Friends in cages [PM or Discord ask to join]

Roleplay locations.
Amicus

Re: Friends in cages [PM or Discord ask to join]

Post by Amicus » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:36 pm

Joey cocked as head at the mention of a headclown, "Uh...sure?" he said confusingly. He most assuredly had no clue what a headclown was or even the context in which that could have become a phrase. Then suggesting that they get the burger, and think more about it while they eat. Well, he did know he could try and detect poison. So hey, might as well. Food was good. "Yeah, yeah I think that's good." he answered as they kept walking.

He flicked his tongue out again smelling the air. He had to consider the situation. Venator was, well he was wary. But that was normal. Almost nothing made the thing actually cooperate completely. Well, there was that girl recently who both Joey and Venator were sad they hadn't seen since that strange event. A friend. Martin considered her one too. Now, the crows did, but they weren't the most reliable sources of who's a good friend and who's not.

If only Martin were here, maybe he could give him a better idea of what he should be doing. It felt rather lonely without that friend, so long he'd had him. He wasn't Nathan, but he was so much like him. In many ways Martin was as protective of Joey as Joey was of him. Joey always needed a friend, someone he could talk to when things were going really wrong. Someone who wasn't just another critter, as much as he loved them too. Oh...Nathan. It was years ago, but the death of that friend was a hard one. And he never got the honor he deserved for what he'd done. The part he played. Poor Nathan. If only you were still around.

The boy swallowed and looked ahead, "What will...what would happen if I accepted...whatever it is you and your organization are offering." he looked at Harry trying to see if he or Venator could tell what he was thinking. Looking or smelling for any sign of lies or concern. He wouldn't rely on the results, whichever they were. In fact it was almost pointless. He just wanted to check, at every chance, to see what he was dealing with. How his life might have to change from here on.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:32 pm

Asset: Harry Thompson, N-Class-C
Purpose: Investigation of a potentially anomalous individual

"Well..." Harry said, slowly, "You'd get a burger. Because that's what I'm offering." He looked over at Joey and shrugged, "I mean, I could probably be talked into throwing in some fries or something?" He grinned, then shook his head. "I told you, Joey, I'm not trying to rope you into anything you're not comfortable with. If you want to go talk to a guy I know who deals with people kinda like you, you'd get a chance to talk to someone, maybe learn something about yourself. If you don't want to, then that's fine."

Not that he didn't want to bring Joey in, but there was the whole synergy angle to consider. Anomalies would be a lot more comfortable if they were invested in the Foundation for their own sake, not just because they were stuck in the box and figured it might as well be a nice one. Anomalies needed to be cared for - but beyond that, they needed to be cared about. Joey might have been anomalous - or not, Harry wasn't an official certifier or anything - but he was still a kid. A skittish kid, and one who needed to feel like he had space to make his own decision about all this. There'd been a time when he would have been right to be afraid, after all, and that time was... not all that long ago.

It wasn't now, though. Harry kept walking, and let Joey consider his options. "I'm not going to try to bribe you into doing a quest by promising you a plus-three hat or something. If you decide you're interested, then we talk about where you might fit in, but not before. I started as an intern. Most people do. It mostly involves filing paperwork and getting coffee for people who are senior to you, but if you manage to handle that all right for a while, then you can look into what career path you want to take. That'll be your decision, though, and I can't tell you what you'd decide. You and Venator would have a chance to think about it together, figure out what's best for both of you. Doesn't seem right to pretend he doesn't exist, or he doesn't matter."

Another shrug, more serious than the first, which had been a bit more on the silly side. "I think you'd do well there, but that's just my opinion. You're the one who makes the call."
Capacitor
The God-Damned Lightning
Astra
A Manufactured Deity
Prism
Like, Totally Brilliant?
Eternal Flame
Pax City's Phoenix

Amicus

Post by Amicus » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:59 pm

Joey chuckled as he explained he'd get a burger. It wasn't exactly going to convince him, but it was still appreciated. He still was saying he wasn't going to force him. That it was an option. Talk to a guy who dealt with stuff like this. That couldn't be too bad could it? Just, talking about it. See what they could do. He kept going. No bribes. No cages. No threats.

A possibility to start as an intern, he has to furrow his brow at that. Wasn't exactly something that Joey or Venator were good at. It had zero to do with hunting or survival. It was a civilized skill, which is something that Joey had little experience in. And getting coffee even wasn't quite normal, given Joey's taste for things being raw. Sure he could eat normal foods and enjoy them, but it might differ somewhat from another persons. They could just figure out what was best, take their time. Though, Harry did seem to think he'd do well. It was still a troublesome problem.

And of course, the risk of how much truth there was. He didn't necessarily see any reason Harry could be lying. But Venator was ever worried. And the subject of discussion already wasn't the most comfortable.

There was a possibility he cold try, Martin. If Martin trusted him, maybe that'd be enough. After-all he could make almost any venom, maybe he could make one to cause someone to tell the truth. Just in case. He wanted that last piece, he wanted to know for sure. Because Joey was rather simply, afraid.

"Uh...what if you met a friend, Martin. And if he thinks it's ok. Then I'll know." he said quietly, "But uh...intern? I mean, that sounds really hard for someone like me. Honestly Martin could probably do better and he doesn't even have hands." Joey explained before cocking his head in thought, "Though I guess if Hanry, Laury, or Cavill helped him that might be fine. But that's really not the point.
I'm no good at...numbers, and calculations, and...organizing stuff."

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:48 pm

"Martin's your snake friend, right?" Joey had mentioned that a little while ago. Harry had a good mind for remembering details - details were important, after all. Getting the details wrong could lead to things getting untidy in a hurry. "And... Henry, Laury, and Cavill are the crows?" The 'Three Musketeers,' he'd called them. Corvids were already supposed to be awfully smart, so Harry was curious with the idea of an even smarter set.

"What do you even call a hyper-intelligent sect of corvids?" he mused, distractedly, "A 'murder' is too low-brow. An 'assassination' of crows? An 'execution' of crows? I like that one, because it picks up the idea of executive function and I'm... completely off on a random tangent, aren't I? Um. Sorry. Where were we? Oh, internships. Look, any decent work environment is going to match your job to your skills. I'm good at paperwork, so that's what they had me doing. If you're good at other things, there's probably a job to be had doing any number of other things." Feeding weird anomalies, maybe. L-14 had a glass panther that only ate jello, preferably grape. That was absolutely the sort of intern work Joey would be great at.

Harry grinned at the thought, but of course he couldn't say too much. "I'm sure there's stuff you'd be great at, really, Joey. And just think how much you could help people understand if you can talk to an- animals that people ordinarily can't. You've got a gift." Which came back to the idea of Harry meeting Martin. Unfortunately, not being a Parselmouth, he had a feeling conversation was likely to be one-sided.

"I'd be willing to meet with Martin, though. Snakes are cool." A lifetime and a half ago, Harry had thought himself pretty good with snakes, which mostly meant he'd been able to catch garter snakes out in the fields. He'd never asked the snakes what they'd thought about the process, but he supposed even if he'd livened up their lives a bit, he'd always let them go again where he found them. "Where's he hang out?"
Capacitor
The God-Damned Lightning
Astra
A Manufactured Deity
Prism
Like, Totally Brilliant?
Eternal Flame
Pax City's Phoenix

Amicus

Post by Amicus » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:40 am

Joey nodded as Harry asked if Martin was his snake friend. And then again as he asked about the crows. He had to look a little confused at the question of what you call a "hyper-intelligent sect of corvids" because he wasn't even sure that they would have a word. Made a little more sense when he referenced them being called a murder, but such naming just seemed a little odd. Then again, he did have a name for them. The Musketeers. Execution sounded a bit, well, formal for three crows that played pranks more then killed anything.

Harry did get back on topic, saying that they might have something to match his skills. Which sounded a bit more promising. Assuming all this was true of course. He continued affirming that, stating maybe something with animals other people couldn't normally get to. A gift. Joey smiled, "Yeah, it's something at least I can be thankful for. Without it...I don't know where I'd be." he admitted. As a matter of fact, he probably could guess. He might be like his father. Since him and his mother would be who he'd have hung out with, more then himself and his friends. And even if he didn't, his plan to kill his parents wouldn't have worked without it.

A further smile as Harry said he'd be willing to meet Martin, and asked where he hung out, Joey stretched his neck a bit then looked around until he caught sight of a bird. A quick whistle brought it to his outstretched hand where he gave it a quick pet, and whispered into its ear before holding out his hand and watching him fly off, "With me. But the Musketeers can bring him if he's not busy. I'd normally hang with him anyway, but you know, not good to bring a snake into a zoo. However smart he may be. He's a lot like Nathan really. Just uh, less big."

Yeah, less big by a few thousand pounds and two extra heads. He looked back at Harry, "What...do y'all do exactly?"

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:43 am

There was something a bit refreshing in the idea that three crows could go fetch Martin - for one, it implied that Martin was not, say, twice as long as a school bus. Harry didn't really have anything against giant reptiles, but he wanted to keep the number of creatures that potentially wanted to eat him to a minimum, and since he already had Joey here... well, best to just stick with that, wasn't it?

He watched the flight of the crow for a moment, noting the direction it took, then returning his attention to Joey, and the conversation they were having. "I guess... the simplest answer is that we keep people safe," he answered, "In... in a way that acknowledges that 'safety' might not mean the same thing to one person as it does to another. I think that's the sticking point, with things like... oh, I don't know, Assurance and the Society. Maybe they mean well, but they don't always understand. For us, a lot of research goes into that understanding, into knowing what's going to make someone feel at home."

He put his hands in his pockets, trying to think of examples. Well, examples were easy, but it was a matter of giving Joey enough detail to understand, without so much as would compromise the Foundation. Harry supposed if it came to it, he didn't need to describe the anomalies at all - just some of the things that had worked for some of them. Some of the things that had ended up being important. "Maybe you need more space. Maybe you need less space, because too much space makes you uncomfortable. Maybe you like technology, or maybe you like animals. Maybe you can take care of yourself, or maybe you need help with basic functions. Maybe you like being with people, maybe you like to be left alone. See what I mean? There's no one right way for everyone."

Harry gave Joey a nod. "Like, for you? I'd guess one of your requirements would be being able to hang out with your animal buddies. I've only known you for a few minutes, and I can already tell that trying to separate you would make you feel isolated and threatened. Unsafe. I wouldn't want to see that happen to you, Joey. I want you to feel safe, whatever ends up happening."
Capacitor
The God-Damned Lightning
Astra
A Manufactured Deity
Prism
Like, Totally Brilliant?
Eternal Flame
Pax City's Phoenix

Amicus

Post by Amicus » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:45 am

Joey listened as Harry gave his answer. Keeping people safe. And that exactly what safe meant was what not everyone agreed on. Explaining Assurance and the Society didn't really have the same requirements. It was difficult there for him to get, he didn't understand everything about people. No thanks to his parents.

He went on to explain how circumstances changed for different individuals. Including Joey as an example, and his need for being with his animal friends. They were what had always been reliable. Though, he still missed Nathan. He probably always would. He nodded thoughtfully thinking on it, it would still be a few minutes before one of the crows brought Martin with them. Or all three of them did. Who knows with those guys, well, guys and gal.

"So, like, how do you all decide what to do with them?" he asked furrowing his brow in thought, "And...what rules are there?"

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:20 am

”Well, I don’t do much deciding,” Harry said, ”Like I said, I’m mostly there to organize paperwork. It’s more experienced personnel that make the decisions, and they do it by reviewing a whole lot of... uh, well, paperwork. Research notes, interviews, that sort of thing, you know? Rules kind of vary by who you end up working for - some places are more strict, others are full of nutters.” He probably should have found a more professional way of putting that last, really. And a lot of the nutters had kind of gotten wiped out, along with the rest of -

-No, wait, that didn’t happen.

”Um. Depends on who it is, or what it is, too? You know. A person like you would be treated a lot differently than something that was basically a... a weird paperweight that summoned hedgehogs or something.” Did they have one of those? Harry didn’t think they had one of those, but It wouldn’t have been entirely impossible. Point-Six would have known. If she’d still been alive.

If she’d ever existed at all, that was. Which she hadn’t.

”We don’t have one of those, by the way. The paperweight-hedgehog thing. At least, I don’t think we do. Hey, if we did, maybe you could talk to the hedgehogs and see where they came from! See, there’s a possible job opportunity right there. Displaced theoretical hedgehog orientation supervisor. That even sounds like an actual job title. The job’s what you make of it, Joey - and the possibilities are dimensionless.”
Capacitor
The God-Damned Lightning
Astra
A Manufactured Deity
Prism
Like, Totally Brilliant?
Eternal Flame
Pax City's Phoenix

Amicus

Post by Amicus » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:44 am

(Process of getting Martin: On the way)

"Yeah I guess I kind of see." He said in thought as Harry explained the difference between what jobs and rules were like. Some strict, some "nutters" as he called them. Then just continuing on to explain that it really did just depend on the people. And mentioned a paperweight that summoned hedgehogs, "A do what now?" he said probably too quiet for Harry to actually hear, though it didn't really matter because he said right away that they didn't have one to which Joey nodded.

But just a bit off because of the fact it didn't even sound like something that would be all that strange to this guy. Using it even as an example of a job that could work for Joey. "Yeah, yeah I mean I guess. If they could actually understand where they were. I mean, after awhile I suppose they might figure it out. I think that might be a little overthinking it."

He stepped to the side to avoid a lamp, then got back into step, "So...are you just a human or what. You do smell human but so do most. Well...you know, unless I actually taste which I have no intention of doing."

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:20 pm

”Oh. Right. I guess hedgehogs aren’t known for their general intelligence, are they? Although if they hung out with you long enough maybe they’d be a bit brighter? This is... completely irrelevant to anything. Off the tangent, Harry.” His tendency to go off on tangents like that probably would have made him a good researcher, he was aware - but researchers were weird, and didn’t always have the ability to get off those tangents again.

No, he wasn’t really a researcher. Harry didn’t know exactly what he was, but that was why he’d refused to pick an area of specialization. He was aware that there were still some people who were bothered by that, but he didn’t let it bother him. He knew where he belonged.

And he knew he wasn’t supposed to say that, either. Oh, well.

On the subject of disturbing tangents, Joey was going on about what Harry smelled like, which was... hopefully not a mid-afternoon snack. ”Er. Um. No tasting, please. I’m, uh... trying not to be judgmental here, Joey, but I’ll tell you I’m willing to be pretty judgmental when it comes to not getting eaten, you know?” Yeah. It was probably allowed, in the interest of self-preservation.

Which was not at all like... fruit preservation. Got yourself in a bit of a jam, there, Harry? He suppressed a snicker - that really wasn’t funny. Okay... okay, it was kinda funny. But... not something he wanted to happen. ”I’m human, though. Just plain human, no alien origins or divine avatarization or metahuman DNA or whatever the cool kids have got these days. I am distressingly normal and entirely uninteresting.”
Capacitor
The God-Damned Lightning
Astra
A Manufactured Deity
Prism
Like, Totally Brilliant?
Eternal Flame
Pax City's Phoenix