[Req] Occula Obscura

If you're willing to consistently post a paragraph and want more depth than casual, try this on for size. (5-10 sentences per post, on average.)
illirica
Sandbox Mod

Re: [Req] Occula Obscura

Post by illirica » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:01 pm

UmbraSight wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:24 pm
You know it might be fun to figure out some big names in the Chicago and New York scene
Reference Number: #4291
Demographic Information: lives in Chicago
Confirmed Aliases: illirica

:lol:

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:20 pm

illirica wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:01 pm
UmbraSight wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:24 pm
You know it might be fun to figure out some big names in the Chicago and New York scene
Reference Number: #4291
Demographic Information: lives in Chicago
Confirmed Aliases: illirica

:lol:
Too OP
//… under her weight the floorboards gave, and she fell into the dark...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:45 pm

That random poke I do to check on CSs
//… under her weight the floorboards gave, and she fell into the dark...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:23 pm

Reference Number:
R-127

Alive/Active

Name:
Lia Jung

Demographic Information:
Female, Asian/Caucasian mixed descent
Date of Birth: January 8th, 2001, Toronto, CA
Dual citizenship: South Korea and Canada

Confirmed Aliases:
Receiver

Threat Assessment:
Sinistral - Sensory - Extraneous Perception Ability

Lia’s Occula allows her to communicate with inanimate objects in her vicinity. She insists that each specific object has a certain type of information it's able to convey, as well as a certain degree of reliability. Experimental data has shown that Lia is able to gain information through these communications that she otherwise might not have had access to, so it is accepted that her ability grants her some degree of extra sensory perception.

However, given the peculiarities of her particular manifestation, there are many questions as to whether Lia's ability actually works in the manner she claims it does, or whether her perceptive ability is something misunderstood by her and masked by her mental state. Her frequent insistence that she isn't insane generally only serves to acerbate the situation.

As such, she is generally not remanded into combat potential situations, though her ability has shown exceptionally useful in investigative situations.

Background References:
Summer, 2009:
“I’m really not crazy,” Lia said offhandedly to the ceiling, leaning back in her chair. “Really.”

“I know. It’s all right. Don’t worry about it.” Ceilings were very soothing. Not like floors. Floors were… downtrodden, often. She tried to mitigate that, by walking along the edges where she could, or by stepping carefully on each crack, because most people avoided them.

“I try not to worry about it. I think other people worry about it, though. About me.”

“Does that bother you?”

“Sometimes. I just… sometimes I think I should tell someone. And then I don’t, because I don’t know what good it would do.” She looked to the window, for a different perspective.

“You should get under the desk now.”

“What? Why?”

“Because a bomb’s about to go off outside. Good-bye.”

She closed her eyes and covered her ears as the world exploded through the window, leaving only shards.

"Good-bye!" they called, high and sharp and scattering, "Good-bye! Good-bye! Good-bye!"
During her early childhood, Lia's Occula led her through a series of misdiagnoses - from attention deficit disorder to autism to schizophrenia, none of the labels quite fit her correctly. She spent a great deal of time in therapy, both in- and outpatient, but none of it seemed particularly helpful. Since her nonstandard mentality didn't seem to tend towards violence, it was eventually established that she just be allowed to continue as best she could, though she was never able to be mainstreamed into the public school system, and was educated privately by tutors when she was young. The 2009 bombing of the Hartford Apartment Complex took the lives of her parents, which ended Lia's private tutoring. She was sent to live in a juvenile mental health facility, under the hope that the doctors there would be able to help her become a functional member of society.

It was not until 2013 that her ability was recognized for what it was.
Summer, 2013
“So, you could find out what I ate for breakfast this morning from this eraser.”

“Oh, no, sir.” Lia shook her head firmly, “Erasers are terrible sources of information. They always omit things. Pencils tend to be much more knowledgeable, but they’re not always accurate.” She paused, carefully, then added, “I’m… really not crazy.” She wasn’t sure if it was, perhaps, too late to be adding that part.

“A bit late, yes,” the desk agreed, as she glanced down at it, “But he’s used to it.”

“Oh?”

“Oh, certainly. Half the people that come through this office are crazy.”

“I… don’t know that that actually makes me feel any better.”

“Don’t worry. You’re not the sort of crazy that causes accidents.”

“Well, I certainly try not to.”

“Lia, what are you talking to right now?”

Oh. She’d forgotten he was there.

Given the preponderance of inanimate objects in any area, Lia is constantly filtering a stream of other information and conversations, often leading to her appearing distracted. She has difficulty maintaining relationships with other people, as well as difficulties communicating effectively. Despite that, she has always done well with schoolwork and is a very bright young woman, just one who often finds it challenging to effectively use that intelligence in a way that makes sense to the people around her.

Physical Description:
Her Occula appears as flickering motes of various hues of blue on a dark blue background. It is unknown what it looks like when it is not active, as Lia’s ability seems to be constantly engaged - this being one of the main reasons it was not properly diagnosed for so long.

Her other eye is brown, with dark brown hair and features hinting at Korean descent. She's slightly built and small of stature, and while she's perfectly fit from a health perspective, she is not particularly athletic nor inclined towards any special physical abilities.

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:19 pm

I love her, accepted~

Vladmirk

Post by Vladmirk » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:12 am

Quick question. If a person were to have similar abilities that are split between Sinistral and Dextral, and their main ability is essentially always on, would their eyes generally remain different colors?
Where's our sacrifice?
Oh, get off the cross, we need the wood.

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:23 am

Generally, yep

Vladmirk

Post by Vladmirk » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:39 am

Alright cool, that helps since the main ability is a sensory ability, but a secondary use fits better under one of the Dextral subtypes
Where's our sacrifice?

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:43 am

What’s the thought for the ability?

Vladmirk

Post by Vladmirk » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:57 pm

I'm just going to post the full CS when I'm done, if that's fine with you
Where's our sacrifice?