Reclamation [Open]

Journey out, traveler, but be warned. The world is unforgiving.
illirica
Sandbox Mod

Reclamation [Open]

Post by illirica » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:26 pm

You've heard the rumors, then?

I don't know whether or not to believe them, but they're saying the latest storm that blew through uncovered something out in the desert, not too far from here. No one's quite sure what it is, but it's supposed to be pretty big.

Could be valuable. Could just be another buried piece of junk that no one wants. I don't know about you, but I'm going to go find out.

These days, there was always more wasteland in the world than there was of the world itself. It wasn't always like that, or so they said, but Jenna Alarcan had never known anything else. The wasteland was cruel and uninviting. Life in the settlements could be harsh, but it was still life, and there were people there to meet and get along with. People to meet, get along with, argue with, love, hate, comfort, mourn.

Life.

There was life out in the wasteland, too, sometimes, but it wasn't generally the sort of life that a person wanted to get up close with. The Apocalypse had done some strange things, and the wasteland was where the ones that hadn't been cleared out tended to lurk. One never quite knew what they were going to get into, heading out that way - and if it wasn't something weird, the storms were bad enough in this part of the world that they could take out an exploratory group all on their own.

It took a certain sort of person to venture out into the wasteland. Crazy, or suicidal. Sometimes, half the fun in getting together with a person heading out there was trying to figure out which one they were. Sometimes, it was both. Those were the real winners.

Jenna still hadn't quite figured out where she fell on that spectrum. She would have thought at her age, she'd have everything sorted out by now. Maybe that was why she kept heading out to the wasteland - searching for something to call herself. Or maybe that was too much philosophy and she just needed a few more good components to keep her mechanics shop open.

She'd put out an open invitation for a group to join her. It was safer traveling together, most of the time. Not safe, certainly, but safer. She didn't know who was going to show up, or what they'd be like, but that was half of the fun of it.

The other half, of course, was the challenge of the wastelands.

OC:
-This is an open event thread. If you want to participate, you are welcome to join.
-Please make sure your character has been posted and accepted before entering.
-All RPF/Wastebox rules apply, etc. etc.
-Questions or need help? DM me, use the OC thread, or ask on Discord

lowlaville

Re: Reclamation [Open]

Post by lowlaville » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:36 pm

ImageShe was always properly dressed. YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH...... That's precisely the kind of girl she was raised to be. Wasteland is tough, unforgiving even, but Mariana was taught the best manners by her father. She....didn't know who her mother was. Mariana's father told her she looked just like her mother, that she was a "mirror image". Only if that thought had a face to go along with. Mariana let out a deep sigh as her machine mount, her Sawtooth stopped at the settlement's notice board. A place for travelers to get acquainted with all the very important details of the settlement, going prices for resources bartered or sold
locally, or advertisements looking for or, bounties placed on various persons. Her eyes through various contents on the board, seeing if there was anything at all nortworthy. There was not....except for this advertisement of an adventure going into the wasteland, particularly tempting, mostly because of the company, though.

Wasteland wasn't foreign to Mariana because her father did not raise her in the shelter of fucked up settlements, or pathetic losers. No, she was raised in the wild, among perilous danger, but it was also boring. And, the prospect of accompanying some endearing folk was thought good enough for Mariana. So she saddled up her Sawtooth with supplies for a journey and rode it along until she spotted the person of interest.

"Hey there...are you the one who posted about going on an adventure?" She queried, her raid hair flowing gently in the breeze that blew past them.

Xayve

Reclamation [Open]

Post by Xayve » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:15 am

Sadakazu approached the pair at a casual pace, not bothering to speak up until he had come close enough to be seen clearly. He had heard of the recon mission the day before, in the back of the bar, everything in the form of hushed whispers. He still hadn't been sure it was going down until he saw people gathered right where he had expected, and precisely on time, at that. Sadakazu had his usual long, loose black cloak on with his hood tossed back, revealing his ghastly appearance. Kazu also wore medium-weight studded and hardened leather armor with added metal hardpoints to cover vital areas. This was strapped on over top of his cloak, and attached to the back of his armor were his twin blades in their sheathes.
Nor were those the only weapons he had, with his attire playing host to roughly a dozen different small, concealed throwing knives and four extra magazines for a customized Marksman Rifle he held at ease in one hand. Everything else he had on him consisted of a few small boxes of hand loaded ammo for his rifle, a field kit containing gadgets for almost any occasion (this was strapped to the outside of his duffel bag), a whetstone for sharpening his blades, and a large amount of food and water supplies that, according to logistics, should have been able to last him two or three times as long as the journey would last in and of itself. As always, he had only one rule for his travel bag: NO FRAGILES..
"This the recon mission...?" Sadakazu asked as he wandered up, his voice sharp and distinctive. The seal of Clan Mitorii was proudly displayed over his heart on a plate of up-armor, and he made a motion to it as he continued, tapping one ghoulish finger on the metal and slowly lowering his hand.
"The name's Sadakazu Mitorii; and I figure no recon team can operate without its' security personnel...especially when said security is highly trained and well compensated." Kazu spoke in a tone that offered his full meaning while also giving himself a businesslike air. By Kazus' judgment, Clan Mitorii didnt care much for the politics of this area just yet, as long as they stayed friendly with whoever seemed to be on top and made a bunch of money in the progress. This seemed like the perfect place to begin both goals, at least if the others were willing to have him on board.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:56 pm

"This is the group, such as it is," Jenna answered the two who had arrived so far, giving them both a nod of welcome. "Jenna Alarcan. Good to meet you both. I'd caution you against thinking this is too official, Mr. Mitorii - this isn't a sponsored mission or anything. This is straight up wasteland excavation - head out, find what we can, make it back. Equal shares on anything discovered, opportunity to buy out the others on anything particularly interesting. I've got a line on a location - the first challenge is just going to be getting out there. Are either of you experienced with the local area?"

Hopefully the answer was yes - while Jenna had done her share of babysitting missions in the past, she preferred working with people who already had a good idea of what they were doing and how to handle the things they might run into. At the same time, she wasn't interested in working with people who thought they ought to be paid for the privilege of being in their glorious presence, and there were plenty of young, arrogant hotheads with that attitude around. She ought to know, she'd worked with plenty of them, over the years.

"Either of you interested in anything in particular?"

The Original

Post by The Original » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:04 am

"I don't agree with sharing anything I find in the wasteland equally. If I find it, it's mine. Don't feel much inclined to carry useless baggage around." She gave Jenna a cold look. Mariana might look weak and soft, but given the size of her mount and the armaments about her, Jenna should understand that wasteland wasn't a place the young ferryman particularly feared, even more, she was used to being a guardian for many that dared cross such a treacherous landscape. "I know the area, don't dare brag of being able to get around without attracting trouble, but I know how to stay clear of the most dangerous spots."

On the right side of her head, right above her ear she had a piece of metal. The device let her see the world through the eyes of her machines, letting her alternate sensory perception with the Watchers, Sawtooth and Crab Tanks. This device gave her sight beyond sight, let her see things in the dark, detect heat signature, chemical composition and far off objects. Mariana was fairly confident she was capable of mapping a route out of the village.

"Metal Salvage and Old World ruins are what I'm interested in most. Many of you may not find anything useful in them, but I know what to look for in terms of precious commodities. So if I were to be taken along, I'd even let you pick and choose." Being social was definitely not something Mariana was good at, and this conversation showed just how alien she was to communicating.

Xayve

Post by Xayve » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:56 am

Sadakazu took note of everything said by the two women in his mental library, filing these thoughts under 'S' for 'Semi-relevant.'
"Can't blame a guy for trying, these days.." Kazu directed the first part of his sentance to Jenna, a small smile spreading across his radiation-marred face.
"...As for what I'm interested in, I'd say my main priorities are information...specifically, I'd like to find out what fell from the sky since it wasn't a bird or basket belonging to Clan Mitorii, and...assuming its mechanical...I'd like to conduct as thorough of a study of the flight systems as possible, given the fact that whatever it is has crashed."
At that, Kazu took a brief look around. Not finding any newcomers on the horizon, he figured that if this was a Mitorii mission, they'd already be on the road. A small moment was spent mentally running through emergency procedures one last time before presenting the situation as observed.
"Well, I don't see any other scrap-happy folks coming to join us. We can wait and see who shows up, or we can go ahead and head out. Y'alls choice."
Even as he said this, Kazu was adjusting the straps on his swords and on his duffel bag to be more comfortable, what with the long journey up ahead. A journey which, to be frank, revealed more and more about himself each time he made it. It took a special kind of crazy to make a journey across the wastes,for several reasons. For starters, there were the aberrations to worry about....and if those didn't get you, you still had to worry about the random raiders littering the wastes, traveling in packs and taking what they wanted when they wanted it. At least in Dakania, his home territory, Kazu didn't have to worry about Randy the Raider giving him a twelve-gauge colonoscopy. Clan Mitorii had dealt with most of the raiders of Dakania a decade hence, and while some still tended to populate Abaddons Highway, a name given to the central stretch of Sadakazus' homeland, those who did so were usually from a Mitorii-controlled group, and as such he didn't often have to worry about such things.
Then there was the threat of starvation.... a thought which, although he brought plenty of food along by the reckoning of the people back at Logistics, Kazu still shoved in a mental file labeled ways I might die in the next week or so.
Taking a break from his typical over-paranoid mission threat assessment, Kazu had yet another sordid yet calming thought that he kept entirely to himself save for the tiniest of grins spreading across his face:
Maybe this week I finally shall make it to Valhalla.
Sadakazu tried to remain intent and focused on the present as another part of his mind wandered, waiting for the other members of the small scavenging party to be ready to head out.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:57 pm

Jenna listened, annoyed. The group, of course, was a bunch of self-absorbed greedy fools. They always were.

Anyone who wasn't wouldn't be stupid enough to come along on an excursion like this. Fortunately, she was the sort of person who could make do with just about anything, so she wasn't going to fuss too much about the specifics, as long as she picked up something she thought she could use.

"Think you're right, this looks like a good enough start. If we hang out here, we're just going to attract attention from people who shouldn't be going out there at all." Kids, or people close enough to kids that it didn't matter much. Ones who ought to stay in the cities, but who figured with people like this group to protect them, they'd be fine.

Jenna didn't want people who needed to be protected, she wanted people who could protect themselves. Ideally, people who could protect her as well, but beggars couldn't be choosers, and with the world the way it was, they were all beggars. "Last chance to pick up any supplies you want to bring with you. We're going as soon as everyone's ready."

Xayve

Post by Xayve » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:58 pm

Sadakazu took a quick look around, having given anybody who wished to speak up a chance to do so. He didn't like the idea of waiting around for some half-drunk waster or lost child to decide they deserved the protection of a group of total strangers. Seeing nothing on the horizon, he decided it was time to get this show on the road.
"I brought everything I need with me..so I guess we may as well head out since nobody objects.Also, I'm familiar enough with the area to help get us where we're going if need be...if I had realized we didnt have any navigation experts around the party I would have brought one with me from headquarters to save us all the trouble though. Speaking of, the information we were given was a little light...I'm assuming we have a target location..?"
Kazu directed his statement to Jenna, whom he was sure was also tired of waiting for anyone to speak up saying they forgot this or really needed that. He withdrew a rough map of the area which by no definition was finished, and indicated the current location of the party, as well as that of Paradiso for points of referance. He extended this map to Jenna, along with a small writing impliment.
"...Mark it, if you can. That should help a lot." Kazu suggested, a friendly grin set upon his face. He just wanted the best for this salvage operation, and since he could only see three people involved right now, Kazu figured his only option would be to take a much more active stance than he had been planning to before.
Which was fine, as far as he was concerned, as long as he got a look at that flight tech in the end.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:16 pm

"Good to go, then." It seemed like this group was at least experienced enough to bring their supplies to the meeting. Jenna couldn't count the number of times she'd had to wait because someone had realized that they were going out into the wasteland and hadn't brought some critical component - usually water. They always remembered ammunition, they never remembered water.

"The target location's a little vague," she answered the question, taking the map from the man and looking it over. "It's more of a suggestion than a specific, but I think it'll be in this area somewhere, unless the storms cover it again." She squinted out towards the horizon for a moment, before shaking her head and drawing a vague circle on the equally vague map. "Stick together as best we can. The wasteland's no place for anyone alone. Radio frequency on twenty-seven."

She handed back the map and the pencil, then took a few steps across to climb up into the cobbled-together "mech" she'd built, wondering not for the first time if she ought to build an actual mounting platform rather than just scaling it like a climbing wall. Since it wasn't that far, she decided again not to bother. A couple precision strikes of percussive maintenance popped the hatch to allow her to slide into the cockpit, engines stirring to life as she tuned her radios to the specified frequency. Twenty-seven tended to be pretty good for at least a few kilometers, after that they'd probably have to stop and find another functional wave. It'd do, though, for a start.

The wasteland beckoned, and she followed.

Xayve

Post by Xayve » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:32 pm

Sadakazu focused on what Jenna was saying as he took a look over his map, identifying a. He knew there were a few areas between where they were the circle she drew and their present location that were going to be pretty rough, so it was a good deal that at least one of the people in the group could be in a position to traverse said terrain and provide cover. Kazu made a note to himself to mention this when it became relevant, and he also wondered if Clan Mitorii could be contacted for transport. Sadakazu knew his current coordinates so he figured it would be a good bet to try to do so, and possibly extraction on the way out if he could identify a landmark. Switching over to the official support channel for Clan Mitorii, Sadakazu spoke quietly as the woman turned and walked back to her machine, folding his map with one hand and triggering his microphone with the other. His communication was in code, but it specified that he would need some form of transportation provided roughly a few kilos out of his current location. Command replied with an 'Affirmative, if possible.' and he was able to get moving. Switching to what he thought was the right channel, Sadakazu spoke again.
"S here, checking my frequency. You read me, J?"
Using just the first letters of ones name was a typical code out in the wasteland. Being the leader of Clan Mitorii, Sadakazu often tried to avoid breaking code whenever possible as he knew there were plenty of people he had made dislike him over the years due to his occupation.
Following behind the mechanized walker that was trotting ahead of him, Sadakazu began the latest in a series of potentially harrowing journeys.