Friends in cages [PM or Discord ask to join]

Roleplay locations.
Amicus

Re: Friends in cages [PM or Discord ask to join]

Post by Amicus » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:11 pm

Joey shook his head as the intelligence, or lack thereof, of hedgehogs was repeated by harry. Yeah, not the greatest. They weren't the dumbest he'd talked to, but they were a good deal off from the kind he often hung around. Though again, hanging around him long enough, most animals did become intelligent enough to hold a conversation.

Joey smiled apologetically as Harry said to not taste him. Well he had mentioned that he had no intention of doing so. So hopefully he actually believed him. He would confirm though that he was very much human. Uninteresting though? Joey shook his head, "No, uninteresting isn't the right word. I think finding unusual things and talking to them is kind of an interesting job. Though...guess my parents would say you were interesting to but...for completely different reasons then me."

Yeah, mom loves to kill, loves to cause pain. Dad loves the taste. Humans may not be the top, but they're common and good enough. That, and he didn't restrict himself to them. They were just commonality. A crows caw was heard some ways away, which might not have mattered among all the other hubbub, if it wasn't as incredibly a familiar noise to Joey, he turned his head and smiled, "Henry!"

He watched as three crows came closer, one of them swooped down with martin in his claws, wrapped around them until he got closer landing on Joey's outstretched hand, "Another friend!" said the one who'd cawed as Martin slipped out of his claws and wrapped around Joey and somewhat into his coat looking at him and the other man.

"What's up? Hope I didn't bother you." He said patting them on the heads as the landed on his shoulders, and one on his head glancing around eagerly, much of that time between Joey and Harry. One of them gave a quick flap trying to hop onto Harry, if he tried to swat away or move out of the way it'd just fly back to Joey, this was Laury, "Wanted to see the new friend." she said to which the others agreed, it was more annunciated then was normal even for crows who already were able to sound almost human.

"Were you concerned about something Joey?" Martin, the snake, asked the boy. Unlike the Crows however, his voice did not come out with distinguishable words. Merely noises from his mouth and throat that were a good bit more quiet as he slithered around near his head and glanced at Harry while his own head swayed side to side in balance. "Uh yeah, first we should introduce though."

"This is Martin, and these are the three musketeers, Laury, Henry, and Cavill. Guys, this is Harry, he's like...an agent version of a secretary for...someone, or something. Sorry I don't know how to explain your job well." he said, gesturing to the snake, the bird that had tried to land on Harry, the one that carried Martin, and the last one who had mostly just muttered agreement so far.

They all gave quite a cheerful hello or greeting of some kind before descending into chattering amongst themselves.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:49 pm

Asset: Harry Thompson, N-Class-C
Purpose: Investigation of a potentially anomalous individual

The crows returned. It was a relief, because otherwise Harry might have had to ask Joey more about his parents, and he already knew that subject was a minefield. Much better, right now, to focus on the things that Joey seemed more upbeat about, which was definitely his animal companions.

They had a snake with them, presumably Martin. Harry was surprised by how humanlike the crows could sound - he’d heard that birds could mimic voices, of course, but they were... they were pretty good. He wondered if they had the faintest idea what they were saying.

Of course they know what they’re saying.

Right. Right. Anomalous exhibits A, B, and C - or L, H, and C, he supposed. The second surprise was that one of the birds wanted to land on him, and that he’d actually held out his arm as if this were perfectly normal, which it seemed until... until he had the sudden weight of a crow on his arm, talking about him being a new friend.

Oh. Oh, wow. He didn’t try to move his other hand to stroke the bird, because you didn’t pet your friends, no matter what that 90s album said. Harry had a feeling it would be kind of rude, at least without permission. ”Uh. Hi.” Laury. This one was Laury. ”Laury.” Quieter. He wondered if the birds named themselves, or if Joey picked the names for them. He also wondered if he was supposed to offer them something shiny, but that also seemed somehow kind of demeaning.

After the initial greeting, though, they seemed more interested in talking amongst themselves, which saved Harry from trying to be the forefront of Foundation-Corvid relations. Joey’s description of Harry’s job was really pretty great, and... somehow, surprisingly accurate, all things considered. ”You know, I think you pretty much nailed the job description, you just made it sound a lot cooler than it actually is.”

He wasn’t sure if he was supposed to be trying to talk to the others, or just to Joey, but presumably if they had something to say... well, they sure didn’t seem shy, did they? Time to let Joey direct the conversation a little bit. You could learn an awful lot being quiet, couldn’t you?

Amicus

Post by Amicus » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:40 am

He greeted them, even let Laury land on him. Though maybe more out of shock then intention. Regardless the bird was quite happy there. Though she might move to his shoulder occasionally if his arm became a bit too wobbly. They were somewhat large crows after all. He also seemed to agree well with Joeys description of his job. Still was a bit lacking but hey, if he liked it, great!

Next though, was the more serious questions, "You got any puzzles? Laury asked getting her eyes incredibly close to his face, "Puzzles puzzles!" Cavill said excitedly hopping in circles as Henry laughed. Martin bopped him on the tail and made a hissing sound to everyone else's ears, they understood him though, they'd been around him and Joey long enough, "Don't be rude I think there's something important." he looked at Joey, "Is there any danger?"

Joey breathed in and out trying to answer the snake, "I'm not sure...I have a question. Can you make a venom that can force someone to tell the truth? I know you figured out how to change it, so is it possible to do that? See, he's part of this...organization. And they know who I am and sort of what I am. But he says there's no force. But he does want me to possibly join. And it'd kind of make sense I just...I'm scared of the possibility. I mean...you know why." he responded pursing his lips and waiting for the snake to answer.

Martin looked between him and Harry again. The Crows stayed quiet this time. Watching, waiting. Of them all, Martin was probably more mature then any of them. He was a lot like Nathan really. Calm and reflective as he gained human intelligence. Still just as important a friend to Joey. And yet, he almost became some sort of guardian, or at least Nathan had, Martin had the same idea but he didn't have the raw power of Joey's former dog.

"I can, assuming he has no powers. If he did, I'd have to make it different, either because it could not work, or could hurt him." He responded.

Joey looked up at Harry, "This is the request, I want Martin to...well bite you. He can make it so that you have to tell the truth, like a truth serum you know. But...if he does we need to know for sure that you don't have any biological powers or something. Because well, it could not work or could hurt you. That's what he said anyway."

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:02 am

Oh.

So that was the plan. Harry stilled, the security aspect coming to the forefront, shaking his head. His demeanor was quietly regretful, but nonetheless firm. ”Sorry, Joey. I can’t permit that. As much as I would like to put your mind at ease, there are too many things that I know that might put others in danger. I can’t risk a breach like that.”

In all probability, Joey would assume he meant an informational breach, and that was equally accurate, but it wasn’t the sort of breach Harry was worried about. The wrong words in the wrong place could cause a lot of problems, and Harry... Harry, unfortunately, knew exactly the wrong words.

They didn’t need another Capital-B Breach, for sure. There had been quite enough of those lately. ”I understand if that’s a dealbreaker for you. If that’s the case, we can still grab lunch and then just part ways after that, or part ways now if you’d prefer. I won’t hold it against you, but I can’t put others at risk just to make you feel more comfortable.”

Amicus

Post by Amicus » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:39 am

He began to shake his head and Joey became concerned again. It wasn't like he actually expected he'd do it. But...if only he had then maybe he could be sure. Maybe he could know that he could trust him. Joey might be almost an adult legally. But...he didn't feel like one. Joey was like a baby dragon let loose. Powerful and dangerous, and yet, he was so often afraid, and just wanted friends and love.

He heard the answer and looked down, No. We keep going. Get out of here, and just as there's no one around, we have Martin bite him. Quick and fast so no one sees it. Light paralysis. Take him out of here and make sure he's telling the truth. If he's not, we drag every piece of information out of him until he has nothing left to give. the voice of Venator in his head was strong. Harry was now a threat. And Venator's purpose was survival and instinct. And his instincts were telling him what he should do. He gripped his hands tight looking down not wanting to betray Venator's words but not wanting to obey.

Laury let out a cuss at the man before fluttering back to Joey, landing in his hoodie and nestling inside of it. The others just looked at him curiously. Waiting. Martin was the one to speak, "Joey, there can be many reasons he could lie to you. Maybe he wants to catch you, or kill you, but doesn't have the powers to. So he needs to get you somewhere. Or maybe he's just leaving stuff out. Maybe he wants to help really, maybe he really is telling the truth. If you want, me and Cavill maybe can go first. They surely wouldn't try to kill us if they expect to do anything to you. And then we can analyze the situation better."

Joey looked at the snake, calming his instincts somewhat. He thought about it for a little. He was afraid to send Martin in, so...he had to make one extra addition to that. He looked up at Harry, "Martin wants to go first. With Henry. To see for himself. But...if any of you hurt him." his voice turned cold, protective, pained. He'd lost Nathan, he'd lost so many friends. To his father. "No bug or beast I find will find peace with you."

The crows laughed aloud at the response, things like "Gonna getcha" "No safety no safety." and "We'll tell everyone." before they subsided with another hiss from Martin trying to keep them quiet.

Joey waited. A terrified child who just wanted to good, but who somehow got filled with so much bad.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:03 pm

Well, if there had been a right answer, that hadn't been it. Harry had known that going in, of course, but it had still been the answer he'd had to make. Joey was an interesting kid... but the Foundation came first. He couldn't help but notice the way Joey tensed up - arguing with the voices in his head, maybe? Whatever it was, he managed to master it, as evidenced by the fact that he didn't turn into a homicidal lunatic, but Harry wasn't impressed with his odds if Joey were provoked further.

The birds seemed equally unhappy with the answer, Laury returning to Joey's side instead, which Harry supposed meant they weren't friends any more - or however that worked, with birds. The message was pretty clear, though. Kind of a bummer. The crows were neat - but he wasn't going to push his luck, especially around people who might eat him.

Joey was having a conversation in Parseltongue, presumably, which eventually resolved with a couple of Joey's friends wanting to scout the area. Harry wasn't sure... but then again, he'd been willing to bring Joey there, hadn't he? The animals were... really not that different, he supposed - and the Containment Project had the advantage of being public, which meant that any idiot off the street could just walk in.

This time, apparently the idiot was going to be Harry, but... well, he'd cross that bridge when he belonged on it, wouldn't he? "Sure. That can work. If you want them to scout a little and report back, I don't see any harm in that." The sudden onslaught of threats was much less inspiring - Harry thought he probably should have been worried, but with everything coming out of the woodwork lately, there were times when he thought he'd be lucky to survive until next Tuesday. A few pissed off animals would be an annoyance, but he'd dealt with much scarier things than that.

Some of them had even existed.

Amicus

Post by Amicus » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:43 am

Joey still looked at him hesitantly. He didn't want to send them to scout at all. But Martin thought it was a good idea. And he'd rather trust Martin then himself. Venator might be able to see a great many things, but Martin was fairly intelligent too. And he could still speak to the crows even if most other animals didn't understand him. So as long as one of them was with him, he should be fine.

"It'll be ok." Martin told him clenching a little tighter before releasing again, "Sometimes we have to do things that seem dangerous. I'll bring Henry and Cavill with me, and Laury can stay with you. Then if I need to talk to you I can send one of them. Is that fine? We'll need to know when."

Joey swallowed nodding, and looked up from his friend, "He'll go with Henry and Cavill. And he wants to know when." he said. Joey just wanted someone to listen to, his parents weren't the people he was going to choose. But he had someone most of the time, Nathan for a long time. But eventually, like now, it was Martin. Venator in a way was his voice when it came to combat. But he tried not to listen to him too much. He had much darker intentions then the rest of them.

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:09 am

"When?" Harry inquired. Probably a bit of a stupid response, but he'd been caught up in other matters, like Foundational security and not getting eaten. "Uh. Whenever you like, I guess? When's good for you?" The response was low-key, but Harry felt that was somehow right, too. Pressuring for sooner would have made Joey nervous, and putting it off would have made him suspicious. It was important for Joey to feel like he had some control over the situation, some control over what was happening with him. If Harry could give him a little bit of that by letting him pick the times, then that would be a step in the right direction.

He didn't think it was going to be too long. Joey seemed like the curious type.

Amicus

Post by Amicus » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:27 am

After the examination
Martin spoke with Joey privately, explaining to him what the place was like. That it was not so much a facility as an office. And that if they did have time to set traps, whatever traps they set they probably could have set just about anywhere. So it didn't seem to him like there'd be much point in having it focused on their office. It was just not built for that. After some more discussion on the matter Joey ultimately decided that he was willing to give it a shot, he didn't know what it would be like, but he was going to try.

"I guess it's time to...see." He said, still just a bit nervous about the possible consequences of what it could bring.