[REQ] Checkmate

If you're willing to consistently post a paragraph and want more depth than casual, try this on for size. (5-10 sentences per post, on average.)
Maxx[2.0]ine
Platinum

[REQ] Checkmate

Post by Maxx[2.0]ine » Sun May 19, 2019 6:21 pm

In a distant land, there are two kingdoms: the Kingdom of Blanka, and the Kingdom of Noir. These kingdoms have been at war for nearly 1500 years. There have been many battles, and many deaths, yet no winner has ever emerged. The Kingdom of Blanka is known for its advanced technology, always the first to have major breakthroughs. The Kingdom of Noir, however, relies more on magic, and is home to some of the world's best sorcerers and sorceresses.

Brilliant things could be done if these kingdoms worked together; but alas, that seems to be an impossible reality.

The origin of this feud is unknown to most, and even those who do know, are unsure whether what they were told is even true. The story goes that there use to be a single, vast kingdom, the Kingdom of Schacci. Technology and magic were mixed, near indistinguishable from each other. Everyone happily lived side by side for centuries. Until, one and a half millennia ago, the king died and his twin sons took the throne. One twin wanted to focus on developing the technology of the kingdom, while the other wanted to focus on magic. This led to a divide between the citizens, those that supported Blanka and his technological ambitions, and those who agreed with Noir and wanted to just develop the magic of the kingdom. Many fights broke out, until the kingdom split into the two that there are now. This didn’t stop the animosity, however, and the battles back then are no different to the ones now. Tens of thousands have died in this seemingly endless war between technology and magic, and so many have forgotten its beginnings.

Despite all the warring, there are many things that the two kingdoms have in common, the main similarity being the defence system of each castle. It's limited, just sixteen people.

First and foremost is the Queen. She is the driving force behind everything that the castle does. The King may be the one the kingdom relies on, but the queen is the most powerful. She can do more than the other members of the defence system combined. The Queen of Blanka has access to the most powerful of technology, and the Queen of Noir can use the most powerful of magics. Past Queens have taken down the entire opposing side by themselves before.

Next is the King. The King of Blanka is intelligent, the one who has the majority of ideas for the new technology, and the King of Noir is the source of the magic that the kingdom uses. Neither is as powerful as their Queen, nor are they as powerful. They can give orders, but even then, the rest of the castle may not listen. However, without him, the castle would fall, and so he sits on his throne behind the wall of defence, not doing anything unless it is absolutely necessary for him to do so.

Each castle has two Bishops. They head the religions of each kingdom: the Church of Technology and the Church of Magic. They also run the schools. The Bishops of Blanka teach young children about technology, how to use and make it, while the Bishops of Noir teach magic, ensuring that each new generation in the Kingdom of Noir can eventually craft intricate spells.

In charge of strategy and defense are the Knights and Rooks. Knights are experts in fighting. The two Knights of Blanka are the best at utilizing weaponized technology, and the two Knights of Noir are masters of offensive magic. Rooks are brilliant at defense, and each know techniques relating to their own kingdoms’ specialties. The two Rooks of Blanka are masterminds when it comes defense-based technology, and the two Rooks of Noir have intense knowledge of any and all defense magics. Together, the Knights and Rooks of each castle come up with the battle strategies for their kingdoms.

At the bottom of each castle hierarchy, are eight Pawns. These are the regular soldiers, the first to attack, and usually the first to die. The Pawns of Blanka use a mix of defensive and offensive technology, but aren't as proficient with it as any other member of the castle. The same goes for the Pawns of Noir and their usage of magic. However, if a Pawn can survive through enough battles, they have the opportunity to the specialize in either teaching, defense, or attack, becoming a Bishop, a Rook, or a Knight. And, in extreme cases, they may even take on the role of a Queen. This only happens if the current Queen gets captured.

This is the way it has been for one and half millennia, the two kingdoms fighting over a long forgotten feud. But a darkness approaches. An ancient army, more than five thousand years old. These soldiers are all eerily similar, with blank faces and soulless eyes. They use arcane magics and ancient weapons, and will not stop until the entirely of the opposing force have been slain. They care not about winning, merely about killing. They listen to no one, they have no care for their comrades, they do not know mercy. And now, they are marching on the land that once formed the Kingdom of Schacci. Millennia ago, the divided kingdoms were able to withstand this powerful army, and must once more become one to do so again. Or risk becoming another forgotten part of history, defeated due to their own stubbornness.

Neither kingdom yet know the oncoming danger, but they soon will.

Rules

~ As always, keep to all sites rules
~ Romance, violence, swearing, all are allowed
~ Please do remember your grammar and spelling, people (a few mistakes are fine, but not constant ones)
~ If you've got disagreements with others, please try to keep it out of the roleplay
~ Please note that you must have at least two characters, due to the large number of spaces
~ Please note that breaking the rules will result in your character being executed for treason against their kingdom
~ If you have any questions, about the rules, ideas, or characters, don't hesitate to ask ^-^

Character Sheet Template

Name

Kingdom (Blanka/Noir)
Role (King/Queen/Bishop/Knight/Rook/Pawn)

Personality

Background

Appearance
-Those from the Kingdom of Blanka must wear white, and those from Noir must wear black
- Knights and Rooks must wear their metal armor (of the appropriate color) most of the time. Whether they add anything extra to it is up to you. The sword of a Knight is grand, as is the shield of a Rook, so include what they look like as well.
- Pawns only have leather armor to wear as protection, but it too must be the appropriate color. Again, if they add anything extra is up to you.
- Bishops are required to wear robes. They, like Pawns, have leather armor to wear, but they may wear metal instead if they are able to craft it themselves.
- The Kings and Queens wear regal attire, with a crown atop their head. The crown of a Queen is much grander than that of a King.

Extra

Characters

Kingdom of Blanka

Queen
~ reserved ~ Dani Fulton

King
~ Open

Bishop
~ reserved ~ Dani Fulton
~ reserved ~ Dani Fulton

Rook
~ Zar Punkstar ~ Tanakalian
~ Raina Jublique ~ Tanakalian

Knight
~ Luci Morste ~ Maxx
~ open

Pawn
~ open
~ open
~ Open
~ Open
~ Open
~ Open
~ Open
~ Open

Kingdom of Noir

Queen
~ Mazikeen "Maze" Lilim ~ Maxx

King
~ Edward the Umpteenth ~ Tanakalian

Bishop
~ reserved ~ HighVoltage
~ Open

Rook
~ Malek Moore ~ SweetiePie50
~ reserved ~ HighVoltage

Knight
~ Nathaniel Edwin ~ Cr25pltro6
~ Malina Moore ~ SweetiePie50

Pawn
~ reserved ~ Cr25pltro6
~ reserved ~ Cr25pltro6
~ Open
~ Open
~ Open
~ Open
~ Open
~ Open
Last edited by Maxx[2.0]ine on Fri May 31, 2019 12:10 am, edited 7 times in total.
madness is a rational response to a crazy world

you need a little bit of insanity to do great things

Check out my writing thread, if you want ^-^

Cr25pltro6

Re: [REQ] Checkmate

Post by Cr25pltro6 » Tue May 21, 2019 8:56 pm

So this is all just a game of chess? If the pieces all had sentience, and each side had a detailed backstory, and their was an all-encompassing evil.......

Count me in! Can I reserve 2 pawn characters and 1 knight character for the kingdom of blanka?
Yo I'm back. hope I can actually stay this time around.

Maxx[2.0]ine
Platinum

Post by Maxx[2.0]ine » Tue May 21, 2019 9:06 pm

Cr25pltro6 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 8:56 pm
So this is all just a game of chess? If the pieces all had sentience, and each side had a detailed backstory, and their was an all-encompassing evil.......

Count me in! Can I reserve 2 pawn characters and 1 knight character for the kingdom of blanka?
A much more deadly game of chess without actual moves but tons of death...

Welcome aboard!

Maxx[2.0]ine
Platinum

Post by Maxx[2.0]ine » Tue May 21, 2019 9:09 pm

A note to anyone else who wishes to join: why does everyone hate magic? If it isn't obvious, we do need just a few more people for the Kingdom of Noir. And by a few, I do mean basically every space other than the King and Queen.

Cr25pltro6

Post by Cr25pltro6 » Tue May 21, 2019 9:14 pm

Actually, scratch that. Could I instead choose the same characters I called but for the Noir kingdom. I wouldn't normally change it but it looks like the kingdom of Noir needs more people.

Maxx[2.0]ine
Platinum

Post by Maxx[2.0]ine » Tue May 21, 2019 9:17 pm

Cr25pltro6 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 9:14 pm
Actually, scratch that. Could I instead choose the same characters I called but for the Noir kingdom. I wouldn't normally change it but it looks like the kingdom of Noir needs more people.
Lol, yeah, alright. Looks like the King and Queen won't be so lonely xD

Maxx[2.0]ine
Platinum

Post by Maxx[2.0]ine » Tue May 21, 2019 9:20 pm

So, that now evens it out a bit, with six for Blanka and five for Noir. That's a lot better.

Cr25pltro6

Post by Cr25pltro6 » Tue May 21, 2019 9:20 pm

Awesome, I'll get started on their CS sheet.

Maxx[2.0]ine
Platinum

Post by Maxx[2.0]ine » Wed May 22, 2019 8:22 am

Mazikeen “Maze” Lilim

Kingdom: Noir
Role: Queen

Personality
Maze is a kind woman, sweet and compassionate. She always has been. She cares not for rank or social boundaries, she treats everyone with the same kindness. However, she is not a pushover. She will not let anyone get away with trying to take advantage of how she is. She is an intelligent person, and is very good at spotting toxic ‘friends’. She's kind, but won't take crap from anyone.

Background
Mazikeen was born the daughter of two married Pawns. Her parents raised her to follow in their footsteps, teaching her all they knew, alongside her regular lessons in school. She was a quick learner, and by the time she was 15, she took her father’s place as one of the eight Pawns of Noir.
She met the King properly when she was 19. Maze had obviously been around him before, but this was the first time she had spent time alone with him. In the most recent battle at that time, she had managed to take down the majority of the opposing side, by herself. As a result, the King wanted to see her privately, to congratulate her. She fell for him right away.
Not long after, she married him, becoming Queen of Noir. She quickly became known for being a powerful sorceress, and a kind, compassionate monarch.

Appearance
Maze is about five and half feet tall, of average weight, with fair skin, dark black hair and light green eyes. She most often wears a long, elegant black dress with a sweetheart neckline. Atop her head are various gems set in a black zirconium crown. These gems glow with a magical shine, even in the darkest of places, marking her out as the powerful sorceress that many know her to be.

Luci Morste

Kingdom: Blanka
Role: Knight

Personality
Luci is a vain woman, stuck up and full of herself. She often acts as if she is the smartest person in the room, even when that is very obviously not the case. She is also rather sarcastic a lot of the time. However, sometimes the combination of these two traits can lead to her being quite funny, depending on the situation. She is confident, and not afraid to speak her mind. Unless children are around. She is very awkward around children. Children are very strange creatures.

Background
As a child, Luci was adored by her parents. She was a spoiled child, to say the least. This probably hasn’t helped with her ego. Growing up, she was given anything and everything she wanted.
When she was 16, she told her parents she wanted to open a club. So two years later, she got a club for her birthday. It was a very lively place, still is. Quite a few not-exactly-legal dealings have happened there, but Luci always turns a blind eye to it.
A few years ago, when she was drunk, someone dared her to try to become a Knight. Of course she took the dare; she didn’t want her reputation ruined after all. And out of the many candidates, she was the one who became the Knight.
Despite it being the result of a drunken dare, Luci took to her new role like a duck to water. She is happy, proud, to be a Knight, and still runs her club when not on duty.

Appearance
Luci is proud of her gleaming white armor, making sure it is always polished to a shine. Everything else about how she looks, she likes to say, shows that she was meant to become a Knight from the day she was born. Her fair hair and light blue eyes stand out against her tanned skin in the same was her armor does, and she often has a white-gold headband holding her hair out of the way. What Luci loves even more than herself and her armor, is the always at her side. It’s lightweight but deadly, and has slain many opponents. The hilt is studded with jewels, one for every battle she has fought in.

Extra
Luci does not like children.

Cr25pltro6

Post by Cr25pltro6 » Fri May 24, 2019 5:15 pm

Name: Nathaniel Edwin

Kingdom: Noir

Role: Knight

Personality: If edwin were to be summed up in two words it would be scheming and malicious. Oh, it's not that he isn't kind to people in general, on the contrary, he personally funded several community buildings for peasantry that they otherwise couldn't afford. Buidings such as bars, churches, and places of healing. No, the reason people call him Malicious and scheming isn't because of his deeds, but because of the extremely numerous rumors about him.

For an example, Lord Bittersworn (a house name of minor consequence) once openly declared his desire to replace Sir Edwin as a knight. He swore to all that would listen that he would personally impress the king with his fighting prowess and become the new knight of Noir.

Normally, these talks would be dismissed as nothing more than the babble of an inexperienced and overachieving man, but this was different. For Bittersworn was actually a powerful pawn that had slew all that stood before him in battle. Be it knight, rook, or bishops, Bittersworn's sword had tasted an assortment of Blanka's higher ups. These achievements matched with the fact that he had ambition made his words hold weight.

Therefore, it was surprising to hear that Bittersworn mysteriously disappeared somewhere in the city on the day of his meeting with the king. Strangely enough, it was at one of the bars that was owned by Edwin that he was last seen at before the disappearance.

Background: Nathanial was born into a merchant family that paid their way into nobility. His parents were, of course, looked down upon by the already established noble groups who weren't happy about the way that the Edwin family gained their authority. However, the dissent from the noble classes proved useless with the vast wealth at the Edwins disposal. Brothels, Bars, Healing-men, everything essential was bought and controlled by the family.

However, there was a limit to how much they could buy of course, for if they took too much control the other noble houses would band together and strike. No, buying everything wasn't the answer that Edwins parents needed. So they locked themselves in their castle and thought for days upon days on how they could fix this issue and gather more power without inciting retaliation from other nobles. Eventually, they found their answer in their newborn son.

Yes, that's right, their son. They figured that if they groomed Edwin to become a respected and feared knight of the kingdom, they would be able to grow their power without opposition. So, they hired a mercenary of great fame to teach their son while they went to the court to call favors and pull strings to fast track their son to become a knight of the royal army.

Although, for all their careful planning and mindful scheming, the parents forgot about one crucial part of their plan: Edwin himself! Growing up in this environment, he learned how to scheme too. His blackened heart, made evil by the knowledge that he was but a simple means to an end to his parents, swore to take them done bit by bit.

Appearance
fepr_blackknight.png
fepr_blackknight.png (181.16 KiB) Viewed 178 times
( OOC DISCLAIMER: This image is not mine. All credit goes to the original artist. I am not making any monetary gains from this image, it is only being used for entertainment purposes only)

Edwin's sword is made out of pure tempered steel, normally such a sword would only be worthy of the common foot soldier. However, as a knight of the holy kingdom of Noir, his sword is infused with powerful offensive magic that allows his sword to cut through almost all armor and shields. The only way that his sword would be stopped short from a deadly swing is if a rooks shield stood in it's way or a queen blocked it with her regal armor. (Or if it was dodged of course, but Edwin doesn't like to think that is a likely possibility)

Being a gentleman of high social standing, he has also had the hilt embroidered with gold.
Last edited by Cr25pltro6 on Fri May 24, 2019 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.