[Request] Masked

If you're willing to consistently post a paragraph and want more depth than casual, try this on for size. (5-10 sentences per post, on average.)
Stitches
Token Witch

[Request] Masked

Post by Stitches » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:24 am

After the abduction of her partner, the telepathic Witch, aggressive and determined Pyro calls for help in order to take down the local, rising gang of villains who has abducted her. Choose a side and fight for the city, or bring it crashing to the ground.

Chicago, Outskirts, July 27th.

It was evening, cool, and as always, windy. The breeze whistled through the broken windows of the abandoned warehouse that stood roughly a mile past the city limits. It's peeling paint and graffiti covered walls stood proud despite disrepair. This building had no intentions of going anywhere.

That was why Sulfer and his gang used it as a base, of course. Isolated, strong, and defendable. The skylights had long since been boarded over, and there only stood two large doors.  Impossible to enter any other way. This was the place where they did the worst of their crimes, where they performed the experiments that allowed their high tech weapons to exist.

This was where they took Witch. They are gotten into an altercation earlier with the gifted telekinetic super, and had managed to incapacitate her for just a moment. It was more than long enough to tie her down and place the constricting band around her head. It couldn't stop her telepathy, but it could prevent her from manipulating matter. The band disconnected the powers from her emotions through the use of a highly adaptive metal, therefore making her incapable  of accessing them. The glare she gave them crackled with her locked power as they carried her away.

That was hours ago, however. The chair she was currently tied to was cold, unwarming against her frigid skin. Her head had began to spin from the piercing noise emanating from the box they had locked her in with. The little black box was too far to touch, and she still wore the band so she couldn't break it. The sound was so high pitched that her ears had begun to bleed, her eyes heavy from the oncoming faint. There was a click, and then relief. The box was off. Her head began to clear almost instantly, until the door opened. The scruffy ginger who walked in, Malachite, was the right hand man to Sulfer. He unbound her from the chair slowly before yanking her to her feet and pushing her toward the door. He seemed to be restraining himself, his jaw set as he gestured for her to move. Not wanting to spend anymore time near that deathly box, she stumbled out the door, only to wish she could go back in.

Standing in the open room were several people, including the tall, blonde that was Sulfur. His eyes seemed to glow lightly, and a haze rose from his skin as he gestured to the machine and back to several of his followers. Each one was disfigured in some way, ranging from lightly tinted skin to extra long frames due to hollowed and stretched bones. They belonged mostly to the class of Mutants, unlike Sulfur, Malachite, and Witch herself. Though they were gifted, their gifts didn't affect their appearance, causing them to be in the Super class. If only it was constricted to classes. But they were divided beyond that. There was the faction Justice, which both she and her partner Pyro were a part of, and the faction Obsidian, which everyone else in the room belonged to.

Attention seemed to settle on her as the door shut behind Malachite. A wicked grin grew on Sulfer's face as he threw his arms open in a welcoming gesture. "Witch! Ah, my favorite little Super. How niiiice of you to join us. Come, sit down, you must be exhausted after coming out of that room. I hear that box can cause some hearing issues. Can you hear me alright?"

While he talked, he strolled up to her, taking her arm and leading her to a wooden chair near the machine. He shoved her, hard, to make her sit down. Almost immediately, a bar wrapped over her chest, clasping her to the chair. He happily walked, nearly skipping, over to the machine. One of the Mutants came up behind her and began to stick wires to her temple, running them parallel to the band. She felt an immediate sense of danger as he did, her eyes widening as her mind went into overdrive trying to think her way out. She didn't have the kind of physical strength that her partner had. She couldn't manipulate people. She couldn't talk her way out. She felt frustrated as the machine whirled to life, monitoring her vitals as Sulfer came back into view.

"Now. This machine monitors your brain waves and your vitals. Do you know why I hooked you up to this, lovely Witch?"

"Is this punishment for not flirting back with you when you hit on me? Because if it is, you might understand why I would rather date a crocodile." Though her voice came out dry and sarcastic, there was a slight waver, a barely noticeable hitch of panic that Sulfer caught onto. He tapped her chin and laughed as he stepped back.

"No, no. But that might've been why we decided to test our new friend on you. You play hard to get too well. You and your little Justice buddies." The rest of the crew seemed to step away as well, nervous. There was a twenty foot ring around her before someone stepped forward. He appeared normal enough, with dark reddish hair and grey eyes. Except for his face, all of his skin was covered. He took a few steps toward her with a sigh as he pushed his hands from his sleeves. The sense of impending danger increased until her mind was screaming out, begging those around her to set her free. Her voice echoed through the group's minds, but they ignored it. "This guy's name is Transfer. He picked it himself. I think you'll find him fascinating, Witch."

His hand slightly touched her face, cupping the sides of it as his eyes slid shut. There was nothing, at first. And then-

She screamed. Her lips fell open silently as her mind screamed. A loud piercing shriek echoed outward, filling the building and then pushing outward toward the city. It blanketed the buildings and sunk down, briefly touching everyone around for miles before abruptly cutting off with a 'shkk'. The same noised seemed to fill the room as Transfer pulled his hands away. There was silence as Witch suddenly gasped in air, her eyes unfocused. And then...

"It is done. She is done."

July 30th

"WITCH!! WITCH, ANSWER ME!" Pyro flung herself higher into the sky, the air current under her pushing her up further. She had been calling for hours. Ever since she had heard the faintest cry in her mind yesterday night, she had seen neither hide nor tail of her partner. Something was incredibly wrong. It was almost as if the presence of her was gone entirely. Since they had met, Witch had been a constant presence in her mind, hovering on the edge. She'd hear whispers throughout the day, little nudges of support. It was calming, relaxing to the high strung Super.

And now it was gone.

The panic that filled her was overwhelming, and it was causing her powers to flare up. She would randomly causing trees to catch fire, she superheated rooms, and anything meltable melted in her presence. When she had encountered a criminal on the street, she was ruthless. Her hammer swung at a crippling speed into knee caps and shoulders, incapacitating people before ordering any bystanders to call the police. Then, just as quickly as she had arrived, she'd be gone. As soon as news of her "no shits taken" altitude that evening had spread, the streets seemed to empty.

Nothing left to distract her from her search.

... But Witch was no where to be found.

August 25th.

The camera wouldn't turn on. "God DAMN it!" She slapped a gloved hand to the side of the device and it flickered to life. She hastily connected it to the computer before she began to speak earnestly into it. "Hello? Is this thing working?"

The red light flickered and the uploading process began. She wasted no time. "This is Pyro, in Chicago. My partner and I are under attack. I need help, please, whoever can make it. Again, this is Pyro, calling for help in Chicago." The camera died soon after she finished once more, but she had gotten enough. She knew her voice was frantic, and she watched as the last percent on the upload bar finished. After the message "Upload Complete" showed, Pyro quickly scorched the laptop, frying everything inside it. The sound of footsteps behind the door at her back made her jump to her feet. She had just thrown the window open when the door was thrown opening. Behind her, the masked auburn super reached his hands put as he ran toward her. Without a second thought, the girl threw herself out of the window, taking flight on her hot air currents.

At least, now she knew.

"I'm so disappointed in you." - Annasiel, 2017
Last edited by Stitches on Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

You've been bitten by a true believer
You've been bitten by
someone who's hungrier than you
You've been bitten by
someone's false beliefs

Annasiel
Administrator

Re: [Request] Masked

Post by Annasiel » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:24 am

Alyssa (Alice) Johnson
Aka, "Witch"

Abilities:

Telepathy.
The ability to project one's thoughts into the mind of another, and read their own thoughts in return. Witch's form of telepathy is limited compared to more proficient psychics, with more utility as a method of communication among comrades than as a weapon or tool for spying. She is able to speak into the mind of anyone she personally knows. The more intimate her relationship with this individual, the clearer the link, and the more distance the link is able to traverse. For the reverse, the same is true, intimacy playing a key component in the ease of hearing returned thoughts. She is only able to easily glean thoughts when they are directed at her.

Empathokinesis.
The physical manipulation of matter, driven by affect. Through harnessing her emotions, Witch is able to alter the world around her, similar to how telekinesis works through thought. She is able to levitate targets, bind them together, blast them away with an unseen force, or teleport them short distances. Because of the volatile nature emotion-based manipulation presents, intense shifts in mood might bring about unintended consequences, though years spent working with her powers have given her a strong grip on her temperament.

Weapon:

A five-pointed shaken blade, small enough to conceal in the palm of her hand. She generally uses it in non-lethal ways.

Appearance:

Born of Native American descent, Witch is a thin, willowy woman of 5'9, with russet skin and a slender, pointed face. Her eyes are a deep walnut brown. They usually carry a reassuring warmth, and crinkle at the corners when she smiles. Thick, dark hair frames her face in straight cascades, coarse to the touch and bright with a supple sheen. Her features in concord carry an air of tranquil contentedness at most times.

Personality:

Some might call her too soft to be a hero. She is soft, in a way, though she won't hesitate to tell those critics to shut up. Truth be told, the violence of her occupation do take a toll on the compassionate Witch, but it is the path she chose to take and she bares that mantle with a quiet pride. Aside from her solicitous temperament, she possesses a remarkable hold on her emotional state, a hallmark of the power she wields. This facade of calm takes much to crack, but when it does, it can take a long time for her to regain tranquil composure. She also has a sharp wit, quick to throw out remarks and comebacks often tossed in playful jest.

Back Story:

Justice Affiliate Records

Transcript of recruitment for Alyssa Johnson, codenamed Witch. Unauthorized possession of this document is considered a breach of Justice Faction protocol, and will be reported.

This interview for recruitment was conducted by Joaquin Del Niro, a registered Interviewer with the Justice Faction Personnel Department.

J: Alyssa Johnson, twenty-one. Chosen codename of Witch.

A: That's me.

J: So, Miss... Alyssa.

A: Please, call me Alice.

J: Alice, then. I received your application and the records of your preliminary tests, and if I can say, I'm very impressed. We're all very impressed.

A: Thank you.

J: This interview is a bit of a meet and greet. A getting to know you, so to say. Information necessary for further screening, background checks, and general profiling. I hope you understand.

A: I do.

J: Then let us begin. Tell me, when did your abilities first manifest?

A: I was... ten, I think. I had been playing on a balcony with some friends. Singing, dancing, roughhousing; normal kid things. My best friend backed too close to the edge, and before anyone could react, she lost her footing and went over. The next thing I knew, she was laying on the concrete in front of me, panting and sobbing.

J: And she was completely unharmed?

A: Yes. She said it was like a shadow swallowed her out of the air and spat her back out on the balcony.

J: I see. And was there anything else of note about the experience?

A: Well... I screamed. I thought I was just screaming from my mouth when it happened. Afterwards, I learned everyone on the block had heard it.

J: I see. And where did you go, following that?

A: My parents took me out of school, and we went to New York. There was a teacher who lived there, someone my mother knew back when she was a hero. I didn't want to go, at first, and it was hard to leave my friends behind, but my parents convinced me it was for the best. After the balcony incident, my powers started popping out more and more. Whenever I was angry, or sad, or scared, things would happen around me. Stuff would break. It didn't help that random thoughts kept popping out of my head, and I started having trouble telling when I was talking out loud or not.

J: This instructor was...

A: Cain Dramomere, and I think he went by Psion when he was a hero. He was a telepath.

J: How long did you study under this Mr. Dramomere?

A: Eleven years.

J: That is quite a long time.

A: I didn't only have to control my powers, I had to control my emotions. If I just learned my abilities, I would still lose control every time I got a temper. Under Cain, I was practiced keeping my calm, no matter what situation I was in. Believe me, he tested me. A lot. There was an entire week where he kept me awake, playing all these horrible songs on repeat, spritzing me with water whenever I looked drowsy... it was grueling. I made a mess of his place on more than one occasion. But I learned to maintain my composure, and from that, I finally had a handle on my outbursts.

J: And then?

A: I saw a news report about this girl who could control fire, in Chicago. I don't know why, exactly, but I felt drawn to her. I left within the month, and we connected as soon as we met.

J: This other young lady, she is the one you mentioned earlier, the one applying alongside you?

A: Sally. Yes.

J: Alright. This concludes our interview. There is still a bit more paperwork in need of processing, but as of right now, you are officially a member of the Justice Faction network. Welcome aboard, Witch.

A: My pleasure. I'm looking forward to it.
Alone she drifts from ancient mists
Nary a candle, nary a wish
But in the wont of wandering paths
Through wooded knolls, and windworn crags
She seeks a face she thought as friend
But now -- she thinks as judgement's end

Stitches
Token Witch

Post by Stitches » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:26 am

Sally Phoenix
Aka, "Pyro"

Abilities: She can manipulate heat in any form. She can use this ability in a number of interesting ways, including, but not limited to, creating hot air currents to fly on, warming up another person's body, and manipulating fire. She has a heightened metabolism, which causes her to eat double what a normal person needs to survive. And although she gained these through training, and not through birth, she is also physically stronger than most women her size, and much faster. She sleeps half the time a normal person would, and heals at a slightly faster pace, both due to the chemicals that cause her heat manipulation and generation.

Appearance: Long, tangled red curls, and bright green eyes. Fair skinned, with freckled cheeks. Not too tall, but very thin.

Her super outfit consists of a black and red, long sleeved catsuit, black boots, and a red half mask.

Personality: Sally has a serious personality, and usually comes off in a very severe manner when acting as Pyro. During her daily life, she is aloof and distant with those sound her, despite the crushing loneliness that rules her. She's generally very polite and sweet, regardless of the distance she places between herself and others.

Back Story: Sally was born with her powers, unlike some of her fellow supers. It's unknown where in her family they had come from, but they were there. Her parents began very early on her training. When she was young, it was mostly for control, but as she got older, she expressed her wishes to her parents. She wanted to be a super.

Thanks to her heightened metabolism and minimal need for sleep, she was able to spend much of her high school life building a reputation for herself as a super during the night. During her senior year, another super moved into town; Witch. The new super was roughly the same age, and was gifted with telekinesis. The two formed a tenuous partnership to team up against a sudden influx of mob activity in Chicago. Their partnership became official upon the end of the mission, and the two became famous throughout the states once they became full time heroes.

Recently, a group of darker supers has infiltrated their home. Witch, while investigating, went missing. Upon an attempt to find her missing partner, Pyro was jumped by a rather powerful elemental super, and retreated to call for backup, as is the super protocol

Last edited by Stitches on Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

You've been bitten by
You've been bitten by
someone's false beliefs

Snowskeeper

Post by Snowskeeper » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:27 am

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gpw ... gHGt4/edit

I don't have the energy to reformat this again right now sorry

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:19 pm

Yume Furostomi
AKA Ice Princess

Abilities:
Yume’s powers encompass the ability to manipulate the structure of ice. She can create and shape it to what she needs and desires with nothing more than a movement of her hand and a thought in her head. Her ice remains frozen so long as she needs it to be so, and is more durable than the stuff one finds in their freezer.

When in moments of danger, Yume can whip up a violent blizzard of snow and shards of jagged ice to carve into any threat which draws near her. The onslaughts are sudden and violent, often lasting for only seconds before Yume grows too exhausted to continue, but for those trapped within, often a few seconds are all that is needed.

Weapon:
Although she can bend ice into any shape, and could make any weapon that strikes her fancy, Yume favors a bow constructed of her ice for armed combat. A bow and arrow is what she is good with, and if you are going to be fighting evil, might as well use what you know.

Appearance:

Personality:
They don't call Yume the Ice Princess for nothing. If you only ever knew her in passing, you would think Yume to be cold as ice. She gives off the feeling of someone who is always cool and composed. Well, that is only if you don't know her well. It isn't really that Yume doesn't feel any emotions, it is simply that Yume is terrible at being able to express her emotions. If you are one of the lucky few who get to know her, you would soon learn that Yume is a girl who loves cute things, and like any her age suffers bouts of self doubt about the path she wishes to lead in this life.

Her small apartment is packed full of stuffed animals, and other adorable odds and ends, from characters of a beloved show, to a cute animal that struck her fancy.

Backstory:
Yume was born the eldest child of the Furostomi family and was thus the heir to the Furostomi Electronics company, the world’s largest and most well respected producer of top-of-the line electronics, gadgets, and machines. Due to this, Yume grew up with her father’s expectations for greatness planted firmly on her shoulders. She attended the finest schools, received the best tutors, and when she took up archery to help with stress, then too she received the best craftsmanship money could find. For a time, life had a rhythm to it, it wasn't easy by any means but she found purpose in it.

Until the day things shifted.

When she was twelve, one day Yume woke up to a room full of snow. Fresh, beautiful, unmelted. Her maid was surprised, her parents concerned, her siblings ecstatic, and Yume simply felt an odd contentment.

Her father hired heroes to help teach her how to harness her power. In return for their time spent, the Furostomi Company sponsored those heroes. Not a bad deal for all involved, Yume received training, the company gained good will, and the hero got funding. So, a fascination with heroes began to grow within Yume. She found herself beginning to think, she had powers too, did she not? Would it be ok for her to live her life safe with her ivory tower while the wicked committed ill deeds she had the power to stop?

So, she made a choice. As dangerous as it might be, she would play her part.

When she turned seventeen, Yume was given a section of the company to manage. So, she set a division aside for the development and aid of heroes, along with a promise that 10% of all proceeds would be used to fund this division. A useful marketing tool, and with a promise to her father and mother that she wouldn't place herself in too much danger, she became an official hero.
//… and it was there, and her blade flicked out catching only air. She backed from the door, worn floorboards shivering with each misplaced step...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III

Stitches
Token Witch

[Request] Masked

Post by Stitches » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:14 pm

Lucas Downey

“Sulfer”

Abilities: Sulfer secretes a pheromone from his pores that does several things, depending on his intentions. As a default, it releases a chemical he refers to as “Brainwash”, which will affect the judgment portion of the brain. Its used to influence those around him to follow his order. Part of this chemical compound includes a heightened level of serotonin in his presence, causing most people that he spends time around longterm to crave his presence. Its nearly undetectable, as it is scentless, colourless, and has minimal density when compared to the chemical comp of air.

Its second form, “Gas Chamber”, produces a toxin that paralyzes upon contact. It does more than muscle paralysis, however, as exposure of more than a minute causes internal organs to slow and stop as well. He's given a room of this chemical to his chemist, HazMat, to use in his synthetics. This gas is recognized by its deep green transparency, and its minty fresh smell.

The final usage of his power is unknown, however there are many theories. Some of his men say it can cause you pain like nothing you will ever experience in your life. Some of the heros claim he's used it to gas them and knock them out in battle. Other villains claim that it can kill an entire room of supers, regardless of immunity. But there are no confirmed or reliable reports, and only Sulfer’s word that he has a third stage.

Appearance: A tall and rather attractive young man, with sharp features and a fox like smile. His thick dark blonde locks fall in little darts around his eyebrows and jawline, silky smooth and shining. A pair of swirling, kaleidoscope eyes mark him for who he is, making him easily recognized. He loves to play up the villain aspect, running through a gauntlet of outfits, from spandex suits to big cloaks and staffs, to urban delinquent. Really, he ought to just star in a video game dress up series at this point.

Personality:

Backstory:

You've been bitten by
You've been bitten by
someone's false beliefs

Someguy500

Post by Someguy500 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:19 am

Name: Walter Sosa

Alias: Mercurial

Powers: This vigilante can create orbs that respond to his imagination and emotions. For example, he could push an excited thought through the filter of his power to create a sphere of lightning, or channel caustic hatred to create a ball of acid. It can be expanded if he lets his mind wander, though this comes at the cost of speed and intensity. Occasionally, orbs can leak into reality without his conscious effort.

From there, he can control it telepathically. The strength of an orb's effects is determined by the amount of attention he is giving it, and the number of orbs he can make is based on how many of these thoughts he can juggle; without his attention they slowly fall apart and dissipate, unless he intentionally dismisses them.

Appearance: Physically, Walter does not stand out much. Brown, close-shaved hair. Light brown skin, though smooth like someone who doesn't get a lot of sun. He's clean-shaven, and his features are normal, if a tad sharp. Slightly shorter than average at 170 centimeters, typical build. His jacket, which he constantly wears while in plainwear, hides a bit of muscle, the sort one would gain from light exercise or dancing.

When he's out as Mercurial, his costume can be called anachronistic. First off, he dons a simple ballistic mask, brushed in two shades of metallic grey separated by a seam of rusty red, going down diagonally across his face. A shawl bearing the same greys and red accents goes over his head, reaching his waist in height. Underneath is a set of military fatigues including a bulletproof vest, all dyed in his signature colours. The costume is finished with a set of sturdy work gloves and boots.

Personality: At first glance, Walter is a poor personality for someone whose powers are linked to their emotions. A stoic, boring person, straight-faced as can be. Machine-like, even.

The truth is, he's actually very vibrant underneath his crust. Whether this is better or worse, however, is debatable. Walter's emotional makeup is heavily imbalanced, and there's no telling if he'll have an appropriate reaction to the situation at hand. Years of performing little actions and rituals to put himself in a certain headspace have him on an emotional hair trigger, rather than building an immunity.

Biography:
Age 14
At night. Sitting up in bed. Hospital bed. Head felt heavy, pounding. Like nails. Fever, doctor had said. What were the orders? Stay, rest. He tried to. Put on his tough face. Stay strong.

His thoughts, they swam, just out of reach. Was it the medicine? He could remember the pill, on the back of his throat. Got up, went to the window. Looking down at everyone. Cars drove by with their lights. All dumb. No, ignorant. Noone knew. About the spikes driving into his head, sharp, insistent.

He felt jealous. Wanted to scream. Fingers felt numb, shaking. Shout, let it all out. Don't care about the doctors, what his mother or father would say. He felt something wet around his hand. A globe of metal, his fingers sticking out of it. He clenched his fist, tried to pull away. The liquid only gripped back. He managed a growl. "Get off." It slipped off, like he wasn't even holding it.

His thoughts crystallized, he was thinking clearer. That was him, this. He had a power, like the superheroes on TV. What the hell would he do with it?

Before anyone could see, he tried to will the orb to "go away", "disappear". The pounding had started again, but it was different. More distant. It was bearable, now.
Last edited by Someguy500 on Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snowskeeper wrote:"I rip off my head and slam-dunk it into the nearest trashcan

Good morning"
- May 2017

Stitches
Token Witch

Post by Stitches » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:47 am

Sleepily slaps an approval stamp down and rolls back over to sleep.

You've been bitten by
You've been bitten by
someone's false beliefs

Vladmirk

Post by Vladmirk » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:41 am

Oh wow, I remember this
I received a Varsity Letter in roleplaying

Snowskeeper