The Castle in the Distance.

Roleplay locations.
Weidmann

The Castle in the Distance.

Post by Weidmann » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:22 am

The Castle in the Distance
Always on the horizon.

The only constant is time, and change that it brings with it. The world progresses, and the old age is left behind. Yet the past never truly dies, not even when it's it's beaten back and buried, forced and hunted into extinction. Even then, sorcery persists, and the creatures that thrived in the world of old never completely faded. The few forces spared the cruel and unstoppable fate of advancement retreated into whatever bastions were left standing. They stay out of sight, hidden from the rest of the world, erasing whatever presence they once had. The world may not remember, but they will never forget. They hid in the few ancient lands or hallowed grounds holding onto what last vestiges of mysticism remained. Shops, libraries, lavender forests and the castle that doesn't exist. A castle that slips in and out of reality on a whim. Pulled around every corner of the globe, unchained from the law that govern the universe. A relict from a time that should have died, a stronghold in the midst of being revived.

What was once thought to exist purely within the abstract and primordial realm of the Allwhere, The Castle in the Distance seems to be drawing closer and closer to the corporal world. The thin veil that kept it hidden is slowly being pushed aside, and the legend is beginning to spread. The Castle in the Distance. Across a vast ocean, within a dense forest, wedged between massive mountains. The stories range, but the castle stays the same. Always on the horizon, disappearing the moment one averts their gaze. Never once has it been reached, only observed. But things have changed. The castle is getting closer. It exists for longer. There are no lights or movement behind its windows, however those brave and foolish enough to venture close bring back news of something behind its loaming gate and stone walls. A sound that echos out of its chambers. The slow clashing of blades, blows striking blows, steel against steel. An endless anthem of war.

And it's getting louder.
Bio
An end to a lineage.

Azra

Re: The Castle in the Distance.

Post by Azra » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:16 pm

"Why am I here again?" Elektra remarked over the phone as a car dropped her off on the outskirts of a forest. She was told to take a ride here and been on the phone with coworkers off and on sense arranging for things while away. Now was just the most important question to her.

From the other end came the answer she expected to be fair. "Because you're a cop and should maybe do some detective work instead of just shooting arrows at things." Personally Quiver disagreed, she rather liked the work that put her in the line of duty. She was better in the firefights as opposed to investigation. Was the job though so here she was.

She chose to come in her usual uniform, really hoping this was a rather short visit. She did however pack some additional spray to set her arrows aflame if need be. While also carrying a small canister to put flames out if needed. Was easier for her to carry around gear then come to terms with the idea of camping gear. Throw things over her shoulder shut the trunk and then she was off towards the forest.

She could kind of see a structure on the horizon just a blur behind the trees. Current reports and rumor was that a castle was teleporting around or something. A effort to look back and double check what one saw and the building was gone. So she tried to remind herself to stay the course only moving to keep a distant sight more in view. It sounded tied to arcane works and creatures some apart of Quiver doing her best to keep her guard up just in case. Didn't need to put an arrow in every critter in a forest, she'd rather not get jumped by a monster though. "Hello?" She called out to the suroundings voice traveling a good distance through the trees. She didn't think she'd get much of a reply but figured it didn't hurt, wasn't trespassing to just hike through a forest, hopefully.

Weidmann

Post by Weidmann » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:10 am

As the woman moved through the forest there was no immediate response to her call. Just the sound of leaves rustling and woodland creatures. However, there was something that occurred as she grew closer to the castle. A small dot slowing growing larger as it moved from the stone palace and towards her. Until it finally drew close enough that it could be properly identified for what it was. An insect.

A brown speckled butterfly, floating erratically through the woods. Disappearing for several seconds before reappearing meters away. However, it seemed to definitely be making its way towards the woman. Slowly, and in as indirect a manner as possible, however within a minute the small anomalous insect was hovering in front of the archer. It still seemed to flicker in and out of reality somewhat, but it remained somewhat in place. Yet even with its inconsistent existence, there was an every stranger trait of the insect. It appeared to be... speaking. Or rather projecting a voice with extremely rough quality. However, even despite it cutting out every so often, there was clearly someone trying to speak.

"He- ca- ou hear me?" Echoing out from the butterfly was the distinct sound of a young boys voice. He sounded rather chipper, however, it was clear that he was out of breath and perhaps even somewhat panicked as the sound of fast footsteps could be heard. "Thi- great, I thou- stuck here forever. Hey d- -ou- ink you could help- UH OH!"

There was a loud crash that rung out from the small floating insect with an unnatural amount of force. The sound echoed through the forest and caused a few nearby trees to shutter as birds rocketed towards the sky. Then there was silence. A long hollow silence before the boy's voice came through the butterfly again. Somehow at an even higher pitch than when he'd first spoke. "HOLY SHOOT THAT WAS CLOSE! Ummm ok, so I don't mean to bug you or anything like that, but if you wouldn't mind, I might need a bit of help. I think I messed up... bad."
Bio
An end to a lineage.

Azra

Post by Azra » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:25 pm

Woods always had animals and insects so it took Quiver a moment to really recognize anything all that out of the ordinary. Didn't matter how good ones eyes were there wasn't much unnatural to spot in the natural. Thankfully though it also made anything that wasn't normal stand out all the more. Like a butterfly that seemed to come in and out of existence. It's movements seemed slow and sporadic the officer fairly sure a insect wasn't going to be drunk kind of felt like it may be connected to somewhere else. Maybe the moments not on this plane of existence it was in some mirror world being chased or something. Was an odd theory and probably wrong Elektra did find it important to keep open minded however.

"Yeah" Simple answer for a simple question though from a not so simple source. She was far more used to phone calls than through butterflies. Was clearly not the butterfly speaking though, sound of footsteps in a hurry that weren't here. Voice was from what sounded like a teen and not a butterfly. Though maybe butterflies had such a voice she hadn't exactly talked to many of them. Job came first though over curiosity, he felt stuck and what kind of officer would she be if she didn't try to help?

Then came a thunderous noise didn't sound close but it came from the butterfly as if cannons had gone off right next to the boy on the other end of the insect based communication. IRPD of course had different officers who would react differently, there was some who'd assume the kid was the trouble. Elektra however simply smiled and knocked an arrow just in case. "Not sure if mystic castles are in my jurisdiction I'd be a pretty shit cop if I said no though. Where should I go?" Instinct told the statuesque archer to rush forward but she knew better.

Weidmann

Post by Weidmann » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:37 am

"Jurisdiction..." The voice trailed off for a second, seemingly consumed by wonder before it quickly came back. "Wow, so you're like super official and everything. That's perfect!" There was a grunt and a splash of liquid before moments later the boy continued, picking up where he'd left off and trying to give the archer some sort of directions.

"Ok... umm, so you see the big castle right? The one that looks really out of place but for some reason your eyes just wanna glide over? Because I'm pretty sure I'm in there right now. Like... I went inside and everything, but this doesn't really look like a castle to me. Not that I've seen a lot of castle or anything, but I've read a lot of books and this doesn't look right... Oh... I think I lost him." Rambling for a couple of seconds something interrupted the voice, or rather the lack of anything interrupted him, causing the background footsteps to slowly come to a stop and for him to return back to the main topic without skipping a beat.

"Anyway, as I said, I went into the big gate right in the front. I think I unlocked it so you should just be able to give it a shove... but it sort of closed behind me. So I think I might be stuck inside. I also lost the door and it's almost pitch black in here so it's super hard to see anything. Which is pretty bad, but definitely not the worst part. The worst part is... is definitely still chasing me." There was a brief sigh before the footsteps picked back up again, even louder than before as the voice broke into a full sprint.

"I SAID SORRY! SO PLEASE STOP TRYING TO KILL ME!" The boy cried out, his voice echoing slightly before a low rumble like roar shook through the butterfly.

"Sorry, I don't mean you, I mean him. The worst part. The thing that sort of looks like a really grumpy rock... with legs... and arms... and on fire... and really really grumpy."
Bio
An end to a lineage.

Azra

Post by Azra » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:54 pm

"IRPD to be exact" Quiver responded brief and exact while trying to leave room for the voice by butterfly to go on more. Granted she doubted magic castles cared about international laws and agencies but she still thought it better then just heroics rushing in. Her feet kept her in a sprint towards the castle though she did her best to make sure she wouldn't move to fast not wanting to outrun the insect. Sure the archer could often chase a car for a time given her super strength but communication with the kid she thought a priority here.

The kid was being chased by what sounded like a golem of some kind, description and sound matched but who could be certain. She kind of wished it didn't sound so familiar though. Was starting to feel like she'd be leaving here with a oversized body bag and some distant relative calling and saying her distant causin just died. A concern for another time. "Stay on the line, is there anything else you can tell me? Reason you came, anything about the castle that might work as a marker to help find you?" Keep him talking and try and extract more information being a focus as she looked to close the distance.

Once nearing the castle and passing over the bridge the archer would look to pick up her pace. Still didn't want to outrun the insect but she did want to put as much speed and weight behind her motion. Door open or not Elektra didn't want to get locked in. So her natural course of action was to seek to shoulder check the door with enough force to knock a tank around. Hopefully at least placing the door off its hinges if not simply falling off entirely.

Weidmann

Post by Weidmann » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:55 pm

"You got it, I'll stay on the butterfly."

"Reason I came..." The voice paused, apparently trying to figure out the answer for himself, "Uhhh... It looked cool? I mean it's also kinda my oblee- obleg- job to check out any source of magic, after all I am a professional monster hunter and anti-magus." He didn't really add that one very often, mostly because he didn't often have the chance. Now was different though, if anything his knowledge on magic and it's disruption should have proven invaluable in exploring the enchanted castle. At least he thought it would, apparently just knowing counter magic wasn't enough to get around the fact that he didn't know how to read a map, nor was it enough to stop him from getting completely lost.

"I'm not sure how much landmarks are really going to help to be honest through. I had a little bit of time to explore before I started getting chased, and as far as I can tell nothing makes sense in here. The hallways are endless, the doors lead to different places every time you go through them, and I'm pretty sure one of the room just forgot gravity was a thing. Once those big doors closed, everything started shifting around, which is even more confusing then it sounds. It might be easier for you to see when you get inside though-" As the boy spoke he was suddenly silenced as the woman struck the door with a running charge, sending both force and sound rippling through the air. Echoing through the forest and the empty stone halls of the castle.

Her sprint proved more then enough to force open the massive wooden doors, slamming into them with enough speed to smash down the left most gate and sending the right swinging open. However when the dust finally settled she would find there to be no sign of the boy anywhere near the entrance hall. In fact there was very little sign of anything. The room that the archer had entered seemed to be almost entirely void of light. Even the streams of light coming in from the opened doorway seemed to unnaturally bend away from the shadows. There was no noise, and nothing to see, just an oppressive sense of nothingness, slowly growing and surrounding the woman. Swirling around her, encompassing her, and attempting to pull her deeper down it's halls.

"Ummmm... was that big boom you? Because if not I've got some really good news. I'm not being chased anymore. But if that was you..."
Bio
An end to a lineage.

Azra

Post by Azra » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:20 am

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (72.78 KiB) Viewed 94 times
"And they told me this idea was stupid." Quiver remarked applying pressure to one of her arrows until it began to glow. An additional Glowstick feature having been applied to the weapon to keep a source of light. Wasn't going to cure the I fathomable void but at least it was something. "Well then are you able to backtrack your steps give me anything to follow?" There was a slight shift in tone, a bet more respectful and professional trying to give a courtesy towards the profession. As opposed to the more just talking to a kid approach.

"Obliagation by the way. Might have been me, did just shoulder check the door down." On the bright side it did sound like she helped pull some aggro from the kid, didn't matter how new or experienced he was Elektra really would prefer a kid not be the target of some monster over her more durable self. Granted she wasn't sure how well she'd be able to handle the monster didn't have much to go off of for the moment.

For now though she chose to go whichever direction seemed darker, having just a bit more don't go here vibes. It was like a universal law that the spot you didn't want to go was where to get results. "Was there any pattern to the doors at all? Markings that might give a heads up or some way of providing direction? I don't exactly read arcane." She wasn't sure there was an arrow for that either.