[Req] What is the Purpose?

If you're willing to consistently post a paragraph and want more depth than casual, try this on for size. (5-10 sentences per post, on average.)
Words_are_Weapons

[Req] What is the Purpose?

Post by Words_are_Weapons » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:59 am

We have always asked ourselves the same questions, over and over through the entirety our lives. These questions define our lives, whether obviously or subtly. They drive us from the core of our beings, and at that core we already know the answers.
——-

A dimly lit shop, rundown and nearly forgotten while nestled between brand name stores. Softly the bell rings, the owner preoccupied behind the counter, rearranging stock that hadn’t sold for years. Dust coated many of the items despite the shopkeeper’s attentions. A flash of light illuminated the windows for an instant, and minutes later the bell rang faintly once more.

————

A bridge overlooking a rushing river admitted travelers into and out of the city, and sometimes out of their lives. Her dress whipped around her ankles as she stared into the foaming waters, her heart broken and her life all but over. She felt worthless, at the lowest point she could ever imagine. The traffic on the bridge ignored her, and why shouldn’t they. Just a single step was all it would take. A single step.

———-

He was secretly terrified of his own choices, and yet he continued to make them exactly as he always had. He bore the scars of his efforts; the only trophies he would ever hold. With a final drag from his cigarette he slid into the back seat of the taxi, the sticky floor an odd comfort so late into the night. He offered a few bills to the driver and the man took them greedily, starting his meter and looking to the passenger expectantly.

“Just go.”

The engine revved as the driver merged into traffic, and they began to roll through the city streets. The passenger leaned on the with his chin in his hand, staring out of the window at the lives rolling by. They were all as worthless as him, but he was still their king. Money and power were his if he wanted them, but he didn’t want that he could so easily take. He had much more interesting ideas.

————-

Another night and another show. The idol slipped out of her performance gown and into a pair of worn jeans. From the pocket she produced a small bag, the contents of which she quickly injested. As she finished removing her stage apparel it kicked in, and the world swam before her. At some point her manager came and congratulated her, and her friends came to join her celebrations. It was a blur that left her alone and shivering in an oversized bed. When dawn came her composure was regained, and the process would repeat again.

So this is a modern setting centered around four characters and a single city. The idea is to choose one paragraph and bring it to life as a character, then simply exist in the city as we try to figure out how they are all connected. I’ll play any character left after three others decide to join. I hope this is interesting!

Vladmirk

Re: [Req] What is the Purpose?

Post by Vladmirk » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:42 am

Sweet, I wouldn't mind reserving a few of them, but I think I'll go with the second one.

Also, welcome to this lovely site
"I won't become your hero just to fight the life I saved"
- Child of Burning Time

CrashJr
Bronze

Post by CrashJr » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:08 am

Interesting...I'm done for this. I might have a good character for the second paragraph and the fourth.

Golden_
Bronze

Post by Golden_ » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:56 pm

I like this. I'll take whatever is left
What's the worst that can happen? Well... decapitation