Aid in the city of Velenia

Rules? There are no rules! Join and leave the roleplays in this section whenever you want.
Sans_the_Medic

Aid in the city of Velenia

Post by Sans_the_Medic » Tue May 29, 2018 8:55 pm

<<Extracted from personal logs of SA Corporal Aiden Vens>>
[extract begins]
"We were sent out, my squad and a few others, to bring aid to Velenia after the city was hit by a heavy artillery strike. When our vehicles arrived we noticed almost instantly that the civilian population wasn't ready for what had happened. This city was, while somewhat near where the two warring factions were duking it out, far enough from the front line that no-one would expect an act like this. People were on edge, and it was unfortunately made worse when we rolled in with our heavy APCs and those massive damn turrets on them. We were stationed there for the following few weeks, having set up a basic FOB while out there; treating the injured, sheltering those who had lost homes, and bringing immediate aid during and after the later strikes. War brings out some of the worst atrocities in the enemy, for example shelling a city of non-combatants; however it seems it also brings out the kind and selfless, based on some of the people that had stepped up to help over the weeks we had been stationed there. Still, they shouldn't have needed to, and when I get back on the front line I'll be fighting so they don't have to do it again
[extract ends]

{Right. This RP is set in the city of Velenia during a large war between two countries on the planet Kalvot-2. The city has just suffered a massive artillery strike and the Shadow Alliance, a military group that has been hired by the side that controls Velenia to help fight the war, has sent groups - including the one that Corporal Aiden Vens is part of - to aid the damaged and disoriented city. The city is modern themed but because the general lore and IP that this is set in is multiverse spanning any character that isn't too ridiculous (e.g. able to instantly destroy the entirety of the enemy force and single handedly win the war) is allowed. This RP is, for now, intended to not focus on combat and is more a humanitarian war themed RP. Citizens that get into fights will likely make sense given the context but be aware that SA units will step in and intervene, using force if need be. This is my first attempt at starting an RP so let's hope for the best yeah?}

<Insert humorous signature here>

Give a hug? God knows my self-hating ass needs a few

Sans_the_Medic

Re: Aid in the city of Velenia

Post by Sans_the_Medic » Tue May 29, 2018 9:05 pm

{just realised I need to add some start of the RPing itself}

A few hours after the bombs fell across the city, half a dozen heavily armoured APCs rolled in, large 50mm cannons swivelling, on the side an emblem that had become common place within the multiverse - the emblem of the "Shadow Alliance". The general oppinion of the SA was varied depending on where you lived, and on Kalvot-2 it was rather mixed. Sure the SA had done many good things in it's past but never anything for this particular place, even when the two nations on the planet went to war and threw many people into danger. As such the citizens looked on with slight distrust as the APCs and the supply trucks rumbled down the streets of the devastated town. The eventually found their way to a small clearing that had been set up as a makeshift military outpost just before the war and was never really used. The dozens of SA soldiers, who normally wore black and red armour but had this time wore the armour in a lighter grey and red, exited and started setting up in the small outpost. Aiden's group was the first to arrive, and they got to work unloading the first truck as soon as it arrived. Aiden sensed an air of slight tension not just from the civilians but also from the soldiers that had seen the looks they had been getting on their drive in. He sighed and muttered to himself "this is going to be an interesting deployment."

{right, well, I'm gonna see how this goes overnight while I get some rest because it's damn late. So excuse me if I don't post further immediately}

Sans_the_Medic

Post by Sans_the_Medic » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:59 am

bump

Jhibus

Post by Jhibus » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:13 pm

A man dressed in a slightly dirty white work shirt, cheap jeans and a shemagh sat on the ledge of a low brick wall, a worn leather satchel bag hanging off his shoulder. He watched the procession of armoured vehicles trundle by, eyeing each APC as they passed. Frowning, he turned his head to a woman sitting next to him and mumbled something to her. The woman nodded and briskly walked off, heading inside one of the many buildings nearby.

Jaspar wiped a small bead of perspiration trickling from his brow as he watched the last car pass by. It was a hot day, but not enough to make him sweat. It was instead anxiety and anticipation of what was to come that had him sweating. He stood up to walk away and, after checking that no one was watching, ducked into a small alley next to the building. Tapping his foot while waiting, the woman he had mumbled to earlier exited the building she had gone into and gave him a package wrapped in brown paper alongside an old cellular phone that still had a keypad instead of a modern touchscreen. Jaspar took the encyclopaedia-sized package and phone with care, feeling rectangular bumps as he ran his hands across the package. They were a bit analogue, but they would do. Looking around nervously, Jaspar hastily put the package into his satchel and closed the bag, nodding to the woman and sliding the phone into his right pocket as he briskly walked out of the alley. He started the somewhat long trek towards where the SA military outpost was located, silently praying to whatever omnipresent being out there to watch over him.

Stealthily slipping into the start of the tree line and venturing further into the trees surrounding the clearing, Jaspar was now as close to the outpost as he dared to be. This far out into the woods no one would spot him, but just a few meters closer and he could potentially be spotted. Crouching down, Jaspar gulped as he considered his limited, high-risk options to sneak inside the outpost.
My mum only lets me drink coffee if it's decaffeinated.

Sans_the_Medic

Post by Sans_the_Medic » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:36 pm

Whilst the SA soldiers had not just yet set up any sort of guards around the gate, Aiden was setting up supplies just inside the gate that Jaspar was looking at. A young couple came up and started talking with him, saying that they desperately needed supplies as their house and everything in it was destroyed and they had kids to look after. Aiden was slightly suspicious of the fact that these kids were nowhere to be found, but none the less obliged and started sorting out supplies for the couple. While the inside of the base was busy and lively, the gate was completely unguarded at the moment due to Aiden being distracted by the couple.

Jhibus

Post by Jhibus » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:13 pm

Jaspar spotted an opening, thanking his luck. He sprinted towards the gate, ducking beside one of the numerous unpacked crates once he got into the camp. Praying that no one spotted him, he cautiously peeked over the crate to try and get a bearing on where he was in the outpost and where he would have to go.

He thought to himself as he considered different points of interest within the outpost. The vehicles were no doubt important to the SA, and without them they would lose a significant amount of mobility... but if the armoury could be a better choice. If the SA soldiers were to lose their firepower, then they could lose the ability to fight effectively. Sighing, Jaspar wished he wouldn't have to end lives today. There was too much at stake to risk going against the orders given to him however - If there was even the slightest hint of deserting, he'd never see his family again.

Making a decision, Jaspar tried to gauge the distance between himself and the parked vehicles. They were closer to him and looked like they were easier to sneak to, so he'd try and go over there. Carefully watching his surroundings, he waited until a chatting pair of soldiers strolled by before making his move. Making as little noise as possible, Jaspar inched his way behind a tent and ignored his rising anxiety. If he were to be caught now, he would be done for.

Jasper bit back a frustrated groan as he realised there was no cover between the tent he was behind and the area where the vehicles were parked. Well, there was one way he could get over there without anyone stopping him. He tried to calm himself down by taking deep breaths, preparing himself to walk in plain sight. Maybe if he acted like he belonged then nothing would happen?

Hyping himself up, he started walking away from his precious cover and towards the armoured cars in full view of anyone who happened to be paying attention.

Sans_the_Medic

Post by Sans_the_Medic » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:26 pm

All the soldiers appeared to be too busy with either unpacking or helping the civilians that were by the gates, allowing Jasper to slip by un-noticed. The issue came when he got close to the APCs that were still being unloaded, and one particularly eagle-eyed civilian saw him from Aiden's gate went and snitched, saying "wait, is that guy allowed to be there?"
Aiden looked confused for a moment "who?" he asked as he turned to find what the civilian was looking at. When he saw he shouted "HEY!", and alerted some of the people still unpacking the last few cars.

Despite being fully trained frontline soldiers as per the local government's request, they had been outfitted with the gear of peacekeeper units; so while their primary SMGs were equipped with the lethal ammo; the sidearms were stocked with the less deadly "burnout rounds" (basically baton rounds on steroids, non-lethal but will certainly drop anyone hit). The first to react was a young engineer private by the name of Jonas; who dropped the box he was holding and drew his pistol, firing a burst of two rounds that just barely skimmed by. The soldiers were not going to kill anyone in this situation, they'd been ordered to use lethal force only when absolutely necessary, but they were definitely not going to let Jasper get away with whatever he was planning

Jhibus

Post by Jhibus » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:54 am

Jasper could've sworn his heart almost stopped when he heard someone cry out "HEY!". Well, that was it, he had been detected. He jumped as he felt two bullets whizz by his shoulder, prompting him to turn tail and run back towards the way he came. Heart pounding and adrenaline coursing through his veins, he considered his options from here. He could use the other people within the camp as cover and to deter gunfire, but that plan would only work for a few moments until everyone was alerted to an intruder's presence. It would give him enough time however...

He sprinted through the outpost, pushing people and obstacles out of his way as he ran. He avoided a soldier trying to grab his arm and dodged around him, managing to keep his footing despite stumbling. Jaspar gulped and fumbled his satchel open as he ran. Grasping the brown package and old cellphone with each of his hands, he finally reached what he hoped to be a central area of the outpost next to an important looking tent. Jaspar suddenly stopped and turned around to face his pursuers, holding the package above his head in one hand and the cellphone close to his chest with a finger on the keypad. Pulling up his shemagh to hide the lower half of his face, he ignored a bead of sweat sliding down his neck.

Taking a deep breath, he opened his mouth. "NOBODY MOVE! I have enough firepower in this bomb to wipe out everything around me in a half kilometer radius!" he yelled in a strong foreign accent, turning around slowly and locking gazes with the assembled company around him. The blast radius was closer to 25 meters than half a kilometer, but no one had to know. "Do not even try and shoot me. I can press this button and send us all to hell before I die."

He kept his expression stern, cursing the slight tremble in his hands and hoping they wouldn't betray how he was feeling. How was he going to get out of this one? He had come up with some sort of negotiation soon...

Sans_the_Medic

Post by Sans_the_Medic » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:22 am

All of the soldiers stop at Jasper's yell, all turning to almost encircle him. They kept their distance, however everyone's gun was pointed right at him. From the crowd came a figure that was in a slightly different armour that the rest of the soldiers; her helmet was off and she wore a nondescript beret on her head. She walked up, a little closer to Jasper than the others but not to any distance that would seem threatening; and her hands were up in a peaceful manner. She called out to Jasper in a calm and friendly tone with a slight southern-american accent.

"Hey man, we can talk about this okay. We aren't gonna hurt you so just put the bomb down; I'll get my guys to lower their guns but I need you to do that first, alright?"

Meanwhile, the civilians that heard Jasper's threat had mixed reactions; some stood in stunned silence at what was going on, others ran. The couple that had distracted Aiden whispered to him "what's happening, are we gonna die?". Aiden turned his head to them, crouched down with his gun pointing to the ground as he didn't see Jasper from his position "You'll be fine, I highly doubt that those guys will let our bomb-toting friend actually detonate it."

{I suggest quickly skimming through the text document linked in my signature if you haven't already, just because there may be things that I use that are mentioned as standard there that I forgot to mention in my opening thing.}

Jhibus

Post by Jhibus » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:04 pm

Out of the frying pan and into the fire, were Jasper's thoughts as he regarded the situation. The woman in front of him spoke calming and soothing words, a stark contrast from the countless gun barrels trained on him. His left arm was already getting tired from holding up the paper-covered explosive above his head.

He entertained the idea in his head. Giving up for his own safety? Plausible... But then he'd never see his family again - They'd be torn to shreds alive, or worse. That option was promptly crossed off the list. His last resort would be to activate the cellphone detonator in his right hand and kill everyone around him, himself included, but that would kill dozens of innocent civillians and wasn't sounding good to his self-preservation instinct. He had chosen the vehicles as a target because that would've dealt a blow to the SA presence here while limiting the amount of fatalities. He clenched his teeth and continued raising the bomb above his head, mind racing for any possible alternatives.

A few seconds later, he relaxed his jaw as he came up with an answer. He'd tell the truth and spill why he was doing this, and sell out his bastard employer too. A hopefully win-win situation.

Jaspar locked eyes with the woman and began speaking. "I want to trust you, miss. But if I surrender, how do I know your men will not kill me the moment I let go of this detonator? There is no way to guarantee that in any measure. Instead, I'll just ask you all to hear me out first. Tell me... have you ever heard of the Velenian Trade Federation?"