[Survey] Opinions needed

RP here if you don't want to worry about guidelines or length. (4 sentences or less per post, on average.)
Monika
Casual Mod

[Survey] Opinions needed

Post by Monika » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:18 am

We don't really get to hear from you very often, so I wanted to get an idea of what you guys think of things.

Why did you pick casual?

If you have intermediate quality posts (paragraphs), why did you decide to stay here?

Have you ever thought of moving to Inter? Why or why not?

It seems I worded the previous question wrong. If asked, would you be fine with having your in progress rps moved to inter? if not, why?

I'm usually pretty good at keeping up with everything going on, but are there any thoughts or concerns on casual?

Do you know who I am?
I̞͉̣̦̟̱'̩͎̗͚͡͝d̯̲̪̜̤̖̥͟ ́҉̳̝́d̡̖͇͕̺̝́͘o͈̟̯̩̳ ̟̫̹͙͞á͔̤ǹ̶̗͕͈y̶̳̦t̛͕̫̞̟͘h̗̱͙͉̲͘͝i҉͍̘̮̗͙̙n̰̘̟g̷̶̬̻ ͇̙̻̘̦̜ͅf̧͇̞͕͉̤̝̜o̻̗͓̻̠̪͜͡ŗ̸͔͈̺̹̝̱ͅ ̬̤͍̹̬̰͞y̸̢̩̯̹̹o̸̟̻̫̭͖u҉̰͔̪͡

BlondieBoy
Bronze

Re: [Survey] Opinions needed

Post by BlondieBoy » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:12 pm

I picked casual because when I started I wasn't the best writer and I wanted a spot where I could grow at my own pace, and I felt that RPs that I created/joined were much easier to get into than something where I needed to write 4+ sentences per post when I wasn't all that confident in my own writing.

I'm at the point where I do indeed post paragraphs. I asked a moderator a long time ago why low quality content was allowed to be pushed in Intermediate, and they told me that the quantity of a request post doesn't matter. The only difference between Intermediate and Simple is that in Simple you don't have to write beyond 4 paragraphs by the site's standards, unless an owner requires more. Likewise, a request thread in Intermediate could be at a Simple level as long as they post 5+ sentences per post. Now Simple is named Casual, but I took that and I decided that the opposite could be true too. I don't have to move into intermediate in order to write paragraphs per post.

I've thought about moving to Intermediate before, yes. I've never made the move though. I've brought it up before but Intermediate feels unwelcoming. Not any particular user, but the whole atmosphere of the section just doesn't sit right with me. I don't have anything against the people who use Intermediate. I can't think of a single reason why I'd want to move to Intermediate, it wouldn't benefit me in any way. As it stands right now, Casual is a very active thread and when I post a request for an RP I can get a lot of replies to it and a lot of potential interest gets generated. I've done experiments before where I've thrown the same thread in both Casual and Intermediate, and the Casual always tends to hit while the Intermediate doesn't. Furthermore, it's become a general expectation of Intermediate that pacing is slower and I don't like that. I prefer to be active in an RP, especially if its one that I've created, and I like to get a post out each day or every other day. In Casual, its almost expected that people are pretty active so I don't see why I'd move from an environment where I'm thriving to a new environment.

When it comes to moving my RPs that are in progress I don't like the idea of it. As I said before, the answer that I got from a moderator some time ago is that Simple, Intermediate and Advanced are not meant to be ranking systems where inter and advanced are just "better" writers or something like that. Sure I may be writing at a intermediate or an advanced level, but I've got a very casual mindset. A lot of my Rps I don't write scripts for in advance. I come up with a general idea, a character I like, and then I fill it in with my cast as I go through it. Taking my rp and moving it because it fits a different writing level is wrong when that new section doesn't fit my mindset.

Thoughts and concerns on Casual, I do miss the Tag system that we had for awhile. It came to my attention that we don't even have a thread to explain what Tags are to new members so nobody who joins can really Tag unless they pick it up by looking at someone else's request thread and figuring it out.

Yes I know who you are.
Anybody can give me a compliment, but the only ones that really mean much to me are from my princess.

Cheanlenu
Location: Under your bed plotting with the voices in your head.

Post by Cheanlenu » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:59 pm

Very tough questions to answer really. I think being here all boils down to how I feel as a writer. Skill sets aside there is more to an RP than ones skill as a writer. Most of us dream, or have stories we wish to tell. There are those who wish to be in those stories as well, but do not have the skill sets for the skill of the story. That does not make them less of a person, but more like categorize them in a said group. I love people who are inspired by my stories. Who get emotional in real life by something that happens in them. That is the true joy of being a writer. I prefer casual RP section to give those gems in the rough a chance. To watch them grow and blossom into wonderful writers themselves. To watch them write their own stories, and see the love I have first hand. I was in their place once. Very few people even responded to me, and never gave me a chance to shine. I am not like them, and love to watch people become the writer they wished to be. Sure I thought about intermediate RP's. I mean who hasn't. That is not me, and I do not define myself by any tag. I am a writer who loves to tell stories, and simple as that. To tell a story you have to love that story. If you don't love it then it just becomes work. Let us all tell our stories, and make our marks on the people who wish to tell theirs. Casual, intermediate, or advance, in the end they are all stories. So why not share them with those who love to write.

Water
Bronze

Post by Water » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:30 am

Well when I came to the site (a long time ago), I wasn't nearly as experienced with writing and rping as I am now. Intermediate was completely out of the question as I didn't even think I'd be able to manage the quantity required and was fearful of judgement from others wondering why a Newbie was there. I was able to easily settle into Casual because I felt there were other people like me there.
I think especially the range of content, ideas and skills really inspired me to improve and keep up with the site. I have distinct memories of being amazed by another more experienced rpers' ideas and character depth, which really stuck me to casual.

I have Intermediate quality posts enough to be able to make the move into Intermediate, I'm pretty sure. Although my experience with Casual, as I said, has really stuck me to the section. Casual presents such a range of ideas and members that I think I'd have a hard time leaving. Many new members come to casual, as everyone knows, and I honestly enjoy interaction with most of them. For a while I've wanted to start making a true effort to interact with new members to make them feel comfortable and maybe even give them the same inspiration that I got when I was in their shoes.
I do feel welcome in casual, a lot of people I know are here and I don't have to worry about my posts being long enough for some standard. So it's a place of comfort for me where I can interact with many people and improve my rp skills and confidence without feeling pressured.

Moving to Inter is something I've thought about and attempted a couple times, although it was always a split decision when I thought to just give Inter a try for a change. It seemed like a good idea at the time because I believed that I fit the requirements. However both times just cemented my preference for casual as they were too slow and hardly got any interaction.
I feel as these problems are common for Inter, it feels far too empty and rps tend to take a while to start. Others taking three weeks to make a post may seem like a positive to some, however I can't relate and just want my rps to move at a reasonable pace. Intermediate has that lack of range which is what I like casual for.
So Inter just seems completely unappealing for me right now, it would literally give me nothing that casual doesn't already offer and in my opinion has far more negative qualities.

I honestly don't like the idea of moving posts around. I don't want my rps that were made and meant to be in casual moved to Inter just because I went over the quantity requirements. It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

As for any thoughts or concerns for casual, I'm pretty sure I've made my opinions pretty clear to you personally. I don't think there is anything too major right now, though.

And of course I know who you are!
I'm Blondie's Princess

Irate Irukandji
Inquisitor

Post by Irate Irukandji » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:04 am

I do try to make long posts, but sometimes I just can't do it for some reason.
I would go to intermediate if I knew I could consistently make paragraph long posts, but I know I can't.
"Step one, crawl inside. Step two, the screws go tight, all round. Cross my heart and hope to die, stick a needle in your eye."
Nobody suspects the RPF Inquisition.

ulfur

Post by ulfur » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:14 pm

Hallo, Monika.
I recognize you from the Inn and from your role as Moderator. I do appreciate your attention to this website.
I liked Casual because I was always afraid of committing a faux pas on the Intermediate threads, but I always aim for a paragraph length in my posts because I hate it when there are posts that do not elaborate enough or add much to the story which put the work on the rest of the writers to pick up the slack or infer what the short post could have meant.
What keeps me from leaving the puppy pool now is that I know I'm not reliable enough to keep checking the Intermediate threads and keeping pace with the rest. Maybe I will organize myself to better gauge my participation because there are such cool possibilities for group storytelling.

jehan

Post by jehan » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:20 am

I'm pretty late, but I'm guessing that the fact this is still pinned means responses are still wanted?

Why did you pick casual?
I first started on this site while looking for somewhere to supplement my main RP site; I like that this site requires character sheets to be made essentially fresh for every RP (rather than having a few character profiles with individual pages), and it gave me the chance to make new characters. I like casual because it's quicker to write responses for, so I can easily do it from my phone (instead of having to go and grab my laptop), and because it feels lower commitment. Also, the casual forum seems to be a lot more active than inter/advanced, and I can rarely find ideas on those ones that interest me, whereas the higher activity rate on casual means there tends to be at least something I'm interested in joining.

If you have intermediate quality posts (paragraphs), why did you decide to stay here?
On other sites, I regularly write 10+ paragraphs per part, but struggle to find people willing to write shorter parts (less than 2 paras) for more casual RPs, so I prefer to stick to casual on this site to get my fill of quick response RPs, which are faster paced. It's also why I tend to only join group RPs on this site - because I can't find short, quick group RPs easily elsewhere, and sometimes it's just nice to write as a group.
I also like the feeling of being able to write longer parts, but not required. Sometimes it's really helpful to write a two or three paragraph response in casual, because there's a lot happening, a character has a lot of monologue happening, or there's a scene description, but within the same RP shorter responses are sometimes better - a punchy bit of dialogue doesn't necessarily need a lot of narrative description to get the point across, and adding filler description feels like a waste of time for both me and the other players.

Have you ever thought of moving to Inter? Why or why not?
I do occasionally drift into the inter/advanced forums, but only once in a while find posts that interest me - and usually it's because they're a post that's been put in casual and inter/advanced (and at that point, I've usually signed up for it in casual already). I also don't always have the energy for the high quantity of lore a lot of inter/advanced RPs include, and I prefer to stick to RPs that only require a basic knowledge of how the real world works/perhaps a simple magic system! (I already have to constantly google things to understand the American school system - that's enough lore for me! :D )

It seems I worded the previous question wrong. If asked, would you be fine with having your in progress rps moved to inter? if not, why?
As long as the same level of commitment/writing quantity was expected, I probably wouldn't have a problem with it, although it would remove the option of sometimes writing shorter responses - even if the RP was pretty much entirely longer responses, that might make it feel more required to write longer parts, and that can sometimes make it feel like more work to respond, even if it's just writing exactly the same amount as before.
That said, it would also be kind of confusing if posts were moved around - if an RP starts in casual, it should probably stay in casual, because that's where participants expect it to be - and that's the level of commitment they agreed to when joining the game. If a higher level of commitment is suddenly required, it seems somewhat unfair to players who may have wanted to avoid that kind of commitment and therefore joined a casual game.

Do you know who I am?
I do! We've RPed together a fair amount (which is always a delight!).

jacobbrk77

Post by jacobbrk77 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:52 am

hey

Sent from my SM-N960U using Role Playing Forums v4.2.2.

jacobbrk77

Post by jacobbrk77 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:52 am

any girls who want to roleplay

Sent from my SM-N960U using Role Playing Forums v4.2.2.

Stranger Danger

Post by Stranger Danger » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:00 am

I'm new...hi~ (¯∇¯٥)

R-09...buzzinga