Legacy: Chapter One

kotetsu

Re: Legacy: Chapter One

Post by kotetsu » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:20 pm

Roy sat there looking at the good doctor with a semi blank expression on his face. Halfway through her talk he had realized he had been chewing with his mouth partially open. As a matter of bare minimum politeness he put that much more effort forth to not do so and restrained himself when he went in for his next his next bite of food.

He wanted to get a word in for sure. She was going on for a while. He got in a raised eyebrow transitioned into a very mildly annoyed look when she mentioned the idea of team mates turning on each other, as if he would be the first to do so. If he hadn’t had thicker skin than he did the look would have maybe lasted a bit longer, or resulted in a table flip. Who knows? He was an adult now and he knew well enough this wasn’t an offence warranting one. Plus as she went on she seemed to mean well enough, borderline relatable even. Not enough for him to take up that last offer though.

He sat there for a moment longer when she was done, letting the silence and the sound of him chewing a rouge piece of bacon that slipped out of his sandwich fill the air, followed by a brief few awkward seconds of silence.

“You keep your attack dogs patched up, and we won’t have any problems doc.” he said. His eyes trailed off as he gave an indifferent look around the room once more.
Current Characters
Roy McLean, JJ...
Currently Active RP's
Legacy: Chapter One, Crossroads: Chapter 1...
(RIP Azuria)

Poetic Ghost

Post by Poetic Ghost » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:28 am

"I appreciate that, lieutenant." James added. "I don't want to lose anyone down there, especially if this is all just going to get covered up in black ink because the brass doesn't want to let anyone know they dropped the ball out here." James let out a sigh, she could tell he'd been through this mess before.

"Anything else you need to know before we sit down for some grub? I'd prefer that my right-hand woman was ready to rock with all the bases covered once our boots hit the ground." He chuckled, a soft grin crossing his rugged face.

- - -

Across the ship's speakers, Serah's calm and smooth voice sounded through the halls and into the mess, where the crew who were enjoying their breakfast and trading half-blunt jabs, friendly introductions, and indifferent comments, were all sitting together. Their chatter was briefly interrupted as Serah addressed the team.

"Good morning, crew! I hope you're enjoying your breakfast so far, and I really hope you've saved me some eggs.. anyway, we're going to be beginning our descent into Threshold's atmosphere, so things might get a little choppy, but as long as you buckle down anything that might break and maybe take a seat, we should all be just fine... Space Captain Serah Ohara, out!" She signed off with verbose and the all-call came to an end with a nice nautical whistle.

Akari cocked a brow afterwards. "Huh... I guess coffee did the trick after all." He added. A moment later, the ship's usual subtle vibration began to grow to a light tremor, and anyone who didn't quite have their "sea-legs" yet may have needed to find the nearest secure seat or something to hold unto until they could steady themselves. Breaking atmo' never really got comfortable, even for Akari.
]

AnonymousGhost

Post by AnonymousGhost » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:21 am

Revelation wanted to rebuke Roy’s comment, but he was right. Her life consisted of people pointing her in a direction and saying “attack” or “fetch.” It just stung to have it so blatantly pointed out. Her attention was quickly drawn to Akari and the lieutenant as they re-entered the kitchen. She eyed them warily, trying to gauge the nature of their conversation. At first it seemed everyone was going into this mission equally blind, but now it appeared that wasn’t the case.

Then again, she reminded herself, maybe their private conversation had nothing to do with the mission. Not everyone is a secretive, underhanded reprobate with a hidden agenda.

…but aren’t you?

Revelation forced the paranoid thoughts to the back of her mind and instead focused on their descent to the planet’s surface. She’d never been to Threshold and was genuinely excited to see what they were in for. She knew it was a colder climate, which—given that she was a dark side Zetarian—suited her just fine. And there was snow! Snow! She’d experienced it before, of course, but there was something about it that made her want to squeal with joy. If she survived this, she’d return to build one of those anthropomorphic snow creatures her father was always going on about.

As the low hum of the ship evolved into the telltale tremors of landing, Revelation easily kept her footing. After spending most of her life on ships, she’d learned how to maintain her balance even on the rockiest of landings. Malum ships weren’t built for grace and the sounds of their landing mechanisms were often mistaken for bursting pipes or an engine fixing to explode. Suffice it to say their landings were never smooth.

Reluctantly, Revelation tore her eyes from the snowy surface swiftly approaching and turned to Akari. “What are the rules for this little mission of ours in regards to killing? Or torture? Mutilation? Dismemberment? Maiming? Ya know, just the general guidelines we have to operate under.”
Character(s): Revelation Namoor in Legacy: Chapter One

Gimme the yeet bois and free my soul, I wanna get tossed in a fuckin hole

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:16 pm

Not much for conversation, were they? This was likely to be a rather boring assignment if Alia had ended up with a group of stoicists. Additionally, it was going to be hard to establish a rapport with them - or get them to establish one with each other - if they didn't feel like talking.

Briefly, she considered her options - but she'd agreed to do a job, and she was going to do it. If she started offering aid based on the social graces of her patients, she was soon going to end up doing no work at all. Besides, the coffee was worth staying just for itself.

"You're worth more than a dog, Roy," she said calmly instead, sitting back and drinking her coffee. She might have said more than that, but the crackle of the ship's speakers interrupted with an announcement that they'd soon be making planetfall. Alia swallowed the last of the coffee and deposited her dishes in the proper receptacle before sitting down again for the transit. She could stand through an atmospheric transition - hell, she'd been doing a surgery during one once, an experience that she never hoped to repeat. Certain parts were not meant to jiggle like that.

Capability notwithstanding, sitting down was easier, plus it gave her a better idea of who was likely to stand through it just to prove they could. Professionally speaking, that translated into knowledge of which of them were likely to try to "tough it out" when they got hurt, which affected treatment processes.

The ship moved, the barren snowfield approaching below. The absent crewmembers had returned, and their Zetarian member turned her attention to the captain, with a series of questions that made Alia wince, not even trying to hide her reaction. She put her head in her hands for a moment, then sat up again with a pointed inquiry of "Can we not?"

She understood that sometimes the fighting was necessary, sometimes even the killing - but some things were beyond the scope of rationality.
Capacitor
The God-Damned Lightning
Astra
A Manufactured Deity
Prism
Like, Totally Brilliant?
Eternal Flame
Pax City's Phoenix

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:19 am

“I think I’ve got about as clear a picture as I can manage given the circumstances,” Kit said with a chuckle before a more serious expression crossed her face, “though, one thing does come to mind, would you happen to have access to the facility’s floor plan? Might be useful if we need to knock over a wall or two.” She didn’t expect anything detailed really, especially if it was a black site, but never hurt to ask. Her gaze flicked up to the speakers as the captain gave her good mornings and the warning of atmospheric entry.

“We best get back before the cap’s flying knocks all the food to the floor.” Kit said with a light hearted wink before she turned back kitchen way and walked with about as much grace as one could muster with the tremors. At least the ship didn’t feel like it was trying to twist itself apart.

~~~

“What are the rules for this little mission of ours in regards to killing? Or torture? Mutilation? Dismemberment? Maiming? Ya know, just the general guidelines we have to operate under.”

Well, that was a question to walk back into the room to. Kit cocked a brow as she stepped past the alien angling for a fresh cup of coffee and an empty plate off the stack.

“I’m with the good doctor on this one,” Kit added as she scooped up a measured amount of the breakfast offerings, a triplet of eggs, a few slices of bacon, and a pair of pancakes. She stepped back to and empty seat, taking a long draw from her coffee so it wouldn’t go splashing out once the real rattling started.
//… under her weight the floorboards gave, and she fell into the dark...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III

kotetsu

Post by kotetsu » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:48 am

He didn’t give much more than a subtle eyebrow raise when the doctor told him that. To be told he personally was worth anything was uncommon. The corporation that had their leash around his neck only talked about it when it came to money. He’d be about to raise his finger to emphasize a follow up response point when the little one started going down her list of Geneva convention violations, presumably in order of preference. It was hard to tell and mildly surprising to say the least, being a bit out of the loop with what most the people here were like until now.

“Gonna have to keep an eye out for her” he mutters under his breath.

In an unprecedented move Roy decides to stand up and speak for the group. The turbulence comes as a slight shock as he stands, and he takes a moment to grab onto a nearby support beam with his free hand. No awkward stumbling was gonna ruin the moment. He’d take one of the last few bites of his sandwich he almost lost in his other hand and speak up.

“As much as I’d enjoy the all clear to stomp a new mud hole in the first bloody prick we run into when we land… I think the real question is what kind of prick I am going to be taking such…” he pauses for emphasis.

“…violent actions against?” He snickers for a moment at the way he was phrasing things. “What did they do to earn it and why us instead of a couple of no name rank and file soldiers?”

In a sense he felt he knew the answer already, but it was reassuring to hear it out loud.
Current Characters
Roy McLean, JJ...
Currently Active RP's
Legacy: Chapter One, Crossroads: Chapter 1...
(RIP Azuria)

BanefulMelody

Post by BanefulMelody » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:44 am

You're more beautiful than I could've ever imagined... thank you.

Aurora stowed the scanner away in an instant, rushing beside the wounded man. Nobody else in the medbay. Threat postponed? Or no threat at all? No. There was no reason the team would have left the man - quick flicker, registry call: Leon Cross, medic, security detail - in such a terrible shape. Something could have happened to him here, which meant -

Which meant she still had to be on high alert.

"Miss Katsopolis, it's safe to enter," Aurora called over her shoulder, trying to help the bleeding medic sit up against the wall. Safe to enter for the moment. It was a bit of a reckless process, to bring Estelle inside the room when she hadn't fully scouted it yet, but an extra pair of hands - and eyes - would be useful in bringing Leon back to optimal functionality.

Besides, it was safer to have Estelle where Aurora could watch her.

Besides, it was nice to have someone else nearby.

"I'm not a dedicated medical practitioner. My knowledge registry will be supplemented by outside documentation. You must agree to liability for any injuries you may maintain when -"

Process override. There's no way he's agreeing to an SLA in this mental state. /liability must be assigned/ If he's harmed and presses charges, I will accept liability. He'll die otherwise. /more harm might be/ Recovery process disabled by administrator. Override accepted.

"Miss Katsopolis. Gauze, tape, stitching kit. You should find them somewhere around here. Hurry, please."

She peeled off his shirt, examining the situation. A large wound in the abdomen, and if her sensors could be trusted, metal debris inside the wound. It would have been so much easier if she was medically assigned - this wasn't her designation at all, she was a glorified secretary. She knew business and communications protocols, not field surgery. Still, the external on-site servers had some medical documentation handy, and for the rest -

She shook the man's shoulder gently.

"Mr. Cross, are you conscious? I need you to walk me through this, if you can. I'm going to try and plug the hole. I don't think I can remove the debris, but I can stop the bleeding. Miss Katsopolis, his dossier lists him as having Type O- blood. You should find a refrigerator nearby. Find a packet labelled O-. Make sure it has the negative sign, that's very important."

Poetic Ghost

Post by Poetic Ghost » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:20 pm

What are the rules for this little mission of ours in regards to killing? Or torture? Mutilation? Dismemberment? Maiming? Ya know, just the general guidelines we have to operate under.

That wasn't the first thing he was expecting to hear as he returned to the rest of the crew, but he knew that the question would come up from someone in the crew, whether it was Namoor or one of the other less than stable members of his team. “Doctor Asai’s right. I’d prefer to keep the ripping and tearing to a minimum if possible, this is supposed to be a search and rescue mission, not search and destroy.” James told Revelation as he checked the eggs he had left in her care. The shaking from the landing had scrambled them a bit more than he'd hoped, but they'd still taste nice enough.

As he turned back to the group, Mclean spoke up, asking the questions that everyone else had on their mind. "Well, Roy. We've been chosen to deal with this because sending a warship across space to investigate a planet that is of little strategic value tends to look pretty shady. The last thing we wanted was our enemies seeing us make a move and thinking we had something going on." James answered, but looked about the whole crew as he spoke. "We decided to put together this crew because you've all got the skills and the experience to handle whatever is going on down there, and if need be, burn everything behind you if this all goes south."

Just as he finished speaking, the whole ship lurched and shook violently, making even the most steady of the team seek something to hold onto. Akari grabbed the support beam and anyone who had fallen nearby as they rode out the shaking. The lights within the mess hall went dark and a dull red alarm light pulsed and illuminated the room as the entire room suddenly lost it's gravity. With nothing tethering them to the ground, they all began to float as the ship keeled and veer through space. Akari slammed hard against the ceiling and elements of the kitchen floated and struck the walls and crew members.

Suddenly, gravity returned and everyone met the floor once more. Some landed more painfully than others. "What the hell?!" Akari swore as he came to his feet. "Everyone alright? Doctor Asai, please attend to anyone who's injured." James pressed his finger to his earpiece, "Serah? Can you hear me? Mind explaining what the hell that was?"

James waited a few seconds. There was only silence and the light crackle of static. "Serah? Do you copy?" James called again, once more only static answered. He cursed and turned to the team. "Something's not right." James said intently as he began to make his way for the door out of the room, but as he placed his hand on the panel, he found it unresponsive.

"Just great..." James let out a groan and called over his shoulder as he grabbed one side of the door and began to pull. "Hey! I need a hand with this, we need to get to the bridge."

"Someone should bring a gun."

- - -

"I-I-I'm on it!" Estelle called to Aurora as she began to collect the supplies and blood, her wrench still firmly grasped in her left hand as she searched the medlab, nervously checking behind knocked over gurney's and in supply closets.

Leon winced and gritted his teeth as she peeled off his soaked black shirt. His torso was already marked in some places with scars from wounds of varying weapons, but this was by far the most serious of his history. By far it was the most painful.

"I'm awake, I'll help you as much as I can..." Leon said, pulling himself into the position she needed him in. He could now see her more clearly as his sense of reality began to come back. An android... I didn't know they had one of those here... at least not once as advanced as her. He pulled his hand away from his wound slowly, exposing the very tip of a shiny metallic object, perhaps a piece of machinery or tool. Removing it now would only quicken his already quick loss of blood, it seemed the android understood this too.

"You'll need to pack it with gauze, that's probably the best we can do for now... then stitch where you can, but not too much, we still need to get that piece out of me..." He said, looking down at his wound and pointing a finger at the metal. Leon could feel his fingers growing numb, and Aurora could see his skin growing pale. "Then you can wrap it and we need to get out of here... I don't think we're safe..." Leon added as he took a deep breath in and looked Aurora in the eye.

"You're not safe."

Estelle came running across the medlab, hopping over debris with packets of blood and medical supplies in her arms. "I got everything I could carry... I wasn't exactly sure what gauze was..." she said as she laid out everything on the floor in front of Aurora. It looked as though she had taken half the medical supplies in the entire lab with her. Scissors and scalpels and syringes. Bandages and blood packs and a bonesaw. Among it all, there was gauze and tape, there was a stitching kit, and there was more than enough O- blood for Leon. "I think I got it all, but I can go back if you need..."
]

Quirbles
Advanced Mod

Post by Quirbles » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:13 am

SOME SHITHOLE, BACKWATER RESEARCH PLANET
Situation Appraisal: A Generous Distance Up Shit's Creek
Paddle Notably Absent.

"Got to be fuckin' kiddin' me, right about now."

The landing had gone about as well as it fuckin' could've. Air gyros were shot from the FTL jump, and the landing gear had been one of the first things to go in the atmospheric descent, which really meant one thing-- a rough landing, no matter how gingerly he tried to set the damn thing. Pair that with a group of weak fuckin' compensatory thrusters at a downward trajectory with a nearly perpendicular angle to the earth, and the hunk of metal he found himself within was starting to look more like an overblown coffin than anything resembling a ship.

When they found him, at the very least, it'd be a hell of an odd sight. Jackbooted squares on this backwater scientist planet would probably end up thinkin' some service bot hijacked a trash shuttle and tried interfacing with a research station at ramming speed. If there was anything left to investigate, that was. The chances of him becoming a mangled mess of ash and metal were looking mighty high, right about now.

But, no-- he'd managed to land the thing, somehow, some way, without his ship becoming a nice little skid mark in a glacier somewhere; he did, however, manage to dent the landing pad fairly well on the way to a complete stop. Well, the landing pad, along with the roofing and part of the wall he'd slammed against when he overshot the pad, but-- repairs would come inevitably, and he couldn't quite complain that the ship was still in one piece. He had no doubt that the cargo hold would remain unscathed, either-- that thing had lead-plated walls thicker than a god-damn destroyer hull. If anything, he was surprised the building hadn't caved in.

"Hub transmission feed, please respond, this is a C-Class cargo-- ah, shit, the fuckin'... communication array is shot, too. God fuckin'..."

Nothing quite left to do but journey out on foot, then-- so, journey he did.

A small blade and his trusty salvage revolver were the only two pieces of weaponry he took out with him, at the moment, besides the chit reader and welding multitool. The latter two were... far from weapons, but he'd been known to make due in times of dire need. Chit readers had a damn sharp reading tool if he got the angle just right. Could cut through a Terran skull like a knife through Skaa-butter.

God, he missed Skaa-butter. Damn good thing to eat.

"Hel-lo? Don' tell me yer all sleepin', now. Hard to miss a fuckin' mini-freighter landin' on your God-damn heads."

Not a soul in sight, it seemed. Regardless-- the android traversed the landing bay, moving deeper inside the compound to figure out where the hell he could fix the pile of scrap he'd left lying on the hangar floor.

AnonymousGhost

Post by AnonymousGhost » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:17 pm

The sudden turbulence, temporary loss of gravity, and malfunction of the ship’s technology was more than enough to put Revelation on edge. She brushed scrambled egg off her suit and watched as Akari tried—and failed—to contact Serah and then tried—and failed—to open the door. She didn’t like the way this was going. If she were paranoid, she’d think that something or someone was dead set against them completing their search and rescue mission. Good thing she was definitely not paranoid and definitely, completely mentally stable. However, the fact that no one wanted to talk about what level of force might be needed made her twitchy.

Perhaps tact wasn’t among Revelation’s skillset; she could’ve worded her question in a more polite manner, like Roy had. She merely wanted to be prepared for whoever—or whatever—was waiting for them on Threshold.

Nine times outta ten these black ops are kill or be killed, Revelation thought grimly. And the tenth time the enemy is just planning to kill you later. If you don’t go into it willing to kill (or maim or dismember—you do you), you ended up dead. And, more often than not, in order to defeat the monsters, you have to become a monster yourself.

But Revelation voiced none of this. Being berated twice was sufficient to teach her to keep her mouth shut. Wasn’t that what she signed on to do anyway? Keep quiet and complete the mission? On the other hand, wasn’t the reason behind her volunteering for this more important? It was difficult to definitively say given that she didn’t know the specifics of what she’d gotten herself into here. She’d been trained to survive, though, and that meant whatever “guidelines” were set forth, she’d do whatever she had to, to make it out of this alive. Even if that meant burning the small, fragile bridge she had with Akari. The assistance she was after didn’t exclusively lie with him so there was still a small chance she could find it elsewhere. Despite all this, Revelation was irritated to find she didn’t want to burn that bridge. She liked that bridge.

Lyra túl nin. Revelation audibly heaved an exasperated sigh, although it could easily have been mistaken as a response to the stuck-in-the-kitchen situation and not to her ill-timed inner turmoil.

“Someone should bring a gun.”

Revelation withdrew her star pistol, grudgingly set it to incapacitate, and awaited further orders. The weapon emitted a low hum as it powered up. With her other hand, she tapped the microchip implanted in her neck and activated her helmet. Her visor, blacked out on the outside to conceal her face, crawled up from where it’d retracted to along the outline of her helmet. Once in place, the inside sprang to life with her current surroundings and a dozen other specs detailing various information. The display left the majority of her view unobstructed, keeping the running lines of information to either side of her vision. Without so much as flinching, she initiated the self-mech interface.

In the hangar, nestled in the bowels of the ship, Flashpoint woke up.
Character(s): Revelation Namoor in Legacy: Chapter One

Gimme the yeet bois and free my soul, I wanna get tossed in a fuckin hole