from the people ashamedly. "'n this'll be a one-time thing. 'n we won't have to talk about this. 'n I can go on my way. "

Jhibus
Bronze

Post by Jhibus » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:49 am

It was humorous, Sei supposed, that the teen thought of her, the Rara man, and the Motherhood woman as a coordinated unit when she herself hadn't even known of their existence scant seconds ago. She glanced at the man accused of being her "big friend", idly wondering how he'd react should she order him around out of the blue. She wouldn't actually do so - the Rara warrior was in all likeliness the most skilled close-ranged fighter in the room, proven by his recent stunt with the spear, and she had no leverage on him to speak of. The Motherhood member looked strong but unaccustomed to combat, and with her Cent's firm doctrine she was someone Sei would rather not bother with swaying. But someone else she had leverage on...

Hazel eyes flicked back to the bleeding teen on the floor. She listened to his plea for help thinly veiled as a fair bargain, completely ignoring the container of food he pulled out of his bag the moment it became obvious that it posed no threat.

"On the contrary, I think we do need to talk." She gently propped her head up on the back of her intertwined hands, leaning forward with her elbows on her knees as she regarded the teen coolly.

"The high and mighty Pantheon, at the end of the day, operates on the same principles as any other Cent." Sei began, studying the gash on the teen's hand and watching the floor under it slowly grow deeper shades of crimson. "Trade is a necessity. Bartering with outsiders is an eventuality for any Cent that wishes to sustain itself indefinitely.

She let her gaze rise, making eye contact. "Painkillers, for instance. For the old and infirm, suffering from arthritic ails. For the sick and the injured, needing pain relief from injuries. Your Cent is resourceful enough to grow poppy fields and manufacture basic opioids from them, yet each harvest always yields a progressively lesser amount of seeds to replant for the next harvest. It needs another source. It is fortunate then, that Pantheon has a third-party supplier to prevent running out of poppies."

"But let's say, hypothetically, that this supplier decided to stop trading their scheduled biannual poppy seed delivery to the Pantheon."

Sei kept her eyes locked on the teen's face, analyzing his expression, and smiled. "The supply of painkillers dwindle and the Cent is without an effective means to relieve physical pain. The quality of life goes down. Not the most debilitating thing to lose, but still quite the substantial loss."

"Now, let's say that the reason this supplier stopped trading was because they were attacked, by a member of the Cent they were trying to trade with nonetheless. A..." she paused, smiling wider and tilting her head a fraction to the left. "... successful attack, almost costing the supplier her life. Let's also say that the supplier could describe the attacker and identify them on sight, if need arose. Can you imagine how disastrous the consequences for this attacker would be, were his Cent to find out that he was the cause of the embargo?"

Leaning back slightly, Sei rested an elbow on the chair's armrest and let the same arm prop up her chin.

"But I digress. Dried meat does sound palatable at the moment." Looking around the room at the two other occupants for what felt like the first time in a while, she hummed noncommittally before reaching her right hand into her own satchel and drawing out a roll of bandages plus a metal flask.

"I propose a deal to all share the jerky. Does that sound good?"
*sterile cough*

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:56 pm

Another intruder had followed Kaila in, this one obviously prepared to attack. Kaila's knives were in her hands almost instantly, her back turned towards a wall for defense. She might not have preferred to fight, but it would have been a mistake to take preference for inability. The Motherhood protected the most valuable resource of all. That, and as much of their system meant being young women wandering around alone, self-defense was a practical matter of course. She'd been trained to take care of herself before she'd gone out the first time, and one of the reasons behind the traditional year spent with the Cent after bearing a first child was to hone a woman's maternal instincts into a protective force to be reckoned with.

That, though, was not information that passed much beyond the Cent itself. Let others think them weak, call them weak. They did not need arrogance. Not like this new intruder, who had much more arrogance than competence, it seemed. His hand bled freely from a wound that he'd somehow managed to inflict on himself, and his threats weren't particularly impressive with him sitting down weakly on the floor. For someone who must have been of age, he reminded her more of a small child.

The Rara man seemed similarly unimpressed, pressing forward with a spear in hand. Kaila smiled slightly to herself, wondering what had made him decide not to kill the boy. It was obvious enough that he'd decided against it by the fact that the boy was still alive, after all. The woman in the strange clothing spoke against killing him as well. Kaila didn't offer an opinion, since she had only just arrived, but she had no particular feeling either way. The boy was obviously fairly weak, but then again, so were babies.

Still, she doubted anyone would have paid much for him. He'd even given her a nervous glance, and Kaila found herself raising her eyebrows at his assumptions about what she'd do with him. The Motherhood sought strong fathers for their children, not weaklings who might as well be children themselves. If someone like him somehow managed to get a child on her, she'd still the pregnancy rather than waste time and energy carrying the baby to term and going through the risk of childbirth.

The boy seemed determined to bargain, and had no idea how to do that, either. The jar he offered was pretty decent sized, something he should have saved for later rather than offered right away. The strangely dressed woman had... much to say. Kaila followed what she could, but she knew little about trade goods and trade routes. The older women handled that sort of thing in the Motherhood, those past their childbearing years. She knew opium, though. The Motherhood used it rarely, but they did keep a bit on hand, for extreme cases. Sometimes a child couldn't be birthed the usual way and had to be cut out with a knife. Times like those, that was what opium was for.

The other woman seemed to be fine with the deal as presented, drawing out a bandage roll that made Kaila blink. Bandages were not easy to come by, and knitting that fine took ages. She'd have wrapped it with scraps, but if this woman had enough bandages to pass them out, Kaila wouldn't complain - especially because that made this a particularly good group to stay with. She sheathed her knives, determining that the Rara man could handle any threat, and knelt beside the boy, taking his hand in hers and giving it a look.

It wasn't nearly as bad as he was making it out to be. For as much fuss as he'd been making, she'd wondered if he was about to lose a few fingers. Kaila sighed. "Put pressure here. Hold it. I'll sew it up." She looked back to the strange woman and the flask on the floor. "Is that alcohol?" A bit poured over a wound could sometimes keep it from festering. If it was, and the woman was willing to let her use it, she'd pour a bit over the cut before getting started on the stitching.

Kaila eyed the cut carefully, withdrawing a spool of thread from her pack and two needles, snapping off a length that looked about right for the wound and threading a needle at each end of it. It was easier to stitch through from both sides, criss-crossed to make a ladder, then draw it tight. "Can you hold still, or should I ask him to hit you over the head so you don't squirm?"

newnostalgia

Post by newnostalgia » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:22 pm

He looked at the woman in the strange clothing. "I...I mean, 's all the food I got, but..." His eyes went to his bleeding hand, and he cursed beneath his breath and felt sick again. "Shit. Fine. If I starve, I deserve it...here, catch," he said through gritted teeth, sniffling, and he tossed the jar in her general direction and hoped that she could catch it.

The Motherhood woman began to approach him, and he gave her a round-eyed look. He let her take his hand, though his body tensed up.

Shit, was this what it felt like to be prey? Was this what those people that he took down during training felt like?

The boys back home were right. He wasn't worth anything. He really wasn't. He was a weakling, a feeble child who apparently couldn't survive without some kind of trained mother coming and helping him out.

He obeyed her when she asked him to put pressure on the wound, and when she asked her final question, his heart caught in his throat again, and he prayed that she was joking. "I-I can sit still..." He studied her.

Blonde, pretty, and she looked to be not much older than him. Her eyes read experience, though, and the way that she spoke to him was that of a seasoned veteran. "Motherhood, right?" He had to admit, his barely-active curiosity was peaked with these three strangers. "What's your name?" In his head, he reasoned that there was no harm in learning her name, even if she was originally supposed to be prey.

He looked to the woman in the strange clothes. "Y-Yeah, 'n who're you, too? 'n what's with that get-up? Ya said ya're a trader, and I've seen ya before, but I ain't never seen no clothes like that before." He felt his heart patter in his chest, and he felt a bit guilty for the tone that that had come across in. "I-I...I meant that in the nicest way possible," he clarified awkwardly.

He hoped that she wouldn't come at his throat.

He finally looked at the man with a spear pointed at him, and he felt the fear and defeat again. "B-Big guy? What about you? 're you from a Cent, or are those symbols a fashion statement?" He gave a nervous chuckle. "I-I'm just wondering."

He felt another pit of nervousness grow in his chest, and he looked between the three of them, saying, "Ya don't have ta tell me. But I did just give ya some j-jerky..." That still sounded cocky. It wasn't like he'd meant to-- it was just the way that he talked. "I...I mean..."

There, he'd almost spoken the word "thanks", which was all but utterly forbidden for Pantheon members to say. He'd be admitting, through that word, that he was an unworthy disgrace.

So he nervously chuckled. "Good on ya for keepin' me alive. I can be quite...the a-ally..."

He looked over at his hand, which the Motherhood lady had begun to sew up, and he felt vomit rise in his throat. He groaned softly and looked away.

He muttered, "I guess ya all need my name first, huh? Ya probably don't trust me. I'm Gero...a Demigod of the Pantheon. But feel free to call me whatever. Like 'dumbass', since that's what ya all seem ta think of me. Or 'baby'. Since ya all seem to think I'm weak. Or whatever." He sounded overwhelmingly bitter.

Lord of Nothing

Post by Lord of Nothing » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:42 am

To a vast majority of what the boy was saying, Lok said nothing. Simply remaining there on the balls of his feet -- ever ready to rush forward and rupture the boy's lungs.

The boy seemed content with bantering but there was no joy or amicability to be found here. That was for something for rivalry. There was no concern here for "fairness" or an even playing field. Such a thing were for games and for training. This was real life. Something that the boy didn't seem to understand for Lok.

His questions mostly fell upon deaf ears. Indeed, the boy seemed to be under the impression that because he was fit and confident, that he was large. When in all reality he was about the exact same height as the one sitting down before him. At five foot nine and roughly one hundred and forty pounds. Was this how a wolf felt, when it stared at a limping deer?

The other "witty" remarks warranted no answer. How he had trained was something completely irrelevant to the matter at hand. As they spoke he knew little of solutions to the problem. But he knew what motivated him.

"You have crossed a line. I do not care for your "honor" or "chivalry" when you threaten my freedom with a weapon in hand. And as I see it the best way to preserve that is to kill you. Not only that but..."

He narrows his eyes.

"Your actions demonstrate your inadequacy to live in this place. Some would have taken you and done far worse. To kill you here quickly and without torture at the hands of sadistic man or the pain of a mauling seems almost ethical. A mere bonus."

He inches forward just a little bit to emphasize his point. Maneuvering the blade so that it would point towards one singular eye.

"My freedom is worth far more than a jar of beef jerky. But if you mention the word ally. There will be no "challenge." No duel. If you threaten me again I will probably kill you." And it was that moment that he drew the blade back. Where a spear once was, the "Mother" had come up to him to tend to his wounds. And with the he raised the blade until it pointed towards the ceiling.

The boy asked a question. He stoops down to pick up the jar of jerky. And then he walked across the room until he had gone over to the woman who had herself made the deal in question. Then he takes the jar and places it on the table.

"Do not put words in my mouth. You did not give me a jar of beef jerky. You gave her a jar of beef jerky." After all, he never really agreed to any of that. She was but a woman he had met seconds ago.

"It would behoove you to learn from this. To think before you act. And to consider the weight of your actions. Drawing a weapon. Making threats. These are not things to be taken lightly. And others would have done far worse." It was strange in way. Unpleasant feelings of him being yelled at for something similar and watching as other were yelled at came to mind. Yet to him it was understandable as to why the elders taught him this so.

With that, he walked to the end of the room with his back to the wall. Standing in a place where he could see everyone. And where no one could stab him in the back without going through a wall first. His spear was held up to the ceiling and he was given enough clearance to raise it again. He did not lean on the wall and instead simply stood up straight.

The boy spoke and he answered his question. The markings of his tribe all over his body was something many did not forget. The young wore markings with those who passed the age of eighteen had the markings tattoo'd onto their bodies.

"I hail from the Rara tribe. Descended in practice from the Rarámuri or otherwise known as Tarahumara native American tribes. However, eventually we became one united by ideals and the hunt. Rather than race. We focus on endurance rather than power, and skill. We live mostly away from others. Living off the land like our ancestors." There was always the possibility that the boy would run back to his cent. And deliver intelligence on it. While the Rara did not hide, he did not like the thought of him knowing too much.

"Many are like me. Hunters and gatherers. Only some have guns to defend against outsiders. I was not given one. For I am not valuable enough. Too young. And having done so much." He left the boy with that. Evading other such phrases as the fact that forests do not grow bullets.

Perhaps one day he would be valuable enough to be lent a gun. And if he became an elder, he could own one.

"Does anyone know of that church over there? It looks nice. Compared to the rest."
Sandbox

Lethe, The Once Reaper
Voracious, The Vampire Vagabond
Vas, The Shadow Man
Amaranth, The Ultimate Life-Form
Jackal, The Devil's Dog

Concepts

Varcolac, The Cursed Cartel
Nosferatu, The Damned Descendants of the Darkblood

List of all characters across every sub-forum: Here!

Jhibus
Bronze

Post by Jhibus » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:04 pm

Sei was inwardly surprised, keeping her smile neutral as she quickly reconsidered her opinion of the Motherhood. It'd been careless of her to dismiss the fighting ability of the woman, having seen her reflexes. She watched as the childrearer approached the teen without hesitation.

In Sei's eyes, nothing untoward would happen. Safety, at least for the moment, was all but guaranteed. While her initial analysis of the Motherhood woman grossly underestimated her combat prowess, there was nothing yet disproving her Cent's tendency to avoid conflict. She was even about to give medical treatment to a would-be attacker, who was even less of a threat in his current position. The teen wouldn't move until the stitches were finished and the spear was pointed away from him. The only person she wasn't safe around was the Rara member.

Speaking of the spear-wielding man, Sei regarded his presence in the room as both the greatest threat and greatest boon to her right now. He had the physical advantage of reach, strength, and stamina over everyone else here, and while that meant he posed a danger to her, he posed an equal danger to anyone else that had plans to ambush the sudden and impromptu gathering in the building they were all in. Eyeing him, she watched as he threatened to skewer the pitiful teen one more time, then start to approach her with the sloppily-thrown jar of jerky in hand.

Her eyes slid to the jar as he placed it on the table and walked back to his original spot. Listening to the man's history was intriguing, especially considering what he'd said about firearms. It wouldn't hurt to mentally note their importance to him. She was careful to keep a visibly lax posture on her chair until he was back against the wall before standing up straight and picking the jar up from the table - it wouldn't do to get stabbed on reflex.

She nodded at the Motherhood woman's question as she walked over and dropped both the bandages and alcohol next her. "Apply it as liberally as you want." she said, before listening to what the teen had to say. He revealed that he had seen her before, but not her suit. Strange. She brushed off his comments on her attire as he introduced himself as Gero.

"Call me Sei." she said, looking down on him as his gash was treated. Smiling at his self-admission of incompetency, she opened the jar and fished out a piece of dried meat. "And I recall the deal being to "all share" the jerky. That includes you, doesn't it?"

Popping the small strip into her mouth, she offered some to the Motherhood woman, then to the yet-unnamed Rara man leaning on the wall a distance away, then to Gero himself.
Last edited by Jhibus on Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*sterile cough*

newnostalgia

Post by newnostalgia » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:59 pm

Gero took it, slightly confused why an enemy was offering him some sympathy. Sure, he'd...he'd asked for it-- begged for it, really-- but he'd truly been expecting to die right there. He gave her a weird kinda smile that conveyed some kind of thanks. With his free hand, he shoved the jerky into his mouth.

"For a trader, ya know, ya're really nice," he said, talking with his mouth full, as he had not been raised with manners. "Sei, right? I'll prolly forget that. Ain't never been good with names."

He looked at the Rara guy. "'n yeah, I noticed the same thing with tha church." He felt the same anxiety as before set in once again-- he still didn't feel safe around this dude. Or any of 'em, really. Trust wasn't a concept that he really knew or exercised.

He chuckled nervously. "'s big. That and that weird statue thing are really new-lookin'. I was wonderin' if someone didn' touch it 'cuz some big guy was in-in there...but whaddoIknow...it-it's just a guess...or whatever..." He swallowed his jerky, and his stomach growled, as if it had just realized, amidst his chewing, that he hadn't eaten in two days. He grimaced and felt sick again, and in his periphery, he noticed his hand again. He turned his face away. "That statue-- er, or whatever it is-- is kinda cool. I mean, detailed or whatever...makes ya wonder what kinda time people had back in tha last era...doesn't seem ta serve a purpose. Nobody ain't touched it. Ain't even bird shit on it. Looks like everyone's...every-everyone's confused'bt it as I am..."

One could easily tell that Gero, the insolent, stupid kid, was also a nervous chatter. This would definitely make him a pleasure to be around, yes...

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:32 pm

The boy claimed he could sit still, and started asking questions. Kaila’s response to the one about her name was to pour a splash of alcohol from the proffered bottle onto the wound and jab him with the needle. She didn’t answer, her mien impersonal, commencing stitching up the would on his hand. He managed not to pass out, but kept babbling, probably to distract himself from what she was doing. Eventually, he gave a name, along with a list of possible alternatives, none of them too complimentary to himself. Kaila tied the final knot in the thread, then sheared it off a quarter inch from the wound with her knife before sheathing it again in a single motion.

“Keep it clean, little brother.” As names went, it could have been worse, but it wasn’t precisely a compliment. The Motherhood didn’t keep boys past 12, so there was certainly a hint of the diminutive involved from her perspective. If he acted like a child, though, she might as well refer to him as such. Kaila picked up the alcohol again, pouring a tiny amount into a cupped hand, rinsing her needles in it first and then tucking them into her knapsack before using the small handful to rub over her hands. She took her time about it, methodically, as the Rara delivered his lecture. Kaila was a bit surprised that he didn’t give the boy any worse than a tongue lashing, but she supposed if he’d given the boy a scar to make a point, it would have been a waste of resources.

Only once she was decently satisfied with the cleanliness of her hands did she give the strangely dressed woman - Sei - a nod, and accept a piece of jerky. It was decent stuff, the kind that would keep for a while. Kaila didn’t need to eat just yet, so she tucked it into her bag as well, wrapped in a scrap of cloth. Better to save preserved food for when she had to have it - it was still possible she’d find something else today that needed to be eaten more quickly.

“Kaila.” An offer of food was worth a name. “I didn’t see the church. I must have come from the other direction. If you’re going that way, I’d come with you. I like looking at nice things.”

Swag Cat

Post by Swag Cat » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:43 pm

Red , everywhere, red pieces of clothes everywhere. These torn down piece of red clothes were pure white clothing that turned red due to the bleeding eyes of the girl who never had a chance to look at the sky to the fullest. Of course, she wouldn't know if the clothes turned red due to the excessive blood on them. She usually figured out she needed fresh pieces of clothes when she felt itching on her face. With no medical services, she didn't know if there was a chance of infection.

" Every month, I need fresh clothes. Damn these eyes bleed more than I bleed every month". She complained sighing as she believed no one was listening. She felt she was in the middle of nowhere. Truth to be told, she didn't even know herself where she was. Her limited supplies were vanishing at an alarming rate. " If I don't eat, I can keep my eyes healthy. If I eat, I can't keep them clean and healthy. If I don't keep myself clean, no one gives me any work". It was such a dilemma and she had to ask herself these questions everyday. She was in a small place no longer than a wrecked empty doghouse in a deserted area. " At least, this place is free". She smiled at her luck thanking her God she was able to find a shelter.

Her stomach growled louder than a hungry dog. " Oh man! Just for once, keep quiet". She didn't have a chance to eat for more than a day. She was from frontier who is quite disliked by people from any cent. But it was hard taming her hunger, she was getting weaker and weaker. " Perform or Perish". That phrase was testament to this world. She got up , her legs shaking a little as if they were not able to support her weight. " Guess, have to eat something with high protein in it. Damn, I have even stopped masturbating. Why this feeling of being tired all the time"? Of course, she knew the answer, it was very hard to survive in an era where cannibalism was legal. She untied the two sheaths and the belt carrying daggers placing them aside. Often, many thoughts surfaced in her mind to sell those weapons and eat a meal worthwhile but she never did that because those were the tools that earned her livelihood.

She slowly pulled up the leather vest from her body, touching every part of the vest making sure it didn't need stitches. " Please God, please no expense". She was able to feel something on her vest, but it was not grave enough to be repaired. Then, she pulled down the leather bottom and repeated the same. It was funny, she was worried about the condition of her protective gear but neglecting the injuries caused to her gentle body. Her body was covered in red lines, of course, she could just feel them. Wearing leather suit was not easy especially in high temperatures. Moments like these, where she felt so light and free. " Good! Nothing to repair". After much difficulty, she was able to wear them again. Covering her leather suit, she wore her torn attire. She could feel that her clothes were pathetic condition. ".......". She wanted to say something but rather decided against it.

Tightening the belt around the waist, she latched the sheaths against her back. Then, moving her hands haphazardly to locate small pieces of clothes, she was able to find some but when she sniffed them, they had to be washed. But those blood stains would never disappear. She was tempted to leave them behind, but it would enable to lead anyone or any animal to her. She had a small bag where she stuffed them in, hoping they wouldn't contaminate her belongings. " Why do I have a feeling I am forgetting something "?

She was forgetting the most important thing. She had put everything in her bag but left no spare cloth to cover the dreaded scene of her eyes. It took a while for her to figure out, but when she accidentally touched her cheeks, she felt a liquid coming down her face. She tasted it, it tasted like blood. " Oh Damn". She did not have any spare cloth, and with her blood covered hands , she torn a piece of cloth from her cloak leaving red finger prints all over the white silky cloth. But at least, she was able to wrap it over her eyes. Oblivious of the fact that some blood on her face was dried up, she imagined she looked beautiful and ready.

She heard from someone there was a Church nearby. She finally left her new found home of a dog house. She began to walk not knowing which direction it was. She could swear she remembered the directions and number of steps from the main street to that dog house. Guess, she messed up. She was able to get a wooden stick to support her, and with its support, she was walking and walking with no idea about the destination. Why she was going to the Church? She believed she could find someone who could offer a hand to a blind girl? At least, she was optimistic she could find someone to give her an opportunity to have at least one meal for the day.

Golden_
Silver

Post by Golden_ » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:14 am

Voices. She heard them, several of them. That was a fact, but precisely how many? Eden wasn't close enough to make that call. One specifically kept her listening; the one who had attracted her attention in the first place. They were a little louder than the rest, a little more bold. Bold enough to scream in an empty street. Fortunately for him, those screams seemed to cease. His chatter however, it kept on going. She couldn't quite make out what he was saying, but the simple fact that he continued to speak meant he wasn't dead. Yet.

Based on her totally unreliable analysis, Eden decided not to engage. The screamer wasn't in complete trouble, and there were a few too many voices for her to blindly walk through the doorway and announce herself. So she turned, leaving the skeleton of a building behind. Wandering back in the direction she came from, Eden couldn't help but scan the buildings she passed. Most were trashed, many were nothing more than four crumbled walls. This entire town, for the most part, didn't seem to offer much. Regret washed over the woman, who suddenly decided that this was a waste of time. She should've just kept walking, perhaps even turned back to her woodsy hideaway, leaving this place to rot.

The most impressive thing about it was probably the monument. How it was still there, not toppled over and melted down was beyond her. From a distance, it looked like some mighty fine material. But then again, she wasn't an expert. She also wasn't religious, nor did she believe in a higher power. Then why was it that the church, situated a block or so away from her current location, seemed to be calling out to her? The pointed rooftop seemed to be intact, showcasing a lovely, chunky cross at the very top. An intact building likely meant more supplies right? Eden clenched her back teeth together, contemplating her next move. Okay, just this one final pitstop, and she was out of this shithole.

Once she was far enough down the street, the blonde bolted across to the other side, in the direction of the church. Her gaze lifted up to the sky, up at the pointed tip, only to suddenly drop at the sound of distant footsteps. More people. Great. Eden stopped in her tracks and ducked behind a crumbling wall, hoping that she was fast enough to evade attention

A figure came into view, one that held a wooden stick. It appeared to be a woman, one who had some sort of material wrapped around her head. Covering her eyes? Eden frowned, suddenly realizing that this person was likely blind. But how...?
...was adopted by Satan himself, before [she] was returned out of fear of [her] awkwardness