Detroit, the Sprawling Expanse [Location]

Roleplay locations.
illirica

Re: Detroit, the Sprawling Expanse [Location]

Post by illirica » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:22 am

Diara clapped her hands, dropping the phone, which fortunately was in a shatterproof case. Apparently, this was a regular occurrence. She picked up the phone, dislodging the elephant, and had to retrieve him as well. A moment later, phone in pocket and elephant in hand, she ran quickly to catch up to Mr. Masky, who was heading down the street.

"Are you a superhero?" she asked him, since that had been her first impression. She looked at him curiously, still dressed in swaths of black, with guns everywhere (which he wouldn't let her borrow). "I'm going to be a superhero. As soon as I get my powers." This revelation seemed to be perfectly sensible to her, delivered with all the aplomb and gravitas of a young child announcing that someday they would be an astronaut or a teacher or a firetruck.

ImageIt didn't take very long to travel the three blocks, which resulted in their arrival at an almost empty street. The pavement was dark, and potholes lined the side, but in the center where there were no potholes, a series of geometric circles and lines had been drawn, with small chalk drawings tethered to various points on the circle by little chains drawn of chalk. The creatures, such as they were, moved about idly, testing the lengths of their chains. There was an... alertness to them, somehow - not in the sense of something that was precisely alive, but more in the sense of an automaton - built for a specific task, disposable, replaceable.

The woman at the circle center, on the other hand, seemed entirely alive. She had been crouched at first, finishing up a sketch, but when 2714 and Diara arrived at the street, she stood, though she remained in the circle center and waited for them to approach. Diara did so at a run, stopping short of the circle and navigating carefully between the lines. "I brought you someone! His name is Mr. Masky and I think you'll like him."

Myne Anisele - older than her sister by a good decade, but still remarkably similar in appearance, accepted this statement with calm, her gaze turning over 2714 piercingly, as if searching for something that couldn't be seen from the outside. "I see. Thank you. Please sit down."

"Do I have to sit in a circle?"

Myne did turn to her sister then, favoring her with a smile with a hint of tenderness. "No. Sit where you like."

Diara's "Yay!" was ignored, and she went to plunk herself down at the edge of a pothole, serving rocks to herself and the elephant in what was, perhaps, a tea party.

Myne's attention turned to the mysterious pet her little sister had brought home, and wondered if they were going to keep him. She turned a hint of a smile upon him, lacking the tenderness she had shown her sister. It was a far more guarded expression - she was evidently not so trusting as Diara was. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Mr...?" She let the address trail off at the end, not so convinced by her sister's introduction as to believe that the man's name was, in fact, "Mr. Masky."

She considered him with gravity, and added, for his benefit, "You may know me as Protogeometric."

It was an odd phrase, the way she delivered it - it was not a statement of fame, in the sense that he might have heard of her before. No, it was spoken more in the sense of a benediction, that he was being granted permission to know her as such, with the heavy indication that in offering him so much, she was doing him a favor.

The bit of chalk lingered between her fingers, idle, and she remained within the confines of her circle. She was not one to be drawn out of it so easily.

quirbles wrote:.

Quirbles

Post by Quirbles » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:53 am

SJD-2714

"Are you a superhero?"

The girl by his side had the uncanny ability of making his skin crawl with her incessant questioning. The subject matter was inncoent enough, as was her intentions, but there was an unintended and unseen consequence to her sentences that 2714 made sure to hide from her. Truthfully, he didn't understand the inquiry. Superheroes were a myth; designed by the powerless in order to give them some sort of authority, or to inspire a false sense of confidence in the easily gullible. Superheroes were a lie, constructed by society in order to make itself feel better. Meta-humans, on the other hand, were very real, and certainly weren't heroes in the mercenary's mind.

The flash of a comic book slapping onto a marble counter. CONTRAIL AND ARISTOTLE: CROSSOVER ISSUE!, written in bolded letters. She walks to the sink, turning a handle on the faucet. The dull patter of water.

"I was out shopping and figured you might like that."
Her voice was melodic, if not dream-like.

"No, I am not." 2714 stated flatly, staring down the road with a masked sense of distaste.

"I'm going to be a superhero. As soon as I get my powers."

"Mhm." The response retained its apathy, feigning interest like an adult might do with a child. SJD's hands drifted to the holstered firearms at his hips once the figure of a woman came into focus, playing with chalk like one might in a schoolyard.

Odd.

The girl rushed forward and the two females exchanged words, the older of the two flashing SJD a glare that bore a hint of what he thought to be malice. More idle conversation before the woman's attention turned back to the mercenary, a facade of welcoming shown in her half-smile.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Mr...?"

2714 remained silent and idle. No introductions. Not yet. The woman halted for a moment before continuing.

"You may know me as Protogeometric."

"Mhm."

Unlike the time he'd spoken with the younger girl, his near-grunt of confirmation bore no sense of interest. It was indescribably flat, professional and borderline robotic in nature. He didn't care for the woman's officious demeanor and it showed in his own, hands still present over the two firearms at his side as he waited for a moment.

"Why are you drawing with chalk in the middle of the street, Miss Protogeometric?" 2714's head tilted somewhat, signifying curiosity.

illirica wrote:.
The D is silent, hillbilly.

illirica

Post by illirica » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:20 pm

As far as introductions went, it was rather dubious - but as far as inquiries went, it was at least sensible. Myne spun the bit of chalk between her fingers, looking down at it rather than at 2714, her appearance perfectly calm. "Because Detroit is a cesspit," she answered the inquiry, "Currently, it is a cesspit teeming with the effluvia of an overwrought society: heroes, villains, reckless drivers, murderers. In such a place, one takes steps to protect oneself. Some wear masks. Some carry guns. I draw with chalk. Thus, I have a bastion from within which I can carry out a civilized conversation, with even the most... diffident individuals."

She tendered him another one of those chill smiles, an expression that froze a moment of civility, but did not warm beyond that. "I very much doubt you conceal your face out of obeisance to the weather, nor your name for the dissonance of its sound. My sister is remarkably good at finding the more intriguing characters that inhabit our demesne, an affinity which spills to other locales as well. It is not something I have been able to delineate in any rational fashion, and yet the probability... well, no matter. She brings me interesting people, from time to time.

"The question that needs must be answered, of course, is what is to be done with them."
She smiled again, and though it was without much warmth, it was at least with genuine interest, and perhaps a hint of respect. "Your presence intrigues me. I am most curious who you are, and why you are here."

quirbles wrote:.

Quirbles

Post by Quirbles » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:12 pm

"Because Detroit is a cesspit,"

2714's expression soured behind the NE-2. It was, yes, but that didn't mean the megacity had its redeeming qualities. MAVU, despite its shady practices, truly had Detroit's best interests in mind and the progress made had shown in recent crime rate polls. Partially rigged polls, yes, but a majority were truthful and untampered. Consequently, he was responsible for much of the recent changes around Detroit. When MAVU needed dirty work done, they sent him, and usually that meant the assassination of a high-profile target, burglary, a frame job, or all of them at once. Bottom line was, it wasn't Miss Protogeometric's place to give her critique of the city, no matter how verifiable the assumption might have been.

"Currently, it is a cesspit teeming with the effluvia of an overwrought society: heroes, villains, reckless drivers, murderers. In such a place, one takes steps to protect oneself. Some wear masks. Some carry guns. I draw with chalk. Thus, I have a bastion from within which I can carry out a civilized conversation, with even the most... diffident individuals."

Words. A verbose explanation was tossed his way, and he wasn't sure whether or not the complex words spoken were added for show. Perhaps she was that conceited; either way, the complacency irked the mercenary, partially because the apparent sententious manner in which the woman conducted herself was shared among the same aristocratic folk 2714 strangled with garrote wire. He crossed his arms, apathetic towards with the woman's explanation.

Hm. Perhaps, again, he was overthinking matters. The recent mission, the memories business— all of it had put him on a constant edge, one that cigarettes failed to blunt.

"Mhm." He replied in short, his tone still neutral. The triangle centered on the pitch visor thrummed to life and glowed an intense crimson as he disengaged from his covert mode, an act which he'd forgotten to do earlier but now remembered. The woman finished her thought and flashed him a smile

"Your presence intrigues me. I am most curious who you are, and why you are here."

"I get sent by my employers to fix a variety of problems. If I'm being completely honest, I'm here out of a want to return your sister. That, and I had free time to spend." 2714 responded in the constant monotone his voice often carried, the tone standing in contrast to the casual conversation he was currently holding. He tilted his head to the side again.

"I'm curious what makes you so curious. About me, specifically."

illirica wrote:?
Last edited by Quirbles on Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The D is silent, hillbilly.

Gimmick

Post by Gimmick » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:26 pm

Orph wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:11 pm
Gimmick wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:50 pm
--
Adams didn't look quite as inhuman as Carter had been expecting. For someone who's been chased down by angry mobs, he basically looks like a blue human with a tail. Not quite the most inhuman meta out there. Though I suppose people inclined towards joining angry mobs aren't going to distinguish.

The Second Shadow didn't respond to the threat, simply remaining still. In the darkness, his form was still only half-visible, his eyes hidden by pure-white reflective lenses.

"I'm Abaddon. You probably haven't heard of me- I try to keep it that way. I work for some powerful individuals, who are interested in putting together a group of... 'super-heroes,' if you like. Powered individuals who are inclined towards helping others. I came here intending to offer you a place in that group. You'd be compensated more than fairly, provided better living conditions than this." He gestured around the apartment. "I know you've killed people before, but based on your actions, I don't believe you're a 'super-villain,' or even a criminal. Whether it was self-defense or related to your abilities, you can rest assured it won't be a problem with us."

It's not like any of our hands are so clean. Even flyboy's out a few holes in people.

"And best of all, I can pretty safely promise you won't have to worry about angry mobs any more."
"I'm no hero." Wesley shook his head, quickly, and stepping back, toward his shadowy part of the room. "I'm not a good guy. I mean, I am, but there's a part of me that isn't, a part of me that... gets the better of me sometimes. I'm what your heroes would be going after." Wesley shuddered. Other supers. They most likely wouldn't take kindly to him, especially with the nature of his 'gifts'.

"I'm no villain, but I am what I am. Now, please... Go." One three fingered hand gestured toward the door, yellow eyes closed now.

Orph

Post by Orph » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:12 pm

Gimmick wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:26 pm
--
If he hadn't been wearing the armor, Carter would have pinched his temple. Knowing he had to project his best 'intimidating shadow of the night,' he settled for silently berating himself. Try phrasing things better next time, dumbass.

"Wesley... I don't mean 'hero' in the traditional sense. It's why I'm here, and not some twit who shits rainbows to fly. More heroes in the 'Our Troops are Real American Heroes' sense, just with less insufferable jingoism. Hell, having a darker side is almost a prerequisite. I'm not asking you to do parades or visit schools, I'm asking you to help deal with the city-destroyers and child-cannibalisers of the world."

Hm. Hope that's not too off-putting for him.

"Not to mention, it's hardly a full-time job. Most days, you'll just be able to have... a life. An actual home, for one. I don't go out and stop mass-murders every day, just once every week or two." He paused, as if considering, though Abaddon had intended to get around to this point sooner or later. "Tell you what. We can go out for a patrol, see what there is to see. After you've done the good-guy thing with me for a night, you can decide how you feel."

Austin

Post by Austin » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:21 pm

The rhythmic melody of Beethoven seemed to flood the air as four shadowy figures stood just on the other side of the door that led to the source of the uplifting notes. The four figures, of which only one was male, all glanced cautiously towards the red wooden door. These hunters had found their prey but, was it worth it to face him when he appeared to be cornered in an old theater? Probably not the smartest idea because Apollo only got cornered when he was low on glucose or when he allowed himself to be. “The coward wants to be caught” The male, Jason, tells the three other women what they already knew.

Apollo watched enthusiastically as the small group of four led by Jason made their way into the auditorium where Apollo's fingers danced gracefully over the ivory keys of the antique piano that had been left on stage since the last time it was played. The group that Apollo’s eyes followed so eagerly had tracked him from his apartment in L.A all the way to this theater that they now found themselves in.

Did you know that Beethoven made this masterpiece for a woman? Just an ordinary woman, mind you." Apollo asked to the group the slowly made their way down the rows of shabby seats that once held thousands of people. Apollo continued once they got closer to the stage “ Do you know what the woman gave Beethoven for such a wonderful gift? A child. She thought a child could have any equal value to music? Nonsense is what I say to that. A child will eventually die. Music will never die.”

Luke, Why did you kill my sister?” Jason asks, watching Apollo reach into a bag on the piano to pull out a burger. “Is this really a time to eat?!” He exclaims, a slight undertone of annoyance creeping into his voive.

Jason, Jason, Jason. Or should I call you The eternal gunslinger? How about the outlaw from hell?” Jason smiled as he plunged his teeth into his sixteenth burger. “It is always a good time to eat for a god." Apollo informed as he glanced over his company. Jason looked no different than how he usually looked. He wore his black jacket made from cow leather and had both of his pistols strapped to either side of his torso. The eternal gunslinger was the nickname that he had earned from his talent with guns and his seeming endless life. One could barley see the red hair under his baseball cap. His three partners, triplets in fact, stood behind Jason. Armed to the teeth with explosives and throwing knives.

You're not a god. You never will be” Jason said through gritted teeth.

Perhaps I am. Perhaps I am not. However, I am the closest thing that you will ever see.” Apollo spoke carelessly. “I killed your sister because she was not unlike the woman that Beethoven had given his song to. Your sister tried to gift me with a child Jason. Did she know she was pregnant? Probably not. I didn’t know until that night in L.A.. I felt it’s heartbeat, felt the lightning that flowed through it and I had to kill the mother with the child. There are already too many abominations in this world. Too many problems have came from us and I could not let anyone give birth to one that I had fathered.” Jason said as he stood from his seat; anger rising in his voice. “Now, I would like to finish the rest of my twenty-nine burgers while looking at the chaos within this city. Do not try to hunt me again!" Apollo cautiously picked up his bag of food. He winked at the woman on the far right before taking a step towards the door. A large explosion could be heard as Apollo started running It wasn’t a real explosion; rather it was Apollo breaking the sound barrier. Within a second, Apollo was sitting on a bench located on the side of the street, small holes burned in random spots over his clothes. “Number seventeen.” Apollo muttered to himself as he reached into his bag of burgers.

Oh, I'm not like The Flash at all. Some would say I'm the Reverse
For the kingdom of God awaits me, for I am saved by the blood of christ

Gimmick

Post by Gimmick » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:44 pm

Orph wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:12 pm
Gimmick wrote:
--
"Child... cannibalisers..." Wesley murmured, fairly certain that that wasn't a word. He thought, long and hard, silent for moments after Abaddon spoke. It was an offer, certainly. A way to move forward. A way to not be a total monster. But... damn it. His mind racing with ideas as to what could happen, what could go wrong, he almost seemed to shrink back. But his words defied him, and Wesley said, somewhat shakily,

"Just one patrol. The good-guy thing."
With a nod, he stood up straight, convincing his own body that he was braver than he actually was. Running his fingers through his hair to fix the mess, he nodded a couple times more, more for himself than for Carter.

"I am in.. short supply of friends. Mr... Abaddon. I'll take you up on the offer." Gimmick managed a weak smile now, his fangs showing, but fading as he ceased. Don't panic, Adams...

Orph

Post by Orph » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:10 pm

Outwardly, Abaddon smiled. He was positioned in the shadows so that his lower face, exposed by his mask, would be ahrd to make out, but the grin would be unmistakable. Inwardly, Carter was analyzing the situation with a detached view. Perhaps I'm coming on too strong, so to speak. I clearly underestimated the extent to which his abilities, and the related experiences, have affected him. Best to keep this situation low-stress. A shame we're not in D.C., it would have been far easier to give him a tour of an office or something.

"Excellent. Come with me, then." He strode towards the balcony, the same place where Adams had entered, though to Carter's eyes he'd only seen the man simply appear. From his utility belt, the Black Phantom grabbed his grapnel. They were decently high-up already, so instead of firing it at a higher building, he attached the grapnel to the balcony's railing, the high-powered magnets securely attaching him. Then, he leapt off of the railing, and descended onto a rooftop below.

Once Wesley was near enough, the Second Shadow spoke again. "We'll cover as much of the city as we can, see what we can see. This palce being what it is, I don't doubt we'll find something to occupy our time. And if not, we can talk more about where you might want to live, if not here. I imagine you'll want to move out of Detroit, right?"
Gimmick wrote:
--

Gimmick

Post by Gimmick » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:23 am

Orph wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:10 pm
Gimmick wrote:
--
Wesley nodded his head a few more times, tightening his raincoat and turning toward the window. Abaddon got there first, and made his daring jump to down below, using a fancy gadget to take him safely. Neat. Gadgetry was a much nicer thing to look at than what Wesley did. Of course, he assumed Abaddon knew of his talents, and thus, made no effort to hide them. Popping up the collar to his trench coat to help better hide his face, Wesley leaped out of the window, swan diving toward the rooftop below. A fall that would kill or seriously injure a normal man, Wesley used the grappling hook that Abaddon had fired to his advantage, wrapping his tail and feet around the wire to slow his momentum before leaping onto the actual roof.

The silent landing of the catlike Gimmick was met with the caped one's synopsis of the night's activities. "There's always a fight brewing around here." He muttered, glaring down to the streets below, where even now a drunkard walked unsupervised. Harmless... But occasionally, not so. Turning back, his yellow eyes narrowed. "The offer of a home is... convincing, but I still need to say yes to the actual 'crimefighting'. Do not mistake my purpose here tonight."

Trust made a fool out of many people. Caution did not.