Friends in cages [PM or Discord ask to join]

Roleplay locations.
Amicus

Friends in cages [PM or Discord ask to join]

Post by Amicus » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:51 am

A Millenium city Zoo

Joey leaned against the outer fence as he looked into the large cage in which lay a lion, "Heya bud, what's up?" some noises came from the creature as it turned its head to look at him. He smiled, "What happened to your friend?" he asked. He had actually spoken to this lion before, around a week ago. Animals were so much easier to talk to than humans were. They were closer to him, that, and he had always spent more time around animals then people when he was really young. Most people he met were probably victims of his father, and he didn't exactly hang out with his parents much.

The lion, named Kazi, stood up and walked over to him, his answered were simple still. He didn't have the intelligence yet to form as human like thoughts as some of Joey's other friends did. Kazi didn't really know what happened to his friends, just that the people took them away a few days ago and he hadn't seen them since. He was worried. Joey nodded sympathetically, "Sorry about that, I'll try and find out what happened if I can. Though I don't really know if they'll tell me. I'm pretty sure they think I'm either a bit childish for my age, or crazy." he chuckled to himself, "But hey, might as well give it a shot right?"

A thanks came from the creature. Kazi really wasn't all that talkative right now, though to be fair he usually wasn't. He was a pretty reserved lion. Really to the point about things. Not like Eustice at all, though he was an octopus, those things were pretty dang clever once they caught onto communication. Though it really proved difficult behind glass. Joey figured out he could use a kind of signals for him rather then speaking like he normally did. Call it a type of sign language, and the creature did in return, that part he was used to.

"Hey, I'm gonna leave you alone now hm? I gotta go say hi to the monkeys, make sure they're not flinging anything at people k. I'll see you again later Kazi!" he said before hopping on his way. He came here more often now that he lived in Millenium city. It was pretty good place to go to. And he'd made quite a few friends here, mostly not human of course. Admittedly some of them were definitely not happy with their enclosures. But at the same time plenty of them seemed content enough.

As he approached one of the monkeys caught sight of him, this particular one was Spidermonkeys. To most people the first monkey, named Barney, was just screaming and pointing but Joey heard him loud and clear, "Ha, Joey, Joey, it's Joey! Gimme a stick, gimme a stick." he said to the others.

"Barney! No no, they said we're not supposed to do that." he said running up and smiling at the monkey hanging above them as he tried to poke a stick through the fence.

"Stick, take the stick Joey! Just take the stick." Commanded Barney ecstatically. He still had no clue why they were so insistent on him getting a stick.

"Come on Barney I might get in trouble.

The monkey seemed to groan and let it's arms dangle hanging onto the broken tree it was using, "Joeeeeeyy whyyyyyy." he sighed dramatically.

Joey shook his head and crossed his arms, "Becaaaauuuse they said so. Come on don't you want me to come back to see you?"

The two had definitely had a few looks as they talked, naturally, nobody could actually hear what Barney the spider-monkey was saying. All they saw was some seventeen year old babbling to a monkey who kept making noises in return. It was probably a pretty wild looking sight. But to Joey it was very much natural, even if he did know others didn't think so.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Re: Friends in cages [PM or Discord ask to join]

Post by illirica » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:53 am

Asset: Harry Thompson, N-Class-C
Purpose: Investigation of a potentially anomalous individual

The Millennium City Zoo wasn't really where Harry had been expecting to be today, but when the Foundation said "Go take a look at this, Harry," he had learned not to say "Why ME?" Not too loudly anyway, and mostly only because it never actually did any good. In any case, this guy had been on ACF's radar for a little while, certainly since that little altercation where he'd eaten a dead guy.

Harry didn't know if that would have even been ACF's business at all, but Dr. Charleton was keeping an eye on Augustus, and since he'd been there, files had gotten filed. Maybe a little later than they should have been, maybe a little less completely than they could have been - but that was rather the nature with files most of the time, anyway.

Really, these people could stand to be a bit better about paperwork. Harry's day so far was fortunately - or unfortunately, depending on who you asked - devoid of paperwork, and he was here at the zoo, pretending to be an unobtrusive college aged kid, which he was spectacularly good at by nature of being an unobtrusive college aged kid - even though he'd sort of officially dropped out of college a year ago, to "pursue other opportunities," as they put it.

He was also completely unremarkable, other than being decently good with paperwork - and that sheer unremarkability made him one of ACF's more valuable assets as far as investigating these things went. He had a feeling already that he was going to be the next Agent Richards, now that Agent Richards himself was... pursuing other opportunities, Harry supposed, was a good way to put it.

Harry was a little worried about that, but he knew he wasn't the right person to ask questions - especially not about 707. Not after...

No, that hadn't happened.

Which was, in a circuitous manner, why he was here at the zoo watching a kid talk to monkeys. Well. Might as well get the show on the road. "Hey." That was an unobtrusive college kid sort of 'hey,' not a Harry didn't know what the [mild expletive] else to say sort of 'hey,' definitely. "Want to introduce me to your friend?" Did you tell him about that guy you ate?
Capacitor
The God-Damned Lightning
Astra
A Manufactured Deity
Prism
Like, Totally Brilliant?
Diva
Superhero Spectacular
Eternal Flame
Pax City's Phoenix

Amicus

Post by Amicus » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:11 am

"Can Henry come visit?" Barney asked swaying back and forth now with one hand on the limb still while he picked at the fence aimlessly.

"Well I can see but I got a little worried because he said one of you snatched at him."

He smelled someone close and turned his head as they spoke to him. Seemed like he was somewhere between 18-22? Maybe 24? Hard to tell for sure.

"You..." he raised his eyebrows in surprise, someone actually wanted him to introduce him to one of his friends and it wasn't some five year old who believed in Santa Claus. "I mean sure, this is Barney. He's a bit hyper most of the time, or...adhd maybe? I don't actually know I only know so many spider monkey's."

Barney looked at the man and then back at Joey, "Gimme his shirt. I want his shirt. Does he have a phone? I want that too. How about a watch? I like watches, they're shiny and make the clicking noises." he said, of course, in sounds much more akin to chirps then actual speech but they had some sense of pattern to them. It was just so wild that even if you were a linguist you couldn't figure it out. Thank goodness for animal speech.

"Yeahhh he wants your shirt, and your phone, and your watch, which of course, he couldn't keep anyway." The last bit he said towards Barney more then the new person. "What's you're name? Maybe he'll remember you next time you come, or I will. I usually remember names." And smells, but he wasn't going to mention that part.

He seems innocent but pay attention. They don't ask you to introduce animals. He may be trying to prove you're crazy, or maybe he's a friend of that beast you took a bite out of, or maybe...well you get the idea. the voice was all too familiar, Venator. And it didn't really show up on Joey's face that he was speaking to the boy right now. Afterall it was only a thought, and it was one that he was used to hearing just as much as any other.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:15 pm

"Hi, Barney." Wasn't Barney a dinosaur? From our imagination? And when he's tall, that's what we call a dinosaur sensation? Aaaand that was going to be stuck in his head all day, wasn't it? Harry wasn't really worried about being introduced to a monkey - after the Foundation, this was pretty basic, really.

"I hear the cool kids don't give out their names these days," Harry answered, easily enough. There were plenty of things in this world that you didn't want to give your name to, after all - fae, eldritch, certain anomalies... he wasn't about to go handing his out that easily. Besides, what he had said was technically true - everyone seemed to have an alias, didn't they? Though he supposed Agent Richards never had - although, given that he'd been going about impersonating Lucifer lately, maybe he'd pick one up soon.

When the devil is too busy...

Harry pulled back from that thought, sharply. Apparently he'd just managed to find something that was legitimately a worse option than the Barney song. "Just call me Harry." It was a good, common name. The fact that it happened to be his was unrelated, of course, and had nothing to do with the fact that apparently coming up with an alias was a lot harder than he'd expected. "I'll, uh... just keep my shirt on, I think. Wouldn't want all the girls here to start swooning." Nothing could be farther from the truth - Harry had the build of a skinny college student who could definitely stand to put on several pounds, but the only "lifting" he actually did was paperwork, and he was pretty sure those manila folders didn't count for too much as far as "the gainz" were concerned.

"How about you? What do you like to be called?"
Capacitor
The God-Damned Lightning
Astra
A Manufactured Deity
Prism
Like, Totally Brilliant?
Diva
Superhero Spectacular
Eternal Flame
Pax City's Phoenix

Amicus

Post by Amicus » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:18 pm

He responded back to the monkey, he was rather friendly. Right? Faking it or not? Hard to tell. Regardless, it wasn't like Joey intended to change much because of that. He wasn't going to pretend to not talk to them and he didn't feel hiding anything would be good. Besides all in all Joey was a friendly individual, even if Venator was one of the most cynical beings out there.

He smiled and raised an eyebrow as Harry said he heard 'cool kids don't give out their names' which he had heard nothing about. Then again, he wasn't exaclty a 'cool kid.' Still he ended up giving him his name anyway, Harry. Joey nodded in thought, Well now I have a name and a face to tie the smell too at least. Real or not. Venator thought inside the boys head.

"Oh yes I'm sure, would be a tragedy." Joey said jokingly as Harry mentioend the reason why he'd keep his shirt on.

Barney however blew a raspberry, "Come on you've got less muscles then a normal human. he muttered causing Joey to just furrow his brow at the spidermonkey, "That's just rude, I'm not telling him that."

He asked Joey what he would like to be called and the hybrid smiled, "Just Joey is good. Please don't use Joseph, it'd just sound so wrong to me. Feels way to formal and time consuming for me." he added, "If Barney ever tries to give you stuff...don't take it. I nearly got in trouble last time. because-"
"STICK!" Barney interrupted loudly trying to shove another stick through the fence though very inn-effectively so, "He needs a stick, give him the stick!"

"He can't have the stick Barney," Joey said running his hands over his face but still smiling, "You gotta stop with the sticks."

Another raspberry.

Joey furrowed his brow and looked at Harry curiously, "Why do you act as though you believe I can talk to them? And you know, actually come talk to me? I mean I'm sure some people may believe I'm just a meta, which isn't exactly true. But I think a lot just think I'm just weird."

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:36 pm

The kid was not impressed by Harry's stunning physique - which was perfectly fair. The point of the comment, after all, had been to put him at ease, and it seemed to have worked out well in that regard. Half of the conversation seemed to be progressing along a venue that Harry didn't have access to, which reminded him of being in the same room when Hack and ...

No.

She'd never been there. Those little unspoken conversations had never happened.

The sudden clang of a stick against the monkey's enclosure jolted him back into the present. The kid - Joey - had been warning him about such things, apparently the stick was meant for Harry. A bit of a dubious honor, but probably not the worst one he'd been given.

"Don't worry, I'm not about to accept gifts from strange... er. Strangers." The monkey was just a monkey, but did it want to be called that? Was this a Librarian situation? Oook. It wasn't a primate, but maybe monkeys had their own word for themselves and found the term 'monkey' offensive? Although, it seemed to be okay with 'Barney,' so maybe he was overthinking the social intelligence of a creature that was currently banging a stick unsuccessfully in Harry's general direction.

"Why wouldn't I believe you?" he turned Joey's latest question around on itself, "There's all sorts of interesting stuff in the world, isn't there? Metas aren't everything. If you ask the right people, you can find evidence for ghosts or wizards or vampires all sorts of other weird stuff. You talking to animals is just... not that weird, on the scale of things, really. I try to be open-minded about things like that. Maybe that makes me weird, but... I don't know. I guess I'm okay with that."

Harry smiled, unconcerned, hopefully reassuringly. Joey was just... a kid, really. Kind of a weird kid. Harry had been a weird kid not all that long ago. Some would probably argue Harry was still a weird kid. It didn't matter - he'd figured out where he- ...Where he felt most comfortable.

"So if you're not exactly a meta, how does it work? Not to offend you or anything, just... you brought it up, and it's kind of interesting, that's all."
Capacitor
The God-Damned Lightning
Astra
A Manufactured Deity
Prism
Like, Totally Brilliant?
Diva
Superhero Spectacular
Eternal Flame
Pax City's Phoenix

Amicus

Post by Amicus » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:59 pm

"Pffft, Barney went, that noise was at least one that was noticeable. He hung upside down by his feet again and just started swaying back and forth watching while his arms dangled. No accepting stuff from strangers. Ridiculous. Truly ridiculous. Human customs were stupid. At least in Barney's eyes.

Joey shrugged at the comment of why people questioned the validity. People seemed to have no problem believing things, as long as they didn't have to do with someone that was right in front of him. At least when it came to him. Then again, he didn't always exude a sense of sanity. So that probably didn't help any. Harry explained with everything there was, he might as well be open minded about things. Fair point. Joey never really thought anything was actually impossible. Not with how many things people could do, and the nature of his powers. He actually didn't know if there was an upper limit to what would happen if he just ate like crazy, or ate someone insanely powerful. Of course, he didn't intend on trying.

Another question, about, since he wasn't a meta, what exactly it was that gave him his abilities.

Watch it a simple warning from Venator not to reveal to much and to pay attention. He had a tendency to be paranoid, but, there was some reservations that he was right about. Mainly the desire to eat people. He let out a hum and leaned back in thought. "Uh, you know that's a bit hard to answer. My mother was human, but my father was...well I don't actually know. He never told me. Mom did say he 'came from the sea' but that doesn't exactly help much. I mean, a lot of people will say we came from the sea originally anyway. But...he was just, the way he was. And I got a portion of it. Better senses, these eyes of mine, talking to animals, breathing underwater, some other superhuman traits but those are mostly just physical ability." At least he realized it was probably best not to mention that he grew far stronger when eating a fresh human, or intelligent/powerful creature. "I think it might be some kind of animal telepathy though. Or...something, longer I talk to them, better we get at talking to each other and smarter they seem to get. Though, I have no idea how smart. My first dog Nathan, uh, he died years ago. Haven't had any...pets I guess is the word, as long as I had him. Pretty dang smart though, smarter then some people."

He failed to mention this dog was in fact massive and had three heads. Bit of a reminiscing for him. He missed him, he missed all the friends he had back then. Some died, others just had to leave. Once his parents were dead, there was no way he could take care of all of them not with the attention people would give to them once they found them.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:08 am

Mother human, father of questionable origin. It was an answer, but Harry still didn't know if it was the one he was searching for or not. At least it was the pleasant-conversation sort of analysis, rather than the potential-death sort. Harry found this vastly preferable. "Huh." Not exactly a lot of information in that single syllable, but it was a symbol of interest, if nothing else. Harry's mind turned, considering various possibilities with all the diligence of someone who was pretty good with paperwork.

"Is it all animals? Mammalia? Or can you talk to... I don't know, fish and frogs? What about insects? What about animals you've never seen before? What about animals that aren't supposed to exist? If you ran into a jackalope, could you speak jackalope?" Harry grinned suddenly, "Dragon? Unicorn?" Not that he had ever seen a unicorn, but hey, the... potential still existed. Think positive, right? Sure, why not.

"Telepathy's an interesting theory," he added, "Because I can understand what you're saying to Barney just fine, but obviously so can he - and I can't understand what he's saying, but obviously you can... so there's got to be something there besides pure language. Have you, uh... have you tried talking to an animal in another language? Like Spanish or German or Klingon or something?"
Capacitor
The God-Damned Lightning
Astra
A Manufactured Deity
Prism
Like, Totally Brilliant?
Diva
Superhero Spectacular
Eternal Flame
Pax City's Phoenix

Amicus

Post by Amicus » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:32 am

Well he got quite interested. Especially in the talking to animals part. Joey smiled, someone was interested in things he could do. Sort of thing made him kind of happy. Given his previous experiences where some people were aware of his less then pacifistic life, it was good. Lots of questions to as to what he could talk to, the usual ones especially at first. And he had answers for them too, though he wasn't quite sure about how some of them worked.

"If it has a brain, I can probably talk to it. Fish and frogs tend to be pretty stupid to formulate words. Insects are even worse, I've almost never found any normal insect who could say much, sometimes Bees can. Octopi also talk a lot but we need to use sign language for them a lot. Uh, I don't know about a Jackalope but I imagine I could. Never met a dragon or unicorn either, I have met some other unusual things though." He answered with some bit of glee in explaining how it all worked. He asked about how it could be potentially telepathy. And how it worked with Barney. Then came up the question of talking to them in another language. And Joey breathed in in thought, "You know I never actually thought about it. I have talked to some of them in French and it seemed to work fine. Though I have no idea if I could speak in French to ones who I've mostly talked to in English. Also dogs and monkey's do tend to already learn some words if they're around them long enough, so it's got to have some kind of effect I imagine."

He turned to Barney who was just about tired of not doing anything and (in French) asked ["Can you understand what I'm saying well? Say the color of the bars is white"]

The spider monkey just stared at him, "I got something about understanding you and bars Joey, at least be consistent with me please."

The boy shrugged, "Just testing."

"Guess it's conditional. I have been able to influence wide groups of birds and insects without having to use words, but those are common so I can get their languages easier, and they also tend to be more easily ordered about depending on the species. You know I've never tried Klingon but uh...I only know English and French, well, and some general sounds and signals I use, not any of those languages that are fictional but actual languages types of things. I didn't exactly watch much TV or have many books around. Haven't even seen more then like two episodes of Star Trek." He paused, "I bet ya that Martin could help tell me what it's like. Oh, he's another animal friend, of mine. A snake, actually, but he's been around me for awhile. Got pretty intelligent actually, I'm pretty sure he'd beat most kids at chess. He's no Nathan, but since Nathan he's the smartest animal friend I've had."

That fact definitely had to do with the time he spent with the snake, and how much they'd spoken. Martin had changed in more then just that and changes were still occurring.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:01 pm

"So there's a slight blend into language dependence, but it's not 100%, then?" Harry inquired, "That's... strange. Huh. But there can't be a purely vocative component, otherwise sign language wouldn't work, and you said it did. Is that with all cephalopods, or just octopi, or just the one octopus? This is..." He trailed off, then blinked, and shook his head, laughing. "This is too many questions. Sorry. I'm sorry. I will, uh... try to stop being weird now. I don't think it's likely to last very long, but hey, gotta make the effort."

Being curious about weirdness had been what had gotten him into the Foundation in the first place, after all. Harry thought that most of the time it felt like he'd been with ACF for ages, but really it had only been since last summer - a little more than a year, at this point. Before that... well, he probably hadn't been too much different from kids like Joey, except with less special abilities and more Star Trek.

Really, Joey was probably ahead of the game, there. "You ever study this with anyone? Like... anyone professional, I mean. Not just some stranger at the zoo asking you a bunch of questions."
Capacitor
The God-Damned Lightning
Astra
A Manufactured Deity
Prism
Like, Totally Brilliant?
Diva
Superhero Spectacular
Eternal Flame
Pax City's Phoenix