Inquisitorial Mandate (prelude to upcoming rp)

The pen is mightier than the sword! Take a pen to a sword fight and see. RPF staff holds no responsibility for injury.
LunaHawk

Inquisitorial Mandate (prelude to upcoming rp)

Post by LunaHawk » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:05 pm

+++Date: 9000112.m42

+++Ref: Kar/9834571/GOV

+++By: Lord Governor Vantasus, Karnia, Karnian System, Karnian Sub-sector, Segmentum Pacificus

+++To: Lord Admiral Adrommitan, Battlefleet Karnian, Imperial Navy

+++Re: The Disappearance of the Hadrian Hive

+++Thought of the day: The Emperor Protects

Lord Admiral, I must report to you on a matter most alarming. To be truthful I do not know who else to send this to, I hope perhaps your greater influence in the Imperial Court might have acquired the sort of contacts that might know what to do about it. You see, Lord Admiral...we seem to have misplaced...a Hive City.

Two days ago the whole planet went dark, every lumen, every datastream, every cogitator, every servitor, shut down right across the planet. We feared for a moment that the Noctis Aeterna but a quick check with our Astropaths informed we still maintained contact with the Imperium at large, only our technological systems were shut down. Local Adeptus Mechanicus members under the direction of Magos Belari spent forty eight Terran hours attempting to decipher the problem. Without explanation the power and systems returned to active life at the end of this span. We checked in with the Arbities forces stationed at each Hive and discovered disturbances but nothing of significance. Except...

Well, Lord Admiral forgive me for this but...well...one of our Hive Cities has simply...vanished. I do not know what to make of it. Where once there was a city teeming with billions of souls there is now, of all things...a forest. It is as if a piece of our planet has changed locations in time. Short of the God Emperor, may he eternally guide us, I am at a loss as to who to contact, or even where to begin an investigation. What would I investigate? None the less I have dispatched our local garrison to secure the site and investigate what they can. So far they have no information to share with me and thus, I have nothing to pass on to you.

May the Emperor find you in glory, yours honorably, Lord Governor Vantasus.

+++Date: 9000112.m42

+++Ref: Ter/654391/INQ

+++By: Inquisitor Eccenti, Ordo Chronos

+++To: Lord Governor Vantasus, Karnia, Karnian System, Karnian Sub-sector, Segmentum Pacificus

+++Thought of the Day: In His perfection, we are made perfect.

Lord Governor, I have received your message as forwarded to me by the Lord Admiral. Do not investigate further. Cease all activities. Secure the area and instruct your forces to remain outside of a two square kilometer zone. Do not enter this zone, ensure they understand entry into the zone will result in their subsequent execution. I have sent my Interrogator ahead of me along with certain members of my staff, provide lodging for them and stay out of their way.

I repeat, do not investigate further.

-Inquisitor Eccenti, Innocence Proves Nothing.
524f901f134e51f7271e08512be9349d.jpg
524f901f134e51f7271e08512be9349d.jpg (80.67 KiB) Viewed 212 times

LunaHawk

Re: Inquisitorial Mandate (prelude to upcoming rp)

Post by LunaHawk » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:26 am

I am Inquisitor Lunaria Eccenti of the Ordo Chronos. I am a Puritan, a guardian of the Emperor's Holy Timeline. To my order falls the protection of history, the protection of the present...and the defense of the future. When a fleet is lost in time and exits in the wrong era, it is the Ordo Chronos who cleans up. When an Ork unknowingly creates a paradox, it is the Ordo Chronos that cleans up. When a Chaos fanatic attempts to win the present by changing the past, it is the Ordo Chronos that stops them. Everyone in the Holy Imperium is aware of the existence of the Inquisition. Most know little more than to fear us, they know legends. Some know there are three Ordos, the Ordo Hereticus, the Ordo Malleus and the Ordo Xenos. Few, quite few, are aware of the existence of the Ordo Minora and even fewer of the specific Ordo Minoris, the Ordo Chronos. There was a time, not so long ago, when this meant I had few resources. I had to improvise early and often. Where many Inquisitors can call on entire forces of Inquisitorial Storm Troopers, they were withheld from us.

Things are different now, though...not as different as I might hope. I stand on the bridge of the Plundering Light, a Rogue Trader vessel that is currently taking me on the last leg of the trip to Holy Terra. I stand on the bridge, hands clasped behind my back, spine straight, orange eyes gazing out of the view screen at the head of the ship's cavernous bridge. Terra dominates the viewer, a ball of filthy brown hanging in the void. The brown orb is surrounded by platforms, defense stations and space docks large enough to view from the ground and countless millions of defense troops live in orbit. The space around Terra is choked with ships from across the Imperium, ranging from trade ships to massive military vessels that looked for all the world like a space faring cathedral.

Below the brown layer of toxic atmosphere is an inferno of a world, always sweltering, always dim, poorly lit by the sun that struggles to penetrate millennia of toxicity. The planet is dead, has been for thousands of years, perhaps longer and every inch of its crust has long been covered by a world city, a vast construct of towering Hive Spires and slum wastes, a cathedral to humanity's desolation. Billions are stacked upon billions on a world where a single shriveled grape costs more than most will acquire in tens of life times. There though, there in the middle of the slums and the oppression and the towering Ecclesiarcial edifices and the clouds of pollution exists the vast complex of the Imperial Palace and its absurdly tall walls. Within the palace, at the heart of a psychic storm, exists the reason for it all...the God Emperor of Mankind. He watches us, he guides us through his tarot and the actions of the Imperial Regent and High Lords of Terra. He guides the light of the Astronomicon so that we may pass through The Warp and travel the stars...and he suffers immensely and without end...so that reality and humanity may yet endure. He sits on the Golden Throne, it's arcane energies maintaining his life essence at the cost of ten thousand psykers a day. Without him...everything, not just the Imperium, but everything, would end. Chaos would win. One man against the Universe, a God alone.

Today I make a special journey. I leave the bridge of the ship and my pilot takes me in my Gun Cutter to the Imperial Palace space port. From there I make my way by speeder over the huge crowds towards the rebuilt Lion's Gate. The crowds are immense, beyond immense, immeasurable, beyond human comprehension. Aside from the billions upon stacked billions who live on Terra there are yet billions more pilgrims who stand in ceaseless ques in a never ending pilgrimage towards the Lion's Gate, towards the palace, towards the great Cathedrals. Most will never make it, most will die, either from age or from circumstance. Their children, grand children and great grand children might just make it, whole generations will be born and die in these ques, all the while preached to by countless auto-priests and they do it gladly.

We make clearance beyond the Lion's Gate and into the palace grounds itself. The palace is not one building, it is a city unto itself where the wealthiest and most powerful in the Imperium entire live, work and die. Beyond it all, in its heart, the psychic storm over head lies the monumentally titanic Sanctum Imperialis...the heart of everything. As we approach I move to the cockpit of the speeder and cast my gaze out of the viewer. I have never been this close. To see it is a once in a million life times opportunity. It takes my breath away and makes my heart race. I place my hands over my heart in the sign of the Aquilla and mutter a soft prayer to the God Emperor of Man.

The speeder lands, none can fly closer. I depart and walk the rest of the route to the Palace itself where at long last I meet the man who has summoned me. Summoned me...an Inquisitor. Aside from higher ranking Inquisitors only two men in the entire galaxy can do that. The God Emperor, who has never seen fit to grace me with his mind, and Roboute Guilliman, the Imperial Regent, he who speaks with the mouth of the Emperor, his living avatar. Except...he does not meet me. I am met instead by a single towering Custodian, a man...if you can call someone nine feet tall merely a man, decked out in obtusely ornate golden armor covered seemingly from head to toe in Eagles. He carries a spear twice my height in one hand with the same effort it would take me to lift an empty dinner plate. He says nothing, he merely turns from me and begins to walk. I follow.

It is only now, these many weeks after these events that I can even speak of what happened next. I saw it. No...that is not right. I felt it.

We passed deeper and deeper through the Palace proper until we arrived at a titanic stair lined from one end to the next in moldering banners. It was here that I first began to feel it. Fear, dramatic, overriding...fear. I am an Inquisitor, I do not know fear, but I felt it hear, it was like a weight pressing in on my lungs and squeezing the breath from my body. With every step it grew stronger and soon enough it was joined by another feeling...horrific and terrible pain beyond the human ability to withstand. It pushed against my psychic mind even as we came to stop at the most holy edifice in the entire Imperium.

I stared at it, unblinking, unthinking. Beyond this gate lie the approaches to the Golden Throne itself. Beyond this gate...a god. The God. I realized in that moment the pain and suffering that tormented my mind was not my own. It was...it was...His. This is what it felt like, a fraction of it, to sit eternally on the Golden Throne, using every ounce of spiritual might to fight off the End of Days. I didn't realize until I reached up to my face that I was crying.

The gates...opened.

Out strode two figures, the massive stoic form of Roboute Guilliman himself and beside him, the Captain General of the Custodian Guard.

"Inquisitor." Guilliman said cooly.

"We are aware of the situation on Karnia. We must speak." The Captain General said, motioning beyond.

"In there?" I ask, my voice trembling.

"Not...quite so far, but beyond this gate, where we will have absolute assurance of security." Guilliman explained. I followed them inside...the gates shut. Somewhere, beyond where we spoke. He listened and he suffered.

LunaHawk

Post by LunaHawk » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:59 pm

Interrogator Calisa stood quietly and simply listened. She was not wearing her armor but was instead dressed in a simple long grey cloak with a hood cast over her head, hiding her jet black hair and casting the hard features of her face into shadow. Her hands were overlapping one another on the head of a void black cane who's internal functions were concealed by its simple appearance. The rest of her body was covered in simple clothing suggesting a pilgrim or priestly woman, it concealed many of her features and drew little attention. It also concealed the archaeotech pistol strapped to her left hip. Her position slightly behind and to the left of the youthful Ship Master Anderson Colak who's absurdly ornate clothing did much to project wealth and power and it was his right as a ship master. Her position had been carefully chosen to suggest she was both unimportant.

The ship master fidgeted with one of a dozen rings and the lumens of his cargo bay cast glittering reflections off the gold Aquilia hanging from a platinum chain around his neck. His white silk shirt alone was worth more than most Imperial citizens would see a dozen life times and the long red high collared over coat over it was itself made from leather Calisa was certain was from the world of Atrix. That was significant because Atrix, a planet once famous for its leather crafting and the animals raised specifically for that purpose, had been destroyed six thousand years ago. Colak was young, but he was fabulously wealthy and his ship was fast, very fast. Right now though it was very slow, very slow because they had dropped out of The Warp and into Real Space for resupply only to find the world of Dominion's Edge and it's orbiting station was run by an extremely agitating, extremely paper work bound Administrator. Just now, Ship Master Colak was arguing and gesticulating, waving a ring heavy hand through the air in frustration while practically screaming at the Dock Master.

"I am sorry sir, I truly am, but every ship docking here must be inspected for contraband, tagged and profiled before it can move on. This is standard procedure here at Dominion's Edge. If you do not calm down I will need to involve station security." The patient fat man who ran the inspections was saying calmly.

The Ship Master sighed. "How long will this take?" He asked.

"Three weeks." The Inspector General replied with stone faced calm.

"THREE WEEKS?!" An exasperated castigation.

"Sir, are you in a hurry?" The Inspector General questioned suspiciously.

"I have passengers who are in a hurry to get to where they are going, a three week delay is..."

The Inspector general cut him off. "Passengers?" He asked and looked down at the dataslate in his hand. "Sir, your vessel is registered as a trade ship, not a passenger vessel. I am afraid I will have to take this to my superiors, mis-representation of your vessel's purpose is..." He trailed off, because the woman he had been ignoring had suddenly stepped forward and put a hand on the Ship Master, pushing him back a step in the process.

Interrogator Calisa spoke in a voice that sounded like a snake slithering over silk. "This vessel is on official Imperial business, directly carrying members of the Adeptus Administratum and Adeptus Ministorum. You sir, are intervening in the God Emperor's work." It was a lie, but it was a lie intended to conceal the passage of Inquisitorial personnel.

"The God Emperor waits like everyone else. He created rules and ques of his own, inspections are part of Imperial life. I am sorry that the other worlds you have visited have been inappropriately loose with protocol." The Inspector said.

Calisa's eyes narrowed like a viper's.

"Please repeat what you said. The first part." She spoke with dangerous venom in her words.

"The God Emperor waits like..." He froze. There was a pistol pointed at his face...he had no idea when she head reached for it or even here it had come from.

"Say it. Again." Calisa said coldly.

The Inspector's face went deathly pale. "I...I...didn't mean literally...I just meant...well so many people say they are on the Emperor's business..." Calisa kept the gun level with his face. He was fairly certain now that she was a member of the previously mentioned Adeptus Ministorum and was dangerously close to calling him a Heritic. He was right about that last part.

"Regulation says I should kill you." The Interrogator said cooly. "How do you feel about regulations now?"

He stammered, none of his words made any sense. She wrinkled her noise briefly as she realized he'd just pissed himself.

"Finish your inspection. You have twenty four hours or my own regulation will be attended to." The Interrogator said. She lowered her weapon back into the sheath inside of her robes. She turned on her heel in a flair of cloaks and robes and strode out of the room. The Ship Master followed after her swiftly.

"Throne! That was incredible." He said.

Interrogator Calisa shifted her sharp gaze to him as they walked, boots clacking against the metal decking. "Do your job." She said simply and increased her pace.
----------------------------------------

Two weeks later Interrogator Calisa stood in the same clothing on a grass plain surrounded by toxins and industrial pollution on an unimaginable scale. In the distance she could see one of the towering edifices of a Hive City.

The grass plain was entirely out of character with its surroundings. The toxic sky and industrial pipes that connected one towering city to the next, the sludge seas and acid plains should have killed it all the moment after it appeared. She crouched down, ignoring the array of men standing behind her as she ran a gloved hand over the grass. Real grass. On a Hive World. Where a Hive City with its billions of souls, it's toxic pollution, it's promethium sumps and waste slums...and there was grass.

She cocked her head and glanced back at the skyline where the towering city should have been located.

"How long has she been staring at it?" Someone asked from behind her.

"Two days." Someone replied. "And the entire time her withered old Savant has been making notes and her Astropath has been just...sitting there."

"General." The Interrogator spoke for the first time in forty eight Terran hours. "How many of your people have been beyond the grass line?"

"My command staff and I personally deployed two thirds of the Regiment into the area where the HIve City had been looking for any sort of clue as to what happened, some sort of Chaos or Xenos presence, anything." A man perhaps fifty years older than her said.

"I see. Did you find anything?" She asked, rising to her feet, her back still to them.

"Two dozen men vanished and we pulled back to the perimeter you see today. Some of them came back...they were...I don't know how to put it sir. They were...thin, like ghosts almost, you could see through them sometimes..."

She nodded, as if expecting that answer. "And these men, where are they now?"

"They're in the Regimental Infirmary under armed guard."

She nodded and turned around to face him. "Please indicate the highest ranking man here who has not been across the line."

"Oh, that would be Sergeant Xander sir. He's new to the Regiment from off world and just arrived with Influx when this happened. He helped establish the perimeter."

She nodded again with a look to a Sergeant who looked no older than eighteen, his grey carapace armor with urban camo fit loosely in place and his face was...young...so young. She breathed. "General, the Emperor appreciates your service." Her gun came out without warning and fired, a beam of blazing light flashed out and the General's head exploded. Everyone jumped in shock. She kept shooting, every shot hit someone square in the head until a dozen bodies lay with smoking neck stumps on the ground. The entire command staff. She turned her eyes to Sergeant Xander who cowered back from her, terrified almost out of his wits.

"Take as many men as you can without breaking the perimeter and execute every single man and woman who has been across this line." She said, pointing to where grey, cracked and murdered earth gave way to bright green grass. "Except for the men in the Infirmary." She added, almost as an after thought. For a moment he simply stood there, stunned. His eyes fixated on the Inquisitorial Rosette hanging from her neck. For a moment she thought he might fail her, then he snapped to attention and formed the sign of the Aquilla over his heart.

"The Emperor expects!" He exclaimed.

Interrogator Calisa smiled and put a hand on his shoulder. "The man who doth not question, sees." She nodded approvingly, returned the sign of the Aquilla and walked past him. Her Savant and Astropath fell in line behind her.

LunaHawk

Post by LunaHawk » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:02 am

+++Date: 9001112.m42

+++Ref: KAR/654391/INQ

+++By: Interrogator Calisa, Ordo Chronos

+++To: Inquisitor Eccenti, Ordo Chronos

+++Thought of the Day: Blessed is the simple mind that does not question.

My Lord, it is with great regret that I inform you...your suspicions have proven correct. He is here. Or rather...he was here. My preliminary investigation has revealed a number of Astra Militarum soldiers who were caught in the {redacted}. They suffer the same malady as every other individual we have come across who has undergone the same {redacted}. The damage he has done may or may not be reversible, we will not know without traversing the threshold ourselves.

I have destroyed the Imperial Guardsmen exposed to the {redacted} as well as those too near to the threshold. The remaining Regiment continues to secure the active perimeter. I recommend deployment of The Asset with any team you send.

Humbly, Interrogator Calisa.

PS. If the damage spreads?

+++Date: 9001112.m42

+++Ref: TER/654391/INQ

+++By: Inquisitor Eccenti, Ordo Chronos

+++To: Interrogator Calisa, Ordo Chronos

+++Thought of the Day: If we walk in His light, we cannot fall into shadow.

Interrogator Calisa,

I have dispatched The Asset ahead of me, along with other members of my staff. I expect to leave Terra within the month.

If the damage spreads there is only one solution. Exterminatus Extrimus.

-Inquisitor Eccenti.

LunaHawk

Post by LunaHawk » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:31 am

Lord Governor Vantasus was furious, no, furious was not the word, he was...beyond reason, enraged to the point of doing something very, very stupid. He stood next to Interrogator Calisa at the edge of the now infamous grass line, a plethora of hangers on and simpering subordinates, along with his not insignificant personal guard, stood behind and around him. He had to this point completely ignored the absolutely huge figure in a black robe that stood beside the Interrogator, he even ignored the giant shrouded box on a grav lifter being arranged by members of the Astra Militarum. His focus was on the Interrogator, the woman that was entirely responsible for putting the economy of his entire world on the brink of collapse.

The fact that she was gazing out at the grass while he gesticulated wildly and shouted at her was only pushing him closer to ignorance. "Throne damn it Interrogator, listen to me when I speak to you!" He shouted, stepping forward. The huge thing in robes moved like a breeze, suddenly between the two of them. The Lord Governor's eyes widened when his eyes were suddenly staring at the giant's robed chest instead of the short woman with all the power and none of the answers.

"No." She said calmly. The huge figure stepped aside again. "Lord Governor, I understand your anger, your nobles are eating fewer birds and fruits than they did a few months ago. You probably even noticed that a lot of your other people are starving. I'm sure you've heard reports from the Adeptus Arbites complaining about an increasing in lawless activity in the Hives. I understand. It was not an easy choice for me to turn all trade vessels away and quarantine your world."

"But Interrogator, trade is the life blood of this planet!" He protested.

She removed a black cylinder from her belt, calmly opened it and removed a parchment scroll from within. She unrolled it and handed it to him.
"I intend to get to the bottom of what is going on here before my Mistress puts this into effect."

His eyes fell on the neat script.

"In fealty to the God-Emperor, (our undying Lord) and by the grace of the Golden Throne, I declare Exterminatus upon the Imperial world of Karnia. I hereby sign the death warrant of an entire world and consign twenty billion souls to oblivion. May Imperial Justice account in all balance. The Emperor protects."

The Lord Governor nearly fell to his knees and would have had two of his guards not rushed in and supported his collapsing weight. He straightened a little and, his face sheet pale, handed the scroll back to the Interrogator.

"You will notice, she has not yet signed it." The Interrogator said as she slid the scroll back in its case and placed it back on her belt. "I think you will agree that a little suffering now is better than everyone dying later. Virus bombs, Melta Lances...The Atomic Atrocity...I'm sure you don't want to be on the receiving end of that." He nodded meekly.

"How...how can it be that bad?" He stammered.

She looked out at the missing Hive city. "Because my Lord Governor, we are looking at a scar on reality and if we do not find its source and resolve the problem...this world will wish it was dead." Interrogator Calisa pointed to the grass. "It has been five thousand years since grass last grew on this world. Suffice to say you were justified in calling for aide and now that aide is here in the form of the Ordo Chronos. Now, if you will excuse me. I would like to return to my study in your Hive City. Thranis here will ensure the protection of The Asset until Inquisitor Eccenti arrives."

She motioned to the shrouded box. Six guardsmen were pushing it on a grav lifter. As they neared the huge figure moved them aside with a push of his hand, grasped the hand rail of the mighty grav lifter in one hand and pushed it forward as if shopping for groceries.

"One man?" The Lord Governor inquired.

"One Hound." She corrected with a half smile. "of war." She added and started back towards the waiting transports.

The Lord Governor's grasp on foggy Imperial history was too...well..foggy...to understand the significance of the name. It was better that way.

Ignorance, after all, was bliss.