Post by Terminus » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:57 pm

TerminOS v3.3.3
Now Playing: Mick Gordon- Shatterhail.

Armor Model: Terminus.
Active Module: None.

Pilot: Pendragon, Nicolas.
System Status: Online.

Skywatch. The Situation Room.

Terminus arrived without fanfare. His 'guests' followed less than a second after. Aristotle, the Front Line's third member, who'd accompanied him to Krakatoa. Jaeger, the Young Wolf whose goal of separating Capacitor from her cursed Eldest blade was aligned with that of the team. Noctua, the one member of the SOS that Pendragon felt he could still trust. And Total Experience.

Novak was already waiting for them. The Blacksmith had asked him to stay behind and monitor the situation in the volcano. He'd also been the one to bring Total Experience in. At the time, it had seemed like a good idea, but the Chrome Champion had been a nuisance. Rather than assist in containing the threat Capacitor presented, he'd tried fruitlessly to calm tensions between both sides. He would need to learn one important fact of being a hero- that not every conflict could be solved with words alone.

After everyone had adjusted to their new environment, Terminus stepped out of his armor. It stepped out of the room, heading up to the hangar for repairs. It hadn't sustained any damage at Krakatoa, but the heat could play havoc on its delicate internal systems. Regular maintenance was important for such complex technology.

"James. Any luck tracking where Capacitor translocated to? And what's the status of your contact in the DoD?"

The second question was pursuant to something Novak and Pendragon had discussed in private, but he wasn't going to explain to Noctua or Total Experience. They weren't members of the team, and this was a team meeting. If any sensitive information came up, they would have to step out. And when the time came to determine the Front Line's next move, they would need to decide what side they were on.

Next, Nicolas turned to Aristotle. His eyes narrowed.

"McCoy. I was happy to have a government liaison join the team. I believe in accountability. But when we're in the field, you are a member of this team. That means you follow my lead, act on my orders, and keep your opinions to yourself. If you want to do something, you run it by me first. If you have a problem, you bring it up on the private channel, not in front of the opposition. If that doesn't work for you, I'd be happy to drop you back off at boot camp."

Perhaps not the most tactful way to handle that, but Pendragon's blood was running hot, and not merely because he'd been standing at the edge of a volcano moments before. Besides, McCoy had threatened to feed him his own armor. Terminus had high hopes that Novak's brother was more than just a brute, but if violence was the language he preferred to speak, Nicolas would be more than happy to demonstrate his fluency.

Terminus took a seat at the large table in the center of the Situation Room. The walls were dominated by screens from various satellite and news feeds from around the world. At the moment, several of them were still focused on Krakatoa. He gestured for the others to take seats as well. This was much more civilized than engaging in a shouting match at a volcano's edge.

"Experience, you were quick to intercept what you perceived as an attack, and that's commendable. But there's a difference between an attack and an attempt to disarm. The last time Capacitor used that sword, it was to try and murder Hector Williams. The fact that she's now loose with it means we're going to have to deal with her."

There was also a world of difference between a warning shot and an attack. Nicolas didn't regret that in the slightest. If Teja hadn't been enough of an idiot to shed her protective gear at a volcano, she wouldn't have gotten hurt. And the Society's advanced healing tech meant that she would be back in peak condition within the hour. After all, they'd been able to easily restore the two children she'd nearly gotten killed back to full health. The idea that her recovery would take longer was practically laughable.

"And you," the Machinist said, finally facing Jaeger. "You had the right idea, trying to get that sword away from her. But I don't know who you are. How about you explain, and we can go from there?"

Total Experience

Re: War Council [CLOSED]

Post by Total Experience » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:14 pm

ZAP.

Edward did not like being moved without permission.

At all.

He had not even the time to give a cursory goodbye to the assembled SOS before being yanked away through space-time by what he could only assume was Terminus forcefully hacking his way into the PRODIGY, which he noted was also now depleted of its battery, meaning it was now useless to him. Even as Pendragon berated his teammate, Experience silently fumed in the room he'd been dragged to, looking down at Noctua, and then over at the unknown man. Where were they? Space?

No, this was the Skywatch. Some kind of inner situation room. He didn't even have time to acknowledge Novak's presence -

- before Terminus started talking to him.

Arms crossed, he remained impassive on the outside, but even he was not immune to that most human of weaknesses -

- frustration.

"Experience, you were quick to intercept what you perceived as an attack, and that's commendable. But there's a difference between an attack and an attempt to disarm. The last time Capacitor used that sword, it was to try and murder Hector Williams. The fact that she's now loose with it - "

"Be quiet."

The words, softly intoned, reverberated through the room.

He didn't take a seat.

Terminus, in his armor, was taller than an ordinary man. But Experience stood over him all the same. When he spoke again, his voice had returned to its normal volume.

"Don't move me without asking. And don't refer to the SOS - "

He leaned in.

"- as the opposition. What is wrong with you? You're spoiling for a fight with them. It's obvious. And embarrassing."

Terminus

Post by Terminus » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:33 pm

TerminOS v3.3.3

Nicolas closed his eyes. Took a breath in, and let it out. Then again.

I will not let my anger rule me.

When he felt calm enough to reply without raising his voice, Terminus opened his eyes again.

"I brought you here as a courtesy to him," he said, keeping his voice even, and with a gesture to Jaeger. "If you don't wish to be here, you're free to leave."

There had been a temptation to demand that Experience vacate the premises immediately. But he wasn't the enemy. And doing so would have alienated Jaeger, whose cooperation was required for the time being. Still, Nicolas wasn't fond of being interrupted. In his own headquarters, no less. If he'd ever had any inclination to invite the Chrome Champion to join the Front Line, it was now gone.

"If you're going to stay, please don't interrupt me again. And don't speak of things you don't understand."

Terminus didn't like to play the 'veteran card.' Every hero had a useful perspective. Even the young ones, like Manaria and Kid Smash, had things to contribute. Though, of course, they were best kept out of dangerous situations like the one at Krakatoa. At the same time, the way Total Experience had tried to police his tone was vexing. He clearly admired the Society, but that was because he'd only seen them from afar.

"If you think that every conflict can be resolved with words, you're naive. Even monsters like Surgath claim to have good intentions, but if you had your way, we'd have tried to negotiate with him. Maybe just one fourth of the world's population would have satisfied him."

Anger had crept back into Pendragon's tone. He bit it back, taking another deep breath.

"I considered Capacitor a friend. And if you think I want to fight her, or anyone on her team, you're out of your goddamn mind."

Total Experience

Post by Total Experience » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:50 pm

T.E. didn't budge.

Only a metal eyebrow raised, slowly.

"You're a smart man, Terminus. You understand false equivalence."

Especially between Surgath and the ones who slew him, no less, but he didn't have to say that aloud. Pendragon appeared to be unhinged, grappling with something he truly could never understand. The pressure - it had to be immense. But that was the same criticism leveled time and again at the SOS, that their eccentricities had to be excused because of the gravity of their actions.

"I was never given a choice to be here or not. You brought me along so that you could speak to our friend here," he said, indicating the Living Inferno with a wave of his hand.

"But it's clearly for the best that I stay. Words or violence - you claim there's no in-between. Because you are afraid, and it's impairing your judgement."

Experience's look softened. He was afraid too. The moment he transformed back into an ordinary human, one without the superior processing of a machine mind, he'd need a lot of time to decompress. All that kept him going for now was his Total Focus.

He shifted his gaze to the rest of the room, then back to Pendragon.

"We can't let urgency get the better of us. We all saw what happened to Mr. Williams. We know the danger. But this is no time for panic."

He looked back to the grandiose armored being, the one who'd torn metal muscle.

"Please. What's happening to Capacitor, and how can it be stopped?"

James Novak

Post by James Novak » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:01 am

James Novak had been streaming the volcano situation through Terminus’ cam on his laptop. He had gone in and out of consciousness throughout the entire debacle.

His pillow just felt too comfortable.

Novak perked up as soon as Terminus asked Jaeger asked if he wanted to leave with them. He put on a shirt that was on the floor and a pair of joggers. Novak didn’t feel like wearing shoes, so he just pushed his feet into his pair of Gucci slides.

He took the elevator as he kept watching the stream on his phone with a pair of Abbeys around his head.

Tensions were high. No surprise there.

Novak wrapped them around his neck as the voices were nearing from the Situation Room.

Once he set foot, they would see all the bruises and bandages on his face from the Las Vegas fight. There would have been a bit more if Noctua hadn’t decided to lend him his ears.
He stopped at the doorway and looked at Total Experience with a puzzled gaze.

“What the hell is in-between words and violence? Insults?” Before he could respond, he cut in again.

“Don’t answer. I’m going to get some coffee. Wait for me before we get serious.”

He walked out to the lobby of the Situation Room.

There was a pot that his assistant had left anticipating their return. She didn’t usually do that, but she didn’t trust Novak around a coffee maker in his current state.

The sentiment was nice and yet it didn’t prevent him from grabbing the coffee pot by the body instead of the handle.

“Goddamn it.” He whispered as he quickly let go.

He ran over to that floor’s bathroom and placed his hand under the water. His slides smacked against the floor as he did so.

The internet always said that people should leave minor burns under water for five minutes, but Novak didn’t want to act rude and make big deal out of it.

It wasn’t their fault he was being stupid.

Travis McCoy

Post by Travis McCoy » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:53 am

Krakoa was an eye-opener in many regards. It illuminated just how deranged these 'superheroes' really were. The squabbling, the bickering. These petty fucking people in colorful capes. They would rather burn than admit their faults. McCoy walked around the room deaf as Terminus spoke.

He wandered to a water cooler and yanked the tank out to douse himself, water evaporating almost immediately after making contact with his skin. There were soot marks on the floor since his soles burned to crisp. Then fullness somewhat returned to his cheeks after refreshing himself. He didn't really think about the water possibly damaging the tech built into the Situation Room.

"Ah-"
The canister hung in his hand before he dropped it next to the machine. He was tired.
"Member?"
He turned to Terminus with a deep frown. Travis wasn't going to mention how Terminus' brilliant leadership had him drop into an active volcano without prior notice or equipment. That would be too personal. Besides, he made it out.
"Of what? Front Line? From what I'm starting to understand, Nicky-boy, this outfit is made up of TWO GUYS IN SUITS, an intern, and then there's me. But somehow we got this metal man who's always on our ass everywhere we go another speedster who's also on call? We got people coming out the woodwork the rest of us don't know about."

"So how about you make up your fucking mind about this team, 'leader'?"
Aristotle's shield was melting in the caldera of a volcano.

While Pendragon was busy trying to hold onto his hand, McCoy was busy worrying about him revealing it to everyone. People like Total Experience and Mercury were walking security risks. The former USAISA operative could see why the first draft of the team didn't make it. He waited for the titanium titan to finish his appeal to Pendragon's conscience.

"You know what you are, Nick? World's Most Extreme Doomsday Prepper. Cooped up in that armor all day and just having a blast stockpiling WMDs. If you expect me to nod to everything you do, then you've got me fucked up. I am not one of your yes-men. I'm a government liaison."

"That means I can have a battalion of horny geeks run up from Fort Fredrick strip this joint down to the foundations in 20 minutes flat."
Nostrils flared, teeth grinding. He wasn't in the mood for this bullshit. Especially after having a girl tell him into his face that she would rather burn alive in a volcano than have him teleport them out. This Death Cult of Heroism had to be stopped. Inhale, exhale. His serial killer heartbeat was slowly coming back to a cold crawl.

McCoy then sat down at one end of their conference table. This was the Situation Room after all. No better place than this to discuss what's going on with the SOS.

"Alright. That off my chest... If you want me or any of us to chase after Capacitor because of some sword then you've got some serious explaining to do, Pendragon."
ARISTOTLE
🢖 BIO 🢔

Jaeger

Post by Jaeger » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:09 pm

IN FOR A PENNY, IN FOR A POUND
SKYWATCH. MILLENNIUM CITY.

It seemed as if his strength as a peacekeeper would soon be tested.

The armored one began the issuance of orders-- not to Jaeger, but to those who were yet to make themselves known, which likely meant off-site staff. By the sound of his questions, their search for Capacitor was as urgent as could be expected; the inquiry about a DoD contact went over his head, but it wasn't his business. He only had a singular objective in mind, which was the separation of sword from proverbial scabbard-- Stahlzahn had embedded itself into Teja's very being and life, and like an excised growth which festered within the body, it needed to be cut out.

Commendations were issued upon the coattails of his orders, and the metal one-- his demeanor standing in stark contrast to the tone he held within the caldera-- interjected with condemnation towards his armored compatriot. Though the idea of stopping the ensuing argument certainly struck him, he held his tongue and let the two say their peace-- an interruption of his own would have only complicated matters further, and it wasn't his place, if he were to be frank with himself. He didn't even know the names of these people, and judging by the argument that erupted not moments after their translocation, it was safe to say that there was history between the people of this group.

Better to stay quiet, then.

The Eldest stuck close to Noctua, offering a slight glance from his faceless helm as a newcomer entered the room and requested that they halted conversation about the sword until he returned. Judging from his attire, he seemed to be... well, laid back. The fellow left as soon as he had arrived, and Victor furrowed his brow as he watched the man leave. He would... oblige, he supposed?

Jaeger gave another look to Noctua. It was impossible to read a facial expression for obvious reasons, but the implication the look held was more than apparent. Besides-- with Eldest energies present within both warriors, there may exist some sort of connection that allowed each man the ability to sense the... fuck if he knew. Divine awkwardness? It certainly felt like that, right now. As a second man made his grievances known-- this time, a hero clad in a patriotic color-scheme with a jingoist temperament that fit the costume-- Victor edged a smidgeon closer to Noctua and leaned in, slightly.

"So." He stated, voice low. "Is this, uh... is this what being on a superhero team's like?" His question was simple enough, and there was a genuine curiosity to it-- any time he'd seen a metahuman face off against a villain that threatened civilization, it'd been on a shitty 30-inch LED TV that Zelda had bought from a yard sale a few years back. Well-- bought was certainly a word for what had happened, but he was almost entirely certain that stole was a word that better fit the affair. Regardless-- any time he'd seen something remotely heroic, it'd been through media. Never in person-- no, not until that-- that thing in Newark. He'd seen that thing with his own eyes, then.

Jaeger closed his eyes, at that, a faint headache taking over his mind. Something about that memory hurt. He didn't know what-- didn't know why-- but he took the metal man's directed inquiry as an opportunity to take his mind off of the matter and back to the task at hand. It would have been rude to fall silent after having been asked a question-- and whatever Jaeger had to say might help mollify the patriotic one's concerns for the present moment.

"I can explain my side once your associate returns." Jaeger stated, crossing his arms. "For now-- I'll introduce myself. I am known as Jaeger." At least, that's what he thought. "I know none of your own aliases except for Noctua. Introductions would be... most helpful, for me especially."

Total Experience

Post by Total Experience » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:16 am

James had been hurt.

Talk about a reminder of the stakes. Proton's appearance presented less of a rebuttal to T.E.'s point and more a cue that ordinary people got very hurt during super-fights. Even with his advanced ballistic armor, he looked worse for wear.

As Novak stepped out, exiting as quickly as he'd entered, the sound of hissing filled the room as Aristotle dumped water over himself. Proton's granddad, T.E. knew, was the original article, and he'd inspired a slew of successors, from Atlas to Axiom. That had to have been how the name and costume was secured for this team. Anyone could claim it, of course, but there was legitimacy that would always belong to the family. He'd never heard of someone being sued over an alias, but if anyone could make it work, no doubt it'd be James Novak.

The latest incarnation of the shield-wielder literally steamed with rage at Terminus, giving him more than a piece of his mind and revealing his role as government liaison at the same time. He took his seat, but Experience remained standing. He was still irritated about having been teleported to the room without being asked. It was all too clear that he'd only been brought along as a means to an end - Terminus had to satisfy the armored warrior, and so had precluded even the possibility that T.E. opt out. Always trying to retain an advantage, be it in terms of firepower or social influence. But then again, could he be faulted for panicking the way he was?

Yes, Ed decided, a second later. Absolutely.

He'd rather have had Ryoko come in his stead.

The armored man introduced himself as Jaeger. A German word, meaning "hunter." Ed knew that because one of his friends was a huge fan of Pacific Rim.

Jaeger already knew Noctua. Ed was first to reply. He gave the man a small two-finger salute and smile, though the room's tension rendered it slightly forced. A first for him, perhaps.

"Good to meet you. I'm TOTAL EXPERIENCE. I'm not affiliated with either team."

As he said those words, he realized it put him in something of a unique position. Maybe it was good to be here, as something of a neutral party - although something told him Terminus would either see him as with him, or his enemy. At least he didn't have a sour relationship with Proton.

Deus Mortis
Sandbox Councillor

Post by Deus Mortis » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:32 pm

Garrick didn’t need any mystical, Eldest connection to feel the same awkwardness Jaeger did as they watched this entire ordeal. If any divine empathy connected the two, there was a fair chance the reawakened Eldest would be able to feel the pooling anger within Garrick. Jaeger’s question was the source of it.

"Is this, uh... is this what being on a superhero team's like?"

He wanted to say no, but the reality of it all said otherwise.

”It’s felt that way for the past few months.” Garrick didn’t bother to whisper. With how impassioned everyone was, he doubted anyone would notice.

When he arrived back on Earth, Garrick’s mind was utterly focused on the next threat. Surgath had been defeated, but he wouldn’t be the last to threaten the world, that much Garrick knew. What he didn’t expect to come back to was this.

It shouldn’t be this way.

A soft exhale blew from his nose right about the time when Travis started laying into Nicholas. Any doubts of the star-spangled soldier letting the opposition know of his real opinions were soon put to rest. The raw fury in McCoy’s rant was difficult to ignore, and Garrick couldn’t help but not want to ignore it. By the end of it, he could do little more than sit on those words for a moment. His gaze went over to Nicholas before going back to Travis before finally settling somewhere in the middle.

”Huh.” Why was this giving him deja vu?

Victor wanted some introductions to be made, which only felt sensible considering how utterly lost he must have been. Garrick didn’t need to introduce himself, mostly because he knew the majority of the people here and partly because Victor had done him the favor of doing it.

Total Experience was the first one to introduce himself, which came of no real surprise. Garrick nodded over at the man in greeting. From what he’s seen of the man, Ed was pretty amiable, reminiscent of the heroes from the 20th century. He valued diplomacy over outright violence, something which Garrick respected immensely. While he didn’t agree with the notion that all situations can be resorted with words, he was pretty sure that wasn’t what he was getting at.

Garrick’s expression was neutral, a more-than-trivial feat considering half of his face was covered by a mask. He waited patiently for everyone to introduce themselves, not quite convinced the tensions in the room were completely dissolved. The only thing he could do was hope that they would be able to focus on the task at hand: and that James would bring him a cup of coffee too.

Probably not.

Terminus

Post by Terminus » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:20 am

TerminOS v3.3.3

Much as Nicolas wished some of the urgency of the moment had been maintained, he was grateful for Novak's presence. The man had a way of drawing down the tension of a room just by being in it. And by stepping out for a moment, he'd forced them all to put a pause on the Serious Talk. That was probably a good thing too. Tempers had gotten a little too high.

The issue with McCoy would have to be resolved later. Though Pendragon wouldn't have objected to being called a control freak, that wasn't the only reason he'd chastised Aristotle for acting without instruction in the field. He'd expected the soldier to understand- after all, discipline was something the military supposedly felt was important. Though considering they'd also produced Capacitor, perhaps their training program wasn't as effective as one might think.

"You're right," he said to Travis. "I should have given you a proper briefing before going in. That's on me. I'll elaborate once James gets back."

The rest, they could discuss in private. Airing his frustrations with McCoy in front of Noctua and Total Experience to begin with had been unwise. Already, Terminus was beginning to regret how he'd handled this meeting. Experience was right- he should have been consulted before being brought along. The man was obviously unused to translocation, and had more of an objection than an experienced member of the SOS like Garrick might.

Luckily, Valeria seemed as unfettered as always. He maintained his calm, quiet demeanor, as he had even during their prior meeting, in the office of Curtis West. They'd yet to discuss that- something to schedule, after the main business of the day was concluded, perhaps. After all, Hector still needed to be found. But, as much as Pendragon hated to admit it, his friend had to wait. The world took priority.

For some reason, the Blacksmith had expected the Young Wolf to recognize him. Not simply because he'd put a genuine effort into raising his public profile, but because he'd called Capacitor by her first name. Then again, aside from Rust, Nicolas hadn't had much real contact with the Eldest. He'd studied them plenty, but he'd never actually met the vaunted Nation-Spirit.

"Nicolas Pendragon," he said by way of introduction, nodding towards the armored man. So far Terminus was the only person in the room to transition from his 'costume' to civilian clothes. Total Experience still had a secret identity, which explained why he remained in his slightly-more-anonymous metal form, and presumably the Flame Prince had his own secrets behind that helm. "Terminus, in the field."