"And Try to Be Nice" [Closed]

Roleplay locations.
Solomon

Re: "And Try to Be Nice" [Closed]

Post by Solomon » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:21 am

He couldn't control himself? Or his anomaly at least. What did that mean? He had the number, wasn't he the anomaly? So why did it not let him do things? It seemed strange. "I don't understand. Why do they call you an anomaly if you don't control it?" This was the first time he'd directly interacted with another anomaly, he'd assumed the cases would be similar to his. It appeared that was wrong.

The boy also apologized. He wasn't sure why, but he was bad at that. People seemed to apologize for almost anything. He got the basic gist of it, but it was still somewhat difficult to wrap his head around. The boy had told him why something wouldn't work. He hadn't realized you needed to apologize for that. However, Ellison still nodded his head. "Apology accepted." Even if he couldn't fix the boy he would still be polite.

After a couple of seconds of silence, Liam began speaking. He was talking fast again. Was he back to being excited? That was strange, from past experiences he would have thought the boy would become upset. However, he seemed to have the opposite reaction. That was confusing. He didn't know something like that could happen. He didn't like it when it was that unpredictable, better if he could just make sure it went right.

Ellison slowly nodded his head, testing out the word that had been used to describe his anomaly. "Yes... yes, I agree it is very... cool." He let the word hang in the air for a couple of seconds, odd, "It is quite useful. I've been able to do it forever. Most people just never noticed it, which was fine. It makes people simpler to understand. It's a lot easier to have a positive interaction with them after that. I've never seen it work like this before. This wasn't normal, normally it's fine."

Containment

Post by Containment » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:32 pm

Liam blinked at the question, and Ann went silent. Ellison couldn't be serious, could he? The idea that an anomaly is anyone who could control an ability? He heard him out through the rest, but a dawning realization was closing in. Nobody had ever taken the time to explain things to Ellison, the way SV-5 had explained things to Tristan, the way Tristan and the interns had explained to Liam.

"The... the thing about anomalies interacting is that it's... it's hard to tell what the results would be," he replied, more thoughtfully than before, looking back up at Ellison. He was curious, now, and a little concerned. Why wouldn't they explain something as important as what anomalies were to him? He kept his tone calm, however. "Anomalies aren't normal at all, so it's hard to have a 'normal' interaction between them. Especially people who- who can't control them. It's unpredictable, it's why..." Why they do experiments like this. Why they run tests. The real reason why they wanted me to come in here and talk to you. "Why they don't have people like us interact very often, I guess. Not without thinking about it for a while first."

He paused, thinking about the rest of the question, trying to read between the lines the way Tristan taught him. "Anomalies are different from each other, too, so it's really hard to tell what 'normal' would be like for them. Yours seems to be like... like having a talent. Mine's more like having a cold. I mean, I'm... technically an anomaly, because I have the condition Nine-Zero-Eight. I guess I'd be Nine-Zero-Eight if I was the only person with the anomaly, but since my cousin has it, the condition itself is the anomaly. My cousin's better at keeping it controlled, I just... haven't figured it out yet. We think differently, I think that's why we're given the 'A' and the 'B' at the end of our numbers, because even though we're part of the same anomaly it functions differently in both of us. So I guess... I guess we're anomalies because we have it, and we can't get rid of it, so we're stuck with having to figure it out. It's way more complicated than that, but that's the gist."

He stopped, realizing he was giving a lot of information in a small amount of time, but feeling better about having explained it out loud. Ellison's anomaly was a gift, he felt. The ability to control that weird part of you was something Liam would have traded almost anything in the world for. Tristan proved that they could control theirs, but Liam hadn't reached that point yet, and there were times even Trist seemed to have trouble. He'd found ways, though, and he reassured Liam that he just hadn't found his outlet yet. Whatever that was supposed to mean.
"The Foundation doesn't have the freedom to be good or bad. We're here to do our job, and if we have to make or break a few rules to do that job then so be it." [Current SV-1, "Leviathan"]

Solomon

Post by Solomon » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:34 am

That hadn't quite been what he was asking, but that was fine. He'd gotten the answer he was looking for one way or another. It had sounded like something else was controlling him, but that was wrong. Liam wasn't controlling it, but that didn't mean something was. It was a part of himself he could not influence. He wondered if the boy's cousin would have a similar reaction to his anomaly. He was unsure how he felt about the whole situation, but it made things substantially more difficult.

Nevertheless, his mind switched tracks back towards something he had noticed before but had pinned for later.

"When your mask was down, your face was damaged. What was it?" He asked pointing towards the side of his own mouth, the same area he'd seen the scarring. "Is that your anomaly as well. Or is it just you?" I didn't look natural or like something the boy had been born with. No. It was still raw, almost... recent. He hadn't caught more than a glimpse of it, but that didn't matter he could recall it with crystal clarity. His memory was excellent.

"Remove your mask. It interests me. I'm going to draw it." As he spoke Ellison rose to his feet, slowly walking across the room and towards an aisle set up in the corner. Grabbing a pencil as he walked over he removed the old canvas and replaced it with a fresh one. He would have liked to sketch the boy's face in his sketchbook, but that wasn't possible, this would have to do. Looking over towards Liam he opened his mouth as if to say something else before he paused, freezing momentarily. Before a twitch ran through his body, his hand gripping tightly on his pencil for a fraction of a second before the tension released. He'd forgotten, how could he have forgotten? Everything was wrong. This wasn't right. He was offbeat, the interaction wasn't going smoothly. He'd forgotten. Be polite. A good host. Be polite. "Please." The single word came out in his flat tone, not as a request but a demand.

Containment

Post by Containment » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:47 am

Instead of expressing understanding or confusion, Ellison changed the subject. Not only that, he changed it to something Liam really didn't like talking about. Without thinking, he copied Ellison's movement of touching the side of his face, exactly where the hole in his cheek was. He hesitated for a moment, turning in his chair to watch the other boy walk across the room to the desk and offer to draw the deformity. On the one hand, it was refreshing not to face disgust or anger or even concern for the feature. On the other, he wasn't sure he wanted the scarring to be drawn for any reason. The "please" didn't really faze him either way. The command wouldn't have convinced him to do what he didn't want to, but he did appreciate the boy's effort and attempt at normal socialization. It was obvious he was having trouble, with his ability not working. The effort, or maybe just his own appreciation for it, helped with Liam's decision.

He pulled down the mask with one hand, less violently than before, letting it hang loosely around his neck. His face was as lifeless as ever, but he couldn't bring himself to look Ellison in the eye. His teeth were visible through the hole in his cheek as he set his jaw and averted his eyes, expecting to get stared at. Expecting something in passing, a comment on the strangeness, something besides vague interest. His explanation was half-mumbled, but audible.

"That's just me." There was a surprising amount of resignation in his voice, a gravity that wouldn't allow stuttering. "Another... issue. My nerves don't work. They never have. It used to be a big issue when I was little, I'd hurt myself all the time and never notice. Trist... he's helped me out with this, too, but I've still got some habits. Like chewing my fingertips when I'm nervous, or lips and cheeks when I'm thinking."

A habit, a bad habit. The real reason for the mask. There were things he didn't say, things he didn't want to say, at least not to Ellison. He'd told them to Tristan. And he'd told them to someone else, once. A girl he'd met by chance in Minnesota during an early snow. He'd promised her he'd kick the habit - and he had, for a while. But she was gone, now. Where she'd gone wasn't something he'd try to understand. Something complicated. If he could smirk, maybe he would have, despite the situation. He was complicated, way more complicated than most people could handle. Ellison was strange, but he seemed understanding enough, at least for now.
"The Foundation doesn't have the freedom to be good or bad. We're here to do our job, and if we have to make or break a few rules to do that job then so be it." [Current SV-1, "Leviathan"]