Roleplay locations.
Orph
Sandbox Councillor

Re: The City (Location).

Post by Orph » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:54 am

Weltgeist wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:38 am
--
The City's external sensors alerted Alton to the World-Forge's arrival at almost precisely the same time the device the Cultivator had given to his hulking acquaintance reported it had been activated.
"Ah, delightful. It seems it's finally time to get the backstory on mister living-in-a-cabin-in-the-woods-with-an-axe." With that, he pressed a button on the control console in his office, and 'ported himself directly across from Weltgeist, appearing without a massive flash of light. Good to know the improvements to the translocator are working smoothly.

"You came! I must say, I am curious as to how you overrode the translocator. It was intended to shrink you down to the relative size of the City, but instead the failsafes deposited you here. Makes me glad I put those in, otherwise the City might have ended up inside your stomach, or something." He laughed. "But I digress. What prompted you to change your mind? Not that I'm not glad- I think the City will fascinate you, but I was under the impression you were... content, in your cabin."
A myth where ultimate evil turns its gaze on humanity and humanity gazes right back and says "Gotcha."

Magnetar

Post by Magnetar » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:24 pm

The World-Soul looked at the youth with weary eyes, hesitant to include others in his personal business. He desired no companions, and most modern types of "help" would only hinder him. That he knew.

"I'm looking for someone like me. He's strayed from his path. That's all."

He let his eyes rest on the tiny city.

"I thought perhaps he might be here. City of Tomorrow?"

Orph
Sandbox Councillor

Post by Orph » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:08 am

Like him, hm? I suppose that lends credence to the theory that he's not-quite-human. Along with the fact that the teleporter wasn't able to shrink him as well.

"Well, I haven't admitted anyone with a huge axe recently, but if they're of... meta-human means, I won't dismiss the possibility that they got in, somehow." Alton was fairly certain that no one could have gotten in without his noticing, but even if it was patently impossible, the World-Forge might well benefit from seeing the City, at actual size.

"If the usual method of getting you down there won't work... do you think you could allow the technology to miniaturize you, or is it innate in your physiology?"
A myth where ultimate evil turns its gaze on humanity and humanity gazes right back and says "Gotcha."

Magnetar

Post by Magnetar » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:08 am

"Hnnn."

It was certainly worth searching through it, he thought. The Eldest known as Zeitgeist certainly seemed the quirky type, and this place was as quirky as any he could imagine. He sighed, though, for he was tentative to associate with someone who reminded him so much of himself.

"Very well. Get on with it." It was implicit in his words that it would work this time. He felt it would, now that he expected it. Simply another layer of the below part of the above-and-below. He wouldn't be stuck that way forever...nothing could do that. This he knew.

He waited.

Orph
Sandbox Councillor

Post by Orph » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:09 am

Alton stretched an arm over to the World-Forge, resting it gently on his shoulder, and activated his suit's translocator. There was a half-second of nothing, and then they were in the City. Specifically, they were in the Sprawl, the major urban center of the miniaturized metropolis. Soaring skyscrapers of steel and glass were all around them, and flying vehicles a cross between space-ship and automobile soared overhead. They'd simply appeared on the street, where a few pedestrians were standing nearby. Some wore suits like Alton's, but with the colors inverted, black on white. Some simply wore modern clothes, though few were without some indication they were living in an advanced society. Holographic screens surrounding them, or cybernetic limbs, or hair that changed color with every movement.

"It's certainly something, no?" Alton smiles, and the people on the street smiled back. He'd met each of them personally, and researched most of them in the process of deciding whether to invite them to the City. Some were clones, technically, though not of Alton- merely beings that had been grown from genetic material Alton had taken from a 'seed vault.' It had been an interesting experiment to raise someone in a society like the City from birth, but it had been counterproductive towards Alton's ultimate goal of raising all of Earth to that standard. "We won't have to look manually, of course. I just thought I'd give you a look at this place in real-size." The Cultivator brought up a holographic screen with a gesture, which rested in the air before them. It showed a topographical map of the City, along with a panel showing the faces of the City's residents, changing rapidly with each passing moment. "If this person has any distinguishing features, that would go a long way towards helping me find them."

Magnetar

Post by Magnetar » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:54 am

The Forge closed his eyes, and when they reopened, it was as though they were someplace else entirely.

"Yes. It is...something," he responded, but his tone was unenthusiastic at best. The smell was off, but not quite in the sense humans thought of it; the entire area was constructed to the utmost specification. Like walking into a room full of antiseptic, the World-Forge could immediately identify the craftsmanship that had been put in...as well as the effect it had produced. He elected not to voice his discomfort.

"He is not among these faces I see here. He may have changed his own. I don't yet know all that he is capable of," he admitted, squinting at the plastic-looking buildings and in-step citizens. No...a place such as this, now that he saw it with his own eyes, didn't seem like it would win Zeitgeist's favor.

"The being I seek seemed to enjoy fun. What do your people do for fun?"

Orph
Sandbox Councillor

Post by Orph » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:16 am

He doesn't seem to be very enthused about all the technology. I suppose that fits, considering I found him living in a cabin in the woods. I wonder if he can change his face too...

Then, Alton's face lit up. "This, I'm sure you'll like. You see, modern sports tends to have a lot of injuries- sometimes life-threatening ones, even. I started out trying to improve upon pre-existing concepts, and got a little carried away... but I'm exceedingly proud of the result."

With the press of a button, on another holographic screen, Alton transported them to his personal viewing booth, overlooking the perhaps unimaginatively-named Techball Stadium. As it happened, there was a match starting at that very moment. Six players were arranged on either side of a field, about the length of a football field. They all wore uniforms in the style of Alton's suit, but in red and blue respectively. Some had devices attacked to the suit, or carried different kinds of machinery with them. The stadium itself was not covered with grass, but rather a smooth, polished black surface. At the center, floating off of the ground, was a ball-unpatterned, and bright white.

"Basically, the rules are the same as football- not American football, of course. Two goals, one ball, the aim is to get the ball into the opponent's goal. What sets it apart is this: contestants are allowed to bring any kind of invention with them. Jet-packs, nuclear-powered roller-skates, antigravity field generators-- you name it. As a result, every match is unique, and just about anything can happen." He grinned.

"Looks like it's about to begin."

Azra

Post by Azra » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:17 am

Orph wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:32 pm
Azra kind of felt like ere might be some reluctance with her desire to join. It was looking to take advantage she imagined, an insult to opportunity. But what else was the ghost to do? Was an eighteen year old with a desire to rebel against all disorder someone really meant to lead people? Was a wraith with no money or home really going to give a home to every refugee like herself? While she didn't want to hand her issues off on someone else she also had to be realistic about her options here. A hovering car comes to the window as the panel opens and a light breeze kicks in. Should be more intimidating she kind of thinks to herself, but she isn't all that bothered to it. She could descend like a feather she needn't worry she had concluded.

The trip was silent Alezra not wanting to be a bother just tried to take in the sites. It was of course beautiful and peaceful filled with tranquility and a rather relaxed comfortable nature. It seemed perfect and in that perfection it felt unreal, and undeserved. Instant rehabilitation, the cure without a cost but that didn't seem real. Nobody here deserved to suffer or be stripped of what they had. Somewhere in the young adult a fugitive of the law however was someone who couldn't helped but conspire. To theorize that everything beautiful before her was built on something hidden but ghastly in composition.

Twenty people gathered all dressed in uniform and a nervous bite to her lip came to be. It made her think of her internment, locked up behind thick walls and crying to go home. Waiting to be told to step in line and be like everyone else. First they tell you what to wear, then it's wear to go, then it's how to be, and then it's everything else. The sin of individuality. A wave is returned she is pleased to meet them, but there is also a rising desire to be anywhere else. Here comes the speech.

Prove they're worthy? Everyone has a worth to them though she felt, some slipped from use, plaguing others and thus something to fight. Alezra did feel though most people didn't need to prove much of anything to others beyond a general will to live. There were laws of course and things like citizenship but what she encountered here seemed more extra and demanding.Worthy of the experiment to. Not of another chance not of calling this place home, this was a test for a project seeing if the ants deserved a spot in the ant farm. It's not for those who put themselves first, but most people did. Most even likely having come here to try and look out for themselves and what was there's. It was easy to do all you could for family, not so much for ones neighbors. She found herself pondering if she was with allies or martyrs. A uniform is handed her way and eyes look at it with disgust.

"I can't. I'd be willing to wear a patch over my heart or a collar that should it be impacted signifies I died if I have to. I can't just bail out cause I got hurt however. I'll shed as much blood as I need to for them. I've no desire to have left the prison uniform of extremists just to slip on another uniform though." She didn't head for the exit either though, she was more than willing to go into some survival game. There was just a willingness to bleed more and resistance to just stepping into line.

Magnetar

Post by Magnetar » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:34 am

"Yeah," the Forge acknowledged gruffly, blinking a few times after having been transported from where they stood. He noted that the technology was not strict teleportation, as the sheer destruction and instant recreation at a separate point actually failed on beings such as he.

The boy, Alton, seemed very excited to show him all that his city had to offer, but the World-Forge was largely non-responsive. He diverted more of his focus to scanning the surrounding crowd for Zeitgeist, but alas, he saw no sign of him. He allowed himself to sink into a seat in the viewing booth, taking in the aerial sport before them. Bright flashes accompanied every maneuver, and he soon found his attention drifting back to his host.

"This project. Very extensive, yes. I can tell you've put a lot of care into it," he said, scratching briefly at his beard with a metal finger.

"Why?"

Orph
Sandbox Councillor

Post by Orph » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:21 am

Weltgeist wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:34 am
--
The Cultivator sighed, and leaned back in his chair. Below them, the game began to unfold. The red team moved first- their team captain injected a serum into his arm, and began to grow in size. Within seconds, he was eleven feet tall, and possessed massive muscles. The rest of the team were using different kinds of devices, but none so ostentatious as that. One activated some kind of hover-board, and another stuck a metal pole into the ground by their goal.

On the other side of the field, the blue team's captain simply makes a run for the ball, with no obvious technology active. The behemoth on the red team is making for the center of the field as well, but he's significantly slower. When the blue team captain connects with the ball, it sails through the air, but disappears suddenly at the arc of its flight.

The Cultivator, usually fascinated by whatever strange devices are being used on the field, seemed to be barely paying attention. Finally, he answered.

"Nevertheless, I'll try to explain." He took a breath. "When I was young, the universe seemed to be a chaotic system. Bad things happened for no reason, and despite my intelligence, I couldn't seem to figure out why. As I got older, I realized that it wasn't chaos at all. People weren't behaving randomly, they were responding rationally to the incentives placed in front of them. So... I resolved to try to fix things."

Down on the field, the hulking red team captain is pounding on a forcefield erected around the other team's goal, while two members of each team fight for control of the ball- midair. One is on his hover-board, another has shimmering holographic wings.

"The City is an experiment, of sorts. My attempt to create the ideal society, as an example to the rest of the world. I can't simply impose my values on society, they would respond... poorly. But I can show them an alternative to their society- one where everyone is happy, and no one has to suffer because of the failures of the system. When I re-size the City, my hope is that people will try to follow my example. I'll happily provide the technology that I use here, and I've estimated a number of people will immigrate here, when they see how much better it is."

Alton steeples his fingers. "In short... I want to help people. That's the only reason I do any of this."