What Lurks in the Dark (req) (FULL)

With a suggested standard of two paragraphs or more and dedicated lore threads, this is for the more verbose roleplayer. (10+ sentences per post, on average.)
Drake

What Lurks in the Dark (req) (FULL)

Post by Drake » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:59 pm

What are we afraid of? Death, the sea, the vastness of the universe, the sheer lack of control we have when it comes to the future. In a way, humanity's greatest fear is all that shrouded by the mystifying veil of utter darkness, all of which is alien to us, the unbeknownst lurking in the dark, conscient of what it sees, but nonexistent to our eyes. You know that. You, in a suspended animation, cast adrift the insane sanity of the seas of the mind. You can sense it too, always present, caressing the threads of your consciousness not yet overtaken by the sleep. In your dreams, you can see it. You don't know how, you can't even tell why as the further you delve into this claustrophobic mess of gelid stone and humid air, the more you feel like pushing forward, overcoming this challenge. Facing the unknown and proving to yourself there is nothing to fear. For it calls to you, an ever-evanescent whisper, carried on the softness of a breeze gently brushing your hair. Yet all you see is darkness turning darker. There is no inch of material before your eyes that can be perceived, the ominous wind, so softly entrancing, gradually growing stronger, more present. You come to the realization, you are miles and miles underneath the earth, and the sheer pressure of those ceaselessly tightening corridors comes crushing down almost as if your lungs can no longer take air into them.

You wake up. Beads of sweat trickle down your forehead, and even if the chillest wind buffeted outside, you feel uncontrollable warmth, not soothing in the least, but unnatural, disquieting. There is only silence inside the room, the heavy panting occasionally breaking through to ascertain you: you are still alive. Your chest feels compressed, as if walls constantly limited your very movements. Why? You stop for a moment, and attempt to recollect those thoughts, those images... Which images? You can no longer even remember it anymore. An omen? A nightmare? How could you know? The thoughts of it terrify you. Seconds go by, your breathing becomes steady, almost soundless. Minutes go by, your body trembles no longer. Then it abruptly pops in your mind. A faint, bizarre memory.

You can see a cave. It calls out to you. You have no idea how you know this cave, it's tiny opening seemingly made to fit you and specifically you. You have no idea how you know exactly where to find this place. It's nearby, it's always nearby. Your heart is overtaken by a blind sense of adventure, the incredible desire of a once-in-a-lifetime occurrence. Thus you set out to find this place. With yourself, you bring your belongings, whatever you feel necessary to venture into the abyss that is the unknown. Maybe overprepared, maybe underprepared, you do not know. You cannot know. You step into the cave, it's entrance exactly as you pictured, even days later, even if you had never set foot in a cave before. Every second it grows tighter, every minute you feel the peer pressure of the earth swallowing you whole and burying you amidst it's vastness. How long has it been? Hours? Days? You don't know. The sun is no longer in sight, the watch seems frozen in place, and you are just there. Alive. Pressing forward. You cannot go back, not now. You feel no hunger, you feel no exhaustion, you only feel the keen-edged points of the stone scraping against your clothing, and the weight of your gear. You must move forward.

And move forward you do.

Until the tight tunnel opens wide and you stumble across. Around you, figures emerge. You don't understand how, but you just know. They are the same as you. You look back, there is nothing but stone, solid and with no openings. There is no escape but what's beyond. Welcome...

Rules:
  • Standard Forum rules still apply.
  • This will be an adventure RPG in which the characters will explore and try to escape the Underdark (yes, the same as D&D but with tweaks) and as such, I'd like to keep this small and controlled. So 6 people at most.
  • This is a timeless concept, so it means you can make a character from any time period of Earth.
  • Keep in mind this is a pretty brutal setting, so keeping in mind things such as food consumption will be very important. I don't mean to make this a bother, but I want it to be challenging. If you no longer want to partake, please feel free to leave, just warn me beforehand so we can set on an exit (most likely death) to the character and open up slots for new people.
  • This is a fantasy setting, so feel free to have some supernatural skills. Just keep in mind that nothing too absurd, keep it contained to actually be challenged by the creatures and such. It's the same if you decide to make a futuristic character, please keep in mind that overpowered tech and abilities are not the purpose of this RPG.
  • This is more of a request than a rule, but don't feel threatened to give me criticism. I want this to be fun for everyone, so if it's not, maybe I really have to stop and reconsider some things. Constructive criticism is always welcome!
Last edited by Drake on Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drake was feeling just fine again today.

Ash
Bronze

Re: What Lurks in the Dark (req)

Post by Ash » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:53 am

I am interested! It sounds like fun!

Lord of Nothing

Post by Lord of Nothing » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:29 pm

Ash wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:53 am
Oh really? Neat. I'll be sure to let the guy who made this know.
Sandbox

Lethe, The Once Reaper
Voracious, The Vampire Vagabond
Vas, The Shadow Man
Amaranth, The Ultimate Life-Form
Jackal, The Devil's Dog

Concepts

Varcolac, The Cursed Cartel
Nosferatu, The Damned Descendants of the Darkblood

List of all characters across every sub-forum: Here!

Drake

Post by Drake » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:05 pm

Ash wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:53 am
Hello, I am "the guy who made this" lol

You're in luck, we have exactly five people, and that means you are our sixth and last member if you really decide to partake!

Do you have Discord? We have a chat for it and it'd be considerably easier to answer to any questions there! But I can answer here too, if you don't.

Ash
Bronze

Post by Ash » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:52 am

I have discord, and I will love to partake in this

AliceFrost

Post by AliceFrost » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:29 pm

Just curious if this is still looking for people to partake or if its full or not. Seems really interesting and all, so just curious.

Lord of Nothing

Post by Lord of Nothing » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:18 pm

AliceFrost wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:29 pm
Just curious if this is still looking for people to partake or if its full or not. Seems really interesting and all, so just curious.
Nah. I spoke to the guy and we are full at the moment. Sorry!
Sandbox

Lethe, The Once Reaper
Voracious, The Vampire Vagabond
Vas, The Shadow Man
Amaranth, The Ultimate Life-Form
Jackal, The Devil's Dog

Concepts

Varcolac, The Cursed Cartel
Nosferatu, The Damned Descendants of the Darkblood

List of all characters across every sub-forum: Here!

Drake

Post by Drake » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:15 pm

AliceFrost wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:29 pm
'Tis the guy and unfortunately we are full. I can, however, add you to the "if someone dies, you enter" line :)

AliceFrost

Re: What Lurks in the Dark (req) (FULL)

Post by AliceFrost » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:53 pm

Alright! I'm not gonna sit here and root for death, I swear.

Drake

Re: What Lurks in the Dark (req) (FULL)

Post by Drake » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:09 pm

AliceFrost wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:53 pm
Alright! I'm not gonna sit here and root for death, I swear.
As the one leading them through the adventure, I'll totally not blame you for rooting for death. I definitely encourage it. Please do send me ideas on how to kill them!