The S.U.N. [Semi-Open Location]

Roleplay locations.
Icarus

The S.U.N. [Semi-Open Location]

Post by Icarus » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:54 am

"Area 51...don't make me laugh. Area 51 is the gift shop. You want the real secrets, you'll find 'em here. Welcome to the Submersible Underwater Nest. Welcome to The S.U.N."

History
The S.U.N. is the home of Icarus, the U.S. governments shadow arm that specializes in dealing with threats too big for government heroes or getting their hands dirty where the government can't, and learning from the legend they're based on they decided to operate as far from the sun as possible. The S.U.N. itself was built as a joint project between American Naval Officer Ronald Evans and Icarus Head of Research and Development at the time Ling Chiang. The goal was to create a base that would remain hidden from the public eye while also granting them a decent range of mobility. The project itself took nearly thirty years starting in December of 1969 and reaching completion in the year 1999. In the year 1990, when the project was nearing completion, Ronald Evans died of a heart attack leaving Ling Chiang to finish the project. In the year 2000 Ling Chiang took her own life claiming that she had no more purpose considering she would never be able to top what she and Ronald had crafted. In honor of both of them a large plaque now hangs within the main entrance of the base emblazoned with both their faces and Icarus's motto "Non Desistas. Non Exieris"
American Naval Officer and Astronaut Ronald Evans
Icarus Hangar Alpha
Security And Design
The S.U.N. has a level of security that is nearly unrivaled through both its innate design and the technology at the disposal of an organization like Icarus. The base itself sits a few hundred miles off the coast of the uncontrolled portion of Antarctica. It's dimensions rival that of the Pentagon with the whole structure being 71' and covering 0.47194981811736003 square nautical miles (or 400 acres). The structure can surface and submerge in around 10 minutes each which is done through propulsion.

Icarus, being a semi-independent government organization, has its own fully functioning military that consists of trained soldiers, trained super humans, and a small number of robotic operatives. These include fully automated aerial and nautical drones ranging from small fighters to large personnel transportation crafts. Icarus is also in possession of a small amount of magi tech (tech that incorporates magic). This is mainly used in their two way distance bridging technology which they can use to evacuate important personnel in case of an uncontrollable emergency.
OOC
I suck at making location threads like this but, I felt like Icarus needed a location thread.
  • This thread is only open to those I give permission to or to members of Icarus.
  • Standard Rules Apply
  • No attacking without permission
  • No major destruction

Travis McCoy

Re: The S.U.N. [Semi-Open Location]

Post by Travis McCoy » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:24 am

Stellar stuff

NOMAD
🢖 BIO 🢔

Orph
Sandbox Councillor

Post by Orph » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:33 pm

Can I have an office?
A myth where ultimate evil turns its gaze on humanity and humanity gazes right back and says "Gotcha."

Orph
Sandbox Councillor

Post by Orph » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:46 pm

The Black Phantom made his way down the halls of the S.U.N., walking with purpose towards where he'd been told his office was. He wasn't wearing his armor- in fact, it was unlikely anyone who worked here full-time would see him in it. Besides, without proper lighting (which is to say no lighting at all) the armor of Abaddon tends to look a little silly.

What'd they say this place was called? Submersible Underwater Nest? First of all, 'submersible' and 'underwater' are redundant. Second, isn't a 'nest' by definition a place where birds roost? As in, above the water? Who comes up with this shit? Carter laughed quietly. Still, I bet Charles never worked in a place this... well, cool. Note to self: stop saying 'cool.' It sounds just about the furthest thing from Abaddon-like.

The office was towards the center of the 'Nest,' a location Carter had specifically recommended. After all, at the center of a circle is equidistant to all sides of the circle. He unlocked the door with his handprint, and pushed it open. It was empty- completely. No furniture or computers or anything. This wasn't a surprise- Carter had asked for them to leave it this way, so he could decorate himself. The office itself was fairly spacious, and the Second Shadow was already mapping out where he'd put everything. I definitely need a place to hide weapons. Maybe a compartment in my desk? I might need to reinforce the door, as well- having weapons on hand to shoot intruders is good, but keeping them from being able to get in is another.

Carter paused, smiling wickedly. Okay. There's a lot to do. He cracked his knuckles, for maximum effect, despite the fact no one was watching. Let's get to work.
A myth where ultimate evil turns its gaze on humanity and humanity gazes right back and says "Gotcha."

Travis McCoy

Post by Travis McCoy » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:06 am

"Area 51...don't make me laugh. Area 51 is the gift shop. You want the real secrets, you'll find 'em here.
Welcome to the Submersible Underwater Nest. Welcome to The S.U.N."

"Uh, I didn't say anything.", Travis looked over to the V-22 Osprey's pilot with a half-cocked brow. He himself was sitting at the window and watched the S.U.N. rise below. "Is that like a routine? Do you have to say that every time?", the USAISA agent added. However, the pilot didn't respond, probably because she was embarassed.

"...Oookay.", McCoy's focus turned back to the panorama.

S.U.N. Main Hangar;
1400 Hours.

Travis disembarked from of the aircraft as it's tiltrotor mechanism was still collapsing behind him. He seamlessly made a 360° turn without missing a beat in his gait. It was a huge compound by any measure. Probably larger than the Pentagon itself, if he had to guestimate from what he saw, the hangar itself was almost as big as DC's Airbase Andrews.

He was under the assumption that he was to provide cross-training in the C.A.R. method for military troops stationed here.. However, it quickly became clear that was probably a ruse. Shooting firearms in the confines of a gigantic sensory deprivation tank wasn't rational. Gunshots would've carried over the whole compound, the gunsmoke would fuck with the AC. Step by step, Travis realized that this - whatever it was - it felt off.

"Captain Travis McCoy. JSOC.", he said while walking up to an officer that was seemingly waiting for him near his transport. "I'm here to teach your guys how to shoot, I guess?"

Jesus, I wish I could have a smoke just about now.

NOMAD
🢖 BIO 🢔

Orph
Sandbox Councillor

Post by Orph » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:12 pm

Travis McCoy wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:06 am
--
John Black chuckled. "I know who you are, McCoy." In truth, he couldn't blame his fellow JSOC operator for not recognizing him. Almost everyone who'd worked with John would have only seen him in-uniform, either ready for combat or just in standard-issue fatigues. Here, he was just wearing a black t-shirt, emblazoned with the same white skull insignia that his mask was. He was also not carrying his usual combat rifle- in fact, save for his service pistol, Black was unarmed. He and McCoy both carried the same model, a P320.

"So, you're here to teach us how to shoot?"

Mat

Post by Mat » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:44 pm

Travis' face appeared puzzled during the one-sided moment of recognition. He looked curiously sized the man up with his eyes from behind his golden-tinted aviators that made his irises barely noticeable. Immediately, he had no name to match with the face. But the sidearm indicated a spec-ops background or atleast affiliation - SEALs were particularly fond of the P226. The skull also didn't particularly help as many operatives, especially in the Army liked the symbolism.

However, not many at this age still used it. Some considered it a 'phase' of a soldier's development. It wasn't until Travis combined this all with the sandpaper-like voice that a name popped up in his head. "Black?", he cocked his head to the side a bit. Some part of him still wasn't sure if this was the right colonel.

"Apparently.", McCoy replied and adusted the gigantic olive duffle bag he had over his shoulder. "I'm supposed to train the troops here in point shooting and run some drills."

"Jesus. What are you doing here?", last he heard of John Black was that he went A.W.O.L. somewhere in Syria.

Orph
Sandbox Councillor

Post by Orph » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:12 pm

The soldier looked confused for a moment, before understanding. "Right. That." He sighed. "It was a deniability thing. This whole operation is supposed to be deniable. It's why our people wear the masks- makes people think capes, not cops. So I had to 'go rogue,' in case someone gets a picture of me on-mission. Taking care of those fucks was the last thing I hd to take care of before transferring here."

With a chuckle, John gestured for McCoy to follow him, and began walking down one of the halls of the SUN. "I suppose all that talk about secrecy might have tipped you off to the fact that you're not just here to teach people to shoot. Though a little bit of military discipline might do some of these clowns good." As if to punctuate the statement, John shot a glance at someone walking down the hall in the other direction. He dressed more formally, and didn't even seem to notice the two professionals passing him by. "I suppose I'm partially to blame for you being here, though. Not that I selected you specifically, but there was a list, I saw your name on it, and I figured better you than some twerp from DEVGRU. So I put in a good word, and here we are."

Travis McCoy

Post by Travis McCoy » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:19 pm

"Makes sense.", Travis replied bluntly and started walking with Black. He was, of course, familiar with the concept of deniability himself. Being a member of a military company that officially does not exist yet it's operatives are always the first ones in and last ones out. There was a reason that The Activity was known as Task Force Orange and Delta Force as Task Force Green. In fact, it was partially why he developed the habit of wearing a face mask during deep deployment.
He took a breath and began slowing down. "Yeah, okay...", Travis added in that tone people use when they have reservations and then stopped. "...so there is a list?", he paused and looked around with a perturbed expression. "Let me get this straight: you're drafting soldiers like me, in an off-the-grid forward base that is leaps and bounds ahead of the curve. For what? To run black bags underneath everybody's noses?", his tone wasn't angry, Travis never was, there was just a genuine uneasiness to this place by the code of military conduct.

"Who even runs this operation? And under what flag? Is there even a flag? I'm sorry, sir. But the more I look the more this looks like some paramilitary Blackwater shit."
Last edited by Travis McCoy on Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NOMAD
🢖 BIO 🢔

Orph
Sandbox Councillor

Post by Orph » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:10 pm

The AFO officer's eyes narrowed. "Paramilitary fucks... no. That's not what we do here. Honestly, the two of us are exceptions to the rule. Almost every other asset on-site is a meta. Full cape-and-tights getups, flashy powers that make me long foo the days of the 75th Regiment." That being, of course, the branch of the Rangers they'd both come from, before JSOC. "Guy who brought me in wanted some actual soldiers here, as well as the 'heroes.'"

Already, the SUN was beginning to recede under the water. There wasn't much noise, being underwater, but the ground shook slightly, and there was a low rumble as the waves closed over the top of the massive facility.

"Everything's still aboveboard here, soldier. Well, as aboveboard as something this classified can be. Apparently, Nixon authorized this whole operation, way back when. It underwent something of a recession, a few years back, when the whole cape scene started to slow down, but now that people in costumes are taking chunks out of cities again, some people figured it might be time we started fighting fire with fire again."