[VG/Wrestling] PBL: Pokemon Battling League

If you're willing to consistently post a paragraph and want more depth than casual, try this on for size. (5-10 sentences per post, on average.)
GallantAquarius_19

[VG/Wrestling] PBL: Pokemon Battling League

Post by GallantAquarius_19 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:44 pm

Because this is going to require a bit more setup for the three separate leagues going on at once, I will keep the beginning down to the bare essentials. These are Pokémon battles in the style of professional wrestling matches, each trainer being given a different personality and a Pokémon to manage in a battle against another trainer. There will be tag team matches, cage matches, massive crowds to play to, various belts to be won by either heels or faces in the wrestling business, a singular massive WrestleMania styled even along with a Royal Rumble and other major pay per views being represented, and the entire catalogue of Pokémon to be put on display. This main post will focus on explaining the rules and the necessary functions of a character sheet before I go into the specifics of the Pokémon Battling League (Think WWE), Championship Pokémon Battling (More mid 90's WCW focusing on the NWO and the outliers in the company), and Extreme Pokémon Combat (ECW). Stay tuned for further updates and keep those character sheets coming!

Rules:
1) Follow the necessary rules for the intermediate role plays. No short posts, no over the top gore or disgusting stuff, no deaths.
2) Each match is scripted. How this will work is that I will message people personally with a general outline of the match, specific spots to play to the crowd outside, and maybe a set piece or two. The rest will be up to you.
3) I will play the role of the wrestling commissioner both in story as a character and in a bit more of real life. You will do as I say or risk serious repercussions like an untimed gimmick change, losing your title, or even being transferred to a different league. I do this not as a way of being a mean person, but rather adhering to the role of the bastard commissioner of the league and holding the authority.
4) This roleplay will be fairly heavy on wrestling jargon, but not extremely. If you have questions on what things like a work, a shoot a botch, a jobber, or anything like that are, tell me and I'll be more than happy to answer.
5) Promos and backstage segments are all yours. Say what you want, but stay in character at all times (In wrestling terms, don't break Kayfabe).
6) Stay in contact with me through RP forums or, more conveniently, through social media. The scripts for the matches will be sent either through here or through personal communication through skype or kik. If you do not wish to divulge this information, however, that's perfectly fine.
7) Tell your friends if you wish! I'd love to see this roleplay grow and grow with new talent.

Character Sheets:
Name (Wrestling name in quotations and real name without):
Age (18-80):
Pokémon moves:
Finisher:
Appearance (Either with a photo or a decent (3-5 sentence) description:
Backstory:
Personality (3-5 sentences):
Face or Heel (Good guy or Bad Guy):
Promotion (PBL, EPC, or CPB):
Tag Team Partner (Optional):

GallantAquarius_19

Re: [VG/Wrestling] PBL: Pokemon Battling League

Post by GallantAquarius_19 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:40 pm

The Pokémon Battling League, or PBL, is a very family friendly organization, if a bit homogenous. They have progressed past the era of over the top characters in the golden era of glitz and glamour and have decided to focus more on the talented trainers that now fill its ranks, though it is keen on bringing back some older figures in the Pokémon Battling business to drum up a huge pop at the latest Poke-Mania. There are two main shows on the brand, those being the more popular red branded Power and the less popular, more gimmick oriented Takedown, occasional live shows, and the variety of pay-per-views throughout the years. The first is the big one of them all, Poke-Mania, a massive gamble in the day to have one massive card with appearances from famous gym leaders having open challenges PBL battlers and even some musical and acting talent to add the gravitas of the event. The next is Battle Brawl, where battlers are all put together on random teams and pitted against each other in one big punch up; new alliances will often be made and lost here on the main stage. The third is the Magnificent Melee, similar to that of a Royal Rumble match where each battler receives a number and joins one big brawl in the ring with their Pokémon, each Pokémon having to be thrown out of the ring in order to count as an elimination. Last man standing gets a shot at going to Poke-Mania and the coveted last spot is saved for the fan favorite. The last main pay-per-view is the Sunshine Rumble, a sort of intermediary period that is another main road to Poke-Mania and is one of the more hyped events next to Poke-Mania. There is also a few more gimmick events like Caged Fury which is more of a bent towards a hardcore crowd and features mainly cage matches and the Fight for the Crown tournament that doesn't come with a belt, but does come with a great amount of bragging rights.

TehMagicPudding

Post by TehMagicPudding » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:54 pm

How do finishers work in the context of this setting? I have a character almost entirely done except for the finisher.
Science can't disprove the existence of ninjas, only their direct presence.

GallantAquarius_19

Post by GallantAquarius_19 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:00 pm

The finishers work as some kind of move or combo of moves combined with theatrics to the crowd.

TehMagicPudding

Post by TehMagicPudding » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:56 pm

Name: David Russ "Dave the Ring Crew Guy"
Pokémon: Ralts
Pokémon moves: Telekinesis, Double Team, Confusion, Growl
Finisher: "Taking Out the Trash" Ralts uses telekinesis to lift and throw the opponent out of the arena. Named when Dave tried to pull of a one liner after pulling this move off through luck.
Appearance:
Backstory: Dave grew up in Hearthome City, in a rather comfortable middle class life. He got excellent grades in school, and scored a grant to medical school for a double major in Nursing and Pokémon Nursing. Unfortunately, his family couldn't fully support him financially when he lost his mother and his five year old brother was critically injured in a train accident. Needing money to put himself through med school and help support his family, he took a full time job with the Pokémon Battle League as Arena Maintenance in between matches. He's unfortunately found himself the whipping boy for every heel when they lash out after they lose a match. Unfortunately, one part of his contract that Dave didn't read fully dictates that he is obligated to participate in a match if management tells him to. This clause means he aends up getting thrown into squash matches. Still he soldiers on, living off of ramen and tap water to make it through school and help his family.
Personality: Dave the Ring Crew Guy is a rather cowardly young man who avoids confrontations whenever possible. He is noted for being perfectly competent in his actual job of Arena Maintenance, as well as still maintaining excellent grades, at the cost of his health. His first reaction to being interviewed is invariably: "I'm just trying to do my job! Please stop hitting me!" Though he gets along well with his Pokémon, he has no aptitude for battling.
Face or Heel: Face
Promotion: PBL
Tag Team Partner: None
Science can't disprove the existence of ninjas, only their direct presence.

The Alt-Rick

Post by The Alt-Rick » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:20 am

Name: Thomas Chaos.
Heel.
Pokemon: Rayquaza
Pokemon moves:
Earthquake, Wrap, Dragon Rage, Fly.
Finisher: "Chaos theory". Rayquaza mega-evolves and at that point he is completely autonomous and not in the trainer's control.

About the trainer:
Rumored to have been a completely different person in another life, a high ranking member of the criminal organization known as Team Rocket doing horrible experiments on pokemon to turn them into missingnos or "glitch HM slaves" as he referred to them until his encounter with Sereibi who he depicts like Dr.Who traveling through time and changing people's lives for the better (mostly...) whilst time travel did indeed change him from being a criminal tycoon, it did not make him a good person. Far from it in fact. His obsession with trying to find and capture Serebi led becoming mad with a thirst for power and capturing legendary pokemon which he eventually did, and as a result put a stop to the gang wars between Team Aqua and Magma by forming a neutral cult paid off by some legitamate funding, (pokemon centers, police stations) and some... illegitimate sources. (The same Team Rocket, only here he does not answer to them. At least not directly.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQFIBg2vY-8
Acts like the corporate ministry but very theatrical gothic aesthetics like the brood here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqRKKpnWkh8

In battle he's usually ambivalent unless it's a high end evolution or legendary to which he finds a true strength of will and worth his time. The easiest way though to bring out his cruel side which has not been lost to time is to bring up his big loss against some little punk ass named The Red White and Blue. A chump who brought a God damn Pikachu to a matchup of gods.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKJDAVvs_JA
Yes... that Red lol Oh God, did I just set up a possibility of a face-heel turn where Red becomes Hollywood Hogan because Chaos does a little too much Chaos theory? lol