Duskbürg [Millennium Sub-District]

Roleplay locations.
Lord of Nothing

Re: Duskbürg [Millennium Sub-District]

Post by Lord of Nothing » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:01 am

As she leaped off to the side, Vas put his hands into his pockets and....chuckled for a moment.

"Jumpy one, aren't you?" He taunted. Before his face slipped back into what it was. And he approached her.

Vas stared at the girl with all the same analytical intent of a poker player. His face betraying little of what he thought all the while his gold-colored eyes tunneled into her own expression. Trained man and vampirific beast both working well in unison to decipher any bit of vulnerability and weakness to exploit in the girl. Not all humans were mindless sheep. Some were actually pretty useful in being able to operate all throughout the day without concerns. Particularly the ones good at taking on other human. Superhumans especially. Even if the girl smelled like something related to this. Maybe that's why they're after her.

If anything -- Vas was no stranger to offering "protection" to people. And often times the best kind of protection to offer was one when there was an imminent threat. Be it in other gangs or what have you. Kore was rather poor but potentially very useful.

"You want to learn from me." He said.

"Alright. Well? What can ya do? Give me a demonstration. Sight. Smell. Sound. Touch. Hearing. Show me all..."

And with that Vas makes a demonstration -- as the color from the alleyway fades. Perception distorted within it. The alleyway lengthens into an eternal hallway. The corpse itself seemingly stretched off into the distance. The sounds from the streets and the rats faded. And everything became dark. Black. Featureless. It became difficult tell a trashcan from a wall until they were all in an abyss. With only those near him able to see how Vas could twist perception. After all -- darkness and light were on two sides of the same coin. Some of the many ways that Vas could make those who fought him within his city a nightmare. A funhouse. He bled for this city -- marking his territory as the vampires of old did their own havens. And was rewarded for it.

"...That you have."

Focus however waned. More complex and grand illusions required him. Before with a click not unlike that of a lightswitch the alleyway returns to normal. Scant lights shining. The rats disbanding, not even leaving bone behind as they scatter into the sewers. The memory of whoever the man was obliterated as he is reduced to naught but rat shit. Another one of Duskburg's lost souls. Vas was in no mood for panic. Startled sheep were harder to herd.

Within his lips, Vas licks his fangs -- craving blood to replace that which was lost. More blood than he actually needed to stave off hunger or to even function. Enough blood to be at his most powerful at all times. Always seeking to be difficult to confront. In the face of danger. Of action.

You never know who's watching. Appearance and perception molded minds.
Sandbox

Lethe, The Once Reaper
Voracious, The Vampire Vagabond
Vas, The Shadow Man
Amaranth, The Ultimate Life-Form
Jackal, The Devil's Dog

Concepts

Varcolac, The Cursed Cartel
Nosferatu, The Damned Descendants of the Darkblood

List of all characters across every sub-forum: Here!

Evolve

Post by Evolve » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:59 pm

Ashley listened with a slight tilt of the head, reminiscent of a small dog hearing something that interested it greatly. She was actually grateful for Lily's extended pauses - it gave her time to consider what had already been said, and by whom. Even if they were only a second or two long, she still had better understanding for them.

Metas with a bad reputation, grouping together. Heroes not caring about who's caught in the crossfire. The giving of superpowers. Assassination, and conviction that they're not the bad guys. Is that all of them, or just new recruits? Or outside recruits in general? A Clan suggests a central family, who might keep what's going on from everyone else.

It wasn't something that Gray would never want to be involved with - he didn't do big groups, especially not where he didn't think he'd really had a say - but the idea piqued Ashley's curiosity. There was a lot of potential to grow in a group like that - especially with a "boost" to her abilities, like Lily described. She wouldn't do a thing without her brother, obviously, but if he could be convinced...

"What about people who, like, don't want metahuman abilities?" The question was unrelated to her thoughts, but it might remind Lily that Ash didn't look like much. "Metas who drew the short straw on powers, or humans who don't want either that kind of power or responsibility. Does leaving them alone go against the equality thing? Or is equality in the choice?"

She then smiled, once again the innocent. "I'd just...like to know as much as I can, before making a decision."

Ryoko

Post by Ryoko » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:24 am

"Pretty much everything but touch. You can't put your hands on something that isn't real," didn't keep her from trying a few times, though, "Let me... try something real quick."

As opposed to the darkness that Vas filled the area with, Kore tried to paint a picture.

The sky, and the alleyway in which they both stood, lit up as though the eternal stormclouds that blotted out the sun vanished and blanketed Duskburg in light. And yet, despite the horror unfolding before Vas' eyes... he did not burn. Honestly, he didn't even warm up. There were birds in the sky and a plane passing overhead. For a moment, it all probably looked real.

Until he took a closer look at the individual elements painting the picture.

A pidgeon came down from out of the sky and landed near Vas. And it was... disturbing. It's feathers were textured like cotton, it's anatomy was just different enough from that of an actual bird to elicit an instictual disgust and sense of unease. And the wind that slowly blew through the alleyway had no effect on it's body whatsoever. And, if he took a whiff of the bird, he'd notice that, while it did, indeed have a scent, it damn sure didn't match that of an the real deal.

The only thing Kore did have spot on was the sound of the pidgeon's coo.

Kore wasn't sure how good his eyes were, but if Vas did have superhuman sight and took a good look at the plane off in the "distance" above him, he'd notice a distinct lack of detail that the average citizen might not've noticed. Unfortunately, it wasn't the average citizen that Kore was going to have to end up dealing with.

After giving him a moment to take all that in, she let the illusion fade and let the eternal night that plagued the city wash over it once more.

"The hard part is... all the fine details. It's not magic, so it doesn't fill in all the blanks for me. Making random noises, stink and smokescreens are easy. Everything else is a fucking nightmare. I have gotten pretty good at one thing, though," to her side, she produced the spitting image of herself. Her actual self, down to every pour and stitch in her jacket. Even the scent matched her own. And, from here on out, she let the illusion speak on her behalf, "Pretty good, right? Well, it took me about... I want to say thirty hours of 'self-study' just to get this right. At least as far as I can tell."

She let the illusion fade and spoke for herself once again.

"As of now, that's pretty much all I've got. But yeah..." An uncomfortably long pause as her eyes drifted away from his and she... pushed the rest of the words out, "Yes. I would not mind being shown how to better use this."
Active Sandbox Characters: Ryoko/ Kore/ Mina

For all other characters, click here

HighVoltage
Bronze

Post by HighVoltage » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:53 pm

Lily watched with interest as Ashley mulled over what she had said. She had to admit, she never thought she'd be giving a sales pitch of the Lotus clan, yet here she was, telling some random girl she found on a rooftop their ideology. She was a bit shocked when Ashley asked the next question, but her face didn't show it. One thing she was good at was hiding emotion when she wanted to. "Hm, never thought about that before. I can understand why some people wouldn't want them. Too much responsibility or expectation, all that jazz." She paused to mull it over in her head. She supposed it could be possible. From what she'd heard about Asuka's powers, anything was possible.

"I'd say the equality is in the choice, as you put it." She began. "A lot of metas see themselves as superior to those without power, that's just how it is. By giving the choice of power, we level the playing field, so to speak." Again, her gaze shifted to the distance, her eyes focused on the horizon. "If people don't want the powers, that's fine. Hell, we can even remove powers if that's what they want. The important matter is the choice."

She paused to give Ashley enough time to digest the information. The fact that powers could be removed was probably a shock, but it was one that Asuka could theoretically do. Lily decided to shift the conversation. She wanted to know more about this young meta. "I'm curious, what powers do you have. Doesn't seem like anything obvious, like mine." To emphasize her point, Lily summoned a small staff, twirled it around, then threw it off the roof where it phased out before hitting the ground.

Evolve

Post by Evolve » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:15 pm

Ash nodded along while Lily explained the circumstances of equality, which turned out to be about what she expected. About, because full power removal was definitely not something she would've guessed. Still, it didn't take Ash too long to process that information. Obviously if they could give them, it'd be reasonable to assume they could remove them, too. Interesting.

As Lily asked about Ashley's powers, she smothered a beaming grin to ask, "What makes you think I have powers? Just curious, since most people wouldn't guess at first."

Her guess was that it was the Millennium thing, but she did want to know if there was more to it than just that. She'd then laugh, and gestured to the ground, where the staff had fallen.

"Since you keep showing off, yours first. Are they mental constructs, or do you rearrange physical matter to make them?"

After listening for the answer, she slid back, getting up off the ledge, and stood with almost zero defensive concern, a challenge glittering in her eyes.

"Hit me with one of them."

HighVoltage
Bronze

Post by HighVoltage » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:07 pm

As Ashley dodged the question, Lily gave her a look. She'd seen enough dodgers to know when someone was hiding something. "You're trying to tell me that a girl sitting on a rooftop talking about creating a group for potential supervillains at Millennium University, where she presumably goes, doesn't have any powers?" She chuckled as she kicked her feet in the air. "I've found that it's better to assume that someone has powers when you first meet them. If you assume they don't, you can be in for a nasty shock."

Lily remembered one point in her life where she'd been chasing after someone who had robbed a gas station. She assumed the guy had a gun, because what kind of idiot would rob a gas station if he had the power to rob something larger? Turns out he had the ability to control flames, and Lily had to deal with burned off eyebrows for a while.

When Ashley asked about her powers, Lily paused. "Uh...." she trailed off. She really had no idea. "I assume they're like some psychic thing? I dunno, they just appear when I need them. And I can make them vanish at will." Lily was taken aback slightly at Ashley's sudden eagerness for Lily to attack her. She didn't want to hurt the girl. Pushing herself up off the ledge, Lily summoned her bo staff, giving it a few experimental twirls. "You sure about this?" The defiance in Ashley's eyes was interesting. Either this girl had some nasty trick up her sleeve, or she was just insane. Regardless, that made this all the more interesting.

Lily lunged forward with little warning, intending to hit with three strikes. Her staff was held in a two-handed grip as she sent one end for a jab in the stomach. She'd then swing the staff around going for a strike on Ashley's left side before going after her right side with the other end of the staff. She wasn't trying to debilitate the girl, and was definitely pulling her punches so they wouldn't cause her any more than a bit of bruising.

Evolve

Post by Evolve » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:51 pm

The girl seemed way more willing to attack than Ashley had anticipated, but it wasn't like she hadn't literally just asked for it. And, hey, if Lily hadn't been certain a second ago about her powers, Ash was definitely sure now. If she'd been wrong, she'd just be bruised, and the worse for the wear, and probably badly embarrassed. Lucky for her, she'd been right.

The change happened the moment that the bo staff made contact with Ash's stomach. Her ponytail, clearly dark when the conversation had started, turned a pale pink, her eyes an even paler shade of the same, giving the illusion of blindness only emphasized by the sudden blank stare into a distance that was uncertainly far away. She blinked, almost distractedly, as dozens of Lilys suddenly popped up into her peripheral vision, some clearer than others. The two clearest were coming in from either side - one right after the other, although given her limited time frame, she didn't have a chance to identify which was coming first.

Without looking directly, she ducked - dropping, and staying down long enough for both strikes to swing, before disengaging to a position a few paces away.

"Hey, so in good news, your ability is definitely psychic." Her voice hadn't at all changed, though she seemed to be on edge, far more than before, and the object of those words seemed to be unclear. She got her thousand-yard stare as close to the present Lily as she could, though, and smiled at a question that she couldn't tell hadn't been asked yet, then answered, "Right! So... my brother and I are what I've taken to calling 'genetic chameleons.' We adapt to dangerous situations with temporary metahuman abilities, altering our genetic code to make us temporarily metahumans with a similar skillset. I think, anyway. I've never actually tested those specifics, but I've had my whole life to think about it. I respond to psychic abilities by taking on..."

She gestured around her eye area, the not-quite-focused stare intensifying as she measured the possibilities surrounding the present.

"Er...explaining this part is is hard. I'm pretty sure it's a form of clairvoyance, or ESP or something. I can see a cloud of potential futures immediately around me, about like a minute ahead, give or take. The most likely ones are the clearest, the almost impossible ones almost invisible, and it's useful but also really friggin distracting without the right amount of discipline. You can come at me again, if you want to see me demonstrate some more, if you want."

HighVoltage
Bronze

Post by HighVoltage » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:12 am

As Lily swung her first strike towards Ashley, she was a little disturbed that the girl didn't seem to put up any defense. She pulled back slightly, giving her no more than a bit of a tap, as if she was simply sparring with the girl or giving her a demonstration.

She sure as shit didn't expect the pink hair on contact and the girl's eyes going a milky white.

As Lily followed up with her second strike, she knew something was wrong. The girl still made no move to react. As the swing came in for her arm, she suddenly ducked, the staff whooshing over her head before Lily followed up with the final strike, more out of instinct than out of necessity. As Ashley stepped back, so too did Lily. She put her hand on one hip, putting her weight on her staff with her mouth half-open in surprise. Sure she may have pulled her punches a little bit, but she didn't telegraph them that much. Either this girl was an experienced fighter or something was off. And given the lack of muscle definition or stance, Lily was inclined to believe it was the latter.

As Ashley began speaking, Lily noticed something was definitely off, besides the hair and eyes. She sounded nervous, her voice seeming oddly distant and nervous, as if she was unsure of what it was that she was saying even as the words came out of her mouth. What the hell kinda power is this? Lily soon got her answer when Ashley seemingly read her mind, answering the question before it had even been formed on her lips. She tapped her staff on the ground and gave Ashley a puzzled look, but listened to her explanation.

"So basically your power is having your powers shift to fit the situation? That's pretty cool. And because my weapons are psychic, your body responded to letting you see the future?" After waiting for a response, and getting an invitation to try some more, Lily nodded, eager to see what she could do against an opponent who could predict her moves. After all, she might fight someone like that in the future. Moving in again, Lily brought the staff down towards Ashley's right shoulder, then swung it horizontally at that same side. Then, a blue arm manifested itself out of her abdomen, launching itself at Ashley in an attempt to catch her off guard.

Evolve

Post by Evolve » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:45 pm

"Yep! You got it."

Even as the words came out, Ash had prepared to brace her right side against attack, turning out of the way as the future clarified into the present. It had taken a lot of practice to get this part right, and considering she only had an hour between exposure and turning back, and the relative rarity of exposure to psychic energies, she'd taken every chance she could to beat the patterns into her head while she had time. At this point, Gray's first instinct, when he saw she'd changed to her psychic form, was to brace for sparring - if they had time, of course. They usually did.

Still, considering that she'd only sparred with one person, it was great exercise to attempt to predict what Lily might do next. The possibilities seemed much wider with her, though that might be because Ash had expectations of Gray, and had no idea what to expect from Lily, especially given that the girl had been pulling her punches the first time around.

Her brace became a clockwise turn, a twist out of the way, since psychic abilities didn't add much to her durability factor. Physical enhancement was, they'd come to realize, Gray's territory. No, her best bet was raw evasion, which was greatly helped by the fact that she saw the most likely incoming attacks -

- a list to which the arm was only added in the last two seconds, forcing her to block, not dodge. She was lucky she was shorter, and used to fighting someone taller than herself, because first, it meant an abdomen strike hit a little high, and second, she could better position her arms so they didn't freaking snap from the force. She grunted, slightly, to acknowledge the pain, then fell back a few steps, readying her defenses against the most likely - and second most likely, just in case - blows that future-Lily had to offer, retreating toward the center of the building as she went, getting more space away from the edge, just to be safe. Seeing the future wasn't much help when falling three stories to your inevitable demise as pink splatter on the pavement below.

HighVoltage
Bronze

Post by HighVoltage » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:08 pm

Lily had to admit it, she was impressed. It was clear that the girl lacked much experience with direct combat, especially against someone with as much training as her. Yet her future sight allowed her to react to Lily's movements almost as soon as she'd thought of them. As Ashley twisted, dodged, and danced around Lily's blows, none so much as glancing out of her, she willed herself to lash out, concentrating on striking her without moving her body. Her powers responded, the arm emerging from her abdomen to strike before instantly fading away. Lily thought for sure that the strike would connect, that her future vision wouldn't be able to predict it. And for the most part, she was right. But Ashley still managed to drag her arms up, blocking the strike to the chest. Lily was worried that she'd hurt the poor girl, but as Ashley repositioned herself away from the edge of the building, it was clear she was ready to go again.

Grinning a little sadistically, Lily put her knee up against the bo staff, pulling on the edges and snapping it in half. The motions weren't completely necessary, but damn did they make her feel like a badass. Twirling the two halves in the hands. She paced a bit, circling Ashley, thinking about her next move. Probably not the greatest idea. "I gotta say, this is wild. How much experience do you have in hand-to-hand? You're doing pretty well, I think." With the compliment given, hopefully softening what would come next, Lily launched into her next series of attacks, the escrima sticks allowing her to go at a much more rapid pace.

Lily twirled around, going for one strike in the leg before spinning back around with another to the opposite shoulder. She tossed both sticks in the air, keeping her eyes on them as two more psychic arms lashed out from her, one going for a strike to the thigh of the unattacked leg, the other going for the opposite shoulder that she hadn't touched. She grabbed her sticks as they fell and brought them both down in an attack on Ashley's shoulders, dancing backwards as her latest barrage was completely, breath calm and even.