A Silent Coda

Arkane

Re: A Silent Coda

Post by Arkane » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:28 pm

Green eyes creased with worry, as he stared at Anceline in the dim light of the cave. Almost immediately he could tell that something was...wrong. She was there with him, safe and sheltered from the storm, but at the same time, she was far away. Lochlan remained silent as he busied his hands with creating a small fire, the young man choosing to ignore the statement she had just made about the tower burning. After a moment, the familiar cracking of a reliable fire could be heard bouncing off the cave walls, its warmth most welcome.

He took a seat on the ground opposite Anceline, the wildling leaning against the stone wall. He wished he could strip off his clothes and dry them over the heat, but he didn’t think Anceline would be comfortable with that, so he tried to get comfortable in his damp clothing. He did take off his soaked boots though, his toes almost white from the cold. Soon, the sound of Axl’s soft snoring filled the cave, along with the crackling of wood. There was nothing to do now but wait for Owain and Laurent to come back. Hopefully with food, as Lochlan was still starving. All his attempts to hunt or fish had been thwarted by terrible weather and bizarre forest spirits.

“Don’t fret about it,” he replied to Anceline, shaking his head. They all had their own battles they were fighting and this was just part of hers. That would usually be the end of it, as Lochlan was never one to partake in casual conversation, much less with a distressed girl that looked like she needed some comforting. But for some reason, he found himself talking to fill the silence.

“Did ye...see something in the forest?,” he asked, glancing over at her now. “Something not normal?” His hand went to throw another log on the fire, his eyes on the flames now. “I did. I met a boy. He had intense eyes and sharp teeth, almost foxlike. Told me they were here for a reason. Went on about songs and rhythms...nonsense that I cannot make heads or tails of. Then he went and vanished, as if he never been there in the first place. Made me scared o’ the forest for the first time in me life.”

Again, he looked over at Anceline, to see if she was listening. “If something like that happened to ye...I wouldna think ye’re fibbing or anything. I’d believe ye,” he said, sincerely.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:26 am

Lochlan made fire, and the world didn’t burn. Somehow, the fire stayed where it was, banked. Anceline stayed where she was for a while, uncertain, but eventually the fact that she was soaked through and getting chilled won out over her worry about nebulous world-ending blazes and she moved closer, repositioning herself beside the fire, trying to take in what little warmth it could provide.

If she’d been home, she’d have taken off her wet things and changed into something dry, then let her clothes dry out. Here, she didn’t have anything to change into, and it wasn’t like there was anywhere to go to change anyway. She certainly wasn’t about to do it with Lochlan there. Anceline didn’t think she was modest, exactly - she’d shared a room with various combinations of her siblings for as long as she could remember - but that was different. Lochlan wasn’t family. Her mother would have been scandalized.

Not that Anceline’s mother would have a chance to say anything about it. Lochlan had started talking, and somehow it was good to hear another voice. It didn’t even matter too much what he was saying, it was just that there was someone that she could listen to who she knew was actually there. He told her about meeting a boy - or something like one - out in the forest. She should have been terrified by the idea, or at least scandalized - but somehow now it seemed comforting. Maybe she wasn’t the only one going crazy.

“No, I... I didn’t see anything in the woods,” she said, quietly. “Just in my head. I’d say ‘twasn’t real, but I think it might be.” She picked up a stick, poking at the fire - entirely unnecessary, as Lochlan had it going well enough, but stirring the logs about was something to do, a moment of familiarity. Anceline knew how to tend a hearth, and it was one small spot of knowledge in all the great unknown.

“The song’s not right, Lochlan. Ever been there when there’s singing, and most everyone’s on one tune, but there’s someone who’s singing a different song entirely, and it’s so loud you can’t hear the music that’s supposed to be there? Except it’s the whole world that’s singing the wrong song this time. And most people can’t even hear it, or they’re singing the wrong song, too. And I hear the song that says it’s the one that we’re supposed to be singing, but I don’t know... can the whole world really be wrong, Lochlan? Or is it just me? But I can’t get the song out of my mind... and I can’t help but feel how wrong this all is. I don’t understand any of it. None of it makes sense. I just... I know we have to go north. That’s the only thing I’m sure of.”

She paused, her voice lowering to a whisper before she added, hesitantly, “And I’m not even sure why I’m so sure of that.”

“You... You won’t tell anyone, will you, Lochlan?” Somehow, the idea of the others knowing about it worried her. Lochlan was different, somehow. He was the wild boy, the one who lived out in the woods and befriended wolves. She hadn’t worried about Axl the whole time they’d been in here - Anceline supposed that if the whole world burned, the wolves would burn with it. She didn’t know how to feel about that.

Wet, mostly. She would have expected a more sophisticated feeling, somehow, but it seemed that wet was taking precedence. Anceline didn’t think that was how it was supposed to be, but nothing was how it was supposed to be. The only thing she had to go on was what was.

And she had no idea how far that was going to get them.

BanefulMelody

Post by BanefulMelody » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:54 pm

"Nay," Owain protested, rubbing at his eyes, thanking God above that it was raining. If the other man noticed he'd been crying - well, there wouldn't really be anything he could do about it, would there? It would only make him feel even more miserable, make him feel even less like the man he was supposed to be.

"Yer gonna - yer gonna need help. Ye got yer own stuff ta grab, an' Ancie's. Yer gonna need help." He leveled his eyes at Laurent, gaze serious. "I'm gonna help."

Anything to keep his mind off this. Anything to make him feel useful.

If the town from afar had seemed a field of charred bones, up close, it looked almost like a graveyard. Between the wooden struts jutting into the sky, stones littered the earth, round and worn by careful masons' hands. They were scattered haphazardly across the roads, each one a litter of monuments to the buildings that once contained them. Bodies, too, lay about, sprawling on the ground as if whatever keeper that tended this chaotic cemetery had forsworn his job, leaving the dead beside their graves instead of taking the time to bury them beneath. Grim-faced, Owain marched onward.

The scent was something else entirely. Ash and soot were dominant, but beneath, charcoal, pork, and an bitter smell that reminded him of the time Mr. Hennefy's entire stock of wool caught fire. He held down the queasy roiling in his gut, and turned to Laurent.

"Yer place still up, then? Ye lived round the ol' tower, I know, an' -"

The tower was no more. A pile of rocks, with a cracked bell sitting atop it. Owain shivered. The widow had stood tall his entire life, yet there it was, dead - just like the lot.

"Ancie lived in tha inn. Got a bit a hope yer'all's stuff's good, with the rain an' such."

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:21 pm

A moment’s concerned flashed in Laurent’s frown as Owain put up a brave face. He couldn’t be okay, not after seeing his own — no, none of them could be okay could they? Laurent nodded, and he swung one of the empty rucksacks off his shoulder and offered it up for Owain to take. All things considered, it would probably be for the best that neither of them were alone in this town of all places.

“Aye, m’greatful t’have the company.” Laurent said, giving the man a clasp on the shoulder before heading into town.

He had been keeping watch one night when a house of the village’s edge had caught fire. A candle left to burn low in a house of dry wood and a passed out drunk asleep on straw. A tragedy in its own right, that had been. The smell was similar here, but the undercurrent was far more salty with that tinge of stale blood. Crows perched on the charred ribs of buildings, their black eyes following as the two men walked.

Bodies.

Was that the man who had reached for his boot as the four of them had escaped? Laurent could feel that lump forming again in his throat that burn of acid in his stomach. If he had just —

Laurence slowed as they reached the pile of rubble that had been his tower. The Widow would never sing again, battered as she was at the top of the pile. Laurent swallowed hard

“Aye, it uh-“ he shifted the weight on his shoulder, but it seemed to make no difference. “It’s there, still.”

Some piece of the tower had cut into the front of the building, and the door looked as if it had been battered.

“We should have, ah, some dried food in t’back room. Might be some tools, and clothes as well.” He blinked quickly, to stop his vision from wavering. “Let’s be quick, t’inn’ll prolly have more.”

Were his parents — did they at least get to be… together?
//… under her weight the floorboards gave, and she fell into the dark...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III

BanefulMelody

Post by BanefulMelody » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:35 am

Laurent passed through the door, and was greeted by the sound of the Widow chiming from a mere street away. Here, its mournful gongs rang loud enough to rattle glass - less annoyance, for a boy born so close, and more a sense of familiarity. That bell was his own. Well - not quite, such. Not even his family's, even, though they were tasked to guard it. No one really knew who owned the Widow, just as no one really knew from where the Widow had come. It certainly wasn't the work of the local blacksmith. No, the old, iron bell was much older, tarnished by decades in the sun, the only clue of its origin the tiny defect on the left-hand side from where a similar bell had been cut away from it. A twin-bell mold, yet only one bell remained -

And so she was called the Widow. Perhaps, somewhere out there, a Widower cried out for the love he too thought was long lost to time.

"Laurent, dear, you barely touched your porridge," his mother called from the counter, one hand idly tucking a stray hair from her ponytail back behind her ear. "You know you have to grow up strong if you want to be a watchman!"

It's what your father expects of you. Your mother, too. The entire town. It's what you were born for, isn't it? Ringing the Widow for first light, church, then setting sun - keeping an eye on the town for fires, and knowing the right way to chime an alarm. Keeping an eye on the horizon for - nobody. Nobody ever came into Coda, and nobody ever left. So what would he need to look out for?

"Your time hasn't passed, dear." She walked up behind him, one hand resting on his shoulder, the other brushing at his damp cheek. "I wish - I wish he could be here to see you, but he can't leave his post. He needs to wait for the riders to come."

Burning the village to the ground.

"They'll come again, little mouse - you best be ready then. There's a lot of responsibility on your shoulders. I know it's hard, but - I believe in you. We both do."

She knelt behind him, wrapping her arms around his waist, hugging him tight - as if afraid to let him go.

"You're braver than you think."

The inside of the house was ransacked, but there was no blood, no bodies. A table lay overturned, one leg missing, and white and black coals spread out in a crown from the hearth, the ghost of a fire that had spilled from its home but had the decency to not take the home down with it. A pot dangled above, thin layer of film coating the stew within.

" - be use?" Owain was calling, holding out a wrought-iron poker. "Coul' work for a weapon or summit. Wanna go light, though, don' we?"

He tossed it back on the ground, where it clattered across the tiles. His eye caught Laurent's.

"Y'aight?"

Arkane

Post by Arkane » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:36 am

Words eluded him. Lochlan didn’t know what to say to Anceline to make her feel better. He didn’t know what he could tell her that would bring a sense of normalcy to the revelation she had revealed. Haunting words of visions and the tale of a world singing the wrong song, disrupting the balance. Course, Lochlan didn’t understand any of it, and it was mighty hard not to think that Anceline hadn’t just snapped into a delirious craze, but he had seen the fox creature, didn’t he? The strange boy had also mentioned songs and rhythms. If Anceline was experiencing such odd events, perhaps he wasn’t far from snapping into a delirious craze as well.

“No,” he finally replied, glancing over at her. “I’ll naught say a word.” It wasn’t his story to tell. His eyes fell onto the fire once more, the young man getting lost in the dancing flames. Anceline had mentioned that they needed to go North. She had tried to go in that direction during the storm, Lochlan having to persuade her otherwise. Perhaps they should go North. There was certainly nothing holding them here...not anymore.

“Let’s go North, then,” he said, eyes never leaving the flames. “If we ‘ave to choose a direction to go, let’s go North. We’ll just ‘ave to convince our fearless leader,” he concluded with a faint grin, speaking of the farmboy. “‘Sides, there’s nothing for us ‘ere, not no more.”

With a sigh, Lochlan wrapped his arms around his torso in an attempt to conserve warmth, and to soothe the hunger pains in his stomach. He closed his tired eyes, leaning his head against the cool stone of the cave.

“Try to get some rest. Might be the only chance we get.”