Orion Incarnate

The pen is mightier than the sword! Take a pen to a sword fight and see. RPF staff holds no responsibility for injury.
Orion_Genesis99

Re: Orion Incarnate

Post by Orion_Genesis99 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:20 am

I stood in the stable wearing my armor, tightening the straps to Tundermere's saddle. He was giddy and excited, almost as if he thought we were leaving again. He loved to gallop, and the travels were his lifeline. As Elias walked into the stable and handed me a tight shortbow and a quiver so packed with arrows it looked as if it would break, his happy attitude seemed to dim like a fire running out of wood. I strapped the quiver around my waist, testing the draw on the bow as I smiled as I made sure the quiver wouldn't catch on my sword under the cloak. I had it pushed off to one side to expose the arrows, and it felt awkward, as if I were a lord with a fine sash. It made me feel uncomfortable, for expensive living was not my taste. I looked at Elias. "How big exactly is Black Thunder?"

He was busy saddling a mare, and didn't look away from his task, "From local records and sightings, he's about 3,000 pounds, and standing, he's twice as tall as you are. His paws are thrice the size of my head."

I sighed, mounting Tundermere and crossing my arms. "Why do you want him?"

He laughed. "It's simple. The meat on that bear would feed the entire village for at least 4 months, which is more than enough for winter," he finished the last strap and mounted, giving me a pitiful look mixed with a smirk, "Besides, you riding back into the village with that monster's pelt on your back will set things straight. People fear Black Thunder. He destroys farms... murders children... if you kill him, no more problems will arise, and these next few days will be a lot smoother for you."

My hand moved to Gwen's dagger, which was strapped at my waist. If I could win over the locals, I might have a better chance to focus on more important things, like planning the next leg of my traveling, and maybe...

I shook my head to get the thought out of my mind, then looked at Elias to nod at him. "Time to hunt a monster."

Elias grinned. "Aye. Let's ride."

We guided our horses out of the stable, and Gwen closed the stable doors. She walked over to her father and whispered something to him, wishing him good luck, I assumed. Then, she approached me. She held a strand of cloth in her hand. She held it out to me, "A good luck charm."

I took it from her and tied it around my bare left hand, my sword hand, gripping hard to make sure the tie was good. "Thank you."

"You had better return unscathed. You and father."

I smiled. "You have my word. No harm shall come to us, be it from beasts or men."

She smiled and walked away, and we kicked our horses into gear, galloping out of town to the west. I fell in behind Elias, intent to follow him the whole way there and back home.

Home?

I had not thought I would call this place home. This small village, with the exception of two fair people, seemed to hate me. I could not blame them. T'was my aggression that caused their emotions to sour. I sighed, one hand on the reins, the other on the hilt of the dagger. At least I had found good people... no... good friends... perhaps more with one of them, though it might be bad if I push for something with her. I was a traveler. My place was not in her home, but on the road. I stared at Elias's back as we rode. He was leaned in as he rode, focused as he neared the home of the beast. What would he say if I said I could not accept his daughter's feelings? My left hand tightened. I knew he meant well, even knew he was torn in that situation, but he would always put his daughter first, as he should.

I felt a chill in the air, colder than most, and I stiffened. Something did not seem right. I whistled to Elias, and he slowed, as did I. He seemed on edge. He felt it, too. I came next to him as we trotted down the path. "Do you feel that? The chill in the air?"

He nodded. "Aye. Something isn't right."

I looked around us. the road was edged by a dense forest on either side, and it was hard to see through the treeline. I drew my sword, the rasp echoing through the air, and twirled the blade in my hand. I was prepared for a fight. I had a promise to keep. "How far are we from our destination?"

"Should be a good walk from here."

I nodded and stopped Tundermere, dismounting and doing a short perimeter check around us.

a rustle of leaves out of place from the others, and a snapping twig...

I hunched down, sword at the ready. My other hand flew to the dagger's hilt, ready to draw if necessary. Elias approached me, arrow nocked in bow. "Let's tie the horses and enter the forest," He whispered, "We'll wait a few minutes under cover, and if all seems right, we'll continue on."

I nodded, grabbing Tundermere's reins and tying him off to a thin tree to the right of the road, opposite the noise. Elias tied his mare off on the same tree, and we entered the forest. We took a few steps in, and we crouched down. I sheathed my sword and took my bow in hand, which was laced diagonally around my chest. I nocked an arrow and tested the draw one final time. We waited for what seemed like half an hour, and just as I was about to stand, three men broke the treeline opposite us. I drew a sharp breath and glanced at Elias, who was prepared to draw his bow. I watched as they walked over to the horses. Tundermere knew I wasn't far, so he didn't protest when one of the cretins opened one of the saddlebags. I knew I should have left those at the inn, I thought, raising the bow and preparing to draw. The man dug around in the bag. He pulled my book from it first, throwing it to the ground and digging around more. I gasped when he pulled the next item from the bags.

The pipe Elias had told me to hide.

The man looked upon the symbol and immediately dropped it pointing to it and rambling nonsense to his friends. I hesitated no longer. I drew the bow as far as I could and loosed the arrow. In my peripherals, I saw Elias take my queue and do the same. It took no time for my arrow to find it's bullseye in the side of the man's knee. He screamed and fell to his knees, holding the arrow tightly as he tried to pull it from his leg, though it had went straight through, and poked out of the other side of his knee. Elias's arrow hit another man in the arm, piercing his forearm. The man grabbed the arrow as he cursed. "Shite," Elias mumbled, "I missed."

My mouth twisted into a angered grimace as I laced the bow back around my chest and drew my sword, standing and rushing from the tree line. All feeling had left me, and I drew within myself. My first swing took the kneeling man's head, and it fell to the ground as his body fell with it. The next strike impaled the other injured man's chest, and I pulled it to the side, making it pull free from the side of his ribcage. He fell in a mist of red mist. "Have mercy!" The other man called, but I had none to spare. I sliced at the man's knee, halving his leg. He was forced to sit down, grasping the nub where his leg was used to be. He began to cry. "We had known you were going hunting, so we planned to scare you off! Make you leave the village! Please, I have a family!"

I frowned. "You surrendered your life when you left the village on your task. All actions have consequences."

I walked around the man, kneeling down behind him and placing the blade of my sword on his neck. I gripped the blade with my free hand. "As the gods judge those who perish, your judgement will take you to the pits of Dehlreim itself, where not a soul will hear you scream."

I pulled the blade toward my chest. The man's head fell to the ground, and his limp body fell to the side. I stood and swung the blade, wiping the blood from it and sheathing it. As I looked over the dead men, Elias emerged from the trees, a limp in his step and his face pale. "I had not known you to be so... cunning, boy."

I only glared at him. "They chose to toil in things they should not have. My blade strikes true, and here they lay, their souls damned for the rest of time."

He only shook his head. "I have seen a side of you I will see for many nights to come. Though I still respect you, I now fear you as well."

I began to feel sorrow. I only meant to hold my promise. I picked my thrown things up and placed them back in their rightful place, glaring at the pipe for a long moment before bagging it and closing the bag. Perhaps it was to happen eventually. I knew the world to be a terrible place at times, but I did not want to be part of the chaos. Only to edge around it and strike at it if necessary. I watched as Elias prayed for the men, his hands clasped and his eyes closed. I pitied him. He had known these men. Perhaps he hadn't wanted to be so brutal. Only to maim, as I had done in the inn. This might have crossed the line with him.

A tree breaking under pressure, twigs shattering and leaves billowing. The horses grew fearful...

I watched as the trees behind Elias began to move to either side, and a pair of glowing orange eyes broke in the shadows. A guttural growl escaped the forest, and it began to run toward us. "ELIAS, MOVE!" I called, but it was too late. I watched as A enormous black bear, a scar on it's right eye and sword marks and matted fur covering its body, broke the treeline, and ran straight through Elias. I tried to run toward him, wanting to push him out of the way, for the bear to take me instead. I felt a burning in my body, an unimaginable pain. I keeled over as it grew, looking to my left hand as a spark flew from my palm.

A black flame, so dark it seemed to eat away at the sun's light itself. That was the last thing I saw before I blacked out.
thy art shall perish

Orion_Genesis99

Post by Orion_Genesis99 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:13 am

I sat on my knees in the midst of a burning field, loosely gripping my sword which was covered with blood. My body ached, and my head hurt. My right arm bled, and an arrowhead was lodged in my left leg, but I continued to fight. I looked on the horizon. The mountains were drenched in a soupy red color, accented by the black of smoke from fires burning in the distance. All around me, dead bodies. I was the only soul around for miles. I looked straight ahead, and, rising from the midst of bodies, a silhouette surrounded by purple and black flames. I felt a calm wash over me, yet I knew this silhouette meant my death and nothing more. I only closed my eyes and accepted my fate as a sharp pain rose from the center of my chest. Suddenly, everything felt lighter, as if I would float away like a feather in the wind. I was happy as my vision faded to black, and what simple thoughts I had went away into nothingness.

I woke up laying in the road on my chest. I pushed myself up with a groan. My head pounded, and my body ached. I looked around. The horses were calm, still hitched to the tree. Two of the three dead men lay in the street, and as I looked around, I spotted Elias patting overturned ground, I stick crudely marking what I assumed was a grave. I looked to my right, and my eyes fell upon a humongous bear, a singed hole in both its chest and where its face used to be. I held my head as I stood, leaning left and right as I tried to gain my balance. I felt the weight of my sword in my left hand and moved to sheath it. "Elias... what..."

He stood and glanced at me. The look on his face said it all. "Tell me, boy. You ever read that tome you carry?"

I nodded.

"Do you remember what it says about the end times?"

I shook my head. My head ached too much to try to remember.

"Aye... there was a prophecy... 'T'is the return of the dark power that will anger Vorias. T'is the dark power that he will return for one final time, for that was his power, and with this power, he will destroy the known world,' He looked at the grave, "You... you are the Harbinger."

I could only shake my head once more. I couldn't take him seriously, yet... I looked at the bear again. "That is what I used to..."

"Aye. You saved my life. For that, I am grateful, but... I cannot have you in the inn any longer. You will only bring suffering upon us."

I didn't protest. I understood his reasoning. He only wished to protect what he loved. I thought of Gwen. She would be sad to not see me return with him, but at some point, she would understand, too. I shuffled over to Tundermere, who knew of my pain and allowed me to lean on him for a moment before I unhitched him. I looked to Elias again. His face was pale, but he held a pitiful expression. I opened a saddlebag and pulled my coin purse from it. I tossed it to him. HE caught it, and only glared at it. "Elias... my friend... thank you for all you have done for me. Please... tell Gwen I said goodbye and... I'm sorry."

I mounted, but before I could tap Tundermere, I felt something in the air. I could not tell myself to move, and a thundering voice rang through the air. "My children, please, hear my pleas."

I looked to my left, and at the center of the road, a man appeared. He was tall, much taller than I. He stood at eye level with me as I sat on my stallion. He had a shaven head, runes tattooed both on his face and scalp that glowed in a golden aura. He wore silken white robes with a crab embroidered on them. He stood in the midst of a bright golden glow that matched the runes and his eyes, which were trained solely on me, though he glanced at Elias. "Please, my children, hear my words. Stay and listen to me."

Elias kneeled, bowing his head to him. I could only sit and stare. "Who are you?" I asked.

The man smiled. "I am Ceilron, God of Celrot, though, as times toil through, I was allowed by Byrov to visit you and your companions," he looked to Elias, "Though it appears the woman is not present, I will trust that you can tell her of my visit?"

Elias nodded. He stood, glaring at me, though he dared not say anything. I looked to the man again. "What words do you wish to share with us, God?"

"I ask that your journey continue, and that you and your companions do not part. They are detrimental to your... success in your journey," He took one step forward, "However, my words to you are different."

I dismounted and approached him. "What is it I must know, God?"

"I wish," he said as he planted a firm hand on my shoulder, "To tell you that your powers do not make you an evil man. I understand you torment... your toils... but fear not, for these powers symbolize the will of the gods."

I frowned, remembering only the flame. "Why must they symbolize such darkness if they serve the light?"

"All Heralds through the ages before you have asked the same question. Sometimes, I even ask myself that save question sometimes, yet, my knowledge is that all those who serve the light must be willing to do anything and everything to not only survive, but the protect all all else around them."

I glanced up, and Elias spoke up behind me. "You wish to make him a Herald? Even when he holds such evil within him?"

Ceilron frowned. "It is not evil, and Ronic is not evil. Ronic is yet the purest Herald we have seen through the ages. A man of true courage, willing to do all in his power to punish those who mean to do evil, and willing to do anything to protect those he loves," he smiled at him, "Yet he is not the only one to embark on this journey. You are his companion, as well as your kin. You may not see it now, but you will come to know your purpose as well, Elias."

I looked at him, pain on my face. This was too much to take in all at once. I did not know how to handle it. Ceilron looked at me one final time, "My time is short, so I must leave soon. I bestow upon you the Mark of the Herald. May it serve you well on your travels, for many know and fear this symbol. If at any time you find yourself in wanting, show the symbol, and it will ease your troubles," he turned around and began to walk away, "Your journey must next take you back to where it began. Return home, and ride with your companions. Learn to use your power, for it will aid you in your quest. Be wary still Herald, for the journey will only be harder from here. The return of the power has awakened the ancient spirits of the land, and he shall return soon. Be ready, for the time will come, and the land will be wrought with treachery."

I went to say one thing more, but the god vanished. I looked at where he had once been. I felt a scratching at my left hand, and looked at the back of it to see a rune scrawl itself onto my hand. The Mark of the Herald... the mark of a servant of the gods. I turned to Elias. "I will not pry you to continue with me, for now I know the gods want me to return home. I know you have too much here to come with me."

He looked down at the ground, kicking at a stone. "I am weary of this journey..." he looked back up at me, "Yet it is the will of the gods. I will ride with you," he laughed, "Besides, the cooks can watch the inn while Gwen and I ride with you."

I cocked my head at him, and he seemed to know my question, "He spoke of my kin. All I have of kin is Gwen. She is to come with us."

I shook my head. "I do not want her to come to harm."

He only smiled at me. "In your presence... Herald... Ronic.... no harm will come to us. Even Vorias himself cannot lay a finger on us... just so long as your sword strikes true."

I sighed, looking at the men, "Let us bury these men, and then we shall return to the village and prepare."

He nodded, and we began to dig shallow graves adjacent to the first. I scraped at the ground with my bare hands a I eyed the rune on my hand, only wishing that I had died to the bear, for that would have been a easier to stomach than becoming the man that the world's survival rode on the shoulders of.
thy art shall perish

Orion_Genesis99

Post by Orion_Genesis99 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:19 am

As Elias and I rode back into town, the sky turn grey from clouds filling the sky. We hadn't said a word to each other since we had mounted and left, but I had caught him glaring at me pitifully a few times during the ride. As we entered the town, I scanned the buildings we passed. The children had gone inside, and only a few people remained outside, sitting on their porches as they smoked or chatted. We approached the inn, and I dismounted. Leading Tundermere to the closest support beam and tying him off. That would keep him as I gathered what few things I had left inside. Elias did the same, patting the horse's snout as he sadly smiled at me. "I never thought I would have to leave here. My home... My life."

I shook my head at him. "Look not at what lay behind lay behind you, but what lies ahead."

He sighed as he lookeer the inn. "Aye. An old friend used to tell me that... when things got harsh. It isn't the path I worry of, though. It's what lies in wait for us on this path that terrifies me."

I planted a firm hand on his shoulder. "As long as we rode together, friend, not man or beast can stand against us."

He smiled at that and opened his mouth to say something, but Gwen burst through the main door of the inn, tears in her eyes and her face red from crying. "Father! It's terrible! They held a town meeting while you were gone! They-"

"You there!"

I turned to see a small group of villagers, young and old, behind me. The one that spoke to me was an old man, a branch fixed into a walking cane, and a pipe in hand, smoke billowing from it. His beard was scruffy, and his thinning hair was swept back, his eyes contorted to where he looked extremely angered. "I know not of who you are, or where you came from, but we don't want you here in our village anymore! Begone!"

I frowned as another voice piped up from the crowd. "Herod and the others went hunting this morning and never returned! I bet he killed them! He slaughtered them!"

The group rose fists as I rose my hands as a sign of surrender, but as my hands rose, I eyes the rune on my hand. Ceilron wordsd through my head, ' If at any time you find yourself in wanting, show the symbol, and it will ease your troubles.'
I though to drop my hands and show it, but Elias interjected. "How dare you!"

Everyone was taken aback as he stepped forward, the grimace of his face twisted into anger, his one good eye glazed with rage. "Hero's and his friends wished to ambush Romic and I on our hunt. If not for Ronic, I may have lain dead in the forest! May Hero's for in his grave for such a crime! To disrespect a Herald of the Gods is deserving of his fate!"

The group began to erupt with shouts and I took my queue, dropping my arms and exposing the rune for all to see. "Behold, the Mark of the Helrad, betowed upon my by Ceilron, God of Celrot."

A few women screamed, and the old man stepped back before dropping to his knees. "Forgive me, Herald, for I did not know of your title! Have mercy!"

I frowned as I walked uphe old man and grabbed his shoulders, raising him to his feet. I made him face me as I sneered at him. "I wish to not see a single person outside until I depart on my quest. If I see anyone, even the dog... don't let me see a soul."

I released him and stepped away, and he turned and hobbled away on his cane. The rest of the group followed, running to their houses and slamming their doors. I nodded to Elias, and he grabbed Gwens hand as we went inside. I sat at the bar, grabbing my pipe from a pocket on the. Of my cloak. I had loaded it earlier so I would not have to later. I lit it, taking a long drag from it, and as I sighed, Elias began filling Gwen on everything that had happened on our little adventure, from the makeshift bandits to the fight (excluding. The more gruesome details), to the appearance of the bear to my powers and the God. When he was done, she could only shake her head as she d at me, that same pitiful glare in her eyes. "What are we to do now, father?"

Elias on shrugged as he leaned on the bar. "The god said that Ronic could not depart without his companions, which is safe to assume is you and I. We pack, and we Ride to Celrot with Ronic. That's our safest bet, and with the prophecy beginming, I can also assume that not only is Valtaen going to be more aggresive, but... The dark armies are going to return soon, not no mention those ancient creatures whose slumber is to be interuppted by the Flame."

She nodded, and I chuckled. They raised and eyebrow to me, and I shrugged, "The dark armies may be gargantuan, but the beasts? What beasts would awaken to this?"

Elias only frowned, "Try dragons for one, Mate. Not to mention harpies, the basilisks, and so many more from myth and folklore. They aren't a story, they're real, and only to return at the arrival of the last Herald."

I frowned and Gwen interjected, "perhaps I should begin packing? I'll be downstairs in a moment."

Gwen disappeared up the stair, and Elias tool a seat. "Listen Tonic, I understand that this is a ltale in all at once, but... the first step to recovery, even if it's recovery of sanity, is acceptance, and you just have to accept that this is real, no matter how crazy it seems."

I could only such. I didn't need a speech, I needed a mug of ale and some rest, but even then it would all seem pointless. I could only keep smoking my pipe as Elias patted my shoulders and go upstairs to pack, leaving me alone with my thoughts, mu thoughts seemed to want to leave to for they knew that whatever ideas they might bring would only be ignored as I continued to pray that I might awaken in my room and find that it was all a dream. Was that so much to ask for? All I wanted was a normal life, and the more I thought about my current sutuation, the more impossible it became.
thy art shall perish

Orion_Genesis99

Post by Orion_Genesis99 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:56 pm

After a prolonged period away from the website, and by extension this thread, I've returned to continue writing Orion Incarnate, however, it will be and extended amount of time before I start any other threads. Expect Orion to continue monday night.

Thanks,
Void
thy art shall perish