[REQ] Oculus

With a suggested standard of two paragraphs or more and dedicated lore threads, this is for the more verbose roleplayer. (10+ sentences per post, on average.)
Annasiel
Administrator

[REQ] Oculus

Post by Annasiel » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:51 am

16:00 08-22-202X

A siren screamed through the woods like the wail of an animal trapped dying in the brush. Shrill as it was, it did little to mask the shouts of the soldiers, and even less to hide the brief rapport of gunshots. This didn't matter, of course -- the base was miles from the nearest town, miles from anyone who could hear the sound who wasn't need-to-know, detained, or...

Expendable.

Another sharp gunshot. Another target, this one fatal, body wrapped in black tarp and carried away to a place it would never be found. The captain watched from afar, fingers pressed tight against the bridge of his nose. Thirteen found, so far, and four still missing. The longer this went on, the less of a chance they'd have of locating the missing subjects, and the more of a chance the captain would lose his rank, or in a worst case scenario, go the same way as the bodies. Neutralized, wrapped in black, and disappeared from any records.

Brighton? Update?"

The voice was heralded by a crackle of static from his radio. The captain sighed, pressed a button on his lapel, and raised the microphone up to his lips. He'd been dreading this call.

"We managed to snag thirteen of the subjects. Seven resisted and merited lethal force," the man replied. There was a moment of silence from the other end.

"Lethal force should be your first option, Brighton. We can always find more subjects," it finally said. "If you need to kill them all to stop a single one from getting out, then do it. The dangers of Oculus getting into the wrong hands, let alone the dangers of any one of those subjects going public, far outweigh any costs. Any costs at all."

It was something Brighton had already heard twice before, and even the first time, it had been irksome. He well knew the risks. He'd lost far too many men, seen far too many terrible things happen when Oculus took root. The warning was common sense. The captain didn't mention any of this, not here, he was in enough trouble already. Better to bow his head and accede.

"Of course, sir," Brighton said. "I'll tell the men."

--

At first waking, your day seems normal. You feel the way you always do, when you first wake up: Maybe well rested and chipper, maybe a bit groggy, maybe like death itself took a shit in your mouth and ran away cackling. We're all different, and how we act in the morning is perhaps one of the biggest proofs of this. The first time you look in a mirror, though, normalcy begins to fade. Your eyes look strange. The actual strangeness vary, from person to person - see? We're all different - but the result is the same. Something about your eyes is noticeably off in a way that looks unnatural. Strange-shaped pupils, unusual colors, lines, or even a lack of any color at all. Soon, though, your strange new look will be of less concern, because of one little fact about Oculus.

Seeing your stigmata for the first time activates them.

A fiery pain fills your body, like liquid metal coursing through your veins. Your skin tingles, your hairs stand on end, and your muscles clench and spasm. And your eyes? Well, they just get stranger. Different mornings, different stigmata, and different skills that come out of them, but one thing in common. They're all tied to vision.

Take me, for example. Anything I look at I can set on fire. Doesn't matter what it is, doesn't matter what its made from. If I can see it, it can burn. The government doesn't like this sort of thing going around. They like that it exists, cause if it exists, they can exploit it, but if it's public, other people can exploit it too. Use it against them. Do acts of terror, violent crimes, or worst of all, upset the delicate balance of power between the people up top and the people down low.

You don't have a lot of time, once your skill starts. They've got ways to find you.

Better start running.
I think I am a changeling
I was born with little claws instead of nails
and I was pale and barely breathing

I broke the mirror because the me who wasn’t me inside
was shaking, she was seething, she was screaming
-PhemieC

Annasiel
Administrator

Re: [REQ] Oculus

Post by Annasiel » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:58 am

Basic Info

Name:

Appearance

[Insert Pic]

Description:

Oculus

Stigmata: (Something strange about the way your eyes look. Usually belies your skill.)

Skill: (Something related to vision. Line of sight, different ways of perceiving the world, and eye contact dependent powers are some examples. Keep it simple - one effect.)

Backstory

(No need to go too crazy with this, just want a basic idea of who you are and where you're from.)

-PhemieC

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:39 pm

Basic Info

Name: Rachel Schinder

Appearance

Description: Physically fit, of average height, with brown shoulder-length hair and pale blue eyes that unfortunately make her stigmata very obvious.

Oculus

Stigmata: The pupil of her eye shifts, moving around the iris like a blob in a lava lamp

Skill: Empathy - she can feel the emotions of those she can see, or project emotions onto people with whom she is making direct eye contact.

Backstory

Rachel grew up in an upper-middle class neighborhood, but never was the outstanding student that her parents wanted her to be. Her older brother is a doctor, and her younger brother is in med school to become a doctor, and Rachel works for a private security firm. It's a bit of a point of contention with her family, because surely if she had just applied herself she could have gotten into med school or at the very least a real university instead of community college.

Rachel is currently employed at a recording studio, though not one of the big names. Mostly she works nights, making sure the building stays secure and no one tries to break in and steal expensive equipment. It's not the job her parents want her to have, but it's a decent enough job for her to have her own apartment and her own life.

She was working at her current position for about two years when it happened.

Matvey

Post by Matvey » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:52 pm

Basic Info

Name: John Pietrzykowski

Appearance

Description:
John can be identified by his high, gaunt cheeks; sharp chin, and cutting jawline. His eyes take the form of two narrow ovals, brown in colour, that are slightly snake-like. He stands a tad above the average height, sporting a slim, athletic figure. John has taken a liking to the long, messy hair he grew over his time in Africa; it hangs, dishevelled, parted from the middle to the sides of his face.

Oculus

Stigmata:

John's right eye is severely discoloured, its matte gray tone contrasting starkly with the left. Looking closely, a strange pattern can be identified: seemingly floating behind the sclera, a sequence of vague targeting lines, somewhat resembling a scope's reticle. The pupil adjusts its shape much more rapidly, and to a far greater extent than a normal eye. When focusing intently on a target, John's right pupil can become almost invisibly small.

Skill: Extreme visual acuity and hand-eye coordination. John can throw an object, or shoot with a gun, with far greater accuracy than should be humanly possible.

Backstory

Got up one day with a weird-lookin' eye. Figured, shit, one of those fucked up African diseases finally got me. I'd been sick before, mostly with the shits, but this was something else. First day, it was like I'd woken up; like I'd been blind before. I could see everything. If you'd have asked me, I coulda told you the colour of the spots on a lizard half a mile away. Could have counted every single spot on its back. Wasn't long after, I got real sick: shaking, feverish, splitting headaches, and went near-blind in my freaky eye. I couldn't focus on anything, and it hurt like a bitch to look out of it -- covered it with my hand to stop from going insane. Doc's got no idea what it is, so they're sending me back home.

John was born in Lexington, Kentucky. His father worked as a carpenter, and suffered from intense alcoholism. John's mother did not work, and spent most of her time sitting on the porch, smoking cigarettes. John studied well, dreaming of studying law at college. Unfortunately, he could not afford to attend. Having heard of the Army's GI Bill and college credit scheme, he resolved to sign up. John displayed a talent for aerobic endurance, befitting of his naturally wiry frame, and received a waiver to enter green beret selection. Fuelled by a fed-up attitude, he completed the prerequisite courses, eventually passing to qualification at Fort Bragg. Aged twenty-one, he graduated. John's first deployment was to Africa, where he had been training and assisting Cameroonian forces to deal with local insurgents. His mission has been cut short by the manifestation of his oculus.
Last edited by Matvey on Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snowskeeper

Post by Snowskeeper » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:18 pm

WIP, probably

Basic Info

Name: Transient.

Appearance

Description: Depends on the body they've got. As of story start, they're in a heavy-set, clumsy-looking soldier's body, decked out in some sort of military kit, complete with a helmet. Any sort of radio or electronic kit is conspicuously absent.

Oculus

Stigmata: Although close examination of Transient's eyes will show that they’re physically normal, at a glance they seem concave, rather than convex; they seem to curve into the pupil, as if drawing anyone they make eye contact with into a tunnel. The colour of the iris is also part of the Stigmata.

Skill: Transient can swap bodies with anyone they make eye contact with. Their eyes will also swap, meaning they can use this as many times as they like, but they can't disable or steal the powers of other Oculi. Both their body and the body of the person they're swapping to will continue to act as if the swap had not occurred for roughly five seconds afterwards.

Backstory

Living out of my car wasn't the worst part of my life, but I say that knowing what came after. It was cold, cramped, tedious and terrifying; couldn't get many jobs without an address; most of the money I did make went towards gas and some food for my little electric hot plate. I had a little bed set up in the back seat; the quilt was from the bed I'd slept in for most of my life. Had an astronaut and a field of stars on it.

The car's probably in a ditch somewhere, now, if it's not in a scrapyard. I don't know; I've left more important things behind since. But when I'm feeling nostalgic, it's that car I think back to, not myself. My old face is fog on a mirror; my old body is a phantom itch. Closest thing I come to remembering it is remembering the shock of the rifle in my hands. One of the hunting teams cornered me, but they must’ve been new; somebody had a wardrobe malfunction mid-showdown. He panicked; started to pull the trigger just as we made eye contact. Must've been a weird last moment.

That kind of thing, the kick and the mirror; that's why I don't do names anymore. Names are what you use to talk about bodies. If you want to talk about the walker, you can call it the transient.

Wint
Member+

Post by Wint » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:38 pm

Basic Info

Name: Isaiah Gersh

Appearance

Description: Isaiah is visibly scrawny, however he does pack a decent punch and possesses a solid grip. His short black hair is stylized into a caesar cut built up to a delicate, faux hawk-esque top. His grey-blue eyes complement his stigmata, be it a positive quality or negative one.

Oculus

Stigmata: Lines. Little lines that go down; slowly, but surely down. Erratic lines. They like to go and stop and stop and go, and sometimes they like to end up in different order. But they always reset, those little lines.
Little lines that pass across the iris, pass and go but always return. Little lines that struggle to focus, but focus quite well when the Oculus is active. Little lines that stop and watch, observe and wait. So long as he doesn't blink, the little lines can rest.

Isaiah's stigmata manifests itself in buffering lines across his iris, perpetually moving downward apart from some occasions. When Isaiah activates his Oculus, the buffering lines pause, seeming less intense but still very visible.

Skill: Isaiah can pause objects in place. In their last shape, in their last point in space, whatever Isaiah looks at will remain frozen in stasis until eye contact is broken.

Backstory

Isaiah never knew why he was born. Cowbell
His first memory was of his dad, as all the rest were, his coward of a Cowbell mom leaving as soon as he was born.
Isaiah would spend hours in his Cowbell dad's arms as he told him stories, blowing his mind with his visions and enriching his very soul with the man's passion for his work and compassion for those who were meant to live in those homes.

Puberty came. That's the excuse Isaiah Cowbell had thought up for why he became so distant.
Talking less, sleeping more, or just staying in his room after finishing his homework, when he did.

After graduating and going to uni it only became worse. Cowbell The little Isaiah would see of his dad on the weekends when he would drop by home and eat together. Sometimes Cowbell it was every other week.
Rest of the time Isaiah was forced to be cornered with his own thoughts and a roommate that couldn't care less Cowbell forcing him to keep his emotions to himself. Cowbell

Didn't help that Isaiah compared his contributions to his father's, a college student's to a foreman's.
Cowbell
This is what lead Isaiah to his life now; getting acceptable grades and staying in his room for most of the time, or maybe a quiet walk around the complex with his headphones in. Cowbell

Last edited by Wint on Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:47 pm, edited 6 times in total.
“sorry i cant hear you over the sound of me running headfirst into a concrete wall” - Shaw

“Fuck your cloud of blueberry lies” - Fang

“I had a chungus tea once. It was a chunky boi. I chucked my change at Charles who chucked up chunks of chungus chai.” - Ser

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:07 am

Basic Info

Name: Alex Khrushchev

Appearance

Description: Tall and fair-skinned, with golden-blonde hair. He's rarely seen without a smile and his worn trench coat, both genuine on the surface, but good for concealing things deeper down. He walks with a barely noticeable limp favoring his right leg, and is missing three toes on his left foot. Is utterly incapable of growing anything more than a little stubble, though he doesn't let this phase him, and even jokes about it from time to time.

Oculus

Stigmata:

His eyes flicker a bright yellow, languorously shifting when he's relaxed, growing faster and faster the more riled up he becomes. The light from them is enough for him to read in the dark, though their uses as a light source are limited.

Skill: Anything Alex looks at, he can set on fire, with the exception of living things. Easily combustible materials will catch fire on their own from being in contact with his fire, but things that are more flame retardant will only burn as long as he makes eye contact. Once the fire spreads, it is outside of his control.

Backstory

(No need to go too crazy with this, just want a basic idea of who you are and where you're from.)

Basic Info

Name: Evelyn Turner

Appearance

Description:

Oculus

Stigmata: A pale, milky mask covers Evelyn's eyes. This effect is highly reflective, even seeming to flash or glimmer in certain lighting, though the things it reflects are matte, not crisp. This stigmata has the unfortunate side-effect of rendering Evelyn nearly blind. She is still able to perfectly make out changes in lighting and colors, but shapes are drastically blurred, blending together in a quickly moving mess. She's come to rely on Alex for day to day things.

Skill: Evelyn is able to suppress the Oculi of any individual she looks directly at, either temporarily or permanently. She needs to know she's looking at an Oculus user in order to suppress their skill, making her blindness a strong hurdle in properly using her ability. Suppressed individuals lose their stigmata. She's implied suppression isn't proper application of her skill, but is reticent to share the full details.

Backstory

-PhemieC

Azra

Post by Azra » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:08 pm

Name:
Cibil Emit
Appearance
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (169.73 KiB) Viewed 422 times
Description:
A auburn haired and previously brown eyed girl standing at roughly five and a half feet tall. Often preferring clothes fit for hiking and outdoors activities. While by no means an athlete her physical stature does suggest at least a more athletic life style. Though at times she does look tired do to late nights. She usually comes off as having a question on the mind though lately she's been reluctant to ask.

Oculus
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (453.39 KiB) Viewed 422 times
Stigmata:
Appears to look like a black and violet hued clock. When using her abilities the hands seem to move in relation to use.
Skill:
Cibil is capable of seeing the past of any item in sight and vaguely the future of the item in relation to herself. Through this she often can react a bit faster to things as well as obtain a bit more information.

Backstory
Cibil grew up wanting to be a private investigator, while enjoying activities such as shooting archery and rock climbing investigation was her passion. A few friendships and the sort having been cut short do to prying a bit to much. Not to long ago prior to getting ready for college classes though she could see more. Was a bit disorienting like looking at a dozen monitors at once. Passionately she tried to head off to being a investigator all the sooner, and it was a bit to suspicious leading to an arrest.

Mach2

Post by Mach2 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:25 am

Basic Info

Name: Kitty Parr

Appearance
Description: When most people describe Kitty, the first word used would likely be 'cute'. She stands five feet and two inches tall, but usually boosts this up to five foot four with a small pair of heels. She has an extensive collection, numerous pairs of shoes to coordinate with her outfits. Her attire consists of skirts, dresses, and blouses. Ensembles pulled straight from the feeds of a young fashion bloggers.

Kitty values first impressions. As a barista, her day is filled with dozens of the briefest interactions. It's worth taking the extra thirty minutes in the morning to do her hair (soft curls when she wears it down, braids and decorative accessories when she puts it up) and makeup (simple and clean - concealer, mascara, and a perky winged eyeliner) if it means she's more likely to make a positive impression. And, judging by the tips she brings in, it makes a difference.

But the 'cute' descriptor extends past her appearance. The near-permanent smile on Kitty's face is genuine, and she finds joy and humour in even the smallest happenings throughout her day. Her diminutive appearance makes people approach her, while her outgoing personality and friendliness and keep conversations going.
Oculus
Stigmata:
In direct opposition to her bubbly personality, Kitty's stigmata has rendered her eyes pitch black. Both iris and sclera are a shade so dark that the boundary of her pupil is indiscernible.

Needless to say, she's come to find her reflection a bit unsettling.

Skill:
The abilities granted by the Stigmata relate to vision - and Kitty's skill is to deprive others of theirs. She can render anyone within her vicinity temporarily blind. Eye contact is not required, but the effects are limited to one person at a time.

Backstory
Kitty was born and raised in the small town of Hastings, Nebraska. She's not the type to say she 'hates' things, but...well, Hastings came close. One shopping mall. One high school. World-renowned as 'the town where Kool-Aid was invented', and not much else.

She spent most of high school dreaming of getting out of that town, and two months after graduating, she did. Kitty was never an academic. When all of her college applications were rejected, she instead used her savings for a one-way train ticket to <insert city name here>. Her parents weren't thrilled, but supported her on the condition that she always return home for the holidays.

Kitty took to the city like a fish to water. She found a job within the span of a few weeks; Barista at a specialty coffee shop. At first, her hours were barely enough to cover rent - never mind additional purchases. But the customers liked her, and as she became more experienced, her hours increased. She decorated her apartment, buying potted plants for the windowsill and paintings to brighten up the walls.

Four years later, and it's impossible not to have a bright outlook on life. She still works at the same coffee shop, though she's now been promoted to shift manager. She's moved apartments, to one with a balcony where she drinks her coffee in the morning, amidst an extensive collection of houseplants. Most importantly, she's made friends. A tight-knit inner circle, who she grabs brunch with on the weekend, and a lengthy contact list comprising her outer circle, who she'll sneak free coffee to without hesitation.

Life is good.

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:12 am

Who's still not ready to begin?