The Cold Valley (Location)

Roleplay locations.
Weltgeist

Re: The Cold Valley (Location)

Post by Weltgeist » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:18 pm

The Forge opened the door a little further, furrowing his brow at the hyperactive traveler. As it turned out, giving him any room to enter was a mistake, and he glided right by the aging god right into the cabin. Too tired to be anything more than annoyed, he rolled his eyes and closed the door, cracking the metal knuckles on his left hand as he did when bothered by something. The green-clad guest was babbling about the interior in his flamboyant manner, strutting across the throw on the floor and making observations about...fashion?

Weltgeist stared blankly at his proud guest, who he regarded as somewhat effeminate. The modern state of man, he thought.

"You are where you mean to be, but you do not know why. Hmph," the colossus grumbled, turning towards the kitchen. Tricks. Begrudgingly, he poured the foreigner some of his cider-mix, something he knew would warm him enough to get him on his way. The Forge brought for himself a larger mug, for he sensed he'd need it.

After placing the cup he prepared for the visitor on the small sitting table, he sat in his large chair by the fire with his own grand mug in hand, and gestured for his guest to do the same.

"No riddles, imp. Speak plainly. How did you come by this place, and what is it you want?"

@zeitgeist

Zeitgeist

Post by Zeitgeist » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:10 pm

Zeitgeist gladly took the drink, touching it to his lips. Now that was de-light-ful. A little simple, but nothing beat proper home beverages in taste and quality, far outstripping those ratty little mimosas they had at the upscale clubs. All in a flash, images of tiny homes on open fields, people sitting around fires while strumming banjos, and tilling home gardens rolled by his head. Rustic, quaint, perfection, garnished with the je ne sais quoi of the rural scene.

He set the glass back down on the table and hopped into the chair, sitting cross-legged and leaning forward.

"You want to know why I'm here? You're the man of my dreams," Zeitgeist replied, batting his eyelashes. The doey-eyed facade cracked open with a snort and a smile. "But for reals, I've got no idea what I'm doing here. I was sort of hoping you'd tell me, grandpa."

He leaned back in his chair, dancing his fingertips on the armrests, smile turning quizzical.

"I know you're important. I know that much. There's a big, black, you-shaped hole in my head, and it's driving me crazy."

Another sip of the cider, followed by expectant silence.

Weltgeist wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:44 pm

Weltgeist

Post by Weltgeist » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:43 am

The young stranger's joke prompted no reaction from the seated god, whose penetrating stare remained as cold as it'd ever been. The visitor had the mind of a hummingbird, his expression changing every second, his digits bouncing about on his chair. His words were a mix of metaphor and slang, and his mannerisms bothered the World-Forge. How had he learned of this place, and what did he want?

Something in his words, though, caused a slight shift in the Forge's posture: the implication of fated meeting. Was this spindly little being playing coy, or had he truly been compelled to arrive in the Valley by some hitherto unrevealed force? Were there more ominous powers at play here? He'd traveled through the frigid vale for no reason other than instinct. He'd recognized the Geist, perhaps knew him for what he was...

Urgh.

"Boy...if you can indeed be referred to as such...tell me what you are. Now. My patience runs thin," he growled, leaning ever so slightly forward, eyes narrowed to contemptuous slits.

@zeitgeist

Zeitgeist

Post by Zeitgeist » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:16 am

How rude. He'd been offered a place in the giant's home as guest, and now xenia was being broken. Zeitgeist blinked. What was the word he'd just thought? It was an old thing, from an older place. Not the oldest, but old enough. Being here with this man of the past was dredging up uncomfortable memories, more flashes of times older than the present day.

"I like the name Liam, nowadays," he replied, "But you asked what, not who. Which is a flipping rude first impression, by the way."

He took another sip of the cider. Well, it was going to be a sip, but he quickly found himself draining the cup. Setting it empty back down on the table, he again leaned forward (fidgety, was he) with his elbows on his knees.

"I'm Zeitgeist."

Weltgeist wrote:

Weltgeist

Post by Weltgeist » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:06 am

Zeitgeist, he thought, his lips thinning. God-names spoken aloud always betrayed the truth of things. Even if he had not known this prattling deity so many millennia ago, he did recognize the nigh-imperceptible echo that came with speaking such a term. In this context, it was a word of power, an ancient language twisted into modern tongue. He was another Eldest, and he had followed the Forge in his exile.

It was in the nature of heroes to be hospitable to guests. They were to be courteous, abiding, and honorable towards those who passed through their homes. True heroes were never rude, for they understood that they had to be above the likes of the common man. Heroes and kings, yes. The Forge knew this well.

Regardless, he tersely rose from his seat, marched over to where Zeitgeist sat, and attempted to plant his metal hand on the front of his shirt in an effort to hoist him up into the air. Should he find purchase on his fellow Eldest's garb, he would proceed to carry him, regardless of resistance, to the door, which, as it happens, had been blown from its hinges by a sudden gust of wind. Were he able to drag his fellow god outside, he'd toss him into the snow with a bellow:

"I asked to be left alone, sprite. You're no exception, god or not. Leave this place!" he snarled, extending his hand towards the open door behind him. His old axe, Erujaorn, sprang into his palm, and its edge burned red-hot.

@zeitgeist

Zeitgeist

Post by Zeitgeist » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:36 am

Oh dear, now the big boy was annoyed. He'd stiffened at the sound of his introduction, face tense and body rigid, and- Zeitgeist was hoisted into the air with a strangled yelp, body dangling limply beneath the behemoth of a man's quite pretty arm. What was that, silver? Titanium? Or something south of malice. Up close and personal, the limb was more uncomfortable than pretty, almost feeling unsettling.

He found himself tossed out amidst the wind and snow, a mountain of dusty anger brandishing an ax above his head. And yet, even in that moment of danger, no fear touched his heart. Fear was a boring, useless thing. It distracted from the now. When tremors held you back from acting, your mind seized by the horrors of what could be, the present became little more than a backdrop. And that- well, that wouldn't do one bit.

"God?" Zeitgeist repeated back, with all the tone of an elated toddler. He propped himself up, hopping back onto his feet in one swift motion, and brushed dirt and snow from his jeans. He seemed totally oblivious to the imminent danger. Excited, even. He glanced at the ax, smile broadening, and gave a single loud clap of his hands.

"Oh, this is fantastic!" he shouted, leaning back and clapping again. "Is that what I am? A god? It all makes sense now!"

They're coming. You know they're only acting in their nature. You don't fear death, but you despise what they sow, antithesis to feeling itself. In death, there is feeling. From their touch, nothing grows.

Zeitgeist froze, smile slipping and eyes narrowing into a shadow. The thought was as fleeting as a flake on the wind, but left a bitter taste behind it, curdling his lips into a grimace.

"You ran for a reason, didn't you? I don't remember much, you see. You've got to forgive me."

A heartbeat of silence.

"Do you want a hug?"

Weltgeist wrote:

Weltgeist

Post by Weltgeist » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:14 am

The jubilant god the Forge had hefted to the ground had sprung back up to his feet instantly, but it wasn't to retaliate. Instead, it had been out of excitement. Zeitgeist seemed positively delighted to have finally provoked the Oaken Man to physical action, or - no, that wasn't it. It was this "revelation" which had just occurred. He had to have been putting on a show. How could any Eldest forget what they were? Nonsense, and he'd have none of it.

He changes again, the old god thought, glaring down at the Purveyor of the Present as fire burned at the tip of his weapon. So there were other sides to him, eh? That any Eldest might be made to forget something was concerning...if he were telling the truth. Was this a joke, at the Geist's expense? A storm brewed in his pupils, and the ground rumbled at their feet.

"You're more pest than god, stripling. You would do well not to forget this."

The miniature quake came to a halt, his grip on Erujaorn loosening as his gaze softened. His eyes shot bitterly over towards a tree at their left.

"And I didn't run. I do not run. I left when my work had finished. For the good of myself, and...those around me."

He scowled and turned away, silently cursing his own temper. In his impatience to rid himself of his unwanted follower, he'd only exposed himself as vulnerable. Stupid, he thought, to think that I could simply frighten away another of my kind.

He let his body language speak for him, silently declining the offer of a hug, of all things. The modern world had touched this godling, clearly. He wanted to spit, but instead, he casually lifted his door back up to where it'd once been attached to his building with his empty hand, pushing it against the wall. It locked back into place with a tap of his axe, as good as it'd ever been.

But.

Could he leave an Eldest alone out in the world, without knowledge of the past? What would that that do to one? Why had he taken a human name? He sighed.

"I'm not the hero you're looking for, boy. Go away."

Zeitgeist

Post by Zeitgeist » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:44 am

For all his worth, Zeitgeist seemed more downtrodden by the rejected hug than the display of violence. Didn't just seem. He was. Hugs didn't grow on trees, dammit, and even bears in human skin needed one sometimes. Bears in human skin? Or bears in godly skin? This man'd called him a god, and despite the prospect seeming utterly batshit crazy, he accepted it in a heartbeat. And further, the title seemed to comfortably apply to the crazy hermit himself.

A couple of gods just doing god things on top of god mountain. Priceless.

"You say you didn't run, but that sounds a lot like running." It was a stupid idea to poke bears, especially when they seemed like they'd decided against killing you. Zeitgeist, however, was bear poking world champion. "Running away from yourself. Catch my drift?"

What could this behemoth, a man who could so casually reattach the door of his flipping house one-handed, possibly be afraid of? He kept touting himself as some kind of monster, but monsters didn't offer guests cider and a bit of time in the warmth of their home. They ate people's faces. And since Zeitgeist still had his face-

He poked at his cheeks with one hand, and ran his fingers down his nose.

Where was this train of thought going again? Right.

"I'm not holding out for a hero. Honestly, I'm not sure why I'm here at all. But honestly, if you call yourself a god, don't you give a hoot about the world you abandoned? Unless you're a god of hermits or some shite, you're doing a crappy job of godding."

Ooh, yes. That was a good line. A very good line. It didn't cover why Zeitgeist wasn't doing anything godlike as of late, but he'd just recently learned- relearned? that he was a god at all, so he had a pretty good excuse to cover his ass.

Weltgeist wrote:

Weltgeist

Post by Weltgeist » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:26 am

The pup knew how to bite alright, but the Forge was not so easily manipulated. His temper had already been flared once by mere words, and it wouldn't happen again. He hadn't the energy. Besides, he'd made a vow to himself. Was he so weak as to give in to a mere sprout such as "Zeitgeist?"

He turned from the door, fixing his eyes on the impertinent godling.

"Begone from this place. Do not return."

He did not look back as he re-entered his cabin, closing and barring the door swiftly behind himself. After a second or so had passed, he lightly tapped the hilt of his axe against one of the walls. For a moment, the whole house shook, and then it was still; a small symbol glowed gently where he'd touched his tool to the wood. A simple protective ward, one that would also silence any noise outside the cabin.

Closing his eyes, he allowed himself to fall backwards into his chair, axe at his side. His thoughts turned toward the past, and he did not get up for a long while.

Though he did not rest.

@zeitgeist

Zeitgeist

Post by Zeitgeist » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:35 am

For several long minutes, Zeitgeist stood outside the cabin, staring blankly at the door. The snow shifted around him, but his body was silent. He focused. Focused on the sound of the wind, on the chirping of distant birds, on the way ice crunched underfoot as his balance slowly shifted. And most of all, he focused on the hole before him. But it wasn't a hole anymore, was it?

A slow smile crept onto his face, the triumphant grin of a young boy who'd just won his school spelling bee. In the deep, black hole he'd followed to this desolate place, a familiar face now lay.

"Welcome to the present, World-Forge, darling," he spoke to the air. "It's nice to finally meet you."

And with that, he turned and descended back the way he'd came.

[Zeitgeist exits.]

Weltgeist wrote: