Friends in cages [PM or Discord ask to join]

Roleplay locations.
Amicus

Re: Friends in cages [PM or Discord ask to join]

Post by Amicus » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:39 am

Joey cocked his head as Harry made his reference about backstory, and then something about a 'Number Four Private Drive.' He held out his hands apologetically, "I have zero clue what any of that means. I know all those words...seperately."

Harry joked about not being grown up yet and Joey chuckled, at least he got that one, "I may be a year away from being a legal adult. But I sure don't feel like it either. If you ever figure it out, please, enlighten me. I haven't the foggiest idea what that's like. Barely feel like I should be living alone. I mean, I have my friends. I mean, my animal friends. But...nevermind." he sighed and just kept on walking.

Till asked about if he liked it in Millenium. And kind of asked the US as an question over it? "Well...it's good I think? I mean, there's a lot of supers around here. And maybe I can learn from that. And there's food, and housing. I'll be honest don't expect me to have high standards. I mean we had land back home but I don't really get all of what people do. Like, uh, funeral stuff. And, uh, the flashy superhero bits. Or why fancy phones and stuff are such a big deal. Maybe I was just too focused on my friends to really care about any of that."

And boy would some of those supers taste good. Venator thought.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:24 pm

Asset: Harry Thompson, N-Class-C
Purpose: Investigation of a potentially anomalous individual

"Quite all right, Joey," Harry assured him, "No one at work knows what I'm talking about half the time anyway. And I don't always get all of what people do either, to be honest. That just means I've still got space to learn, though. I think life would get pretty boring, if you ever ran out of things to learn."

He frowned a little bit about Joey's concern about living alone. It was a fair thing to worry about, he thought. "You been on your own long?" Long enough to take care of himself, anyway - Joey might have had eating habits even worse than the usual teenage boy, but he at least seemed like he managed to keep himself tidy.

Presentable. The word was presentable.

"Have you looked into living with other people at all?" he added, thoughtfully, "I mean... there have to be people in the city looking for someone to share an apartment with, you could look into that. Find someone else who likes animals or something? Or some sort of work-study program, something you're interested in?"

Like an internship with the Foundation? Too early, though. Harry didn't want to scare the kid off - and there was still that whole matter of eating people that needed to be considered, at some point.

Amicus

Post by Amicus » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:23 pm

Well at least Joey wasn't alone in the lack of awareness on what Harry was talking about. Space to learn, that was a positive thing to focus on. Though Joey definitely admitted, he wished he could skip that part. Or, at least, jump a few steps along the way. Then Harry asked about how long he'd been on his own. The boy made a clicking sound, "Uh...away from people. Around the last 3-4 years. And yes, I am aware, that that is generally not acceptable for someone who was at the age I was at. But I just...couldn't see other people as parents. And their lives were just too different. I'm aware aside from the eyes I might look like I could fit in. But...it was just wrong." wasn't really much else he could say about that. He could live on his own just fine, technically, at the expensive of legality. He did legitimately run away. But, it was too him the better of the choices.

Question about living with other people, someone to share an apartment with who likes animals. That part got a slight chuckle. THen comment on some kind of work-study program. Joey hissed through his teeth, clearly showing he didn't really think that'd work, "They'd have to like animals much more then most people. I have three talking crows, who pranked a guy over the phone for who knows how long, a snake who has a tendency to watch outsiders, a lot of rats and rodents that visit regularly. Usually there's at least four to seven. A salamander that just kind of comes and goes, and there's a cat that wanders around. Surprisingly, with the salamander quite a lot." Joey explained the entourage that followed him, he held out his hands, "And that's just an average day, in a place that I've only been in a few months. Martin and the Three musketeers, sorry, the snake and the crows. They're the more intelligent of the group. Martin's been around since my parents died. Anyway, I just don't think it'd work out."

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:55 pm

"No, I get it," Harry said, in the sort of tone that had just enough of a hint of distraction to imply that he really did get it, because part of his mind was drifting back to the places where he'd understood, the reasons why he'd...

No, none of that had ever happened. "You've got to find the place where you belong," he added, quietly, "If it's not where you belong, then it doesn't feel right." Yeah. He definitely remembered the way that had never felt, because it had never happened. "I'd like to help you with that, if I could... but I don't know if I'm the right person for that job, either. I know some places where the animals might not be a problem, though."

He looked over at Joey, not sure if he really wanted to commit, or just be committed. Maybe a little of both. This was about to get a little too close to the Hal Franklin Note Poke The Anomaly And See What Happens method of research, and he did not like that at all. It didn't have to be that, though. There was a difference between a gentle touch and sticking a knife in. He drew a slow breath, and imagined that the butterfly that definitely wasn't real would not let him do anything too stupid. He could imagine her sitting on his shoulder, waiting patiently. She'd been gone for a while - not that she was really there right now. He kind of wondered where she hadn't been.

"I expect it's the cannibalism that's more of an issue for potential roommates, though, isn't it? Not everyone was entirely distracted by the little tiff between Society and Assurance with that Rampage thing. That a compulsion, or a requirement?"

Amicus

Post by Amicus » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:23 pm

A place where he belonged. Yeah, that was sort of it. Unfortunately, that wasn't easy to find. Harry sounded like he thought he could help. Course, Joey wasn't exactly optimistic but he smiled appreciatively. He did leave out the part about his animals got progressively larger and weirder. Such as Martin being able to generate functionally any effect he wanted with poison. Or the sheer size and power that Nathan had grown to, before he had died. And of course, the issue with Venator. And the boys natural instincts.

illirica wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:55 pm
I expect it's the cannibalism that's more of an issue for potential roommates, though, isn't it?

Secondary lenses flickered over the boys eyes as the pupils widened, He's a threat. Get outside with him, we know where all the cameras are, then bite him. We poison him, and we run. Can't stay to feed. Then we leave this city. Unless he has allies, check first. those words split into Joey's mind in an instant from Venator. Joey kept moving, but every muscle in his body was twitching in preparation. He knew about the cannabalism, he knew about what Joey had been doing when that creature was Rampaging. Compulsion or requirement? How much did he or didn't he know, what did he want? What allies did he have? He could kill him right now, get it over with. The man didn't smell superhuman. Even without having too much human flesh left in him, he was definitely going to be faster then any average human. And he just needed a clip of a bite to finish it.

But not yet. Those second eyelids flicked back, but his face was concerned, he was wary now. He was watching every move that Harry was making, and anything anyone else was doing. Every movement, every scent. "What do you want and who are you with?" the words were form someone who was afraid, quiet, and concerned, "I killed my parents just so that more people wouldn't die. You have no idea what I might have become if I'd stayed with them and accepted whatever it is my father was. It's not my fault."

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:06 pm

"Easy, Joey," Harry said, calmly, not breaking stride. He kept his voice rational, soothing. He wasn't exactly as good with anomalies as some people were, but he'd not heard enough of that during times that hadn't existed that he knew how to strike the right tone, even if he couldn't anchor the reality of it.

Not that she would have even admitted she was doing that, back when she... wasn't.

"Do you think you're the first person who I've come across with an ability they couldn't quite control all the time? Or one that wasn't exactly conducive to the whole 'superhero' mentality? I know, I hit you with that kind of fast, and I'm sorry for that. I'd have liked to get to know you better first. You seem like the sort of person I'd enjoy hanging out with." A sigh, regretful, and a shrug. It wasn't hard to be convincing of that fact, just because it was true. Joey really did seem like a good kid - sure, he had some quirks, but he had a good outlook on life, a good sense of humor. There were worse people out there, certainly.

"I wanted to get to you before someone else did. Society of Superheroes knows about you as well - they were there, Joey. They're likely to toss you up in that space prison of theirs - and I don't even know what Assurance would do to you. A lot of the organizations out there aren't very... understanding. The people I work for... well. We try to be more open-minded about things."

The boy's nervousness was totally understandable, the shift in his voice... well, that was less so. Harry wasn't sure if he was supposed to have noticed that or if that was just hisimagination."I've known this whole time," he added, in the same reasonable, even tone, "And that didn't change what I thought about you. I'm not going to make you do anything you don't want to." He shook his head, emphatically. "I've seen people do that. It's not right. I'd like to help you - but only if you want to be helped."

Amicus

Post by Amicus » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:30 pm

Harry acted calm, he didn't change movement in spite of the flicker of that second eyelid. It only concerned Venator and Joey even more. The tone was calm, but so were those of his parents when his father was casually eating human limbs. Calm did not mean right. Harry explained he wasn't unused to meeting people with strange abilities, that part sounded just about right with how much he knew already. He claimed he wanted to get to know him better first but...how much could he know to trust that? Joey was, very simply, scared.

Society of superheroes. Yeah they were there. One of them even told him to leave and stop eating from the body. Of course they knew, and would be aware. But...they wouldn't know the context. All they knew was some kid taking chunks out of a corpse and eating from it. Joey swallowed, some space prison. He and Venator both felt fear of that. Joey, because being locked up in a cage for the rest of his life. For who knows how long. Was just...scary. And Venator because of his great desire for flesh, and the need to hunt, and move, and be free. And Assurance, they were the ones who created the First Citizen right? He didn't trust that guy, there was no way he'd trust them. Harry was saying they were different. Whoever they were.

There was no imagination in that shift in voice, because that was what happened when Venator peaked through. When Joey and Venator agreed on something so fully that in truth, they were speaking as one. It wasn't often, except when fighting sometimes. But it was there. Joey bit his lip, his tongue flicked out. Forked. More information then before. More directions of scents.

He said he wouldn't make him do what he didn't want to do. And he'd help, if he wanted to be helped. Joey swallowed again. "And help how? At...when I took a bite out of that man at Rampage he was already dead. And the monster it...it was killing people. I was starving, in every sense of the word. Venator was starving. If I hadn't done it then...I don't know what would have happened." he said quietly, "I never killed anyone innocent. I killed my parents yes, they weren't innocent. And...the man he was already dead. I didn't mean to do it. I was...just so hungry. I don't know how you expect to fix me when It's in my nature to be the way I am. Whatever my father was I don't like it. That's why-" careful with your words

Joey let out a breath trying to calm himself, "I know I'm different. I'm not a mutant, or a meta, or anything like that. It's in my genes to be a hunter of things that make me more powerful. And generally, that's people. My dad, he didn't stop himself. He just kept going. And if it wasn't for some sense of morality I had, he might still be going on today. I had to reject that side of me, and I'm not talking some Luke Skywalker rejecting the dark side. This would be like for you to reject eating at all and somehow keep living. I have a side of me that's still like my father but...he's only out truly when there's legitimate danger."

"I don't want to get locked up, or end up in a lab or something. And I don't think there's any psychologist that can fix this or if they even should." He said, "I just wanted to live, and to stop my father and people like him if I could."

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:59 pm

The tongue thing was weird, but Harry added it to the ever-growing list of 'not the weirdest thing I've seen' and didn't mention it - especially since he was actually getting somewhere. Venator, huh? Names were important. He'd been cataloguing all of them. Barney, Martin, The Three Musketeers. For all that Joey didn't watch TV or read much, he knew who the Three Musketeers were, and Luke Skywalker as well. Venator, though, Venator was... interesting. Latin? The... wise guy? The old guy? No, that was probably venetor with an e, like venerate - yeah, that was what he was thinking of. With an a it was... Harry had no idea, he didn't speak Latin.

Point Six would have slipped an entire definition into his reality, complete with declensions. She wasn't here any more, though... no, she never had been. Or had she? Harry wasn't quite sure whether or not the lost 707 was captured under the umbrella of that never happened, but it was probably best not to tempt fate with that one. He missed her, though. He was sure he wasn't the only one. Sometimes he still imagined having a butterfly around, but it wasn't the same one. It didn't do file downloads, for one. And it didn't exist, for another.

Mostly, Harry just listened. He wondered if Joey had ever had anyone do that before, just listen while he talked about all the weird stuff. Probably, but probably not from someone who was... necessarily a good influence. It sounded like his dad had been a real piece of work, and his mom... Joey didn't say much about her, but possibly she was an accomplice, or an enabler. Both could be bad. "I already told you I'm not going to lock you up, Joey. As for a psychologist... well. Let's just say I know a few who are pretty good with the out-of-the-ordinary, and non-judgmental. It could help. One of them is pretty good about understanding urges and controlling them - not 'control' in the sense of never do that, but 'control' in the sense of where and when is this appropriate? Channeling, I suppose, is a better word for it. I don't know if he could help you or not, but... that doesn't mean you don't deserve help. Especially if it makes you feel better."

So... you munch on strong things to make you stronger. That seemed to sum it up, didn't it? And Joey was holding back as best he could, but the compulsion was there. Was... always there?

"Is Venator with you now?"

Amicus

Post by Amicus » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:15 pm

You could learn a lot in just a few years spending vaguely more time around people. But also, there was the sad fact that not everyone his father or mother brought back were dead right away. Sometimes they just wanted to save a meal, stay in. He'd met people he knew were going to die. And there was nothing he could really do about that. Even if he got them out, his father could easily find them. And then he'd realize his own son was against them. And who knows where that would lead.

Harry repeated that he wasn't going to lock him up, which was all good from a verbal perspective. But Venator was still suspicious. He also mentioned a psychologist who dealt with things that were abnormal. Well, were Joey fully aware of the organization he'd realize he was probably one of the least unusual things they'd worked out. And his description of controlling sounded...correct. Because there was no eradication of Venator, that wasn't going to happen. Not in the sense that Joey thought of him. No certainty if he'd be able to help. But he made it sound like it was something that deserved to be tried.

Joey looked down in thought, it didn't sound like a bad idea. Aside from, well, the existing concern about if he was lying or not. There was...a way to test that. Martin. However, whether or not Harry was willing to let a snake bite him to inject a venom that the creature specifically conjured up for such a purpose, well that was an uncertainty.

Harry then brought up another question, is Venator with him. Joey chuckled a little, "If I'm here, Venator is here. Imagine him like...if you took all instincts, and what I disliked about my parents that I had, and turned it into a person. That's what he is, kind of. As a result, when I'm having instincts, it's usually just Venator. Vocal or not. Because I was afraid if I didn't...well I'd end up just like my parents." he explained shaking his head, "It's easier to tell someone else no to something truly evil, to think about what they're saying as not yourself...so that when you're told to eat someone. You can say no."

He did not explain that when there was Venator, there was not always him.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:13 pm

"Oh, he's your headclown. Got it." Harry Thompson, official expert on saying sentences that probably shouldn't exist as if they were perfectly normal. It seemed like Venator was more carnivorian than carnivalian, but Harry figured the idea was similar enough that he was on reasonably familiar ground here. "How about we go get that burger, and you can think a little bit about what you want to do while you eat?" he offered, a suggestion that he figured would be pretty reasonable. The last thing Joey wanted was to feel pressured, after all, and so Harry wasn't going to pressure him - he was going to let the kid make his own choices.

He'd come around, Harry thought. After all, there were a lot worse places that he could end up than somewhere like the Foundation - but Joey needed to make that call for himself, otherwise he wouldn't be happy with his decision. Being a teenager was kind of just... like that, Harry analyzed, from the far and distant wisdom of twenty.

He had a feeling, though, if Joey met a few other anomalies a little more like himself, he might have a better feeling about all of this - but a lot of the anomalies like Joey weren't exactly tame, were they? That was one of the reasons 908 was so important - he actually had his anomaly under pretty tight control, especially after...

...after that thing that definitely hadn't happened. Yeah. Well, he and Joey would just have an awful lot in common, wouldn't they?

Go at it slowly, though. The kid was skittish, after all. You had to go pretty slowly with skittish anomalies. Harry supposed it wasn't exactly a breach if Joey had never been under the Foundation's umbrella, but that didn't mean it would be good - especially not for Harry, who was likely to be at the middle of it.

Probably not for long, though.

Well, hopefully Venator's tastes didn't extend towards trying to increase Joey's strength at paperwork. It was... maybe a good thing, though, that he didn't have anything more to offer.