The Empyrean [SOS Team HQ]

Roleplay locations.
MAXIMUM MAN

Re: Decisions of MAXIMUM Urgency

Post by MAXIMUM MAN » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:12 am

"You're right Elektra, she is just another member which is why she should receive a punishment for defying a direct order from a superior."

MAXIMUM MAN wasn't the type to get frustrated very easily however, since joining this time's SOS he had been forced to repeat himself countless times. He took the position of leadership to help the members of the team become more efficient heroes. At every turn there were people who seemed to want to speak about being better but, were too afraid to take the right steps. For the first time, the people in this room would see him get angry.

"We can't move forward if we REFUSE to take the right steps to BE. BETTER!" He took a deep breath, a wave of calm washing over him. He couldn't lose his temper here, that wouldn't help anybody. After a moment of silence he resumed speaking. "We all know that Mana is approaching adulthood but, turning 18 doesn't suddenly give her the years of combat experience we all have. I started hero work doing nightly patrols. I didn't touch my first world ending crisis till I had been working for at least two years. I'm not saying we stick Manaria in some sort of year long training program but, she needs to be put on the bench for now. Her continued recklessness in the field is going to get someone else killed. We've tried talking before, we've tried guiding, and continuously she displays a deep misunderstanding of her own mortality. I'm advocating we take her off of major missions and have her work Millennium City for awhile so she can get some practice in. The girl is a genius with real potential she just needs a little more time in the oven. She still gets to work the job but, in a way where there are multiple fallbacks and mentors to help guide her. We can all also run watches with her, help her, and guide her but, we can't do that effectively if there isn't at least some kind of consequence for her actions."

He took a breath, "Outside of Manaria, the SOS shall not bring on a single new young hero. If we do than I'll hand in my watch. We should also remove the prodigy devices from play as well. On paper it's a good idea but, in reality we're giving inexperienced heroes a direct line of access to threats that could pulp them before they have a chance to ask whats going on. The SOS should instead take the time to mentor young heroes. Work the beat, guide them to the right path, and ensure that they aren't put into any serious danger. I understand that they will seek it out themselves but, we shouldn't be giving them a direct line because we think they have potential to maybe do good in the future. Mentoring should be our first course of action."

"Moving forward we shouldn't allow our members to defy orders and get away with it. The only time it should be acceptable is when the orders given would contradict our values as heroes. Outside of that, defiance is a hazard to the lives we risk our own to save. I refuse to be apart of an organization that actively condones risking the lives of the public for the sake of being afraid of their friends getting mad at them."

This side of MAXIMUM MAN was one that almost shocked him. A side that had to play the bad guy in the conversation but, he had seen the effects of what letting others constantly go against the values of being a hero caused. He had faced them himself and it had pushed him to a place where he had to make the one decision that vividly haunts him to this day. He wouldn't let the heroes of this time fall victim to his mistakes.

Azra
Bronze

Re: The Empyrean [SOS Team HQ]

Post by Azra » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:37 am

Elektra exhaled and brushed her bangs aside, a small moment taken to plant her feet for the next steps. Was plenty to respond to and dwell on, she might think on it all more when she had a moment. The archer was rather set on her stance though. "Reality is the only order during all that was to be quiet but ready. To let Nick and Teja talk but be on guard. The order from Teja was not from any authority anymore, and Aristotle wanting her to leave is nothing of consequence. Only thing she really did was resist one of you trying to remove her from the situation. You didn't ask her, didn't tell her, only tried to take her out of the equation." She paused for a moment wanting that to sink in. That there hadn't really been anyone on the team saying this wasn't the fight to be in, that there wasn't any communication.

"As far as I'm concerned the issue wasn't with Teja, or Mana, or anyone who showed up from the Prodigy call. It was us. That Teja went initially in alone. That no explanation for trying to get Mana out there was said, even though you can tell her with a thought. And I don't think taking back the Prodigy devices or trying to stop handing them out is going to help anything. All of that, earlier today was because heroes keep trying to work around eachother over with eachother. They didn't mess up, we did and we've got to be better." Of course there was three of them for a reason, she supposed she might lose to majority vote.

Elektra wasn't going to stop trying to reach out to heroes though and trusting in the team. Neither was she going to advocate some breach in orders when there was a strong case to make that an order wasn't even given. "The next steps to being better I believe is reaching out more and training, not distance and benching. More so though I think we need to focus on the imediate concern of Voltsgeist, which is becoming it sounds like all to real a possibility." She hadn't heard it used much and Elektra didn't say it at all, until now. Because it sounded like the dependency on the weapon was now diffinitively real, and the weight of what that meant was no easy burden.

Ryoko

Post by Ryoko » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:49 am

"Okay," a soft sigh, "I'm going to speak to both of you one at a time so as to avoid any confusion."

She turned to Maximum Man first.

"The PRODIGY devices are as much a tool used for communication as they are a method of translocation. I'm all for restricting the latter function, but I'd rather not remove a direct line of communication from people who are going to run headlong into dangerous situations with or without our presence."

Ryoko kept in mind what the objective of this meeting was. They were here to discuss new ways of keeping people safe, not to cut ties with folks who were better off kept at an arm's reach. Speaking of which-

"And I can't help but feel as though... how to put this? I feel as though you've misunderstood the purpose of this team, Bradley. The thing is... we're not gatekeepers into the world of heroism. We're a support group for people who've already taken up that burden. I understand that you were trained and mentored before you joined a team and took on bigger threats, but that's not the case for anyone else here. That's definitely not the case for the vast majority of people who go out and try to make a difference in the world. And that includes Manaria, herself."

Ryoko had done alot on her own before being asked to join this team. So had literally everyone else on it. And, outside of their group, people donned spandex suits, armor or, hell, just street clothes and dived into danger all on their own without waiting for the permission or approval of anyone.

"When I fought Jackal at the Academy, two kids ran straight into the fight on their own without waiting for anyone's request or permission. One of them was Mana, and she was acting as an independent agent. When I fought Surgath, Ultra made his way to the battleground on his own. He was even younger than Tremor was and he had no problem getting there without anyone's help," she nodded as a recent memory came into mind, "Last week, there was some kid who jumped into the fray against a woman who could summon meteors out of the sky and turn houses into craters with a single blast. And that kid chose to get involved in and make her way over to the scene on her own. You... you see what I'm getting at here?"

Ryoko didn't think that Maximum Man's arguments were baseless. More just... reliant on assumptions that didn't really match the reality of the world that they lived in. She would've loved to not see kids running into danger every time it popped up but... that wasn't really something that anyone could control.

"If you want to restrict the translocation function from the watches so that young heroes can't get into any dangerous situations that they wouldn't have otherwise had the means to get to, sure. And if you want to raise the bar for what a hero has to have accomplished in order for them to officially join the team, I'm all for that," she glanced over to Quiver for a moment before turning her sights back to Maximum, "But... how does distancing ourselves from young heroes do much of anything to stop them from just going out on their own and getting hurt anyways?"

Stopping that was the goal, right? Well, that shit was happening all over the world regardless of superhero team involvement.

"I'm all for mentorship programs and I'd love to train upcoming heroes, but do you really think a mentorship program is going to stop people from running into danger if they've already decided that that's what they want to do?"

An honest question, though Ryoko would've been lying if she said it wasn't more than a little loaded. And then she turned to Quiver.

"And... I disagree. You're right, I didn't tell Mana to evacuate the scene. But an order is an order, even if it isn't auditory. And Mana disobeyed an order that I had given in the interest of her safety. Now, the question is, how much do either of you care about Mana? Because, I'm going to be honest with you guys," Ryoko chortled to herself for a moment, "Unless you intend to take that girl, tie her up, rip her cybernetic limbs off and remove all of her free will, she's just going to keep getting into situations that she can't handle. But benching her? Kicking her off of the team? That's not going to stop that in the slightest. So, here's my proposal! Uh, one sec!"

She got up out of her seat and dissapeared in a blur, followed by a strong gust of wind, as she raced out of the room. A few seconds later, she was back with... notes written in... what appeared to be Latin?

"I know I've been taking my sweet time to actually get to this, but I've been making notes on everyone on the team. Thinking about each of our strengths, weaknesses and, uh... "emergent strengths" that come from working as a team. And I'd like to try to give everyone a path to follow to improve their own abilities. Planning this shit out in advance has produced some wonderful results before, so I'm sticking to that mindset. See?" Maybe Quiver might've been able to read some of it, but Ryoko neglected to consider that Latin was, now, a very very dead language, 'Here's my compromise. I'll be ready by next week. One week. Let's bench Mana until then, and then use this opportunity to show her the importance and effectiveness of following orders."

She glanced over at Bradley, then back at Quiver.

"Thoughts?"

No doubt, the two of them would have plenty to say about that, but she'd have been disappointed if they didn't. All she could hope was that the two of them could listen to logic and prevent their emotions and egos from clouding their judgement.
Active Sandbox Characters: Ryoko/ Kore/ Mina

For all other characters, click here

MAXIMUM MAN

Re: Decisions of MAXIMUM Urgency

Post by MAXIMUM MAN » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:04 pm

As MAXIMUM MAN listened intently to his allies words he focused on exactly what they were saying. They weren't here to argue, they were here to reach a concise conclusion on how to approach the future of the Society of Superheroes. Taking on a role in that job was a key part of why he accepted Teja's offer when she had come to him. What became clearer to him, the more they spoke, was that there a definitive misunderstanding between the three of them as to what exactly their job description was.

"I'm willing to compromise on the prodigy watches. If we can remove the translocation feature as well as no longer discussing important SOS business over that channel. Kid Smash being at Krakatoa was something I was not comfortable with having happen. Beyond that I'd like to clear up a misunderstanding before we continue."

He took a deep breath before continuing.

"Nobody is talking about kicking Manaria off of the team, nobody is talking about distancing ourselves from the world of young heroes. What I'm speaking of is us not taking our duty as role models seriously. I feel that there is a deep misunderstanding as to what our job description is and that misunderstanding needs to be cleared up in order for us to understand each other. To me, a hero is more than a person who saves people, or fights villains, or helps clean up after a disaster, or any number of the other things that heroes do. A hero, at their core, is a person who gives inspires. We give people a sense of hope when they are at their lowest. Every single thing we do affects our ability to accomplish that task. Whether it be a mistake in the field or a slip of the tounge in a conversation. It's why the image of a hero is so important and is even more important than their strength or speed or charm. What I'm trying to say is that public perception is important whether you want it to be or not. What the people think affects our ability to do our jobs because we are role models. When disaster strikes people need to feel safe coming to us and they need to know that we will protect them. Our existence is why the average citizen is able to live a life without fear. As the SOS that role is even more difficult because, we are the premier hero team. We set the standard for the others, whether we want to or not. By accepting and bringing children into situations of extreme danger we are encouraging kids from all walks of life. Those with powers and those who just so happen to be good at Karate, to run headfirst into danger."

He took another pause to let what he said sink in.

"Now, with that being said, I am not saying we need to cut every inexperienced or young hero off. Rather we mentor them in person on the smaller scale. Get them used to being a hero before we thrust them into battle against villains like Surgath. I know for a fact that they will always find a way to get around that but, if we can change what it means to be a hero from the current image of someone who beats up the bad guy to someone who inspires hope we can put a large dent into the number of kids who could get hurt. So yes, I absolutely agree that we need to train to develop our abilities. I still need to get used to operating in my Seventh Cylinder anyway. However, our training should be more focused on developing ourselves as well as our relationship with the communities around the world than just our powers. Humanitarian outreach, talk show appearances, lets show those who look up to us what it means to be beacons of light in a dark world.

As for Manaria I'm in the minority on an extended suspension of major SOS activities so I'll concede but, only after I've had the chance to sit down with her and talk. You are incredibly correct when you say communication is key Elektra. "

Azra
Bronze

Post by Azra » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:05 am

Elektra really found herself in a sea of feelings when it came to the discussion being had. So much being covered, so much perhaps being glossed over and more importantly to her so much felt at odds with eachother. The archer agreed with the talk about how removing communication wasn't something to agree with, and disagreed with the option of removing translocation. Mention of not being trained and mentored felt a bit like a jab at many that the marksman didn't agree with. Sure it was a constant effort and the teenager maybe wasn't as trained as a veteran but that wasn't to say they were untrained. Then was talk of trying to justify the efforts to remove someone from the job and refusal to go. It still just didn't sit right with Elektra.

It was one thing to ask some one to clock out or tell them to. It was another to just clock them out and tell them to roll over and accept that fact. They had to communicate, it seemed a remark on repeat but she truely did believe that. That heroism involved working with eachother and other heroes, with local authorities and civilians. They had to be authoritive but not authoritarian. A blue and gold eye looked over the notes though the old language coming back to her though it did get the archer to smile. It reminded her some of home when she was more the age of the cyborg as opposed to the much older woman she was now.

It was MAXIMUM MAN's turn and a sigh escaped the archer. More talk of trying to prevent or limit the use of translocation. There was talk of inspiration and hope, it raised some heavy questions the archer wasn't sure she wanted to ask but would dwell on as things continued. Words came acting like they had to train the young heroes to be heroes as if they weren't already. Thankfully she did seem to win on her center point of communication and that benching their members wasn't ideal.

"Do you think you inspire her when you move her out of the way? When you try and teleport her off the scene? Do you think holding off calling someone in builds trust. Maybe the civilians don't see it but that doesn't mean it's unseen. Progress was made to reach out and help heroes be where they're needed, that they could be called upon and could call on others. I'm open to exercising caution on what's said and when help is requested but I don't think shutting people out or cutting them off of transportation is beneficial."

She gave her words some time to settle before continuing. "Nearly every instance of heroes out there has at least someone on this team. But there's also other teams, other heros, with drastically different range in age gender power and everything else. And usually what's achieved is because of all of them not in spite of them. And if we can't trust or inspire are own how can we hope to do that for the masses?"

"I'd rather practice caution on comms and improve on being a hero, then continue discussing punishing a young woman who earned her spot here or stopping the ability to have reinforcements. I'd rather try and be ready for when Teja is ready to deal with that sword or Nicholas comes early looking to force everyone's hands in dealing with it."

Azra
Bronze

Post by Azra » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:08 pm

Things had finally quieted down for a moment. Fights had concluded and for a second one could perhaps breath. Well most could, hers had a soft reverb with every inhale, a side effect of both lungs now gone. She had been rather proud for a second back then, she was faced with a opponent she couldn't likely even dent. Who's gear had managed to get around any tech use. So she tried to coordinate a sort of pseudo intangible attack with the Aegis, a sort of teleport into someone to bypass defenses. It gave her the hit that would be a winning factor not long after. It also gave the idea of doing the same to her though and now she was down one more organic bit.

Maybe she shouldn't have been up yet. The armor that was her artificial skin and ribcage didn't mean she had any fewer stitches beneath that. For all the wires on the teen it was string holding a lot of the stuff inside together. She didn't want to just lay around though.

So instead Mana was down on one of the damaged floors from that fight. Shields helped contain it but half of that floor was molten, and maybe a third or so of the floor above and below where it had been. There was repairs to do, but more importantly spots to clean. Her tail carried the tool kit, it was heavier so she figured better the fifth limb. In her hands were bags of cleaning supplies. Because her first issue of business wasn't going to be fixing a circuit bored no she stopped at a stain on a wall.

There were a few like it. At this point just black and copper in color. Others had wanted to take lives though and they deserved something better then being a stain on a wall. So being careful not to overly strain her chest Mana began to scrub away, once content was set down her hands washed and occassionally her tail would use its talons to chip away whatever might not budge. The stations shield meant there was an atmosphere now, looking to the right meant gazing out into space.

"I'll make sure there's some marker here. Don't think they want a graveyard but you can't just be forgotten."
Her thoughts at the moment currently trying to think of what device or item might work for that. And occasionally dwelling on what to do with the shard she now had.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:50 pm

Michael Carter's last great work was half in ruins.

The fact that he'd constructed the Nadir some time later wasn't a counterpoint, in Teja's opinion. That wasn't a great work - it was an emphatic mistake. The Empyrean, though... oh, they'd had their differences about it, to be fair - she'd argued for something closer to home, like the Beacon center she'd eventually worked out - but no one could deny that the Empyrean had been monumental. In Michael's hands, it had been the inspiration he'd meant for it to be - and now it was... this. Melting, or molten.

And it didn't matter in the slightest. Teja was here for one reason, and one reason only.

"Mana." Mana, who was currently trying to clean up, and trying to clean up something that... someone her age shouldn't have had to be cleaning up at all. Mana, who shouldn't be here at all right now.

"You should be resting," Teja told her, gently, in an all-too-familiar burst of do as I say, not as I do. Tokyo hadn't been any better. And yet, they'd both patched themselves up or gotten patched up to a minimally reasonable degree, and here they were. She sighed - not very emphatically, given that her shoulder was mostly held together by medical tape and willpower right now, and walked over to Mana's collected supplies to grab a rag and sit down to start working on the floor.

"That was a bad one. Do you need to talk?"
Capacitor
Supercharged
Astra
A Manufactured Deity
Prism
Totally Brilliant
Diva
Dazzling Dilettante

Azra
Bronze

Post by Azra » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:27 pm

"So should you."
Of course Mana totally expected this was a does as said not as one does thing but still. Neither should likely be to active at the given moment but here they were. The cyborg was also not feeling like leaving this, the station needed repairing and this was kind of what she lived for. She'd been working on cars and computers when most were drawing, just cause LA kind of had a way of bringing that out of people from time to time.

Still she could at least go a bit easier, looser grip make space for company and so on.
"It's weird. I feel like he was clearly to far gone for us to help I don't feel bad for how it had ended. Just like that he ended up there in the first place."
She had seen into his mind, Reaper's hold was far to manipulative. She had fought him and seen just how altered he was on the internal end. She wasn't sure if she was a killer or if this was well something well divergent but she knew what she wanted to do after the fact.

"Anyway, I don't, I don't want them to be this. Regardless who they were then they had been people. Graves don't pick sides nor should they."
A pause had been there briefly trying to form the words she wanted. At least try and get her point across. First would be respecting those gone, second would be repairs, and third would be trying to figure out what to do with that sliver of a universe on her person.

"What about you? You okay Teja?"
Not Ms Teja here. While not opposed to continuing it now didn't seem the time for it. The subject matter was just to heavy for such a thing.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:02 am

"Sometimes it's like that," Teja said quietly. "People... change. And sometimes they change so much that they aren't the people they used to be. Sometimes they change so much they aren't even... people, really." She shook her head a little. "When I was with the army... sometimes I'd get sent out, when things went too far. It wasn't ever something I enjoyed, but... it needed to be done. I try to think that the people that they once were would have appreciated it. Being stopped."

Would she have appreciated it? If someone had stopped her...

Hector might still be alive. For some definition of alive, anyway. Or he might have destroyed the universe by now. There was really no way of knowing, was there? And... she had enough on her mind, without the past weighing on it as well. "I'm fine," she answered the question that had been asked - though she was aware that wasn't much of an answer. "My shoulder's messed up pretty bad, but it's taken care of and there's nothing else I can do for that except let it heal."

She worked in silence for a moment, contemplating. She hadn't missed the use of her first name there - it was a first for Manaria, a step towards relating to each other as adults rather than as this protege relationship they seemed to have right now. Teja knew it would be coming eventually, and truthfully she wanted nothing more than for Manaria to have a chance to become the adult she deserved to be - but there was still a loss there. Of innocence, of easier times. Of times when they wouldn't be having this... adult conversation.

She hadn't really had much chance to think about how fast kids grew up, before. It was going to be hard to let go. She didn't need to - not quite yet - but the day would come, eventually. She would make sure of it.

"I ended up with another opportunity at a mystical weapon. Apparently that's going to be a recurrent thing, now." Her tone was deliberately light, but there was a lot of old hurt lingering there below the surface. Her voice quieted, more serious as she expounded. "Reaper's scythe. I turned it down. Some things just aren't meant for mankind... Or for heroes."
Capacitor
Supercharged
Astra
A Manufactured Deity
Prism
Totally Brilliant
Diva
Dazzling Dilettante

LunaHawk
Bronze

Post by LunaHawk » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:42 pm

Singularity appeared in the doorway, wearing her usual Binary uniform and looking entirely healthy and not at all like someone who had "died" not very long ago by having virtually all their internal organs fail at the same time. She was a little pale, the only sign anything had happened to her. "There's a lot of things out there that are better off left where they are I think." she said, chiming in on Teja's last comment, the only thing she'd heard so far.

She touched some of the damage to the station's frame, running finger tips of metal that was twisted, and even glassed, by the energy released when Chymera was destroyed. Whatever she thought of it, she didn't share, and instead sat down to help clean up as well. Once she was close enough there would be other signs of her body's repair work, like the slight tremors in her hands or the fact she'd occasionally just, stop breathing, then start again. They were little things she herself didn't notice. A lifetime of such side effects had rendered her mostly blind to them.

She wasn't concerned about herself anyway, sparing both the other women long glances while they worked and frowning. It wasn't her fault she'd not been here to help, but it bothered her anyway. Unlike her, they couldn't shrug off mortal wounds, and she was all too aware of Mana's ever decreasing biological side.

"I'm just glad you're both still here," she said after a little silence. She wasn't very good at these things and didn't always know the right thing to say. What else could she say? I'm sorry someone ruined your shoulder. I'm sure you miss your lung? Truth was she didn't understand that kind of injury, her injuries were different, the kind that she knew they too also suffered. So she did her best not to complain and just to be there for them and not think about the alternative.