Some Scottish guy's musical rants

The pen is mightier than the sword! Take a pen to a sword fight and see. RPF staff holds no responsibility for injury.

Moderators: Moderator, Admin, Developer

Balgair Arregaithel

Some Scottish guy's musical rants

Post by Balgair Arregaithel » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:05 pm

I do a lot of playing these days. I'm helping two people with their own, custom musicals, and playing for them, but I'm only talking about one. She's not a bad lass, got a nice form and voice for musical, but my GOD she's an idiot.

It's hard to perform when she doesn't know what she wants me to play. I'm the guitarist here, let me do the work. She wants a heavy, slow sound but she's singing much faster than what I'm playing should be matched with. To be clear, I'm playing mainly across G and D major, in a sound much like a slow, emotional song like Snuff(Slipknot.) But I have to play faster and without the fucking pauses she keeps asking me to put in, to make the sound match the voice. Just yesterday she told me she wanted to make it metal, and I asked gothic or symphonic-She does not have the ability to properly perform any other genre, and thrash/death/black metal would not sound good with her voice.

She has a very good alto-soprano, very good endurance. She's almost got a voice like Tarja Turunen, lower by an octave or two. Thing is, her lyrics don't match the tone of the performance she's going for. "The ol' man fell an' broke his leg," come on. She's good, but fucking hell. I'm at a loss trying to get this to work, because she isn't changing those lyrics and I can't play a thrash metal sound for this.

Meanwhile, the other one is fuckin' perfect. It's almost a Disasterpiece-Snuff hybrid song, lot of emotion. I actually had fun, it's challenging to play because of the sudden transitions. Lass I'm working with actually agreed to more flexibility, which made this so much easier.
"A pitiful cry of the damned. Chèr...What do you think?"
~Writings of Darcy Witchmist

Balgair Arregaithel

Re: Some Scottish guy's musical rants

Post by Balgair Arregaithel » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:13 pm

My job is to help her, and she's not accepting it. Not really my fault if she flops, I tried. But the other lass, I'm playing with first thing on stage for my college in the morning. It's gonna be great

Balgair Arregaithel

Post by Balgair Arregaithel » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:50 pm

As expected, epic flop. I refused to play for her, even though it meant my grade got knocked down a bit to 77. I didn't suffer much because the drama guy understood why I didn't play, after seeing what she put together for me.

She has no fucking clue what she's doing writing music, she just threw notes and expected me to know what it meant. Half the time the notes weren't even optional because they don't exist on six or seven string guitars. I typically play on treble, but she thought some nonsensical symbol meant I could play higher.

But those notes don't even exist on fucking guitar. Not even piano or harp has an E# only dogs can hear. For the record, Jess, I can play higher or lower regardless of bass or treble, but I cannot invent notes that would be impossible to play. The violin has the smallest possible wire you can get for notes, and you aren't getting smaller for higher. Use a computer if you want that next time. Enjoy that 17, by the way.

Balgair Arregaithel

Post by Balgair Arregaithel » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:54 pm

My guitar is not going to be broken for a shitty show.

But the other show was great. Perfect 100 and applause. It went damn well, since this lass had a great rock/gothic voice. Did the song and my music justice.

Balgair Arregaithel

Post by Balgair Arregaithel » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:35 am

Now I get to pick any band I want and attempt to cover a song. Attempt...Pfffff. I've mastered Slipknot solos from Killpop to Duality, and I've been working on my TFK covers.