[REQ] Castlevania: Madrigal of One

If you're willing to consistently post a paragraph and want more depth than casual, try this on for size. (5-10 sentences per post, on average.)
Annasiel
Administrator

[REQ] Castlevania: Madrigal of One

Post by Annasiel » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:08 am

Winter, 1861.

London.

A fog sweeps over the dirty, dim-lit streets, bringing with it the chill of the Atlantic. Overhead, a sickle moon waxes in the starry seas. A moody night. A dark night. A horrible night to have a curse. It was on this night that a grim hush spread across the city, the silence of a city in mourning, though at this moment they know not for whom, know not of their weeping queen, and of the physician noting the time and cause in a cold scrawl. The night takes from humans, those creatures of the day, borne with it the curse to suffer and toil and strain. But this is the mortal lot, hard as it may be, and it is also our lot to fight back with all our hearts against the oppressive, hungry shadows. Often we lose. Sometimes we win.

Sometimes, we win, and lose more than we gained. Decades prior, the world lost one of the brightest lights that pierced the night. Richter Belmont, the last known bearer of the vampire killer, disappeared, and with him the Belmont legacy. A family that for so long defended humanity from the evil that wishes to undo it. In recent years, the nights have been quiet, the ruins of Castlevania little more than a tomb for memories past. But tonight, the city mourns. Sorrow breeds darkness. Darkness breeds danger. And underneath that sickle moon, a lone wolf howls into the night.

--

This is an idea I've been wanting to bring to fruition for a while, though I've long been unsure the exact direction I want to take. Essentially, it takes place over half a century since Richter Belmont's possession at the hands of the high priest Shaft, the corruption of the Belmont bloodline, and the disappearance of both the pure Belmonts and the vampire killer, their heirloom whip with the power to burn even the strongest of the night's beloved. In a few more decades, the whip will emerge in the hands of a new family, the Morris clan, but this is not the story of new legends made. It is the story of old ones past, of saviors lost, and of the brave, nameless souls that fought the night in the time between.

It will largely be set in Victorian England, following the death of the Prince-Consort Albert, husband of Victoria. The canon is a loose interpretation of Castlevania lore, and knowledge of any complex game lore isn't necessary. I'd be willing to answer any questions interested users might have about the lore of the games, the roleplay, or anything else that may be pertinent.

Who's interested?

~~

Name:

Appearance: Anime is preferable, or a written description.

Skills/Powers:

Backstory: No need to go too in depth here, just a little blurb to understand where your character is coming from. I'd prefer more in-depth information to be revealed and developed in-character.

I also realized I wasn't quite specific about where the world is at this time. Things have been relatively quiet in recent years, save for typical solitary incidents. However, on the night exposited above, there was a sudden resurgence. The countryside has grown dangerous to traverse, towns and cities are being attacked, and the situation looks grim. In universe, these spikes in activity are usually signs of Dracula's return, something that would be known to those involved in the supernatural.

RP: https://rp-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=10955
OOC: https://rp-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=4 ... 65#p272695
Alone she drifts from ancient mists
Nary a candle, nary a wish
But in the wont of wandering paths
Through wooded knolls, and windworn crags
She seeks a face she thought as friend
But now -- she thinks as judgement's end

Snowskeeper

Re: Castlevania: Madrigal of One

Post by Snowskeeper » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:13 am

What if Castlevania was stolen by bats

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:14 am

Snowskeeper wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:13 am
What if Castlevania was stolen by bats
Shoo Bazaar, shoo

Go make deals somewhere else, this is my city now

Mahent

Post by Mahent » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:16 am

I'd be interested in this concept, it seems interesting enough to allow for character development and plot. So count me in, I do have a few questions though.

This is based of Castlevania, right? I don't know much about it/practically nothing, so I hope that's alright. I'll read up on the lore if it is needed. I'm assuming this won't involve any of the canon and will mainly be focused on a new story, ay?
How can anyone eat a soft apple? I just don't get it

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:25 am

Mahent wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:16 am
I'd be interested in this concept, it seems interesting enough to allow for character development and plot. So count me in, I do have a few questions though.

This is based of Castlevania, right? I don't know much about it/practically nothing, so I hope that's alright. I'll read up on the lore if it is needed. I'm assuming this won't involve any of the canon and will mainly be focused on a new story, ay?
My first customer!

Not too much of the lore is necessary to know, and everything that is I'd be happy to teach (I also have a three hour long video series to plug, but I doubt anyone will actually take me up on that, and I'm not exactly sure I'd have anyone suffer that fate). I prefer to keep away from canon as much as possible when using existing worlds, so yup, this is going to be 100% a new story! All I ask is you match the general feel of the games for characters, so think... JRPG fantasy meets gothic horror? Especially for the later titles. I'm really gonna double down on the gothic horror aspect in this, considering the timeline was fortuitous enough to have a massive gap in canon lore at the tail end of the actual gothic literary movement (misty London, Victorian culture, and spooks, oh my!)

Mahent

Post by Mahent » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:30 am

Annasiel wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:25 am
Mahent wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:16 am

My first customer!

Not too much of the lore is necessary to know, and everything that is I'd be happy to teach (I also have a three hour long video series to plug, but I doubt anyone will actually take me up on that, and I'm not exactly sure I'd have anyone suffer that fate). I prefer to keep away from canon as much as possible when using existing worlds, so yup, this is going to be 100% a new story! All I ask is you match the general feel of the games for characters, so think... JRPG fantasy meets gothic horror? Especially for the later titles. I'm really gonna double down on the gothic horror aspect in this, considering the timeline was fortuitous enough to have a massive gap in canon lore at the tail end of the actual gothic literary movement (misty London, Victorian culture, and spooks, oh my!)
I have no problems with that, is there anything I should watch in particular to understand Castlevania? Or is the wiki enough? Of course an explanation from you is fine with me too.

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:37 am

What you can gleam from the wiki should be enough. All you really need to know is who the Belmonts are, the sort of threat Dracula poses, and know about Dracula's castle. I'd recommend against playing, for example, a seasoned vampire hunter or someone closely tied to canon things without deeper reading, but nothing's stopping you from distancing yourself from the lore, just getting dragged into the mess, and learning as you go along.

Mahent

Post by Mahent » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:45 am

Annasiel wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:37 am
What you can gleam from the wiki should be enough. All you really need to know is who the Belmonts are, the sort of threat Dracula poses, and know about Dracula's castle. I'd recommend against playing, for example, a seasoned vampire hunter or someone closely tied to canon things without deeper reading, but nothing's stopping you from distancing yourself from the lore, just getting dragged into the mess, and learning as you go along.
Alright, I'll take a quick look at the wiki. And yeah, that's probably for the best. Anyway, I'm in. Seems fun.

How much do you usually post? I mirror my partner most of the time.

Annasiel
Administrator

Re: [REQ] Castlevania: Madrigal of One

Post by Annasiel » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:47 am

It varies, but I usually hit 3-5 short paragraphs, dependending on the roleplay. If I'm GMing, it might be more, but that's just for exposition's sake.

Mahent

Re: [REQ] Castlevania: Madrigal of One

Post by Mahent » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:51 am

Annasiel wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:47 am
It varies, but I usually hit 3-5 short paragraphs, dependending on the roleplay. If I'm GMing, it might be more, but that's just for exposition's sake.
Alright, looking good.

I've read up on some of the lore and I think I get most of it now. As for the roleplay itself, do you have any kind of end-goal in mind/objective? Like killing Dracula/etc.