[OOC] Superstition

Ghostly

[OOC] Superstition

Post by Ghostly » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:12 am

Magic has returned to Earth...

Nobody has any explanation for how it happened, or even why. It began with a fireball that seemed to wrap itself around the earth, lighting up the sky. They called it The Awakening, and it had yet to be fully understood or explained, even by the world's brightest minds. After the light had passed, people discovered that they could do things once thought the realm of fantasy. But with the arrival of magic, creatures never-before-seen by mankind emerged from the shadows. From vampires and werewolves, to ghosts and demons. Most of them were just misunderstood and confused, posing little threat to mankind. Slowly, the world adapted to the shift in logic and what we called science.

With a few million supernatural beings running around on Earth, the Department of Extramundane Analysis and Defense was formed to investigate supernatural disturbances and attacks. To quote Hellboy; "When things go bump in the night, we bump back." D.E.A.D is not a Human-only organization, they utilize non-human agents to keep the peace on both the Mortal plane and world of the supernatural.

Currently, D.E.A.D has their eyes set on watchinf over New Heaven, a hotspot of supernatural crime and strange activity. They've reached out and employed a variety of races for Agent positions. Because everyone knows, the best way to fight a fire, is with fire.

------------------------------------------

Welcome to Superstition, a RP with mixed elements from many of my favorite universes, and some of my own ideas. Just a quick note, while I do encourage creativity and freedom in my roleplaying, this will be driven by plot, and large world changing events will only be orchestrated by myself, or someone I have instructed to progress for me.

Take a look at these Character Classes, and ask any question as they arise.

Classes

Psychic

Mind-readers, spoon-benders. It's easy to tell the cranks from the real McCoy's these days, but most psychics still use their abilities to make a name in show business. However, some of the more powerful psychics can be useful in a fight, or for interrogation purposes.

However, using psychic abilities can cause stress on the mind, even for the the most careful Psychics, the danger of 'burning out' is always a concern. Psychics live fast, and usually die young.

Elf

While they aren't really elves, they sure do look like it. When magic returned, many people were changed. Their skin turned pale, ears perked up, and eyes began to glow. They are powerful magic users, and can master almost any form to it's fullest potential. All Elves have Elven parents, or were present on The Awakening.

They are immortal, and are resilient to most forms of magic, however, they are weak towards demonic presences. They can be killed by a Reaper's Blade. Elves can use any form of magic.

Reaper

Death is neither evil or benign. Death is Death, there is no way to out run him. Nowadays, with so many Immortals and creatures that can cheat Death, the Grim Reaper divided his power and bestowed it on souls that deserve another chance at life. These new Reapers are highly militarized, and have ditched the black robes for kevlar and machine guns.

As a Reaper, you are armed with a Reaper's Blade, a personal blade that can kill almost anything, as long as you strike the heart. They are able to communicate with the dead, and can transfer life from a living thing to something dead, although, what they give life to won't be the same as it was while it was alive. Reaper's can not use magic.

Werewolves

Many werewolves are loners, drifter. Just trying to avoid conflict, because once you get them angry, you'll wish you hadn't. No one is really sure how Werewolves came about, as it appears to be a disease, and not a gift or ability. All we do know is that once you're bitten, you will undergo a transformation into your wolf-form whenever you are under direct Full-Moon light, or angry.

Their weakness is their anger, once they have transformed, it's hard for them to control themselves. They can be harmed by silver, or Holy Weapons. Werewolves can not use magic.

Cyborg

While many people were not affected by The Awakening, technology was kicked ahead by new forms of energy and the need for people to have the means to defend themselves against supernatural creatures. While firearms and blades were reinvented to fight monsters, people wanted to have the power that the creatures had, even if it meant replacing parts of themselves to do so.

Of course, prosthetics are also used for those who lose a limb, and require two arms to work. These cybernetics can be modified to give the user abilities, such as Pyrokinesis or flight. Many of these cybernetics are powered by magic, boosting their power and efficiency.

Elemental

Elementals are mages who focus on one branch or point of Magic. It could be Pyrokinesis, or Necromancy for example. The point is, why decent at a bunch of stuff when you could be a master at one thing?

Elementals, next to Druids, are the most connected to nature, as they draw from what is set in science. The biggest drawback, is that you can only control one method of magic, and without it, you're just another Human.

Alchemists

Once called Scientists. Alchemists use science and combine it with magic. They can turn anything into anything, well, almost. There are rules to Alchemy, such as value and chemical compounds. However these rules are only in place if you want to keep what you've made Alchemists can create weapons or tools out of thin air, however, they will not last for very long, as they are energy projections.

Usually, Alchemists will carry a lot staff made from various elements, so they are always close to their source of power.

Vessel

Vessel are the Earthly bodies of beings of higher power. For millennia, angels used Vessels to communicate with humanity. Every god has one specific Vessel at a time, and cannot enter another, unless it's original Vessel is destroyed or impure. Once a being has entered a vessel, they will either completely control that person, which is dangerous, due to the power and energy they can carry, and may cause their Vessel to disintegrate. The alternative is to exist inside the body, and giving the Human only part of their power.

While this may seem like a great way to get super-powers, after the Celestial being is gone from the Vessel, they usually die or go into a coma until the being returns.

Vampire

Creatures of legend. The Vampire is more than a romantic blood-sucker that sparkles in the sun, in reality, Vampires are very powerful, with heightened senses and reflexes, however, they require blood to stay strong. Most vampires take to cruising Blood Bars, where they serve a multitude of animal blood cocktails and offer refuge from the sunlight.

While in direct sunlight, Vampires will feel their abilities weaken. While being in the sun for short periods won't cause any permanent damage, if they stay out too long, they will begin to burn. Most Vampires avoid being burned alive by only coming out at night, or covering every inch of their skin with clothing when in the light.

Demon

Demons, the trademark Hell-spawn. While most Demons are still in Hell, the less powerful ones can take human form on Earth. These Demons exchange service to S.I.N for freedom to roam. Larger, more powerful demons are not permitted on Earth.

While in their human form, they have increased strength and agility, and Demonic magic, which can differ, depending on which sin they represent. For example, Demons of Lust can make people follow their every command, or Demons of Sloth can make their enemies extremely tired and lazy. However, there are restrictions to these abilities, and usually don't work on other supernatural beings.

Angel

In the aftermath of The Awakening, a group of winged-beings were found in Israel, wandering along the shoreline. None of them could remember how they arrived, only that they were sent to watch over humanity. Their greatest ability is flight, being able to lift themselves effortlessly off the ground.

There are also Fallen Angels, who have given into sin, and are identified by their black wings and dark aura. Fallen Angels have been engaged in a cold war with the Pure Angels, after being threatened by D.E.A.D to 'keep their war off our planet'. However, they still wage war in the darkness, trying to eradicate or convert one another.

Druid

Rather than change and warp what is around them, Druids use their magic to communicate and control the forces of nature. They are seen as hippies and tree-huggers, but their magic is safe and natural.

Druids need to be connected to the environment, and often decorate their living spaces with plants or even jars of dirt. They can command the forces of nature, preforming acts such as entangling foes in vines, or creating a bulletproof shield from roots.

Human

Hold it! Before you decide to scroll past this, take a second and think about it. Human being have been on Earth far longer than any other race, their power comes from their numbers. The biggest reason an army of monsters hasn't tried to over throw humanity, is their shear number.

Just because you're a regular human, doesn't mean you aren't badass! To keep up with all the crazy ass stuff going on around you, you're probably up to the knees in magic bullets and high-caliber guns. With the reintroduction of magic to the mortal world, most weapons have been outfitted to fight monsters, or at least punch a big enough hole in them to keep them on the ground. John Constantine never needed superpowers, neither do you.

Dragon

In the days of old, slaying a dragon was a sign of courage, and many young knights ventured to kill the mighty beasts. Of course, many died, but the sheer number of humans over dragons, and eventually they were hunted to extinction. But Dragons were hard to kill, and most of the time magical weaponry, which did not actually kill the beast, but trap it's soul in a pocket dimension, while their body would die in the real world.

When magic returned, these souls were released, and searched for their bodies, only to find that they had were nothing but dust. Rather than float around for eternity, they found human bodies to inhabit. Once they took control of a human, they received some of their previous power. Powers like the ability to breath fire, and sprout scaled wings on command.

Returned

Everything has a spirit. From Humans to Demons, a soul is what makes you you. So what happens when a person dies? Their spirit either goes up, or down. But sometimes, if their will is strong enough, something that should have knocked their lights out, only kills their body, leaving them in a cold shell.

So, what's the good news? Well, you no longer feel pain or hunger. Nice, huh? He trade off, you don't feel many other pleasures either. Booze doesn't effect you, and you might end up biting off your tongue. You are pretty tough now, but a hit to the head, or a 'Magic Bullet' and you're dead for good.

Half-Lifer

Have you ever had a call so close, you had to call it impossible? Ten car pileup, a sixteen year old is sandwiched between the front seat and the hood, she dies on impact. Three days later, the nearby morgue is missing a body.

Resurrection is a risky buisness, but when it's done properly, you can come back as more than a man. These people are called Half-Lifers, half-dead, half-alive. They left part of their soul behind, and as a result, can see souls. They can see the darkness in someone's heart, or even their true form. The downside is, they are still human, and there is no guarantee they'll come back a second time.

Create Your Own

I've given you plenty of choices, but of you've had one helluva idea, and you want to go through with it, this is your chance.

Just remember, it has to original, or I won't take it. Don't use this as way to make an overpowered character, it's fine to have a powerful character, but just like the classes above, they all have weaknesses or a drawback. Also, on a quick note, please no hybrids. I don't care about how long your backstory is, about the forbidden love of a Reaper and Dragon, spawning some abomination of a child. If it's two things mixed together, I'm not taking it.
Last edited by Ghostly on Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

The only me is me. Are you sure the only you is you?

Ghostly

Re: [REQ] Superstition

Post by Ghostly » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:13 am

Rules and Guidelines

1. I am the Dungeon Master, my word is final.
2. If I kick you out, you may only have one chance to come back.
3. Obey Forum Rules.
4. Combat will be decided by me, unless you are killing mindless hordes of enemies.
5. Please don't ruin the RP with romance. Character interaction is fine, and if two characters have chemistry, that's fine. But please don't run off and get sidetracked.
6. Creativity and free-roam is encouraged, but don't go too far.
7. No world changing events, except by me.
8. Issues will be resolved by me.
9. Be patient, I have an active life, and RPing is only a hobby.
10. Please insert "My Enochian is a bit rusty" into your CS, or I won't accept it.
11. No hybrids.
These rules are liable to change.

The only me is me. Are you sure the only you is you?