New member from Germany tries to introduce herself

Say hi! Stay a while. We love you.
malva

New member from Germany tries to introduce herself

Post by malva » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:13 am

Hey guys!

I'm a 19-year-old girl from Germany (as you probably already guessed), trying to improve my English by (obviously) writing!
For quite some time now I've been active in RPs, although never one in a foreign language.
I would love to improve a little and get to know some nice people :)
This platform is kinda intimidating, but I thought I’d give it a try.

Since English is neither my first language nor my second I won’t be able to compose very well written or poetic texts. I'll try my best but there will be poor vocabulary, imperfect grammar, spelling and punctuation mistakes... a lot of that. Also answers will take forever, since I am a perfectionist an thus will try to deliver as good as if I would be writing in german. Usually I like to write longer paragraphs with lots of thoughts and feelings, but I guess I will have to reduce that a bit at first.

I am open to many different genres, although I’ve never played in any fandoms. I love fantasy, a little romance is always good, too (just keep it slow and realistic. Don’t really like that love-on-first-sight-stuff) and I would like to try some sci-fi (though that might get difficult with all these technical terms…). Real life never gets me that much, just like that anime-stuff (sorry, I know that’s pretty popular, right?). I like coming up with OCs (mostly female) and putting much effort in developing them :)

Sadly I don’t even know how long I will be able to keep it up, since I am pretty busy with university and my other (german) RPGs. I still hope that I can be active enough to have a lot of fun and interesting connections!

Oh, you can call me Malva (who would have guessed that!?) or any other nickname you think of. I don’t mind, as long as I know you are adressing me.

I bet I’ve forgotten something, but I can’t think of it atm. I’ll just add it, if necessary.

Good Night!

Edit: (see, I knew I forgot something!) Of course you can just send me a message, if you are already interested. I would love to hear your ideas!

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Re: New member from Germany tries to introduce herself

Post by illirica » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:41 am

Hello and welcome to RPF! Your English is fantastic, you have nothing to worry about. We have plenty of people here from various backgrounds, and there are lots of roleplayers here who speak another language primarily as well. We'd be happy to give you an opportunity to practice. I'll give you the basics, and I'm here to answer any questions you might have.

To start off, I'll give you the link to our rules and FAQs. Check them out when you can and feel free to ask for clarification if you need it. The community here is super helpful and always great about pitching in to help new people.

If you're looking to join or start an RP, try looking in one of the "Requests" sections - there's one for casual (basic, easygoing RP), one for intermediate (a bit more effort required) and one for advanced (for when you really want to put effort in, but much slower). Any of the recent "REQ" threads in those sections are good places to get started - just take a look and see if you can find something that appeals to you. There's a huge variety of RPs on this site, and you're more than welcome to create one of your own as well.

There are also two other areas - Superhero Sandbox, which is a multi-tier comic-style universe, and a post-apocalyptic area which is just starting up. For each of those sections, you'll create a character (or characters) and weave them in and out through several different storylines. It's up to you which style of RPing is more appealing to you, and of course you're welcome to try both - plenty of us hang out in multiple areas.

I mod over at the Superhero Sandbox, and I promise we're not scary people in there even if we may appear that way. I also hang out all over the place, so I'm happy to answer any questions I can. Feel free to hit me with any inquiries and I'll do my best to answer them for you.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with, and enjoy your stay!

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:59 am

You're already far more fluent than a lot of native speakers. If you hadn't told me this wasn't your first language, I wouldn't have thought.
I look in the water and fear what I see
I know it's no stranger but I know it's not me
My life is a lie that was uttered in jest
If I can't change at all, let me rest

malva

Post by malva » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:47 pm

Thank you very much for this lovely welcome!
You both really pushed my confidence 😊❤️

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:57 pm

Hello and welcome!

I had a two week vacation in Germany a few years back, it’s a beautiful country~

And don’t worry about your English, it’s fine : )

I hope you have a lovely time here on our site
//… under her weight the floorboards gave, and she fell into the dark...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III

BlondieBoy
Bronze

Post by BlondieBoy » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:55 pm

A late hello from me, and holy cow! You've got great English capabilities already, I don't think you'll need to worry about composing your thoughts badly or anything like that. For it being a third language it's really good already!

I hope you find an RP of your liking in one of our sections, and I'm sure you'll become friends with a lot of native speakers too so that's another plus. Can't wait to see you around and watch how you can improve!
Anybody can give me a compliment, but the only ones that really mean much to me are from my princess.

malva

Post by malva » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:09 pm

UmbraSight wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:57 pm
Hello and welcome!

I had a two week vacation in Germany a few years back, it’s a beautiful country~

And don’t worry about your English, it’s fine : )

I hope you have a lovely time here on our site
Thank You!
Nice, where did you stay? Obviously i am used to germany, so I don't always see the beauty (especially in the cities. Any other country has way more aesthetically pleasing cities and villages) but there definitely are some nice spots.

I hope so, too ^^
BlondieBoy wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:55 pm
A late hello from me, and holy cow! You've got great English capabilities already, I don't think you'll need to worry about composing your thoughts badly or anything like that. For it being a third language it's really good already!

I hope you find an RP of your liking in one of our sections, and I'm sure you'll become friends with a lot of native speakers too so that's another plus. Can't wait to see you around and watch how you can improve!
Alright then I won't worry anymore. I guess im just very self-concious and perfectionistic. And PLEASE (to all of you) correct at least my major mistakes so I can learn from them.

Yes, I already found an RP I hope will be fun!
Thats so sweet, thank you very much!

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:55 am

I was around Munich, we toured all around Bavaria/the Romantic Road and checked out a bunch of the pretty castles along the way

Off the top of my head we stayed in Munich, Rothenburg, Neuremburg, Fussen, Ausburg, Wursburg

Not sure how many of those are spelled right lol
//… under her weight the floorboards gave, and she fell into the dark...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III

malva

Post by malva » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:14 am

Sounds like a really nice trip. The castles here are great :)
I've only been to Bavaria twice and Augsburg was one of them.
Thats alright. I knew which city you meant and you probably spell them a bit differently in english anyway, esp. since you don't use ä, ö and ü (is there a word for these? called "Umlaute" in german) XD

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:21 am

They are really stunning lol

It’s amazing that they don’t get talked about much, despite the fact they were the inspiration for various Disney castles

Lol I went and spelled Augsburg correctly then deleted the g, nice

I loved visiting the small towns, Rothenburg in particular was a great day trip

We also call them umlauts, but they aren’t used in English at all, beyond phonetic spellings