DIARY ENTRY NO.1
Met my friend Rizika at Uni today. Haven't seem him in a long time since he left Istanbul ages ago. In fact, the two of us used to live on opposite sides of the Bosphorus! His hair was exactly like I remembered; hair that was brown and shaggy (although now with that French Fork beard), slender body, skin pale as the moon and a happy personality to boot. Can't wait to see where his work in Continuum Mechanics will take him.
DIARY ENTRY NO.2
Met Rizika today and introduced him to a bunch of my new friends. He seemed put off by them. I guess it's due to the fact that he and I haven't gotten to talk to eachother in such a long time, but I will find something for the two of us to do eventually. Maybe check out my mother's Sheshboluki rugs that they made themselves. My research into Mineralogy is going decently well, however I must say that despite his odd behaviour, Rizika is doing amazingly well in his field.
DIARY ENTRY NO.3
Rizika is starting to frighten me. It's only been a month since I wrote my last article, but he's been doing too well. He's made breakthrough discovery after breakthrough discovery, all the while my friends have to watch. Even his girlfriend is asking him to slow down the pace, but he's just taking even greater risks than before. What's worse is; he says it's all for me. I don't know why he says so, but... it's not healthy. I'm going to talk to him soon and see if I can help him.
DIARY ENTRY NO.4
Rizika seems to be calming down, creating what seems to be a set of armour for himself. The costume looks amazing, filled with small coloured orbs that felt weird when I touch them. Apparently I'm the only one to have done so. Anyway he seems to enjoy the company of others now, (but he still keeps his sunnies on haha) and it feels quite normal. Tomorrow he wants to show the armour to everyone. Can't see what he looks like in it!
DIARY ENTRY NO.5
I don't know what happened at all. I've woken up to a darker world. All I can remember is the destruction. My new friends; dead. My parents are supposedly safe but I don't know for how long. My father has taken my mum to the home of his people - the Crimean Steppe, but I don't know if they can even survive what this world has become. Drones fill the streets, incinerating any sign of resistance possible, whilst people starve and cry in this new world of "ours". Also; MAGIC EXISTS FOR SOME REASON. I don't know why it's here, or how he brought it here, but it has to have been due to that armor. I've seen his eyes for the first time today. It's just grey. All of it is grey. It scares and sickens me so much I had to punch him in the face so I can get away. I need help. Please someone help me. I can't do this alone...
The story takes place on Earth approximately 40 years in the future. Mankind has made countless discoveries in regards to the space-time continuum, alternate realities, pocket and alternate dimensions and wormholes. However, despite having the technology to do so, no expeditions have been made due to a lack of willing volunteers, as well as the innumerable amount of potential threats to human civilization. Most of the world has switched to some form of renewable energy, although this means that countries that supplied oil as their main export (such as Venezuela and Angola) have received economic backlash due to the sudden switch. Experimental weapons that condense heat particles into a projectile have been in development for a few years, and production has sped up due to recent events.
Rizika (now under the title Magister Akisar) has seized control over Turkey’s government with the help of some unnatural enhancements to his armour (see Magic section in Refracted Realms post) that make him seemingly manipulate many forces of nature, space and time. Thanks to his newfound power, he was able to force his rule over Turkey with little resistance. Today, the country is under constant inspection by drones and conscripted officers. Those that step out of line will be severely punished.
The rest of the world has responded with fear. Especially Bulgaria, Romania and Georgia, who all fear they will be the next in line of Akisar’s conquest. As a plan to help the population of these countries escape safely, UN officials have decided to drop robotic combat units and bombs to dampen Akisar’s forces. These attempts have proved to be only a minor hindrance, however. As Akisar is growing more and more powerful, many rebellion groups are banding up against the Magister and his army, although all attempts so far have proven to be of little to no success.
Slang has developed between many different anarchist and rebel factions and a loose classification term has formed between groups.
- Yalniz: Lone wolfs that fight for themselves. They don't like to share with other people, and tend to hoarde as much as possible. Yalniz also tend to stay in a local area, as by securing it for themselves, they will be able to fortify it and defend against the army.
- Paranoyaks: Simply put, they are people who are incredibly fearful of Akisar and his power and are paranoid that everyone else is a spy from his army. Unlike Yalniz, Paranoyaks don't spend too much time in a single area in fear they get caught.
- Koruyucus: Men or women that act as a form of bodyguard for those that pay enough to hire them. They're popular among those that work in the black market and other illegal businesses.
- Pervasiz: Reckless citizens that try and overpower Akisar's army by themselves, with often little or no help. They also try and cause grief to the army by releasing prisoners or by cutting off supply lines.
- Ackinci: Renegades that steal from not only the army, but other rebels. They tend to be former criminal that take advantage of the chaotic state to commit as much anarchy as they wish.
- Deneyci: Rebels that try and study the surge of magic that has flooded Earth, as well as the odd affliction that has affected Akisar's army, as well as a way to reverse it.
- Karavaner: a member of a Karavan, which are a group of people from a certain area working together. Usually consisting of neighbours, family members or friends, they help protect eachother and try and overpower the enemy with strength by numbers.